Masquerade Part 2.2: Klaatu, Barada... Necktie

Nanami Touko

Trist blushed and grinned slightly, nodding at Valha. "Yeah, think I do." Heading back over towards Meredith, he pulled up a chair and sat down, grinning at her. "So, where were we? Right, you mentioned the fist arena. How'd that go?"

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, really? Aww, that's a shame. Still, I'm sure it's helpful if, like, you need to see in the dark, yeah! I'm sure it'd help more than fire magic there." Maja hoped that was reason enough to cheer up Sonia about her choice of magic (not that she ever asked to). Then again, just using magic for combat must be something else! "I'm sure light magic has helped you in a pinch, though, right? Now that I think about it, isn't it kinda curious how light magic can hurt those who aren't undead and such? I'd never imagined that from just studying healing magic." It certainly was food for thought! "Well, I'm sure Vriska or Kendeall would still help, probably."

Hearing someone so understanding and willing to help was truly reassuring for Kadin, if only for a moment. Face softening, Kadin did raise his brows when Sonia raised a good question regarding his corporeal state. "Hmm, I do feel heat and cold now, but it was not like that before." He gazed to the ceiling for a moment, recalling his earlier experiences as a ghost. "When I had essentially no recollection of my memories and had not interacted with this group, I was completely ethereal. I felt nothing concerning the natural elements, and I'm sure anima magic had no effect over me, either. However, I feel I was susceptible to both exorcisms and necromancy at that point." Kadin shuddered at the thought. "I'm pretty sure it was... as my need to stay in this plane grew, to put it, that I could feel the elements again, if I willed so. First, I was able to touch Maja physically... then an old friend." Kadin was averting his gaze now, which drifted to the floor. "And shortly after, I've sort of... 'willed' this body. It is very physical, I can be stabbed, I can feel heat, cold, and pain. Yet, I feel safer against the kind of vile magic that could target me as a ghost. In a way, it is a safety blanket, too." Reflecting over his current changes was sort of a marvel in its own. As if His will to aid me in this... I wonder why this happens?

"I don't really know how it works, either, and I've only had to fight with it a few times before joining up here." Try not to think about those times, even if it's just going to happen more now that you're fighting for profit. "I mean, not enough heat to light a fire, but enough to burn a person? It's probably explained in some piece of scripture somewhere..." Perhaps it was just those unpleasant memories leaking through, but the implication that light magic was only really useful for combat was not lost on Sonia. It stung, slightly. "Whatever the answer, it's nowhere near as useful as healing would be. I can't see the demand for that ever changing." Of course, healing probably had similar limits, but at the moment it seemed... well, magical.

An old friend? Probably a lover or something, by that reaction... "Could you go back to that, if you needed to? It seems convenient, to only have to worry about rare magic." That somewhat mindless comment only struck her as insensitive after the fact, and she immediately started to backpedal (by digging herself deeper). "N-not that it's worth the cost, I mean. Still, it must be nice to have a body again, even if it came back just in time to visit the coldest place in Ostorav. Is that good timing, or bad?" Maybe a bit too good, considering the stories about that place...

City in The Sands

"You're really that surprised? ...Have you never seen a Naga before?" Makin was a bit surprised, honored, and embarrassed, all at once. "We're almost all from there. I mean, there are a few of us who have settled down in the smaller towns and villages on the main continent, probably started families, but... If you see one, chances are they came from the city. I'm surprised you didn't know that, mr. intrepid explorer~" She managed a giggle in her tired state, sitting up and giving Raith's arm freedom from her back. "Visiting, huh? Hmm..." Makin actually thought about it, for a moment. "I won't say it hasn't happened before. Humans, visiting the city. You could probably get in if I was there with you. But, we've got things to take care of here, first. So no rushing off to visit the desert. The monsters there aren't the most welcoming, anyway." She recalled a certain experience with ant lions, and suddenly, all love of that place was lost.

