Objectives

Objectives  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see more varied mission objectives?

• Yeah! Bring it on!
    • Nay. I prefer a more straightforward battle.
    • Does it look like I care?
  2. 2. If so, what kind of objectives would you like?

• Escape, Defend, and the likes.
    • Something more simple, like Seize Throne
    • All of the above
    • None of the above
    • Other

Many players were disappointed by Awakening's lack of varied objectives, and are tired of "Route the Enemy" and "Defeat Commander". Even Tiki's Paralouge was a Route the Enemy level! What are your thoughts on this? Are you for or against more objectives?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like FE7 or 10, pleaseI don't want any more FE13s. The less is done like that game, the better

Yeah, the GBA titles were amazing all around. I've never played FE9 or FE10, what kind of stuff do they have?

I think Awakening was good, especially with the infinite A supports to help flesh out the characters. As a bit of a transition game, we can't really expect it to be too grand, though.

Yeah, the GBA titles were amazing all around. I've never played FE9 or FE10, what kind of stuff do they have?

I think Awakening was good, especially with the infinite A supports to help flesh out the characters. As a bit of a transition game, we can't really expect it to be too grand, though.

FE10 had a lot of really cool objectives: on top of th usual, there was hold the line, escape, arrive, etc. THere were also side missions in both games you could do and be rewarded for, like defeating Levail in IVE3.

FE10 had a lot of really cool objectives: on top of th usual, there was hold the line, escape, arrive, etc. THere were also side missions in both games you could do and be rewarded for, like defeating Levail in IVE3.

That sounds awesome! I really need to play those games!

RD probably had the best variety. Considering that If is using Awakening as a base, prepare for more rout maps. :Kappa:

FE7 used FE6 as base, but had way more objectives than seize and defeat boss.

Granted FE6 had defend trial maps.

I would prefer boss kill or throne seize to route pretty much any time. Escapes can be fun. Like Glaceon says, "sidequests" are fun - I particularly enjoyed burning supplies in that part 3 chapter with the dark mage boss, and attempting to avoid killing enemy soldiers for more BEXP in Geoffrey's Charge. Timed missions like Defense of Talrega are OK by me too.

The one odd objective I can remember not enjoying too much is getting through the prison in FE9 without being noticed by guards.

Oh, and I liked defend position maps where you don't start in the area you're defending. Like the mission where Geoffrey first appears in FE9. Of course, it's not dramatically different from a limited turncount map, but you do get the chance to kill guys and reduce the pressure on Geoffrey as opposed to just having a flat turncount you have to satisfy. The mission where Gatrie reappears and Astrid shows up in FE9 also have something like this. I think there's also an FE5 mission like this.

EDIT-I think the Geoffrey chapter may have been an arrive chapter, but I think you also lose if Geoffrey dies?

Edited by Severlan

Varied objectives are great for helping keep the game feeling varied. When there are a few route missions in a row in any game (Awakening, RD Part 4, etc) the game begins to drag down a bit. I'd be more than pleased if there was more objectives than just route the boss.

I would prefer boss kill or throne seize to route pretty much any time. Escapes can be fun. Like Glaceon says, "sidequests" are fun - I particularly enjoyed burning supplies in that part 3 chapter with the dark mage boss, and attempting to avoid killing enemy soldiers for more BEXP in Geoffrey's Charge. Timed missions like Defense of Talrega are OK by me too.

The one odd objective I can remember not enjoying too much is getting through the prison in FE9 without being noticed by guards.

Oh, and I liked defend position maps where you don't start in the area you're defending. Like the mission where Geoffrey first appears in FE9. Of course, it's not dramatically different from a limited turncount map, but you do get the chance to kill guys and reduce the pressure on Geoffrey as opposed to just having a flat turncount you have to satisfy. The mission where Gatrie reappears and Astrid shows up in FE9 also have something like this. I think there's also an FE5 mission like this.

EDIT-I think the Geoffrey chapter may have been an arrive chapter, but I think you also lose if Geoffrey dies?

It was arrive. And no if Geoffrey dies the game still continues.

FE games with varied objectives are always the most enjoyable for me.But do note that map objectives are only part of the equation. A map also needs proper terrain to support the map type in question. Awakening lacked both...

You could beat all of Awakenings levels with like, one or two characters in every chapter, so long as they were OP. Objectives like defend prevent this as you often have to form a line of troops and are bombarded by LOTS of enemies. It makes the gameplay much more diverse.

Also, it is ROUT the enemy, not route them. Two completely different things.

Another problem with Awakening objectives was the lack of secondary objectives. For example, chapter 16 of FE6 is just a seize chapter, but you had to focus on keeping Douglas alive to recruit him and unlock the gaiden. Chapter 19 of FE9 is a defeat the boss mission, but you also had to focus on neutralizing Naesala. Awakening chapters had simple objectives and lacked these secondary objectives (outside of Severa's mission). I hope FE14 not only has varied map objectives, but secondary objectives as well.

Another problem with Awakening objectives was the lack of secondary objectives. For example, chapter 16 of FE6 is just a seize chapter, but you had to focus on keeping Douglas alive to recruit him and unlock the gaiden. Chapter 19 of FE9 is a defeat the boss mission, but you also had to focus on neutralizing Naesala. Awakening chapters had simple objectives and lacked these secondary objectives (outside of Severa's mission). I hope FE14 not only has varied map objectives, but secondary objectives as well.

