Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, the plan is to just keep recording and uploading videos regardless of the situation, and just keep them unlisted until about... a week or so.

It sucks that the videos will get less views and stuff, but I'm not letting that prevent me from making content.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

The farther the fire spreads from Mario, the less hot it will be. Put this in the context of current game releases: Mario Maker, an actual official game that lets you actually make your own Mario levels without illegally downloading a rom (personally dumped roms are only for backup purposes i.e. can't be played or modded, so don't give me that empty justification), will be released soon if it hasn't been released already. I'm not surprised at all that modding of SMW and other games is perceived as a threat to sales given that modding is far more robust than any official game ever could be given its nature. Nintendo wants people to buy Wii U and Mario Maker, not download SMW and Lunar Magic.

So until they make Fire Emblem Maker, my cautious guess is that we're gonna be peaches for now. Dear Nintendo suits who are spying on us: pls don't mæk fir embelm maker, it iz da wurst idée in za warudo keep mæking moar marioz insted

I recommend that people avoid uploading stuff that is identical to the source FE games, which mostly means unaltered title screens, cutscenes, and main menus. I recall raocow getting copyright-dinged for having a video of a Mario World mod with an unedited Bowser boss fight, which YouTube's content bots picked up on.

I mean, come on Nintendo, how old are most of the base games used for ROM hacking nowadays? Are you honestly going to lose money when you don't even make these things anymore, and that most of us own/owned legitimate FE7/FE8 cartridges and GBAs?

This was a good argument in the pre-Wii days, but it means nothing now that the Virtual Console exists and Nintendo once again sells their most popular old games (which are more likely to be modded) as new.

Edited by Alusq

Don't TAS speedruns still require an emulator to do, tho.

If so, it's basically the same as showcasing a romhack, and they simply feel that letting it be known that this option exists will cost sales.

The only speedruns I've ever attempted weren't tool assisted and were on the original hardware, so I don't know if a TAS one needs an emulator

This was a good argument in the pre-Wii days, but it means nothing now that the Virtual Console exists and Nintendo once again sells their most popular old games (which are more likely to be modded) as new.

Okay, then I withdraw that point. I don't get why they've rereleased them on Wii/Wii-U (which I don't have, so I didn't know) but not on 3DS though (not counting that limited run ambassador thing which I missed by a couple of years, and I have never seen GBA games, FE or otherwise, show up in the European 3DS Nintendo store. I've looked repeatedly.) I don't even want to know how pixelly GBA FE would look on a widescreen telly. I mean, seen how an original PSX game looks when played through a PS3 on a modern telly? It ain't a pretty sight folks!

Luckily, I still have a firsthand physical GBA and firsthand DS-lite (admittedly with rather worn out buttons), and firsthand cartridges of both FE7 and FE8. I don't need an emulator or virtual console. Heck, my Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Pocket are still kicking around, still serviceable! Emulators; only used for hacks and translations.

I can't actually see the article on my internet but are you sure that isn't from like 2013? I could swear I saw that exact article in 2013. And then nintendo had all that backlash and stopped with their crap.

...And so history repeats itself, and Nintendo quietly pitches the topic back into the cooler for another couple of years.

Whoa, easy there, Klok. If we want Nintendo to get off our bums, we should probably make our own game that plays like FE.

Hell, if I could make that, I'd totally let people make stuff on it and make videos.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Mm... I think FEXNA and FEXP would be awesome for that, but I also kinda like makin' stuff myself. I could build the engine under my own vision of a strategy game. Of course, making graphics and sounds would be a nightmare since I don't have the patience to make good art, and I don't really know any good way to make the sounds I want.

But the thought of making a Fire Emblem with tons of cool mechanics - and spiking up the difficulty to compensate - sounds like lots of fun for me.

... Man, maybe I should try and do it anyway. Get some artists or whatever and try it out.

If you wanted to use FEXNA commercially, you'd have to agree to give some sort of royalty to Yeti and obviously make all your own art assets. The engine is technically barebones with 'placeholder' sprites. It's up to the user to replace all those sprites and no liability falls on Yeti for how you use it.

I have an agreement with Yeti to allow me to make commercial games without that royalty thing but pft anyone with a working brainstem knows I do this as a hobby and I would never make a commercial game. Not because I can't or because it doesn't appeal to me, but just as a matter of principle I don't care about making money off my creative hobbies. If I treated my hobbies as a source of income, it goes from 'fun way to pass the time' to 'oh god I need to make money using this or I starve' and thus the fun/magic is lost.

