What is the best way to handle inventory slots?

lonelyVoxel

the extra benched units in your team are essentially extra convoy space as well.

whilst it's convenient to separate usable items and equippable rings and the like from weapons, there is an element of strategy in outfitting your characters better with less slots, so I'm biased towards 5.

Does anybody actually come close to filling the convoys anyway? The only time I do is during a ranked run of FE7 or something when you have to hoard a bunch of stuff for the funds rank.

As for the topic at hand, 5 inventory spaces is more than enough, but it really depends on the game. FE4 needed 7 slots, whereas FE9 really didn't. (FE9 had 7 as well right? It's been a while)

Path of Radiance had 8 but it was up to 4 weapons and up to 4 items so not really 8 since most people don't tend to carry around four vulneraries.

I'm sure there would be an upper limit due to coding, but if no one is reasonably going to hit it, it's effectively unlimited.

"effectively unlimited" isn't congruent to "unlimited." someone who's interested in defining effectively unlimited convoy space would still name an upper limit.

Does anybody actually come close to filling the convoys anyway? The only time I do is during a ranked run of FE7 or something when you have to hoard a bunch of stuff for the funds rank.

I overbuy all the time, so I tend to fill it.

the extra benched units in your team are essentially extra convoy space as well.

This is honestly the reason I feel there shouldn't be such convoy limits; you can still get more items, it just becomes more tedious to manage them

"effectively unlimited" isn't congruent to "unlimited." someone who's interested in defining effectively unlimited convoy space would still name an upper limit.

This is a worthless point to make. The idea is to not have to worry about convoy space. No one gives a shit what the difference between "unlimited" and "effectively unlimited" is.

This is a worthless point to make. The idea is to not have to worry about convoy space. No one gives a shit what the difference between "unlimited" and "effectively unlimited" is.

yeah okay. 100 item slots is effectively unlimited. no one should need more than 100 item slots. you would disagree, so obviously my distinction is important, because what is effectively unlimited to me could be problematic for you.

suppose the convoy limit were 1023 item slots. someone is bound to ask, why are there so many item slots. 1023 is effectively unlimited for pretty much anyone, but it's way too much.

yeah okay. 100 item slots is effectively unlimited. no one should need more than 100 item slots. you would disagree, so obviously my distinction is important, because what is effectively unlimited to me could be problematic for you.

suppose the convoy limit were 1023 item slots. someone is bound to ask, why are there so many item slots. 1023 is effectively unlimited for pretty much anyone, but it's way too much.

Obviously 100 items is not anywhere near being universally agreed as effectively unlimited (and when going for ranks, as Horace mentioned, it becomes a legitimate issue), while 1023 probably would be.

Is there a reason for you to do this aside from being needlessly antagonistic? Do you actually have a problem with more convoy space? Because if you just want to argue terminology, consider this discussion over.

If we consider money to be a finite resource as it is in most games, then you can have a convoy that is large enough to fit every possible item obtainable in the game thus making it unlimited in every practical sense of the word.

I'm fine with the convoy max of 100 in most of the games that have it (and the 300 for RD when all the convoys merged...it was 300, right?). I just think that if the game has tons of grinding and DLC/postgame stuff, the limit should be raised substantially so that you pretty much never have to pay attention to it. I don't know what FE13's upper limit was, but I think whatever it was was fine.

If we consider money to be a finite resource as it is in most games, then you can have a convoy that is large enough to fit every possible item obtainable in the game thus making it unlimited in every practical sense of the word.

There's one other way I can think of that makes it limited: hacking in additional items, or hacking in additional money which allows you to buy additional items and go over the limit on items you'd normally have.

I mean, I think hacking is practical enough. I'm not trying to "poke holes in your argument" or w/e, just adding on something that occurred to me.

Edited by Severlan

arena abuse

999,999 gold is not enough

The difference between "actually unlimited" and "practically unlimited" isn't hard to grasp.

I like limited convoys, but it depends on the game and its goals. A postgame-heavy title like Awakening does well with greater convoy space, whereas I feel Thracia would have benefited from a more restrictive convoy. If the series returns to a Merlinus-style deployment convoy, I think it'd be neat to see convoy space increase with level-ups.

The difference between "actually unlimited" and "practically unlimited" isn't hard to grasp.

I like limited convoys, but it depends on the game and its goals. A postgame-heavy title like Awakening does well with greater convoy space, whereas I feel Thracia would have benefited from a more restrictive convoy. If the series returns to a Merlinus-style deployment convoy, I think it'd be neat to see convoy space increase with level-ups.

To take that idea of space increasing with level ups... What if con growth was possible and it affected slots? Like... Higher con equals more inventory space from a base of 3-4 to something like 7-8? Those numbers could change, but it would be interesting concept to me.

...if we go with just the basic slots idea, then 6 seems like a good compromise as many have suggested between 5 and 7. :)

To take that idea of space increasing with level ups... What if con growth was possible and it affected slots? Like... Higher con equals more inventory space from a base of 3-4 to something like 7-8? Those numbers could change, but it would be interesting concept to me.

...if we go with just the basic slots idea, then 6 seems like a good compromise as many have suggested between 5 and 7. :)

I actually really like this idea though I feel as if many people wouldn't. Feeling it more constricting than anything else.

Just to recap what all of the inventories were like in each game... Honestly, I don't know what most of them were, so hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks (i.e. the question marks).

FE1: ??

FE2: ??

FE3: 4/4

FE4: ??

FE5: ??

FE6: 5

FE7: 5

FE8: 5

FE9: 4/4

FE10: 7

FE11: 5

FE12: ??

FE13: 5

Honestly, I like the way FE3 and FE9 did it.

Just to recap what all of the inventories were like in each game... Honestly, I don't know what most of them were, so hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks (i.e. the question marks).

FE1: ??

FE2: ??

FE3: 4/4

FE4: ??

FE5: ??

FE6: 5

FE7: 5

FE8: 5

FE9: 4/4

FE10: 7

FE11: 5

FE12: ??

FE13: 5

Honestly, I like the way FE3 and FE9 did it.

FE1 and FE12 have 5 inventory slots IIRC.

FE2 has one inventory slot per character.

FE4 and 5 have 7 inventory slots.

It should be noted that the 1 slot in Gaiden was a unique circumstance since weapons can't break and you didn't even need one on you to attack leaving that slot available to use stuff like shields.