And if that was all Bau Berg was, Makin was glad she hadn't missed out on visiting it, yet. "Maybe there'll be more, by the time we go see it. As for right now," she said, slipping off of her counter stool, "I'd say it's time we started moving. Everyone!" Makin addressed the room, a bit louder than her normal voice. "Wrap up whatever you're talking about. We've got plains to cross and snow to see!" She settled herself onto her tail and started for the door. "Raith? Coming?" She smirked, and slipped outside.

Luckily, Isabelle had gotten everything set up, and her cart was all ready to move. She yawned, and stared blankly at Makin. "Took you long enough."

"The group was just eating... And chatting. You know how it is, in the morning."

Isabelle scoffed. And the woman sitting next to her did her best not to be noticed.

How Things Work

"I figured as much, I just didn't know how far the human part went for her, before. How much of a snake she really is." That was some unfortunate wording. "Physically, of course." Ingverd sighed. Smooth moves. "I can't remember how to say it, but, she just explained that her temperature isn't constant. So she needs outside sources to keep it stable. Honestly, I didn't think she'd take a job on the tundra. It might kill her, and that's no joke." He bit into his toast as well, right before the snake in question called attention from everyone. Ingverd swallowed. "Suppose I'm taking this on the road, then." He slapped the piece of ham onto the rest of the toast, and slipped himself out of the couch, extending his other hand for Valha. "Shall we be off?"

Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Lanos' soft nudging did nothing but inspire Vriska to climb more onto him, practically halfway into him before Makin's shout shook her awake. She groaned, opened her eyes, realized where she was, blushed, and slid off of him, all in one amazing moment. "Ah, uh... Hey. Time to go, or something?" She saw some food, and picked herself up a hashbrown, idly munching on it. "Sorry about that. Was really tired." She was still red in the face, but she picked herself up and made for the door all the same.

Flirting

Sara was about to comment on the flirting pair again, when Makin made her announcement. She sighed, another melodramatic sigh. "I suppose that means time's up for you two~ Alas..." Only mostly joking, she turned off the heat on her food, and left a few plates on the counter for anyone that wanted to grab something to go. "For anyone that didn't get to eat yet, there's some left! Just grab it as you go! Seems your ride's leaving~!" She was happy and sad to see the mercenaries go. It was nice to have such a talkative group, but it was nice that she'd have a quiet in for a bit, afterwards."

Lanos was stuck sitting there as Vriska went from 'this is a bit inconvenient' to 'okay this is getting ridiculous'. To his relief, she woke up and slid off him before he had to do anything, though that came with the price of having to to get up. "Yeah, we're leaving." He finished what was left of his hashbrowns and picked up his and Vriska's plates over to Sara before joining back up with Vriska. "Hey..." he started to ask if she'd had a bad dream but stopped himself. "It's okay. I would've fallen back asleep too if Maja hadn't brought over our food at that exact moment when she did."

Valha listened to Ingverd go on about the dangers of the tundra as she ripped through her toast. One thing in particular he said stood out to her. "Huh... of course it could kill her. But, so can any job like this, right? It's a part of the job you have to always keep in the back of your mind- never happy about it, but never pretendin' it's not a risk, either. This time we've got an environmental hazard to deal with too, yeah, but I don't think the boss acceptin' this job is that weird at all. We're goin' somewhere that nobody goes to, so we'll just have to be extra careful."

The group was quickly told to get a move on, and Valha reluctantly stood up. "Aww, fine... I guess if we don't go now we'll never get around to it." She reached out to take Ingverd's hand, walking out with him. As they exited, Valha glimpsed someone next to Isabelle in her wagon. "Hey Ingverd... isn't that the lady Raith took on a date two nights ago? Y'know, when I was wavin' at him 'n all that sorta stuff because he was bein' a jerk earlier- what's she doin' here?"

