Masquerade Part 2.2: Klaatu, Barada... Necktie

Nanami Touko

"Well, if you're sure you're okay," Valha told Ingverd after his reassurance. "If you're worried, I'll always be here, okay?" She ruffled her feathers when Ingverd sat up, straightening them out. "Hey, Trist is awesome! I'm sure we'll do great out there, no matter what we run into, because we're the best!"

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maja was about to happily sit and enjoy her meal on a seat when a squishy thing forcefully made her way to... straight out take the seat besides Lanos. Vriska just squeezed in before either Maja or Lanos could react. The reaction was a rather blank face from Maja, pretty much saying 'did this just really happen' without the words, or reaction time. "Oh. Oh! Hello, Vriska!" Maja replied, blinking in surprise. "Did you sleep well?" Almost at a loss for words, she let Vriska be when Lanos asked her for a piece of her bread. "Oh, but of course! Here, take some." Crouching to free a hand from her cup of juice, now resting in the floor, she broke the soft, white bread in two slices with her hands. "Here, should be really fresh, it looks the part!" She gave one slice to Lanos. With the deed done, Maja looked back to her own slice, then to Lanos again, then to Vriska. "Ah, do you want something to eat too, Vriska? I could go and get more food for us three, I don't think just a slice of bread will be enough. Is it, Lanos?" She proposed.

----------------------------

Kadin glanced at the couches from time to time, just satisfied making sure Maja was doing ok. Then a pleasant feeling hit him --the smell of food. Ah... I feel like I could try eat again... should I be? Well, it's been a long while. It can't hurt, right? Taking a few steps to be next to the counter, Kadin offered a request. "Ma'am, would there happen to be pancakes for today? If so, I would like to have some. If you don't mind." Kadin took his helmet off, a somewhat eager feeling easing his mood. Hmm... This takes me back to Sophia's breakfasts... I wonder if she's still doing these, in the afterlife. Despite the complications his past seemed to open up, he decided to drop that paranoid side of his, just this once.

Edited by Xinnidy

As Kendeall seemed about ready to wolf down half the menu of the inn's cuisine, he had a nerdy chill run up his spine as Vriska descended into the main lobby, eliciting a grumpy and pained groan from the axeman.

Great. Just when I thought I could have a nice peaceful breakfast without having to hear that girl speak.

Standing up, Kendeall glanced towards the back. "Actually, gimme a bit first. There's something I'm gonna go pick up before I eat, if that's okay." Kendeall called out to the innkeeper, as he left the inn abruptly. He knew it was a bit... rude to leave in the manner that he did, with barely so much as a 'by your leave', but Kendeall was just not in the mood to deal with Vriska's shit this morning, even if the chance of him being singled out by the nerd was... low, to say the least. He figured that she'd learned her lesson from the soaking yesterday.

He still didn't regret any of that, especially if it taught her how to treat people better. Considering how she went straight to Lanos this morning, he figured that was a success. Somewhat. Maybe.

"Mr Arrows? Is that what you're calling me now?" Angus tried to disgruntled at first, but failed and just ended up laughing at the name. "Well, I'd like to think that the bears would stay away from us since we're a large group and all, so I'm not too worried. Safety in numbers and all." It was at this point that the archer was approached by... another archer. That was new.

"Uh, yeah, I'm Angus. Nice to meet you too?" he replied, caught off guard somewhat by how forward the elf was. "I've been using a bow since I was a kid I guess. It's a family thing. My dad was pretty good with a bow, so he taught me and my brother everything he knew about them. What about you?"

Mornings

Makin blushed. Raith was... Being a bit obnoxious, but nothing she hadn't been used to, over the years. It just came as a bit of a surprise. "Not a morning person, are you?" she chided, elbowing him lightly in the side with a playful grin and releasing his arm, so if he wished to stretch it didn't look like weird yoga. "You make sure you do catch up on sleep... I'd rather not tire you out entirely. Though... Y'know, I hope you don't mind staying up a few nights." She smiled, not giving him any more of a facial hint than that, and led him towards the counter, where a rather stressed Sara was running in and out of the kitchen.

