2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know.

Hunter Henry played basketball in High School.

man this boy is gonna carry Gates memes if he stays a Charger lmao.

A DT for the third round, not bad at all! Javon Hargrave, I think they called him. But now I need to turn off the draft, it's making my internet so freaking slow.

Edited by Anacybele

First, when will 2016-2017 NFL season thread start?

Second, the AFC West pass-rush is literally gonna kill all Quarterbacks. It'll come down to best O-line and secondary in the division lmao.

Good question. I've been wondering when Lord Raven will start it as well, if he wants to. Otherwise, I'll make the thread again. :P

Kind of irritated that the Steelers drafted a WR rather than a QB. I mean, a WR makes SOME sense because of Bryant's supsension. But all we have for Big Ben backups right now is Landry Jones. Vick's a free agent. Can't rely on Bruce Gradkowski, the guy keeps getting hurt. And after we had all our QBs injured last season at some point, signing another QB just feels like it NEEDS to be done. And so far, none of the undrafted rookies the Steelers signed are QBs.

Edited by Anacybele

This Friday afternoon I will update the thread title to represent the 2016-2017 season. I'm not starting a new thread.

School sucks guys

No, he does not. Jarryd Hayne was a Rugby League player (distinct from Rugby somehow) who was pretty damn good but ended up playing for the 49ers in 2015 as a KR/PR/RB. Sadly, he sucked at all three.

I kinda feel bad for him because he played for a 49ers team that was horrifically run and horrific in general. Their HC looked like a deer in headlights every game.

Oh. Sorry, I just assumed because Parrhesia doesn't follow American football and follows soccer and nothing in that image looked NFL-related to me. I made a simple mistake, so again, sorry...

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, and he's gone code-hopping again, to sevens (which I think is more like union than league? Which is a hard enough transition to make, but union has 15 guys on the pitch. Sevens has... seven. (league has 13.). And he's probably ineligible for the Olympics anyway lmao, where he wants to represent the world's best nation at sevens.

Looking forward to seeing him enlist as a goalkeeper in the A-League next season!

Yeah, and he's gone code-hopping again, to sevens (which I think is more like union than league? Which is a hard enough transition to make, but union has 15 guys on the pitch. Sevens has... seven. (league has 13.). And he's probably ineligible for the Olympics anyway lmao, where he wants to represent the world's best nation at sevens.

Looking forward to seeing him enlist as a goalkeeper in the A-League next season!

What's next? Being a wicket-keeper for Australia's cricket team?

By this point I really wouldn't be surprised!

It's like, the team he was with for gridiron was like, the shittest team in the NFL, right? And he couldn't crack that? And he expects to walk into the strongest nation in 7s? Like three months out from the Olympics? S M H

Edited by Parrhesia

By this point I really wouldn't be surprised!

It's like, the team he was with for gridiron was like, the shittest team in the NFL, right? And he couldn't crack that? And he expects to walk into the strongest nation in 7s? Like three months out from the Olympics? S M H

Well, to say the were the shittiest team in the NFL is a bit of a stretch (though they were pretty bad). I mean it wasn't too long ago that they were consistent contender, now they're just an absolute train wreck.

One wonders how much sevens experience he has

It was shitty because the coaching was shitty, the roster wasn't awful by any means (but they lost like 10 players to retirement the year prior) and he was 1up'd on the depth chart by some pretty promising rookies who actually knew how to play the position and the game. Fundamentals are important, and this is true of basically any sport.

The problem is that he had raw athletic talent and there's a chance the coaching really screwed him.

Coaching is generally more important than players on the roster in the NFL. Just as an example, the 2015 Ravens didn't have a great roster either (marginally better than San Francisco after Flacco went down with the entire rest of the offense) but we went 5-11 (5-9 in close games, got demolished by two really good teams) because we had a Top 3 coach in the nfl.. The 49ers got demolished, because it's pretty clear that the coaching staff was put in there so the organization could both tank and get a new coach after a year. Although, it's baffling how poorly they're run, because Kelly definitely demands just as much in terms of personnel and drafting as Harbaugh did, so I don't know why they went for him.