Kendeall was about to answer the centaur - even with him being sleepy as he was - but then Makin made an announcement about it being time to move. Shit, already? But I'm still so fucking tired...

Groaning, Kendeall stood up and went to collect his gear from upstairs. Making sure that he was careful with his new Fire tome, he grabbed his axes and his Splash time and got them situated on his person - he wasn't too keen on putting them in a pack, just in case things got... hairy on the road.

And knowing these guys, it probably will. Kendeall stifled a chuckle as he went back down the stairs, surveying the group around him, and smiling the whole time. Even when his eyes landed on Vriska, even with her being a stuck-up nerd.

And I wouldn't have it any other way with these guys.

"I mean... I dunno, I guess I have? Don't think I've ever sat down and shared breakfast with one though, so, y'know--just never got the chance to ask," he chuckled. But before he could get too engrossed in the conversation, Makin found it opportune to get the group moving. Ah well that's a shame. Guess we were going to head out sooner or later though... He slid off his chair, and made his way upstairs to grab his belongings. On his way back down though, he brushed past Kendeall who seemed particularly jubilant. Raith gave a passing thought as to what might have happened to get the man grinning so, but in the end figured it wasn't too important and called out to the him. "Hey, come on, I think we're moving out. Don't want to get left behind, do you?" and then he headed out towards the door (but not before dropping his room key off with Sara, of course).

Outside, he found their cart loaded up and ready, and he also found someone else sitting beside Isabelle. His stomach sank a bit, and he hated himself for that. Still, rather than pretending to have not seen her, he went over a took a seat besides her. "Well hey, is that who I think it is?" he said, with some form of feigned merriment. "Looks like you decided to come after all, eh? That's great, you wont regret it. Well actually, I can't guarantee that... You might have picked the wrong mission for your first adventure. Uh, I hear the tundra isn't too welcoming of visitors," he laughed nervously. "Say did you eat already? The inkeep prepared some extra food and we were just having breakfast... if you want me to grab you something for the road... or something... "

Vesta shrugged dismissively, "somethin' about how most of my family wanted to turn me into an entree when they first found me. It's not a big deal to be honest."

Upon hearing the boss attempt to speak over everyone, she downed the rest of her disgusting hate-juice as quickly as she could, fighting the urge to spew it back up. Such concoctions were not meant to be chugged, obviously. "Well, Mr.Arrows, it looks like Team Awesome is off on a whirlwind adventure!"

She double checked her travel satchel (and it was indeed a satchel and not a purse, thank you very much) and pulled out a slightly moldy hunk of bread. Breakfast on the go she thought as she unceremoniously shoved it into her mouth. It wasn't half bad as a pallet cleanser, provided it stay down...

Heather laughed when Angus commented on her age at first. "Haha, yes... our looks defy our years of experience. Charmed to hear you think I look young, however. You've undertook some serious training yourself, it seems, but always remember there's more to learn." A knowing smirk crossed her face when he asked for her reasoning. "Well, I've a taste for adventure, you could say. And when I heard this was a job from the council, my interest was piqued, especially heading to a place like this. I'm looking forward to it, actually." Her timing for her hopes seemed good, as their boss announced plans to leave. "Well, it seems that the time for our departure approaches swiftly. Would you care to discuss things more on the way? I wish to hear more about your technique, so we can best be coordinated."

Ah, there it was. If her information was correct, and there was no reason it wouldn't be, this was where she was looking to be. One Kurt's Cabin, a rather unassuming inn located in the upper-rung. The horse-drawn wagon standing by near the front further affirmed her suspicions, and the woman near said wagon fit the description to a T.