She nodded at Kendeall, already getting Kadin's pancakes on the go, and then shuddered at Raith's yelling whine. "YES!" she shouted back, as the two came over. She'd already fixed him a plate of hashbrowns and ham that had been on the go for a few minutes, giving him a near forced smile and getting back to work.

"Wow, that was... That was really fast." Makin was rather impressed by Sara's skill at this. Treating an entire room of mercenaries in a flash couldn't have been something you picked up overnight... Then again, she'd probably been doing this for years, so it was something she must have honed over time. "Well, sit and eat. I think I'll wait until we're on the road and then tear into something cooler, while I still can. I'm going to need a lot of heat when we hit the tundra... A lot." The urge to wink was really strong, but she held back, leaning onto the counter and humming to try and distract herself.

The Smell of Food

"I'm just fine." Ingverd went back to smiling, hoping to put his worries back in the little mental space he kept them. He'd have plenty of time to mull things out on the trip, not during their time here, in good company, on such a fine morning. "He is awesome! I can't wait to see him fight. I haven't fought alongside a fellow elf since... Well, since the old company." Ingverd's smile remained, but there was a tinge of sadness in it.

"His name was Troy. He was pretty bulky for an elf. Might've been half, always claimed he wasn't. And he fought with the weirdest... Weirdest combined style of strength and finesse. It was like watching a bull rage around a room, and yet, when it was done, everything would still be where it had been. Nothing disturbed. I always tried to model my own aim after his, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. And I'll never get that strong, ahaha. But... Well, he left along with the rest of them, when Gerrod..." He cut himself off. His smile faded for a moment, but it came back when he zoned back into reality.

"Aha, sorry! I started rambling there... Tristram!" he said, wanting to change the subject. "Why don't you tell us about some of the people you've worked with? I don't think you've told me what you did before hopping onto this wagon." At the same time as he changed the subject, the smell of what the kitchen was cooking hit him, and he almost shivered. It smelled great, food like that in the morning. Ahhh... In a bit.

Awake Yet?

Apparently not. Vriska was simply enjoying sitting to Lanos, and didn't really pick up on much of the conversation until Maja asked her if she wanted something to eat. "Hmmmm?" She raised her head out of her book and thought about it. "Uhhhh, sure, if you're offering to get it. Thanks." Absently, she went back to reading, and ended up resting her head on Lanos' shoulder. There was no reason for why she couldn't get herself comfortable, even if she was dreadfully tired.

"Ah thanks," Lanos said as he took the bread and bit into it. As Maja promised, it was really fresh and tasted super good. "If you don't mind, then please," Lanos said, thanks in his voice. Lanos took another bite of his piece of bread and swallowed it just in time to avoid choking on it as he yawned, streching his wings towards the ceiling. This disturbed Vriska, who had rested her head on his shoulder. As he brought his wings down, one rubbed at his eyes again and the other wrapped itself around the sleepy mage.

Trist had been blushing slightly as they talked about how awesome he was right in front of him. It didn't help that Ingverd was rather attractive even though Trist knew that he and Valha were involved. Ah well. Suddenly he found himself being asked a question. The blush deepened and he stammered, "Err, ah, oh, uhm, nothing really interesting. I was a courier for a metal work business in Bau Berg. It started when I was still young, I would just do chores, but then I got Amira, and started to take loads of finished work to other cities, as well as try to scout out possible new places for the boss to sell stuff. That's actually what this trip was for. I just sent him the information via letter. Hopefully he's not too mad, ha. Though... he was always encouraging me to do more with my life, so I doubt he will be."

"EEEEEEEK!"

Unlike the others, Meredith had a room to herself. She'd spent the remainder of the final day walking around the city one last time. Though it wasn't home, she was loathe to pack up and move. Still, she was under orders to go with the mercenaries. Today was the big day, and she'd overslept. She hurriedly grabbed her gear and ran towards the inn. Miraculously, her worst offenses were bumping into people with her bags (as opposed to accidentally taking out an eye or three with her lance).

"Made it!" she exclaimed, as she burst into the inn. Along the way, she'd snagged some rolls, which she'd stuffed into her mouth as she dashed from her (former) room to her current location. Some of the crumbs decorated her mouth, while others found their way onto her shirt. She quickly swiped the back of her hand across her mouth, and let out a sigh. "This is the rest of the group?" Her eyes narrowed as she caught sight of a familiar elf. "Why does this not surprise me?" she mumbled to herself.

