Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

I was thinking Revenant, but just wanted to double check. Funny how the localised games use Revenant to describe Zombies : P

The definition for revenant is "a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead" (New Oxford American Dictionary), so I find it strange it's being used for Camilla. (I may have misunderstood your post, however)

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me the void that Phoenix mode fills that casual mode doesn't already? I mean, I'm all for giving the players more options but not if those options are a bit pointless.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, May 12, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, May 12, 2015 - No reason given

accidental post (forum was being slow)

Edited by SamusAran
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, May 12, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, May 12, 2015 - No reason given

accidental post (forum was slow)

Edited by SamusAran

Phoenix Mode sounds pretty fun, it makes grinding up supports much easier and testing out things about the game.

I actually like the no weapon durability, if they balance it right it could easily work for Nohr. I remember saving every single special weapon because what if I need it more later. Also, do we have conformation on no weapon weight? Or is it just something that people don't expect because it was removed from Awakening.

Tell me, who immediately thought of giving Frederick the MU's bronze sword on chapter 1 on their very first try?

I doubt anyone thought of that on their first playthrough of Lunatic.

People who actually looked around the map at enemies instead of just sending fred/avatar in blindly.

Hummmm.... Interesting, so weapons no longer have durability. Well this is just my theory but: What if it has been replaced with the weapon condition?

According to some pics, there is a box behind the weapon icon with different color, maybe it represent the status of the weapons: Bad, Good, Best... Somethings like that. And the condition would affect the Might or Critical?
http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/nohr4.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom of the weapon, there is a Color Bar too. When the bar went down to empty, it would change the weapon condition to worse than the normal weapon. That's why it has so many color.

Also one thing I noticed that, the enemy is clearly pair-up in this pic
fami1205-3.jpg

(Sorry if i had any mistake in grammar, English is not my native language :) )

Just got done reading all the comments. A lot of people here have different opinions on these topics, but none are really accepting the other's point of view or are being way to pushy with their opinions. Can't we be civil and talk about these new features maturely?

Awesome, no weapon durability. One less thing to translate when I'm playing the JP version next month.

In all seriousness, I like it. It is dependant on how acquiring weapons are in this game. As others have mentioned many times, when money isn't an issue, it's effectively a pseudo-infinite weapon thing (except for Legendary weapons at times).

As for Phoenix mode. Huh. Didn't expect that. I wonder what the respawn will be like. Do they just re-raise in place, or is there a home base they come out of (like they probably rush back to a medic and heal up lol).

Changes the context of this comic lol:

2014-04-15-559.png

Just got done reading all the comments. A lot of people here have different opinions on these topics, but none are really accepting the other's point of view or are being way to pushy with their opinions. Can't we be civil and talk about these new features maturely?

I don't care much of what other people think lol. I just wanna play the (single-player) game.

Edited by Jacien

Hummmm.... Interesting, so weapons no longer have durability. Well this is just my theory but: What if it has been replaced with the weapon condition?

According to some pics, there is a box behind the weapon icon with different color, maybe it represent the status of the weapons: Bad, Good, Best... Somethings like that. And the condition would affect the Might or Critical?

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/nohr4.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom of the weapon, there is a Color Bar too. When the bar went down to empty, it would change the weapon condition to worse than the normal weapon. That's why it has so many color.

Perhaps, but I'm going off of the assumption that the color represents the weapon's position on the weapon triangle.

In general, I don't really understand the problem. If anything, it's implied that Nohr is so hard or designed in such a way that Phoenix mode is the most viable way for some fans who primarily care for the lore/characters to enjoy the Nohr path. The implication is that some other "Easy" mode, where say all enemies stats were halved from Normal, would not trivialize things in the same manner i.e, more than pure stats is needed. Maybe it's necessary having a certain number of warm bodies to simultaneously do some objectives, in a certain timeframe, or such.

In addition, anyone insightful enough to really abuse the mechanics of Phoenix mode (even more tactical sacrifices) could certainly beat the game on other difficulties, which are still available.

In the worst case, it's another of the many modes in the FE series that I have not/will not touch (and that's fine). I can't imagine significant resources were devoted to programming/balancing it either, so...it just seems too trivial of an issue to be outrageous (to me).

Still interested how they handle stave uses.

Edited by XeKr

Bich, you might be. You're more like a cancer.

