2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424251/article/fines-roundup-suggs-docked-8268-for-hit-on-blount

The whistle isn't blown yet. Suggs was ending the play. You can place the blame on the refs here. The flag wasn't even thrown until a few seconds after when people starting fighting, which is what spurned the ref to throw the flag but label it unnecessary roughness. Suggs is generally not a dirty player.

It still looks to me like Suggs drove his helmet into Blount's thighs. But yeah, I blame the refs too.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the fact that I wasn't a huge Pey-Pey fan before hearing about this factors into my reaction. That being said, the lengths the Manning clan went through to drag an innocent victim's credibility through the mud are astounding and pretty despicable.

Plus, fuck that guy for kissing Papa John. He's a shameless sell out, which might not affect his QBing abilities, but make him very difficult to like for me. I respect what he's done as a player, definitely. Certainly would have preferred he not go out on top. In my opinion, Belichick gave Manning this SB when he decided to do a rubgy drop kick after taking a 14-0 lead on the Eagles.

Or pretty much not trying against Miami (they called like 5 passes and 20 runs in the first half which is not very Patriots). People speculate Belicheck did it specificailly for seeding matchups, but giving up potential homefield advantage seems dumb.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Whoa, a Pitt University RB named James Conner is fighting cancer, and I think it's the same exact cancer Eric Berry had. Hodgkin's Lymphoma, right? That's freaky. Hope the guy beats it just like Berry did! You never know who could be a star and who might not be.

Edited by Anacybele

That's gold. I need to see one of those for Bills fans.

As an aside, salary cap is going up. That'll keep us out salary cap hell.

Edited by John Barrowman

Deadspin has a pretty solid compilation of Bills fans. They do some absurd (and often inappropriate) things, especially in the past few years.

We are Bills fans, hear us roar.

We also don't give a fuck. It's Western New York, not like you'll come to visit.

And James Harrison is still sticking around. o.o I honestly expected that dude to retire since he literally only came back because Tomlin called him OUT of retirement.

Also, lovin' DeAngelo Williams even more than I did before now. He said his termination paper from the Panthers fired him up to play well for us. He's the best backup RB we ever got!

Concussions are less serious than torn ligaments. By miles. A torn ligament can possibly end a career.

I have a friend who's had about 11 concussions. No permanent brain damage.

get a load of this guy huh

for as much as ana's posts are vehemently criticized, i'm surprised misinformation like this isn't challenged.

get a load of this guy huh

for as much as ana's posts are vehemently criticized, i'm surprised misinformation like this isn't challenged.

Concussions happen a lot more than torn ligaments and usually sidelines a player for a week at most, even after multiple. A torn ligament may end a career on the spot.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

A torn ligament doesn't have a chance of impacting your life later, though. After multiple concussions, someone can later have brain problems that won't just go away. Like I pointed out before, the NFL did a study on this and found that a lot of past NFL players that got a bunch of head injuries ended up with brain problems. I think I'd rather have a torn ligament than end up with dementia or something.

It went unchallenged because I couldn't be bothered to argue against it

I mean, there's somewhat strong evidence in favor of stuff like this

- OJ Simpson's whole fall from grace seems to be somewhat evident of CTE

- Numerous NFL players who died young diagnosed with CTE

- Brett Favre's memory problems

- Kevin Kolb saying that it is difficult to function from day to day

- Junior Seau committing suicide

- Walter Payton committing suicide

- This is a joke with people but Phil Simms is becoming gradually more incoherent

- Numerous former NFL players saying they wont let their kids play football

There is actually lots of research on this kinda stuff, and in general it varies depending on the person and that the NFL has actually legitimately done a lot to silence concussion research or prevent it from going public. To some extent, it's clear the NFL is seeing that concussions are an issue given the fact that more people are getting checked for concussions and they're treading more carefully for it - just like 5 years ago Antonio Brown would be playing in Denver, and now they are being significantly more careful which is why we see more concussions this year. Because they've always happened, but they're more careful now.

Your friend who is still relatively young isn't the only data point here, and its effects are significantly more long term. What I listed were just the short term guys, the older NFL players have it much worse.

From a pure standpoint of damage to a person's health, concussions are, on average, far worse than torn ligaments. The long-term brain damage can potentially stay with you for the rest of your life; a torn ligament leaves you limping at worst. Of course, not all concussions are going to result in long-term damage, just as not all torn ligaments are going to leave you limping forever, and different people react differently. But there's a reason that there was a concussion lawsuit and not a torn ligament lawsuit.

Of course, this changes from a money perspective, particularly depending on where in their career the athlete is. Most players probably make many times more in their career than they do after their career, and might prefer 10 mil over their long-term brain health. shrug.

I was going to expand on my point after work but BBM answered it for me.

I'm looking at the football career, not the after effects. Darryl Talley is a perfect example of the long term effects but in the short run, it barely slowed him down.

Yes, my personal example is not a good one but like I said, we're talking from a "player's perpective". A concussion is a slight bump in the road. A torn ligament is much more serious in the short term.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

The football career doesn't span an entire player's life though. This is what we're all trying to talk about.

In plain terms, I don't care about after the player retires for the purpose of this argument.

With regard to injuries while a player is active in the league, a torn ligament is more serious than a concussion.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

In plain terms, I don't care about after the player retires for the purpose of this argument.

With regard to injuries while a player is active in the league, a torn ligament is more serious than a concussion.

Then you're selfish. I'm pretty sure those players' families and friends DO care about after they retire.

Edited by Anacybele

i would argue that the browns are kenny

they're both

nobody gives a shit about them, nobody takes them seriously, everyone always shits on them, and they're always treated like shit by their parents/owners, show occasional spurts of competence that die quick and they're just cutely pathetic to fangirls (butters)

they always die (kenny)