Valha listened to Ingverd and Tristram's stories, leaning on Ingverd's shoulder. "That's really cool! You guys have done this sorta roaming stuff with jobs for a while, huh? I was here in Felson for most of my life since we didn't really have many options, 'n no jobs, anyway, since I'm pretty sure bein' a thief doesn't count." Valha bit her lip at the thought. "Some of 'em deserved it, but I never felt good about takin' from someone else who was poor... I still don't like to think about it. That's just how things are here... that's why I wanna change everythin'." She ruffled her feathers in discomfort at the situation.

"Alrighty then!" Maja saluted with her off-hand, still standing there in time to see Vriska and Lanos nuzzle closer. That's... super adorable. She kept holding back a smile, something in her not wanting to react to their closeness as much as two days ago. She crouched again to pick her cup of juice (lest she forget and someone kick it by accident, the waste), and made her way to the counter again, recognizing a familiar and very welcome face. "Kadin! Good morning!" The girl greeted, some energy coming back to her. "How was your night? Are you getting used to your body? I couldn't recognize you with that helmet on!"

Bombarded with questions and exclamations, Kadin turned to meet whom he already expected, a small grin showing itself. "Good morning, and thank you. I am fine, no need to worry, Maja." Kadin politely replied, "I am not entirely used to this body, but I probably got more rest than anyone else. Or, at least, I feel like I did." He reassured the girl. "Now, I am going to see how eating goes, I am sure it will be an experience." His grin turned to a genuine smile. Kadin was deriving some joy of being human again, at least.

"That's wonderful!" Maja would have clasped her hands at that, but they were currently occupied, making the girl move her arms awkwardly for a moment. "Well, go ahead! I hope you like the breakfast! I'm here to get food for Lanos and Vriska, they're still pretty tired." Maja explained, quite excited at how wonderfully the day started, at least to her. "Oh, I forgot to ask yesterday! Did you speak to Makin about how you changed? Are the others aware?"

"Oh, that I did. I spoke to Makin yesterday, she already knows." Kadin reassured. "However, I think it will take a while for her and the group to get used to. I wouldn't blame them." Kadin relaxed, taking a seat while he waited for his meal. "You are serving your friends, now? What are you, a barmaid?" Kadin joked, "Do not get tricked to work for a low rate, ten coins per hour, at least. That's minimum wage." With a chuckle, Kadin decided that was enough jesting.

"Ah. No! I just decided I could help, and they looked so tired!" Maja tried to explain, as if trying to prove a point that wasn't quite necessary. "Nothing wrong with that, right? Well, anyways, I'm glad you can still stay, it'll be much safer on the road with you there!" Maja quickly deflected the topic, turning to Sara. "Hi a-gain~!" Drawing out her greeting to sound a bit more friendly, Maja addressed the innkeeper. "Could I get a meal for two, pleeeease?"

Kadin chuckled again, yet let out a sigh right after. Ah, that was not quite what I expected, you get flustered too easy, Maja. Maybe I should help you talk to others more, to grow a bit sharper. Kadin turned to face the counter once more, patiently waiting his meal. "Hmm... you do not have to prepare mine posthaste, if you are too busy. I am in no hurry." He suggested to the innkeeper, deciding to ease her busy morning... or at least try. It's the thought that counts, right?

Edited by Xinnidy

"Mmmf, thish ish pretty good Sharah, thanksh," he muttered, stuffing his mouth as soon as the plate hit the table. With his stomach appeased, he was starting to feel a little better.

"A lot of heat, huh? I think I saw Vriska the other day whipping up a few fire spells. You could probably ask her to warm you up for a while, yeah? I'm pretty sure that Kendeall guy knows magic too... " he said, acting oblivious to Makin's true intent. He tore into his meal some more, and glanced over at Makin. "You want some?" he asked, pushing his plate closer to her.