I don't care if that was his original post, there is no excuse for comparing a person to a disease that is inflicting tremendous agony to countless people and families today. It only makes you look as low as what you percieve the person to be, or even worse.

Sheesh, 20+ pages already, and 104 users are on this topic... What a debate.

hmm... i don't know how to feel about phoenix mode (mainly because i don't see a point besides support grinding, and even then)- or the 9 save slots, for that matter. are they all basic save slots, or are they counting the casual mode map-save slots in that?

as for the weapon durability (correct me if i'm wrong), hasn't that been done in gaiden? in that, there were no heal staves, and magic cost HP to use, i believe. if they completely drag that in, i think everyone's going to be in a world of hurt (r.i.p. half the classes i'd put people in, tbh).

so i'm seriously hoping they do make it less like gaiden's way of no weapon use limit (esp. because i'll finally use the levin swords, as well as brave and killing edges), but other than that, i am wondering how that would work, as well as with hammerne, rescue, and warp staves- status staves as well, if they're back.

also-- with the addition of the weapon function, is it possible we'll be seeing the steal function make a return?

Edited by falcoknights

also-- with the addition of the weapon function, is it possible we'll be seeing the steal function make a return?

It would be great if in the Nohr route there were no shops, everyone started with crappy weapons and stealing was the only way to get some of the better ones. Haven't played Thracia but I hear that's pretty much how it is. It could make sense that Garon shut down all of the public armories in an attempt to prevent acts of rebellion.

Edited by Bovinian

I'm less interested in the weapon durability (because just its an annoying mechanic unless you build the game to suit it like Thracia did) and more interested in the dual system stances. Curious to see how that will work. Oh and it seems that if other royals can use dragon powers like your dragon's vein, is it right to assume that they'll use them when you fight them? If so, that'd be amazing.

Seeing a lot of hate for mechanics we know next to nothing about. Phoenix mode could be there b/c Nohr's Lunatic difficulty is nigh impossible for players with little to no experience to enjoy/play it (especially the early chapters, which is good as if iirc you can change the game's difficuly later on). Hell, it could even be a trap; as in it's so easy that players feel unaccomplished beating it, encouraging them to try harder settings. Or it may just be shit. The fact is we don't know yet and though there has been instanes of creative discussion, the majority of the negativity here is not helpful to any conversation at this point.

The same can be said about weapon durability. We have no idea of how they're going to rebalance the game to accomodate this change. The weapons could be a lot more sparce in this game, even moreso in the Nohr path due to 'less resources.' There weapons at shops could raise insanely in price, if there are any shops at all, again, making Nohr that much more difficult. They could also do nothing and just throw unbreakable wapons at you.

I'm not saying not to ask questions or have your own opinions, but bashing mechanics (pussy mode, loser mode, etc.) that we basically have a sentence of information about is both unfounded and unnecessarily pessimistic. Especially when IS seems to be trying to fix what was complained about in Awakening like tweaking the pair-up system along with letting enemeies utilize it and hiring a writer to improve story-telling.

As for my own personal opinion: I'm interested in Phoenix mode, actually quite a bit more than I was than classic. I think this would ease into this game's Lunatic + more, as I found thaht mode RNG hell and more 'make your character invincible' than actual strategy. As it has been said, I concur that this mode will be hella useful in justt getting information from the game (supports, reinforcements, etc.) and might actually be fun to just muck around in.

As for weapon durability, to me the only way it was relevant was how it stopped me from using legendary weapons. I've never worried about having enough money, there was either the arena, they basically throw money at you, or DLC. I think IS accomodating the world to this mechanic of unbreakable weapons might actually add more strategy than weapon durability ever could.

As for my own personal opinion: I'm interested in Phoenix mode, actually quite a bit more than I was than classic. I think this would ease into this game's Lunatic + more, as I found thaht mode RNG hell and more 'make your character invincible' than actual strategy.

This only makes sense if you felt that the only way to beat Lunatic+ was to grind all of your units into oblivion, to the extent that your units OHKO enemies through Counter and have enough Def/Res to laugh at Luna+. If you are going to go that far (read: basically capped stats by early-mid game), then the challenge of getting through Lunatic+ is pretty much pointless.

