Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

i do wonder what was the "right" way to do it tho

I dunno, but RNG-rigging aside, Marc's way seemed pretty straight-forward to me. In fact, one thing that stands out from this hack (compared to other ragesfest submissions) is how straightforward it is: the only "unexpectfest" moment was the trojan infection.

The Lucky tome is the only element I can't figure out whether it had any use or not. It seemed to be able to deal exact OHKO damage to Moneyman's final form, which is kinda suspicios when you start with max level and so all your stats are known to the romhacker, but nothing told you it wouldn't backfire.

One thing about the plothole: maybe that's why it said not to change the savefile player's name from Madnight, because that name was what the message "(Player's name) accepted the ??? gold to let Moneyman respawn". So it was meant to mean that Madnight being bribed to alloow it, not you (otherwise you'd get gold to buy at those shops each time he respawned).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lucky tome is the only element I can't figure out whether it had any use or not. It seemed to be able to deal exact OHKO damage to Moneyman's final form, which is kinda suspicios when you start with max level and so all your stats are known to the romhacker, but nothing told you it wouldn't backfire.

As the name suggests, its for when you feel lucky, and you feel the hack is luck-based, you have a VERY luck-based way to win.

@HF Makalov Fanboy Kai: The proper method to beat the Money man requires only slight modifications to my strategy, with the exception of maybe Act III of the submission. It's not a difficult thing to guess though.

@Mr. Mister: The devil reversal formula works like this. You have a (31 - Luck)% chance of hurting yourself. MrNight explained to me that making your luck go past 31 messes up the forumula and I think it actually starts increasing your chances or something. So if you look at the video, my luck with the luck tome is 108. I think that makes it a 77% chance of reversal.

And yes. The plothole thing was because the game uses the [Tact] name, which makes it even more hilarious in hindsight because that means it was my own fault for changing the name that the game told me not to change. >_>

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

And yes. The plothole thing was because the game uses the [Tact] name, which makes it even more hilarious in hindsight because that means it was my own fault for changing the name that the game told me not to change. >_>

Here I thought King's Quest had the best interactive story ever, but that right there is [insert MMX Sequelitis quote]

Overall I quite like the submission. Actually, all the submissions so far have been very good by full RF standards, I think. Good job, everyone!

That's what you get for purposely impairing your judgement in a strategy game... especially a Ragefest submission.

Ok about Devil Reversal formula because I am seeing a lot of questions for it. The exact formula (until proven otherwise) is this:

| Luck - 31 | = % chance

note the | | because that makes the value an absolute value which means you can make it any number and it won't screw up in theory. (this confused me because this means the creators of the engine actually foresaw this to some extent)

So to use the luck tome as an example, I boosted the wearer's luck by 101, in the formula this will be

| 101 - 31 | = | 70 | = 70% chance of reversal.

I could have also decreased the wearer's luck by -101 and it will still be a positive number like so:

|-101 - 31 |= | -132 | = 132% which still means 100% activation.

but doing it this way means anybody attacking the bearer will have a insane crit chance and hit so keep that in mind.

So what about the unit's own luck? that is the best part. In moneyfest marc has 7 luck so its

|101+ 7 - 31| = | 108 - 31 | = | 77 | = 77% chance

which means the more luck marc gets, the higher chance the unit can kill himself. It is great for giving a weak low level unit a super powerful weapon they can use but the stronger they get, the more less likely they can use said weapon.

That is how this version of Luck tome works. in the future I plan to put the base % chance of DR in the weapon description.

080293FC mov r0,#0x1F // 31 backfire chance
080293FE sub r0,r0,r1 // 31 backfire - 108 luck = 0xFFFFFFB3 (-77)
08029400 lsl r0,r0,#0x10 // r0 = 0xFFB30000
08029402 lsr r0,r0,#0x10 // r0 = 0x0000FFB3 (65459)

The game then pulls a random number 0-99.
RN 0-99 < 65459 so the Devil Axe will always backfire.
Any luck value > 31 will always cause backfire.

080293FC mov r0,#0x1F // 31 backfire chance

080293FE sub r0,r0,r1 // 31 backfire - 108 luck = 0xFFFFFFB3 (-77)

08029400 lsl r0,r0,#0x10 // r0 = 0xFFB30000

08029402 lsr r0,r0,#0x10 // r0 = 0x0000FFB3 (65459)

The game then pulls a random number 0-99.

RN 0-99 < 65459 so the Devil Axe will always backfire.

Any luck value > 31 will always cause backfire.

well I be damned. I thought it was formula based which was the only reason why I thought to mess with it in the first place.

It's not going to win... Sure. But it was really solid for what it tried to do and only failed slightly on the defense part.

The simple way to split the map in 4 parts was really good and not too immersive breaking at all. It was overall an interresting and solid FE Hack.

Yeah dialogue wise it was meh, but other then that it was good i think.

I liked the submission! Looks like Mr. Night finally made a successful Ragefest submission! Looks like his name has been redeemed!

It's not going to win... Sure. But it was really solid for what it tried to do and only failed slightly on the defense part.

The simple way to split the map in 4 parts was really good and not too immersive breaking at all. It was overall an interresting and solid FE Hack.

Thanks y'all it means a lot. I know mine is not going to win, I just wanted it to be short and sweet while being fun to make. I actually did plan on how to split it by making the walls just enough spaces to be outside the camera view.

I feel weird on how you beat my hack Marc, My dev side feels hollow because you beat it so fast but yet my gamer side is impressed you optimized it down to 10 minutes and even took notes.

