Brave Weapons: how should they be handled

goodperson707

So yeah title is self explanatory. How do you think/want brave weapons to be handled in fire emblem if.

Should they stay at A Rank?

Should they be rarer and unbuyable?

Should they be exclusive to single weapon classes?

Discuss.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, rarer, yeah. defnitely, like in older Fire Emblem, In Awakening, you could get them very soon thanks to freaking Anna.

I think that being able to buying them is kind of strange. I think that Sacred Stone did it I right, if I remember correctly, you could only buy them at a secret shop. And you could buy them after the main campain if you had the Secret Card.

Edited by B.Leu

So yeah title is self explanatory. How do you think/want brave weapons to be handled in fire emblem if.

Should they stay at A Rank?

Should they be rarer and unbuyable?

Should they be exclusive to single weapon classes?

Discuss.

Hmm. There are a few things I think they could do to balance them out.

I'd assume they'd stay rank A - not sure why they'd move down, and moving them to an S rank (and only allowing one S rank weapon class like in the gba games) would likely have no major effect on them being (overly?) powerful.

Not being buyable would be a really fast one - although I'm not sure that was much a problem in Awakening - outside of DLC they aren't buyable until the end of the game.

Exclusive to a single weapon class I would hate as it just unfairly preferences certain classes.

The best options in my opinion are to rework the mechanics of how the brave effect is triggered - in terms of dualattack or to lower the default MT of the weapons.

make them heavy and weaker then silver. that would require weight comming back tho

can't buy them and moved down to B rank

Weight has never been done well in the games and is almost always a penalty to mages and females.

The second option would have actually made them more powerful in FE:A by allowing them to be used earlier.

Edited by ckc22

They should be A ranked weapons and be a purchasable item. Something Awakening really lacked was a sense of item conservation. Brave weapons and other weapons with powerful extra effects should be rare to make the player think twice about using them.

Edited by NekoKnight

Make them un-purchasable, and/or make their base might so much weaker than higher tier weapons that you'd likely do more damage from one hit of the Ragnell (just using it as an example) than two hits from a Brave Sword against high level foes.

Edited by Monado Boy

• B rank at least
  • if the weapon weight exists, they should be so balanced that an unit can attack four times with them (they were too heavy in the GBA series)
  • only one brave weapon for each weapon type in the game (= unbuyable)
  • magic brave weapons like Celica's Gale or waste can exist too
  • might and accuracy of physical brave weapons = steel weapons
  • might and accuracy of magical brave weapons = el tomes
Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Maybe they should be unable to get skills or crits or dual strikes While using them.

Or maybe they should be "brave" weapons and lower your defence or avoid or crit avoid in some way.

Should i start a poll?

Edited by goodperson707

They should be A ranked weapons and be not able to purchasable them. Something Awakening really lacked was a sense of item conservation. Brave weapons and other weapons that with powerful extra effects should be rare to make the player think twice about using them all the time.

I'm all for item conservation as being part of the main game. But I also enjoy being able to take my tricked-out grinded party into Apotheosis. I don't think the brave weapons were that available in the main game and I don't think making them unpurchasable would have made a huge difference. They weren't available for non-merchant (semi random/not easy to repeat buy) until the final chapter anyways.

I'd rather see the MT lowered to D class instead of C class like they are now. There are a lot of benefits from the dualstrike system that would still make them quite powerful with their increased opportunity to trigger dualstrikes even at a lower MT.

I think in general a lot of the topics here/among Fire Emblem fans focus on nerfing things too much. Obviously balance is important, but its still ok to have some fun powerful weapons. Things like making them unable to crit/proc skills/etc. is too far.

Edited by ckc22

I'd rather see the MT lowered to D class instead of C class like they are now. There are a lot of benefits from the dualstrike system that would still make them quite powerful with their increased opportunity to trigger dualstrikes even at a lower MT.

I think in general a lot of the topics here/among Fire Emblem fans focus on nerfing things too much. Obviously balance is important, but its still ok to have some fun powerful weapons. Things like making them unable to crit/proc skills/etc. is too far.

Availability is the only "nerf" weapons need. Especially with weight removed, if things like Nosferatu and Brave weapons are freely purchasable, why bother using anything else? I wouldn't mind a removal of weapon durability for bonus levels like Apotheosis but for the main game, powerful weapons should be limited. The basic Iron/Steel/Silver is good enough for grinding purposes.

Awakening for the most part handled Brave weapons fine- higher weapon rank than Silvers, only purchasable normally at the end of the game. They interacted pretty strongly with Dual Strike but for an A rank weapon I think that's fine. Being available in Anna shops very early is probably the biggest place where it went wrong on them.