Even in The Morning

So he was going to play this game with her, even this early. Makin wasn't sure if she should step up her game or if she should just give it up, so while she stared over the slice of ham, she thought about it. Nah. "I guess I'll ask them, then. I was hoping you'd provide, but if you won't, that's fine. Disappointing, but fine." She smirked, shrugged, and cut herself off a huge piece of the ham, idly chewing on it. As she did, she decided, why not, and leaned against Raith lightly. "Still tired. Hope you don't mind..." Chew, chew, chew. "And, we'll get moving as soon as everyone's ready." Swallow. "I know I'm probably not the only one who's ready to leave this city behind for a while... Not that everything's been terrible." She glanced a smile at him and began chewing on some more of the ham, even more idly.

Then the door swung open, leaving Makin one more person to greet. "Ah, Meredith! You made it. Fantastic. We're just eating before we leave. Make yourself comfortable!" And back to, gently, resting against Raith.

Real Talk

"A courier for metal work, eh? Surely you'll have seen plenty of impressive pieces, then." Weapons and armor and the like entranced Ingverd. Not to the extent that he ever wanted to work on them, but seeing them, wearing them, definitely using them; that all brought a weird joy to him. "I think you should be doing more with your life, even if it was steady work. I mean, what's life without some change and excitement now and then? I feel if I had to settle into such a routine I'd go... Mad." He smirked. Well, not for long. Valha couldn't really follow her own advice. "Hey..." He wasn't about to tell her to stop, how insensitive would that sound? But he didn't know how to word it to change the subject and cheer her up. Hmmm... If she was Makin I'd just be frank, but I'd rather not push any buttons. Not with her so comfortably sat on my shoulder. He was enjoying that bit more than enough to make up for the depressing turn.

Slowly and softly, he put an arm around her, giving her a gentle squeeze. "We're doing this job for Cedric, right? Maybe it'll help the city's situation, enough that he could get some more sway on the council. I'm sure with another push he could get things moving. He seemed nice enough. I know that's not you changing things with your own ha-- er, claws." He cleared his throat lightly. "But it's something. So let's focus on that. Whatever we find in Karstell will help things here, I know it." He went back to smiling.

Counter

"Maja, right, two? Okay." Sara was in FULL WORK MODE and was dealing with three different pans, cooking at least four different foods. "Kadin, pancakes, here you go!" she said, slapping a plate down in front of him without even skipping a beat or listening to what he'd said. Good thing she'd already had food going, as one, then two plates followed shortly after, with the same basic ham and hashbrowns that Raith and Makin were now taking part of. "And you're good, Maja! Who's next?" she asked to... Nobody. Well. Guess I'll just keep some more cooking on low.

Sleepy

Vriska grumbled. "Heyyyy, I was-- oh. Oh..." And then turned red, as Lanos' wing came around her. She gently closed her book and nestled closer, taking full advantage of her situation. I shouldn't sleep more, but... I'm so comfy... As she wrestled mentally with weak comments, her eyes slowly closed, and she began to lightly snore, dozing off right there. Whoops.

Edited by I have opinions

Oh, there's time to eat? Meredith shoved her way forward, while some nameless deity kept her lance point away from anything that could yelp in pain. "Oh, there's enough time left to get something! Uh, I'll take two scrambled eggs and some toast with whatever jam is available," she yelled hastily to whoever was behind the counter.

It seemed the innkeeper had not heard Kadin's suggestion. Well, if they could handle it, that is fine. Kadin shrugged and took his plate, trying his first bite with reluctance. Chew. He could taste it fine, a familiar palate, even. Blinking, Kadin's eyes wandered as he was lost in thought, This... does bring me back, a little. Swallow. He felt fine, as if his body worked fine from the inside, instead of... whatever else it could be. Kadin sighed in slight relief, I guess I can still eat, I hope this will not give me some terrible stomachace. Looking back at the counter, he saw Maja's order was already done, as well. Hmm, that is fast, indeed. "Alright, Maja, I'll see you, then." He preemptively dismissed the girl, briefly pointing at the plates. "There's still some time until we leave, but we should be getting ready. Your friends, and the others, as well. Make sure they're ready." Hopefully that'd encourage the girl to interact more actively.