I beat it fast cause the submission is short, and cause the strat for beating it is not that difficult.

Oh, for those who are curious, here are the notes I wrote down.

Part 1

- Name thing. When Money man pays "marc" to be revived, he's actually using the name you choose in the personal information screen. That's why MrNight doesn't want you changing the name here. The money man is supposed to be paying HIM.

- This first part is basically the "Use Bro and Wade" segment. You toss them in front, and they enemy phase the enemies, leaving mostly ranged units behind.

- Sentinel is placed in the tree so she faces few encounters on enemy phase. It also allows her to kill the archer.

- Marc and Fir wannabe are placed in the bottom left to stay the fuck outta everyone's way and to despawn the troubadour, which makes it so we don't waste a unit's turn killing it later on.

- While we can block the troubadour from spawning, the rest of the reinforcements can't be blocks. Fire Emblem's blocking rules are weird in that if the enemy spawns and immediately moves into a new position, you cannot block them.

- All you want to do is kills the two fighters. The mage and the shaman can't do anything to my units because of their high res.

- The rest of this turn is just doing the obvious, as is the rest of the remaining turns of this map segment. I spend the rest of it just healing dudes.

- Explain the Luck Tome formula.

Part 2

- The basic plan here is to just get the chest second from the left, and kill the money man. We need to lower the enemies in our path so we don't get our shit wrecked on enemy phase. Inside the desired chest is an Eclipse bow, which cuts the target's current HP in half, regardless of their defensive parameters. This is one of the two weapons we need to kill the money man in the final part.

- Killing the paladin up top is crucial. If you don't block him out and kill him, he'll attack Marc or someone else, and he usually kills them in combination with the other enemiy units.

- Against the druid, I don't think Sentinel dodging the nosferatu is needed. She has high res, so I don't think the druid heals enough HP to survive her second shot.

- Speaking of which, the nosferatu tome is useless. No one can use them. Though, MrNight mentioned to me a new game plus that apparently gives you someone who can use it. For now though, it's just trash.

- Trojan's positioned pretty ideally. Once you recruit him, he's able to stand alongside Bro to create a wall that will last us until the end of Part 2. Shame the bastard betrays us.

- Wade is the best option for killing Bishop Money Man. He has high resistence, doubles the dude, and has decent enough accuracy.

- The White Gem is useless. We don't need it ever.

- Pretty much most of the enemy drops in this level are useless. MrNight told me it's to force the player to do inventory management, but the game kinda hands droppables out like candy, and once you know most of them are useless, it kinda just wastes time.

Part 3

- Even though this is a defense mission, you want to rush out and fetch the chest in the top left. This has the other weapon crucial for beating the money man.

- Our first goal is to immediately get rid of the thief. This allows us to place Trojan in a way that blocks the enemies. Since he betrays us, it doesn't matter if he dies or not, so long as he slows the enemies down enough to set up the rest of our positioning.

- From here, it's all about tearing through the enemies while setting up ideal defensive positioning.

- Like most defense missions, you can easily trivialize it. My method is to bait out the sniper, then stand in front of it with a unit. Because of the way enemy movement priority works, melee units move first, and ranged units move last. The result is that someone's gonna move into the spot behind the sniper, and then neither will have a space to attack our units from, blocking off the rest of the enemies and making them completely unable to do anything to us.

- The physic staff is invaluable, since Marc has to spend most of this chapter standing on the stairway at the top.

- I placed Trojan in the range of all these enemy units to slow them down. Though, I think the swordmaster would have moved behind the sniper anyway and rendered everyone else useless, so it probably doesn't matter.

- Fir wannabe opens the door and Wade stands to the right of the chest. This spot is VERY important. If we stood one space left of Fir, the hero or one of the archers would block the chest (Hero has light brand).

- The assassin at the bottom right is useless.

- Fir has to grab the chest, and immediately be rescue chained out of the range of all these enemies, since she's most likely to die. She's placed in front of the sniper, but she'll be fine since Marc will heal her.

- From here, all I really need to do is keep my units healed up, and let the stronger ones block off the enemies. That's it.

Part 4

- Just use the eclipse bow and the Moneyslayer and you'll kill all three phases of money man.

- It's worth noting that even though you can despawn the money man, he can still hire Hector to kill Marc. The only way to prevent this is by explicitly killing him.

- MrNight apparently only worked a week on this submission.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 3 weeks later...

Listen, I wanna apologize for being so slow again. Things... haven't been well IRL. I've been struggling financially and mentally.

I dunno if people are okay with me revealing the details, but I feel like I should at least say SOMETHING so people don't think I've just disappeared or something.

Sorry again...

Listen, I wanna apologize for being so slow again. Things... haven't been well IRL. I've been struggling financially and mentally.

I dunno if people are okay with me revealing the details, but I feel like I should at least say SOMETHING so people don't think I've just disappeared or something.

Sorry again...

Some of us may be a cynical bunch (me often included), but...

Don't worry about it. It's not been months since your last activity, so it's hardly got to the point where deliberate avoidance is the only plausible possibility outside of death/local internet implosion at your address. Short term absences will pretty much always be attributed to RL factors out of your control; we're reasonable here in the forest.

I don't really mind (life is hitting me hard right now with college applications so little time to do things). Again, take as much time as you need, we would rather prefer something high quality later than a rough, rushed out product now. (that and we're used to waiting at this point)

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

Ugh.

Spent an hour or so playing the next submission and made basically no progress, and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong either. I'm not having fun with this one, and I think I'll either take a break, or put it off and play a different submission in the mean time.