I think it's silly to try and match them to Silver weapons. Brave weapons have always been superior in most ways, and adjusting them to a higher rank and not making them purchasable for a long time does a fine job of addressing this. It's like complaining that Steel weapons are worse than Silver ones- of course they are.

I actually liked them in awakening since lets be honest the brave weapons were ALWAYS better than their silver counterparts.

FE4 Continue was a skill so brave weapons made slower units or people without that skill instantly better.

FE5 Silver weapons were stupidly rare and weren't really worth it so brave weapons were superior.

FE6 With skill nerfed to above and beyond you need to get all the attacks you can get

FE7 More hits = more damage

FE8 See FE7

FE9 With weapon ranks hard to achieve Brave weapons were better because they were more accessible to units who couldn't get to A-rank

FE10 It's really irrelevant since 3rd tier was broken but the brave bow made Leo not total garbage

FE11 Is really the only time were silver weapons were better but that's because brave weapons didn't originally exist in FE1 so there was no place to add them outside of the online shop

FE12 See FE11 but replace FE1 with FE3

FE13 See FE7

Basically all that should really happen to them is become a lot rarer and only possibly buy-able at end game.

Endgame purchase for Braves like in Awakening is reasonable.

Availability is the only "nerf" weapons need. Especially with weight removed, if things like Nosferatu and Brave weapons are freely purchasable, why bother using anything else? I wouldn't mind a removal of weapon durability for bonus levels like Apotheosis but for the main game, powerful weapons should be limited. The basic Iron/Steel/Silver is good enough for grinding purposes.

You are assuming everyone had purchase the DLCs to have enough golds to change class to use dark magic and to buy Brave weapons.

Edited by Awakener_

I agree that nosferatu is 100% way too easily available. The brave weapons are not easily available though. I don't see how only having them be available in the last chapter is not limiting them for the main game?

Well, rarer, yeah. defnitely, like in older Fire Emblem, In Awakening, you could get them very soon thanks to freaking Anna.

What. Paralogues aside, the earliest you could hope to get them from a merchant was after chapter 18. And honestly, I don't really think a chance of getting them from a random merchant is that good an argument.

Edited by Levant Caprice

To be fair if there weren't Spotpass or Anna shops, the earliest you'd be getting braves is after chapter 25, which is literally the chapter before endgame. I think that in future games where Spotpass, especially, were less abusable (after all Anna shops are really chancey and I literally did not fucking get one Second Seal on a very SS-intensive type run until AFTER chapter 15 i'm still bitter so I mean it's not exactly reliable), having it purchasable literally at endgame isn't too bad.

Edited by Thor Odinson

^^ could you not get them from merchant or double skirmishes though? Spotpass probably wont be coming back though but im surprised it wasn't mentioned as you can get a brave weapon as soon as you can use it.

Edited by goodperson707

If there isn't any durability in the game there should probably only be 1 of each available, considering the usefulness of 2 consecutive attacks any might nerf could be made|(allowing them to be available earlier in the game) while still keeping them at A-rank.

Edited by arvilino

^^ could you not get them from merchant or double skirmishes though? Spotpass probably wont be coming back though but im surprised it wasn't mentioned as you can get a brave weapon as soon as you can use it.

That's also rather chancey, as the odds of a Risen spawning where another Risen or a merchant already was wouldn't be that high.

Edited by Levant Caprice

^ could you not get them from merchant or double skirmishes though? Spotpass probably wont be coming back though but im surprised it wasn't mentioned as you can get a brave weapon as soon as you can use it.

Merchant = Anna shops = extremely unreliable. I mentioned it. Dunno about double skirmishes because I count that as grinding so I don't do it and if you're gonna grind FE becomes easy regardless anyway so why not let them have brave axes too

Spotpass was really the only thing that broke it because lbr getting them as early as chapter 4/Para1 is pretty broke although you're unlikely to have anyone except maaaaaybe Fred with an A rank in anything

But on the other hand Spotpass weaponry does make L+ a hella more smoother. Free Nidhogg to go with my Armthrift Bow Knight MU? Hell yeah I'll take that

Edited by Thor Odinson

What is this nonsense about Brave Weapons onl being buyable at the end of the game? They're buyable immediately after you get access to the Bonus Teams. Nergal sells all 4 types of Brave Weapons. From chatper 5, you can get every brave weapon easily.

What is this nonsense about Brave Weapons onl being buyable at the end of the game? They're buyable immediately after you get access to the Bonus Teams. Nergal sells all 4 types of Brave Weapons. From chatper 5, you can get every brave weapon easily.

What can I do with these Brave weapons at chapter 5 tho? Not to mention you just bankrupted your party.

Edited by Awakener_