"Eh? Oh! Wow, it's already done. Thanks." Maja was surprised to see not one, but two plates in such short notice. "Oh, alright, Kadin, I'll help them out. I'll just keep my food here first, okay?" She put down her own place and cup at the counter to pick up Lanos' and Vriska's --she only had two hands, and all that.

Maja walked back to the couple, now in an even more adorable nuzzle. Vriska was even napping against Lanos, too! "Ah, uh, here's your food, Lanos." Maja interrupted, serving a plate to Lanos and placing the other at the nearest table. "This is Vriska's but... well, she looks like she wants to sleep some more. I'll just leave it here." She said, trying not to disrupt them too much. "Ah, if you need help packing up, I'll be at the counter. I'm already done, anyways, so I can help!"

Edited by Xinnidy

Lanos hadn't expected Vriska to nestle up to him when he put his wing around her, but he couldn't help but smile. He was reminded of yesterday morning, when he was the center of all the attention and rather uncomfortable. But that wasn't the case today, no one was really focusing on him; well, the one person who would be had fallen asleep anyway. He felt comfy and his fear of falling asleep and returning to his dream had pretty much vanished with Vriska's presence. All that was keeping him awake was not wanting to sleep more and that argument was quickly failing. He let out another yawn and closed his eyes, slowly falling asleep

Or he would have if Maja hadn't arrived at that moment with his and Vriska's food. It was enough to break sleep hold over him, for now anyway. "Thanks..." he said drowsily as he took the plate Maja offered him. Despite wanting the food, he had nearly been asleep and thus was still a little slow. He decided to let the food sit and cool off a little, he wasn't in a big hurry. "I don't know about Vriska but I'm already set to leave whenever." He almost stopped talking but suddenly remembered the weird prize he'd gotten at the arena yesterday. He fished it out of his pocket, luckily the one opposite to Vriska and showed it to Maja. "Do you know what this is or what it does? I got it from the arena yesterday as a prize but I just don't know what to do with it."

Vesta shrugged, pouring the rest of the clear liquid into her coffee. She took a long swig and grimaced. It tasted at least ten times worse now. Still, she figured that she wouldn't get the chance to drink coffee or booze very often out in the frozen wasteland, so she should enjoy this opportunity in the most efficient way possible.

"The way I see it, Mr.Arrows is a perfectly respectable nickname. Better'n 'Meatball' which was what my 'ma called me for a few years... Never understood the logic behind that one. Hullo Miss Heather, glad to see ya managed to join this merry menagerie after all." She added with a wave, happy to see another face she vaguely recognised amidst the growing crowd.

"some crowd huh? didn't think this would be such a colourful bunch, that's for sure." She said with a grin, peering around the room and sipping her foul breakfast concoction. She figured that maybe this experience wasn't so bad, as long as she didn't end up living up to that childhood nickname at any point...

Sonia found herself slowly floating away from the mercenaries, who by now had started to break themelves into smaller groups. Still not good with crowds... Except if she was going to be with them for the foreseeable future, she'd have to start somewhere. Wait a minute, is that the ghost? Can he really do that, just un-undead himself? One way to find out. "Hey, you're Kadin, right? You look... Solid. How are you?" Probably not the best first impression, in hindsight. Better than asking what it's like outright.

Edited by algae

Valha squeaked quietly when Ingverd pulled her in closer to him. "Sorry... I just get all riled up thinkin' about it," she murmured. "Maybe you're right, that I shouldn't worry about it so much. I'm not strong enough yet that one little bird like me's gonna make a big enough difference, anyway. Keep movin' on..." She shook her head and closed her eyes, then leaned more against Ingverd. "Maybe Vriska's got the right idea. You're a nice pillow too, you should know. Not that I'm too tired, but if I was, I might come see you." The harpy leaned over and kissed his cheek before returning to her relaxed position on his shoulder. "Hmm, I'm hungry..."

Kendeall still could barely remember where the hell Burke's shop was. Of course, barely was better than nothing, and he eventually found it once more. Walking into the blacksmith's shop, he reached the counter and leaned up against it, calling to the man in the back. "Hey, Burke. I'm here to pick up that tome you were fixing up for me." Kendeall called out, reaching into his gold pouch for money just in case. Had he paid in advance? He didn't remember.