As is Tale of Purt. Poor Avraxas, being forgotten. I guess I haven't seen them anywhere (maybe?) though soooo who knows what that game has in store.

Ah, I've just been here... you know. Lurking.

But yeah, this is my first big submission and all. I wouldn't hype it up like the submissions that have gone through already, but it does have a few neat surprises. ;P

its responses like that from game companies that makes me wonder if they even realize why people even bother buying the actual original versions of their games. Don't they even realize that most people would rather just buy shit because its far easier than learning how to pirate shit off the internet? That they made it easier for people to interact with their games with simple buttons instead of dealing with a keyboard?

I am tired of idiots ruining the the things I love.

I disagree. Not because I think it's easier to pirate--I think it tends to be pretty inconvenient and unreliable, but probably half the people I know assure me it's far easier.

Where I'd say we should logically be safe is in that the way we here in this thread use our pirated copies of games. No sane person should rather play a Ragefest Fire Emblem than an official one, be it Virtual Console Blazing Sword or otherwise. But if a pirate were to consider pirating Blazing Sword just for Blazing Sword, they wouldn't be deciding between "playing the game for free" and "playing the game for money"; they'd choose between "playing the game for free" and "not playing the game".

But I'm not sure how much we can say we're advertising the core series, because of that. Ragefest is by and for series veterans, and in reality, that's the case with most hacking. The slice of the audience pie, and even of that slice, the slice of effort/interest, is completely separate.

Of course, we can't completely rely on the business department being totally logical, but sitting here blaming Nintendo isn't going to fix much of anything. We should probably just accept that the videos will be on the down-low, but be glad they'll keep coming. I know I'm looking forward to the next submission, whosever that is!

My main gripe with that "position on emulation gunk" was the directly stated implication that even if you spoke the language, you missed FE1 to 6? Well tough potatoes.

No offense Nintendo, but people will on finding a franchise that they like, look back along it. Very few are going to be satisfied sticking to just what is still being sold directly by them. Not to mention those popular franchises that have quietly sauntered off into oblivion for no apparent reason, i.e. Advance Wars. Are we supposed to just forget about them, Nintendo?

I've said my piece on the topic and will henceforth button up about it (I don't want to divert Marc's thread any further). But know this Nintendo; pretending that older entries in a franchise are insignificant to today's players, even those newcomers just joining in, pretending that only the franchise itself matters, is a recipe for contempt aimed squarely at you.

Edited by Wayward Winds

I made all my videos public again. An alternate version of a certain midnight sun video is set as the latest video because of Youtube's weirdness with videos that started as unlisted being made public.

I did this because I wanted to back up my entire channel with DVDsoft's youtuber downloader and... it doesn't download ALL of them. Only the last 45 videos. This is frustrating.

Anyway yeah, they're up again, but do note that I'm utterly terrified of getting C&D'd. I NEED to find a way to back up all my videos.

... But that will have to wait. I need to sleep. It's almost five 'o clock.

This night, I dreamed about ragefest... Yeah...

It wasn't your typical ragefest submission though. The first part had a gigantic map with like 5 enemies in one corner and two of yours in the other, one of them having 1 mov and the other being a flyer with normal 7 or 8 mov. The objective was to "Ride" So Markyjoe rescued the foot unit with his flyer and moved. The next turn, the foot unit dropped himself and said something his "pas" or something. After that there was a tons of fiery special effects on the map and then it was cut in two part that drifted aprt from each other. That was impressive.

And after that... The game suddenly became a 3D Zelda. In a cave, wa had to dig at some place and then we were on a ladder above a skulltulla and its web so Markyjoe equipped the iron boots and fell on it ^^ Then, he made a master shot with the beetle from Skyward Sword and TADAA we're now in a 3D Mario game !

Makyjoe found some stars (I don't remember much of that part) and then entered a Bowser stage... Except he then was Bowser. He had to slide down a slope and there was Pokémon with explosive following him but he managed to dodge them. However he slided down too much and had thus to fight psyducks and rattatas with halos above their heads (like shedinja's). Finally he climbed a climbing wall entered a tower to fight the boss... And I woke up just there, haha^^

I'm not sure it will interest anyone but hey, I already wrote it.

tl;dr : I had a weird dream where Markyjoe was playing a Ragefest submission with Zelda and Mario gameplay.

Falling on a skulltulla with the iron boots is awesome anyway.