"Makin Tiarn?" The newcomer announced, stepping forward towards the naga. Adorned from head to toe in a light blue mail that seemed to shimmer in the light, quite unlike any metal that one would think suitable for armour. Beneath the strange armour was a young half-elf, discernible through her facial features, much rounder than any pure-blooded elf, yet those distinctive ears removed any chance of this one being a pure-blooded human. As if to contrast her odd armour, flowing scarlet locks fell well down her back, despite the loose tie that kept them at bay upon her back. Piercing eyes of the same tone, as if to match her flaming hair, seemed to thoroughly examine all who fell within their gaze at a moment's notice. The final point of note was a frightening lance at her back, partially obscured by the woman's eye-catching hair, and an odd box that seemed craft' of the finest quarry stone, an ornate lock set within it, paired with a key worn about the woman's neck.

"Huh, sounds like light magic is pretty... specific. Bright enough to light up the night, but only harmful to the opposing man. It... does fit what I'd expect." It was almost proverbial, how neat! "Well, no matter what, I'm sure it still has its uses. Maybe I could learn something about it, too." With her tutelage in magic being so intertwined with religion, Maja thought it was far from a stretch. She'd have to put that thought for later, interrupted by Makin's call. "Ah, we're leaving, huh? Well, brave the road we go!" Thankful that she was already done with her quite simple breakfast, Maja picked up her belongings once more. "Well then, now to put these on the wagon." Putting her plate and cup down, Maja quickly left the other two behind.

"I don't think I could of my own will, Sonia. But... I did receive this." Kadin clarified, retrieving a potion he'd carried with him for a long, long while. "I received this magical potion from a fortune teller, all the way back in Ward. Not very long after I decided to follow this group. She said it could return me to my most ethereal form temporarily." It was amusing to recite it, sounding like something out of lore. "I did manage to carry the potion with me when I was more ethereal, so I wouldn't question its capabilities now. Maybe it will come in handy again." As intriguing as it was, they did have more pressing things to do, courtesy of Makin Tiarn. Well, it seems like it's time for us to go. Thanks for the chat. I can confirm, however --it certainly is nostalgic to have a body again, even if it might sound crazy." Kadin slowly ate the final pieces of his pancake. Thankfully, the ghost still lacked enough material goods to need reorganizing.

--------------------------------

Quickly getting outside, Maja was greeted with more members than she'd expect outside. Her natural reaction having her go see Makin, whom seemed surrounded by plenty people already. "Hi boss! Hi, Raith, Isabelle!" She waved, probably interrupting some conversation. "I can leave my things at the wagon now, right?" She directed her face to Isabelle. It'd be a long way through cold, cold weather, thank Him for wagons! To her surprise, she saw a new face besides Isabelle. Well, another one. How many new people did they hire here? "Oh, hi! You're coming with us, too?" She waved to the merchant.

Only a moment after, she noticed the presence of another person, whom just seemed to called out Makin's name. Oooh, who's that? Is she a noble? Maja did not spoke then, deciding to see how Makin would reply.

Edited by Xinnidy

Meredith hastily downed the rest of her impromptu breakfast. "The arena was. . .rough," she said softly, doing her best to banish that embarrassment from her mind. Failing that, her cheeks flushed again. "I like fighting with a lance in hand, not with my bare fists. It sounds like you didn't experience that horror. . ."

As he stood up to head out of the inn, Trist chuckled and made a sort of 'look at me' gesture. "I'm not exactly built for punching things. Tend more towards the 'hit and run' type of tactics. That's why I've got my horse. Sadly though, it looks like it's time to head out. Perhaps we can talk more on the road?"

"S-sure," Meredith muttered, somewhat hesitant to look up. He's a person, he's a customer at dad's shop, he deserves respect, he's. . .really cute. "Still, you can be fast, and whittle your opponent down. But a full fist fight is something I don't want to do again, if I can help it." She'd gotten lucky with her punches, and she didn't want to think of what would happen if she fought someone who knew what they were doing.

"Well, maybe next time you can fight in the normal arena. I'd like to see what you can do with that lance of yours. Though I suspect we'll both get to see how the other fights during this trip." He glanced around and grinned and held out a hand. "Come on now. We don't want to get left behind. Everyone else has already headed outside it looks like." She's cute. Looks like she's at least part elf with those ears. It'll be fun to get to know her, that's for sure.