"Hmm? Oh, let me see." Maja looked closer at the trinket. "It... feels like it should be magical. Hum..." She put a finger close to the charm, trying to sense if it would even react to her. It was almost as if the trinket rejected her finger, but Maja could sense it was a barrier, a very small one. Still, to be held in such a small accessory... "This should protect you from magic attacks. It's not very strong, but it should help your natural resilience against magic some." Maja was a bit glad some of her knowledge from healing and protective magic came to use. At least, I don't regret learning... "So, yeah! If you hold on to that, magic attacks will hurt a bit less, I think you'll find." Kinda wish I had one of these yesterday...

----------------------

"...Yes? Kadin turned to the inquiring voice. "Yes, I am Kadin. Well... You would be right, I am more 'Solid'. It... sort of happened yesterday. I feel it might have to do with how much I remember about myself, Miss..." Kadin blanked. I don't think I quite remember her name... "I'm sorry, what is your name, Miss?" Kadin tried to sound apologetic.

"Ah, Sonia, very well." Kadin tried to commit it to memory. "I... have no idea what will happen. This... manifest, was a surprise of its own. Your guess is as good as mine" He sighed. "Honestly, with how much still does not match, I am more concerned about what the truth really is..." Idly commenting, he stared back at his plate, thoughts flying through his conscience. "Apparently, my name is quite tarnished here. It is best not to mention it to the guards and the nobles, should we return. At least, not as an acquaintance, even Maja received hostility in return." Kadin blurted out, as both a warning and a hint. The mercenaries should know, it is not safe with me. Perhaps some would be like Maja and try to help, as well... Despite his decision, Kadin was still pensive, a distant look in his eyes.

Professional

Sara served up a plate of scrambled eggs and threw some bread onto a pan as soon as Meredith asked. "Toast'll be fried up soon! Hope you like strawberry." It was the most readily available jam that they had in the inn, and Sara didn't feel like fishing for other types when she was still getting so much other food ready.

Space

Even with his skin as dark as it was, it was impossible to hide the red creeping onto his cheeks, but, he remained smooth. "I'm glad I'm comfortable. You're free to see me any time, Valha. I'm sure the both of us could use a bit of extra comfort, out in the cold." He smiled, and chuckled a bit, trying not to be too embarrassed that Valha was getting to close and personal with Tristram sitting right there. "We'll see what we can get solved, and then worry about it. Worry now'll just make us anxious over the trip." The smell of more, amazing cooked foods lingered in his nose, and cut off his train of thought. "You hungry too?" Well, I don't exactly want to move... "Uhm... Tristram," he began, now feeling embarrassed. "I'm a bit... Well, alright, not going to tip toe around it, I really don't want to get up right now. Do you think you could get us both some of whatever Sara's cooking?"

New and Improved

Ken's book was sitting on the counter, looking like an entirely new tome. The spine had been fixed up, there was even new paint on the leather holding the tome together. And it was radiating a weird magic, that, while not very strong, was definitely stronger than what the book held originally. But, despite Kendeall's calling, Burke didn't seem to be around. How odd. Oh well, Ken's book was there, and a tiny note asking for the rest of the gold. Ken probably should pay it. Burke didn't seem like the kind of man that liked to be dicked around, or even should be dicked around with.

Shuffle

Vriska stirred lightly in her nap, but not enough to wake up. She kept mumbling some of the words used to cast her thunder spell... But the tome was closed. So things would be fine, and no one would receive any surprise shockings.

Edited by I have opinions

Trist, who had begun feeling slightly awkward as his two companions had started snuggling, took the opportunity right away. "Ah, yes, no problem." Standing up and walking over to the counter perhaps a tad quicker than he normally would have, he smiled at Sara and asked politely, "Excuse me, when you have a chance, my two two friends over there would like some food. They're too comfortable to come over here and get it themselves, so I'm helping them out."

"Still tired? Well, that makes two," he sighed, and slouched over the table. The food was good, but didn't do much to actually alleviate his lethargy. His attention was roused up when Makin yelled out Meredith's name, but just barely. "Hey, Makin, out of curiosity, where are you from?" he asked.