Phoenix mode makes it so that you can jump into the pit of brutal Lunatic+ enemies with no strategy/planning and still win through sheer persistence. If that's what floats your boat, then whatever, do what you want. But to me personally it doesn't sound like it'd be very fulfilling, just annoying.

No more weapon uses? Let's all say goodbye to Armsthrift now!

I'm not sure how I feel about Phoenix mode, and tbh at first I didn't like the sound of weapon usage not returning, simply because I was used to it. But I suppose no more weapon usage is a good thing, and I won't have to worry about Armsthrift taking a slot on my character skill set.

And I seem to be a bit confused on the pair-up thing now... so the character has to be adjacent for a dual strike, but completely paired up to guard?

To me, I pretty much have less reason to play the game in Casual mode. If I want to breeze through the game herpaderp, I'd just go Phoenix mode. I'd do Classic mode for the bragging rights as well as the possible unlock (in Awakening, beating the game in Lunatic unlocks Lunatic+ difficulty).

I'm definitely never going touch Phoenix mode, but it's there for people who are interested in it, I guess. It seems a bit redundant to have Phoenix mode when there is Casual mode, especially if Casual mode retains it's battle saves. Ah well, it's not like I'll ever have to touch the modes. Definitely jumping in on the Nohr route, with Lunatic Classic.

This only makes sense if you felt that the only way to beat Lunatic+ was to grind all of your units into oblivion, to the extent that your units OHKO enemies through Counter and have enough Def/Res to laugh at Luna+. If you are going to go that far (read: basically capped stats by early-mid game), then the challenge of getting through Lunatic+ is pretty much pointless.

Phoenix mode makes it so that you can jump into the pit of brutal Lunatic+ enemies with no strategy/planning and still win through sheer persistence. If that's what floats your boat, then whatever, do what you want. But to me personally it doesn't sound like it'd be very fulfilling, just annoying.

Honestly, the early chapters of Lunatic + seemed less like stragtegy and more "Pick a god and pray' than anything else and turned me off for the mode entirely, especially with the reinforcements. And that was definitely a hyperbole by me as I am entirely too lazy to max out anything by mid-game. I just think it took way too long for Luna+ to rely on strategy than luck.

Because I don't think anyone has pointed it out, I am huge fan of strategies that rely on units breaking their own weapons in order to enable them to swap their weapons by themselves in situations where it isn't possible to get someone else to tradeswap them. It also allows for AI manipulation in that units with weapons about to break are considered unarmed by enemies. Micromanaging weapon uses is definitely something I've come to appreciate a lot, and I always attempt to keep low use weapons just in case I need them to break to facilitate a strategy.

Removing weapon durability removes this tactical element.

Edited by Irysa

Good find.

Phoenix mode is not really my shtick so I won't be using it. It's kind of ridiculous how units can be revived on the same turn. But its optional so good for the newcomers and others who are interested.

Dragon blood for all members is kind of a letdown imo bc it makes things easier in battle.

Unlimited uses is a letdown though. Spending gold and weapon uses was one of the few things that kept Awakening from getting too out of hand and breaking weapons was always an interesting. Just think about having an unlimited upgraded brave sword or killing edge. Now multiply that X30 for every party member. I'll be interested to see how the devs balance this out.

On the flip side though, I'm interested to see how difficult the dark path is if they've implemented features such as the one above. And perhaps taking away use limits and saying we'll have to pick the right tools for the mission means several more weapons types. Still on the hype train for this game.

Because I don't think anyone has pointed it out, I am huge fan of strategies that rely on units breaking their own weapons in order to enable them to swap their weapons by themselves in situations where it isn't possible to get someone else to tradeswap them. It also allows for AI manipulation in that units with weapons about to break are considered unarmed by enemies. Micromanaging weapon uses is definitely something I've come to appreciate a lot, and I always attempt to keep low use weapons just in case I need them to break to facilitate a strategy.

Removing weapon durability removes this tactical element.

It depends on what happens as a result of its removal.

If weapons are having their durability removed and instead we get more weapons that do more interesting things, I'm fine with it, as you can now make that cool weapon like the Rapier that people aren't afraid to use because they "might need it for something good," Or weapons having "MP" or something that gives them abilities that can run out and need to be recharged, again, I'm fine. There are plenty of instances where I can see the removal as a good thing, but we'll have to wait and see.