Brave Weapons: how should they be handled

goodperson707

I like an FE12-esque way to handle braves; availability wrt both number of copies and obtaining point is low-ish, while they don't trivialize the maps they exist in, but still are nice in various ways (granted, Brave Lance is the best of them while Brave Sword and Brave Bow give decent offense, and Brave Axe is largely unuseful). I disagree on low Mt, that would only be beneficial for a nerf if FE13's stat emblem would return in if. Just give them decent Mt imo.

Ding ding we have a winner.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be handled like TRS Gatling Bows: In exchange for their offense parameters, they should get so much weight that they leave you wide open if you miss your chance. Otherwise, they will inevitable end up overshadowing everything else in the arsenal.

Ehhh, that's assuming that weight even comes back, which is kinda a big if. That being said, availability and having braves be a one-of-a-kind weapon are better answers imho.

^ a one of a kind might work but if not and they just make them unbuyable till endgame i still dislike that braves are pretty much always better than the legendary weapons with backstories and reputations to match. Maybe have them lower one or more of def,avoid,dodge?

"Make it -10 MT and the heaviest weapon in the game!"

Nerfing the stats does nothing.

Waste, with its 45 Hit, would have been the best weapon in the game if it wasn't for Celica's Gale. Celica's Gale's MT is pathetic. As long as you can still attack 6 times before the enemy has a chance to do anything (Brave effect + Dual Strike), Brave weapons will always have a place.

How do you balance Brave weapons? Disable Dual Strike when it is equipped.

I didn't mean that literally EVERYONE would use those weapons, just that having them purchasable makes a lot of other weapons pointless to use. Gold isn't hard to acquire in game. My point reflects a general design philosophy that availability is a much better balance to weapons than nerfing stats. Brave Weapons had reasonable availability in Awakening but a ton of powerful weapons were easy to purchase.

What? No smart player will choose Nosferatus/Ruin over Flux as their primary damage tome for their dark mage, it wasteful and not gold efficient. Just as that I won't wasted Killer and Silver on enemies that I can easily one-shot. If a player already can afford these luxury then they already had broken the game with the gold DLCs.

Related to Brave Weapons and their broken nature when used for dual strikes, why not modify the Dual Strike system to function similarly to attacking/defending in Super Robot Wars?

For those who don't know the series: when a unit is attacked in SRW, the player has the option to counter attack and hope that their unit's natural evade will allow it to dodge the attack (I.E. the way Fire emblem works,) choose the evade option, (which essentially doubles your chance to dodge,) or to defend, (which brings any shields the unit might have into play and cuts damage by a certain amount.) With Dual Strike, this could be utilized to select whether you want your partner to defend you from your opponent's attack, or jump in and attack with you instead.

You could even choose which of the enemy pair you want your partner to attack, assuming the enemy is also utilizing Pair Up. When bringing Brave Weapons into play, we could re-imagine their dual attack nature as the ability to: Attack twice, attack and defend, or defend multiple times if the enemy double-attacks you. This would require the Dual Strike system to only be able to activate once per combat round under normal circumstances, as someone earlier in the thread stated, which I think could go a long way to balancing the system as a whole. Thoughts?

EDIT: General grammar and formatting because I'm a dingus. Proofreading is important kids.

Edited by TitaniumLegman

Related to Brave Weapons and their broken nature when used for dual strikes, why not modify the Dual Strike system to function similarly to attacking/defending in Super Robot Wars?

For those who don't know the series: when a unit is attack in SRW, the player has the option to counter attack and hope that their unit's natural evade will allow it to dodge the attack, I.E. the way Fire emblem works, choose the evade option, which essentially doubles your chance to doge, or to defend, which brings any shields the unit might have into play and cuts damage by a certain amount. With Dual Strike, this could be utilized to select whether you want your partner to defend you from your opponents attack, or jump in and attack with you instead.

You could even choose which of the enemy pair you want your partner to attack, assuming the enemy is also utilizing Pair Up. When Bringing Brave Weapons into play, we could re-imagine their dual attack nature as the ability to either: Attack twice, attack and defend, or defend multiple times if the enemy double attacks you. This would require the Dual Strike system to only be able to activate once per combat round under normal circumstances, as someone earlier in the thread stated, which I think could go a long way to balancing the system as a whole. Thoughts?

This looks like a very interesting idea IMO. Not only it affects brave weapons, but also partially nerfs the incredibly overpowered Pair Up. I would like to see something like that(also I think that somebody spotted some icons on the touchscreen during battles, maybe you aren't that far from reality!)

^ a one of a kind might work but if not and they just make them unbuyable till endgame i still dislike that braves are pretty much always better than the legendary weapons with backstories and reputations to match. Maybe have them lower one or more of def,avoid,dodge?

Ehhh, either way, I tend to not use them because I generally see them as unneeded, and because I'm a hoarder.

What? No smart player will choose Nosferatus/Ruin over Flux as their primary damage tome for their dark mage, it wasteful and not gold efficient. Just as that I won't wasted Killer and Silver on enemies that I can easily one-shot. If a player already can afford these luxury then they already had broken the game with the gold DLCs.

Considering how easy it is to get Nosferatu in Awakening. Yeah I will consider it the main Dark Magic of Awakening.