Meredith giggled like the nervous girl she felt like, and took Trist's hand "Ah, right, we're both mercenaries now. I'll get to see how you fight, too! Seems like you've got a horse. Couldn't really bring myself to fight on horseback, though."

Holding on to Meredith's hand for a few more seconds, he gave it a slight squeeze and let go once she was fully on her feet. "I love riding. It's amazing how quickly your horse becomes almost an extension of your body. Amira and I have been together for ages now, and sometimes I think she knows where I'm having her go before I do. Maybe someday I can give you a ride, show you what it's like."

Oh my GOSH, he squeezed my hand! I don't believe this!! Meredith tried to keep her smitten thoughts to herself, but she couldn't her nervous giggle to herself. "Ah, what would that instructor of mine say? My parents sent me off with a half-blind centaur to learn the ways of the lance. He yelled at anyone who tried to ride him - or any other centaur. Sometimes, he'd yell at others for overburdening their horses. I don't want to do that to your horse. . ."

Did I just say that?

Trist chuckled. "Well, while I'm sure that centaur knew what he was talking about with centaurs, I know what I'm talking about with my horse. She's had to cart metal and me around before, I'm sure you'd be fine." Heading outside, he spotted a new figure talking to the boss, but just gave a slight shrug. Perhaps it was a mercenary he hadn't met before. Oh well. Walking over to Amira, he untied her from the post, and then walked her back to Meredith. "Meredith, this is Amira. She's quite gentle and friendly, so you don't need to worry about anything."

Edited by scorri

Green

Makin was hopeful that they'd share more breakfasts together, and so she started putting her stuff onto the wagon, giving Maja a small wave as she said hi. She had a bag or two that held her coat, and some of the group's extra equipment. Hopefully, Isabelle would take care of that, now. She was about to find a nice spot for her and Raith to sit down, but... He already had somewhere to sit. And someone to talk to. Makin almost felt jealous. Or rather, she did, but it wasn't enough of a feeling to get bent out of shape over. He just wants to talk to her. See how she's doing... That's all it is. He seemed really happy though... Makin didn't want to just watch, so she started to head over--

"Makin Tiarn?"

Oh, well, that wasn't what she was expecting. A rather regal looking woman, sporting an intricate suit of armor, made of... Some sort of metal, had stopped her. "Yes? That's me... Who might you be?" Whoever she was, she seemed like she belonged to the guard. Makin had met, and known, some rather well off mercenaries, but no one wore something like that. Or carried important looking boxes with them. What was this about?

Meanwhile, unbeknownst of the eyes staring at her, Alicia did her best to feign her own smile. "Yeah, it's me. Hey." She brushed some more of her hair over her face. If no one else saw it, it'd be a lot less to deal with. "I did. And I know the tundra isn't the best place, but neither is the city. I think I really need a break from these walls, and I think this is for the best. Besides, I brought most all of my wares with me, so I'll at least be able to turn a pretty penny if you lot need anything. And I can probably do some minor repairs, if things start breaking." She had her hammer, a smaller anvil, and some spare metal with her, so she could fix things up, at least somewhat. She'd just have to borrow one of the mages; not that she knew if they had any, she was just being rather hopeful that someone could throw fire about, heading into a frozen wasteland.

"Eat? Oh, yeah, I had something before I left... No need to worry." Alicia finally glanced past Raith, to the swaying tail of Makin, as she spoke to whoever she was speaking to. "Should... I make some room?" Maybe that was an awkward question. At least there was someone to interrupt that thought. "Oh, hello. I think I remember you... Did you come to my shop, yesterday?"