Edited by Lord Raven

One wonders how much sevens experience he has

Professionally? None.

It was shitty because the coaching was shitty, the roster wasn't awful by any means (but they lost like 10 players to retirement the year prior) and he was 1up'd on the depth chart by some pretty promising rookies who actually knew how to play the position and the game. Fundamentals are important, and this is true of basically any sport.

The problem is that he had raw athletic talent and there's a chance the coaching really screwed him.

Fair enough - still, the view here's generally that he should have stuck it out, and the fact that he'd decided to go code-hopping again...

Do you think the switch would be possible under different circumstances? Less bad team, earlier start, someone gently reminding Hayne how to jump...

Oh yeah, AB got sent home from DWTS last night. :( I don't think he was necessarily the best dancer of them all, but I do feel like he should've made the finals and that those damn judges were being too hard on him. They repeatedly gave him lower scores than almost everyone else except for Disney Night even though many people are saying they thought he performed just as good as or better than some contestants that were given higher scores. In both this season and past seasons.

But oh well, he still got pretty far, I suppose. The semi-finals, after all. And it's just a dumb dance show anyway, I never watch it unless a star I like is on it. I watched only when Hines Ward, Nick Carter (Backstreet Boys guy!) and AB were in it as of now. Fun fact, two of these three made the finals in their respective seasons (Hines Ward and Nick Carter, of course) and one of them won it all (Hines Ward! Unfortunately, Nick only got second place, though that's still pretty awesome).

And what I do like is that AB lasted longer than the other two NFL-related contestants that were in this season (Doug Flutie got the boot first, then Von Miller). Heh heh.

Going back to more NFL talk, I think there's a good chance the Steelers could be the first seed for the AFC in the playoffs this season! Two main reasons:

1. They still have arguably the best offense in the league when healthy, even without Bryant (Hey-Bey fills in well enough for him and we have crazy receiver depth). And the defense is gradually getting itself an identity.

2. The Patriots are likely going to be knocked down a smidge with Tom Brady out four games. And the rest of the AFC just might not be able to keep up with them or the Steelers. The Bengals and Ravens have the Steelers in their division, and the Broncos lost Pey-Pey. The Colts have just lost power completely all of a sudden. And there's no need to talk about anybody else here. :P

Now, even considering Brady's suspension, the Pats could still get the first seed again. But that's why I say good chance, not AMAZING or 100% chance. And you still have to consider that the Steelers might once again get hit with the injury bug or that maybe neither the Steelers nor the Pats will get the top seed. I'm just saying there's a pretty nice chance overall we see the black and gold at no. 1.

Edited by Anacybele

I think it will be a long ass time before an AFCN team gets a 1 seed again, because the Ravens/Bengals/Steelers take turns fucking each other out of it.

When's the last time we got a 1 seed? 2004? Last first round bye was 2011, because we've spent too much time sending 2-3 teams to the playoffs in the past decade.

EDIT: I was curious so I looked up how many times each division got a 1 seed since the last time the AFCN did.

AFC South: 2005/2009 (IND), 2008 (TEN)

AFC West: 2006 (SD), 2012/2013/2015 (DEN)

AFC East: 2007/2010/2011/2014 (NE)

Edited by Lord Raven

Uh, did you guys forget how banged up we got? And we still made the divisional round AND almost won it. Imagine what this team could do while healthy.

I know we weren't hit with injuries as badly as the Ravens were, but at some point in the season, we were without:

Ben

Bell

AB

Bryant (because of suspension and injury)

De-Lo

Pouncey

Shazier

That's most of our top playmakers. Ben was also playing injured a couple times.

Edited by Anacybele

lol you also got swept by the ravens and put up like 10 against the bengals... you also came extremely close to losing to a team in the wild card round that did not have their QB

plus you guys blew out an indy team that was also pretty injured

the 2015 season for pittsburgh was wholly unremarkable.. the bengals won their division + almost won in the wild card + almost took out the Broncos' chance at the 1 seed and the division without a QB