9 save slots

Eveangaline

Oh man I am so hype for nine save slots you cannot even believe. I know lots of people just like to play a game once or twice but I'm sort of a serial replayer and especially with the different paths and if we get more choices having 9 save slots is wonderful for me. Anyone else super glad about this?

Yeah, I'm irrationally happy about this. Not only do I typically share an FE cartridge (/GC memory card/Wii hard drive) with my significant other, but often have loaned it out to friends as well, not to mention I have played most of the games half a dozen times or more, and I love keeping save files as records of my previous parties. Anything that increases the number is great as far as I'm concerned.

Eh between 3 campaigns, 9 slots isn't a whole lot in my opinion.

Yeah, it certainly could be more. I'd honestly like to see them just go the route of letting you save files on the SD card so you could make as many as you want, but 9 is still a good step, especially compared to Awakening's three (plus two map saves if you want to be awkward).

It's about damn time. I had no idea why they reduced the number of available slots after RD. Do they really take up that much space?

After I've played through the game a couple times, I often do themed runs that I don't always finish immediately, so it will be very nice to not have to cut some out to try something else.

I was hoping they meant 9 save files per route lol. Oh well, I guess 3 per route isn't terrible and I can probably delete *tear* playthroughs of the routes I'm not fond of if that ever happens.

Hell yes. 3 slots for each of the 3 campaigns I'm stocked about that now I'll finally be able to have both M/F avatars files and a play around file for each scenario. Should also make unlocking supports alot easier.

You know, looking at it, it really is the same as Awakening. IIRC, we start with 3 and get 3 more with each major dlc route, so it is still 3 per game (although if you like one route much more than another, you could probably just use that route's save slots, and I guess it is like having more)

Edited by TheCaptain

Yeah, I can definitely agree that having 9 save slots is awesome, especially since for Nintendo games, having 1 (looking at you, Pokemon) or 3 save files is the norm, though you DO start out with 3 save slots -- the other 6 will come by getting the other 2 story paths.

But it sort of shies in comparison to a visual novel I've played which has 200 (yes, two hundred) save slots available though that's because it's also a turn-based SRPG game and that players can save at almost any time in case players make a mistake or missed something though most players would attempt to manipulate the RNG.

Didn't the article say that you'll get 3 additional slots with each DLC you buy?

Yep. More specifically it's 3 more save slots for each route you purchase, if I've been reading correctly. So if you have all three routes, then you have 9 save slots.

quick question- has it been mentioned if they're all basic save slots and this number doesn't take into account casual mode map saves or could the 9 save slot number potentially include all types of save data (reg. save file and casual mode save file)?

But it sort of shies in comparison to a visual novel I've played which has 200 (yes, two hundred) save slots available though that's because it's also a turn-based SRPG game and that players can save at almost any time in case players make a mistake or missed something though most players would attempt to manipulate the RNG.

It's not uncommon these days, actually. I remember Kingdom Hearts having something like 99, and Skyrim is basically unlimited. You often don't even have to worry about them being in the game these days, as you can just make a fresh account on consoles and have blank data in the games (and still have access to DLC). If there's one thing about Pokemon that really needs updating, it's the amount of save slots.

It's not uncommon these days, actually. I remember Kingdom Hearts having something like 99, and Skyrim is basically unlimited. You often don't even have to worry about them being in the game these days, as you can just make a fresh account on consoles and have blank data in the games (and still have access to DLC). If there's one thing about Pokemon that really needs updating, it's the amount of save slots.

Also forgot to mention that for those going with physical copies, they can use the 3DS Powersaves device to back up saves.

Also forgot to mention that for those going with physical copies, they can use the 3DS Powersaves device to back up saves.

I don't know much about it, but isn't that a lot more complicated? That really shouldn't be considered a solution if it is.

I don't know much about it, but isn't that a lot more complicated? That really shouldn't be considered a solution if it is.

It's actually pretty simple -- a copy of the data on the card gets backed up onto the user's PC. The user can then back up and restore saves whenever as long as (s)he has a PC w/ USB connection and the Powersaves device. And if cheat codes were to be used, the Powersaves device automatically backs up the save before applying the code(s) by default.

I'm pretty hyped about this. I can do all kinds of playthroughs of IF.

I often do themed runs

Me and my friends also do themed runs of Awakening, so the additional save slots will indeed be a blessing.

It's actually pretty simple -- a copy of the data on the card gets backed up onto the user's PC. The user can then back up and restore saves whenever as long as (s)he has a PC w/ USB connection and the Powersaves device. And if cheat codes were to be used, the Powersaves device automatically backs up the save before applying the code(s) by default.

If it requires external devices, that falls in line with what I said and should not be considered an acceptable alternative to actual save slots.