Tag-alongs

"Yeah, I know that, and I'm sure she's thought about it. I just figure... Y'know, she'd try to find a job with a less murderous environment. Fighting's a risk of the job, of course, but it's not something you can plan for and avoid. This is. So it just feels weird to me." Ingverd ended up shrugging. Valha had a point, but only a bit of one. Maybe it was just the pre-adventure jitters that were getting to him. He'd have to shrug them off before they could get anywhere. But, well...

"She is," he answered, a bit confused. Had he missed something? Wasn't Raith, y'know... Did Makin hire her, anyway? She must really trust him... Ingverd was getting more and more confused by it by the second, ushering Valha to come along to the back of the wagon. "Let's just not say anything. Take our seat, and wait for get moving along. If she's here, then Makin had to have hired her, or she'd be asking questions right now, instead of talking-- wait, who is she talking to?" Ingverd paused again, and stared for a moment, getting further confused. "I don't feel like much of a second in command, sometimes." Shaking his head, he hopped onto the back of the wagon, and took a seat, letting his legs dangle off the edge.

Red

"Alright then." Vriska walked outside and, sort of did her best to ignore what was going on with anyone. Her face was far too red for that. She immediately went for the back of the wagon, but that dang elf was already there. So she just... Stood next to it, and waited for Lanos to come out. She had a question for him, so once he did, "hey, uh... I didn't do anything weird when I was asleep, did I?"

"Emilia. Lt. Emilia Astarita of the Main Guard." The now identified woman replied, before taking the stone chest out proper, and offering it to Makin.

"Economics Advisor Domitia has tasked me with giving this to you, she wishes for you to bring it with you to Karstell, and to store any valuable magical objects or other such findings within so they may be kept safe. She seemed quite certain that you would do well." Emilia soon continued, her vision moving from Makin to scanning across the others about. In fact, one particular young woman, wearing an... odd assortment of colours. By Him, she was a walking rainbow! Emilia was certain she had seen this young woman before, but she couldn't place her mind on it, and it left the guard's gaze on her far longer than intended.

"Well, I guess I can't claim to know everythin' the boss thinks," Valha concluded, choosing to shrug back at him when he did so to her. His dismissal of wanting to say anything, however, brought a frown to her face, especially when he mentioned not hearing about it. "Hey, that's not right... the boss isn't suppose to leave you out of the loop like that. It's not like her. You don't know what the boss is thinkin' about the tundra, then someone else comin' along with us just because Raith suggested it or somethin', 'n now mystery ladies you don't know either? No, somethin' has to be up, Ingverd. You can't let her leave you not knowin' stuff, 'n she used to be clear about this stuff all the time even when I was really new. If you don't talk to her, I'm gonna, alright?" She clenched her claws together, her brow creasing. "We're all a team, whether we get along or not, right? Teams are supposed to stick together..."

"Hmm? Oh, yesterday? I dunno." Maja made a confused face, "I've been to a few shops these two days, but yesterday, I was dressing black and white most of the day. Does that ring a bell?" Giving up, Maja shrugged, putting her supplies in the wagon. "Well, it's nice to meet you again!" She nodded and turned back as a shiver made her feel watched, and she was! From the corner of her eye, she noticed the guard speaking to Makin was eyeing her, which was fine, she seemed to be analyzing people when she showed up... and then the guard's gaze didn't leave her, which was somewhat embarrassing. "Uh.... c-can I help you?" Flustered, Maja turned to the guard.

"Ah, yeah, isn't that the truth... " he said, his facade wilting as soon as the words left Alicia's lips. "No it's fine, I think. I'm probably not going to be needing the seat anyway because... " he trailed off. Maja had decided to interject with a rather jubilant greeting, one that he replied to with a brief smile, and a nod. Alicia seemed to recognize Maja, which was nice. At least she wasn't completely foreign to the rest of the mercenaries. With the conversation drifting away from him, he couldn't help but fixate his attention on other things. The most noteworthy of which, being the woman speaking to Makin.

Edited by Vestige