What, are you forgetting Donnel's mission, and never mind three of the spotpass paralouges had secondary objectives.

Peaceful village also requires you to protect villagers. Some chapters like chapters 6 and 21, are escape and defend without outright telling you that they are escape and defend. Awakening wasn't as diverse as some of its predecessors, but saying it lacked any and all diverseity is a bit out there.

What, are you forgetting Donnel's mission, and never mind three of the spotpass paralouges had secondary objectives.

Peaceful village also requires you to protect villagers. Some chapters like chapters 6 and 21, are escape and defend without outright telling you that they are escape and defend. Awakening wasn't as diverse as some of its predecessors, but saying it lacked any and all diverseity is a bit out there.

Oh yeah, I did forget about Donnel's mission.

Protecting NPCs in the paralogues is trivialized by the ever-accessible rescue staff. Yeah, chapter 6 is a defense mission in a rout mission's clothing (or is it defeat the boss? I don't remember), but that's not really a secondary objective. I didn't say that no chapters included secondary objectives, just that they are lacking. Furthermore, outside of paralogue 2/3 there really aren't many villages to save from bandits either. Time pressure makes chapters more interesting.

Yes, all the mission objectives from Tellius must return.
Only seize or rout missions bore me after while.

This is one of the main issues I have with the latest FE games.

I really miss a stealth mission like chapter 10 in FE9.
Although if you are detected by an enemy => Game Over

Also two objectives could be combined like defeat boss + escape or defend + defeat boss.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

RD probably had the best variety. Considering that If is using Awakening as a base, prepare for more rout maps. :Kappa:

To be fair, RD basically started all that with its Part 4. Also, it could be worse, like watching a 10-minute-long unskippable EP followed by a 10-minute-long AP/OP.

Oh yeah, I did forget about Donnel's mission.

Protecting NPCs in the paralogues is trivialized by the ever-accessible rescue staff. Yeah, chapter 6 is a defense mission in a rout mission's clothing (or is it defeat the boss? I don't remember), but that's not really a secondary objective. I didn't say that no chapters included secondary objectives, just that they are lacking. Furthermore, outside of paralogue 2/3 there really aren't many villages to save from bandits either. Time pressure makes chapters more interesting.

C18 has not getting cooked alive, in addition to the chests expiring. Other chapters have Thieves running off with treasures (that they either start with or have to actually steal from chests).

I really miss a stealth mission like chapter 10 in FE9.

For such a penalty, if they do this, I really hope they put more effort into the scenario. Enemies who get one-rounded still being able to sound the alarm was one of the dumbest things about the previous implementation.

For such a penalty, if they do this, I really hope they put more effort into the scenario. Enemies who get one-rounded still being able to sound the alarm was one of the dumbest things about the previous implementation.

How so? A wayward scream is a good enough indication of an intruder.

That's a bit harsh and unfair. Just have them summon more enemies if you get caught.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

To be fair, RD basically started all that with its Part 4. Also, it could be worse, like watching a 10-minute-long unskippable EP followed by a 10-minute-long AP/OP.

I swear to god you might just have the best avi on the site.

Also yeah RD part 4 felt too much like Awakening, except I couldn't skip things. Watching horses move in 3-3 was also :facepalm:

How so? A wayward scream is a good enough indication of an intruder.

Except the soldiers didn't even have any special dialogue indicating that if they died. They just alerted with a full, long string of dialogue, as though they were the ones initiating. That aside, because of the limitations of the FE engine, it only makes sense for a one-round to count as a stealthy ambush that incapacitates the enemy before they can call for help. Heck, I'd settle for only certain, swifter clases being able to do it, or, if they wanted to program extra commands, something like a subdue command that gives the unit a penalty to its stats in exchange for causing the soldier to not alert. Basically, I'd like some actual tools for dealing with the scenario, because it ruined my suspension of disbelief to think Ike's troops would just tromp in completely unprepared to discreetly eliminate enemy sentries (especially with a veteran soldier like Titania and Soren, the Paranoid, around).

I swear to god you might just have the best avi on the site.

Also yeah RD part 4 felt too much like Awakening, except I couldn't skip things. Watching horses move in 3-3 was also :facepalm:

Hehe, thanks. Wasn't sure if it was going to be too much of a groaner or not.

At least Awakening only really has C23 and C24 as the big, long, mandatory slogs. Many of the other longer maps can be cut short through boss assassination. RD Part 4 has 5 of those maps (potentially 6, if one counts 4-E-1, although that was a little milder on the enemy count), one of which is a gigantic desert and the three team thing requires splitting up all the player's best units, which further slows down the routing (granted, the laguz royals and psuedo-royals help, but their lack of 2 range limits how much their ridiculous stats can contribute). Plus, and I do admit that this one is a mileage may vary one, the new map track that first plays with Micaiah's team is just plain tiring, Like, they knew Part 4 was going to be a slog, so they composed special music just to make it feel like more of a slog.

I also agree that the horses thing was a bit silly. Still not as infuriating as the 3-P AI jamming everything up by having Cats fight Generals, though.