Famitsu 14th May Digital Issue Out Now

Ryo

Partial transformations now? Damn, this just keeps getting better!

Kamui is definitely not a manakete now though. Manaketes could never partially transform. Glad to know I was right and that he's something new!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there actually is a transformation gauge and you can only fully transform when it's full, and partially if it's half full or something. Either that or a skill?

I don't really know much about programming, but I think it would take less effort to program in a reduction in the speed stat on a weapon then it would to program in a variance in the doubling threshold.

Neither of which are difficult if you know what you're doing. In case of FE programmers, since they're professional programmers working for a reputable company I sure as fuck hope they know what they're doing.

It's not necessary the least effort case, either. Reduction in speed would also affect certain other things, such as enemies might be able to now double you as well as decrease avoid. Increase in doubling threshold does not affect what the enemy can do to you. Even if it's the slightly longer route (and really, depending on implementation it could be trivial), programmers try to aim for the route that doesn't bring about any unwanted side effects.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Perhaps the partial transform is a skill, and that's the activation animation?

That's what I was thinking about. IIRC, there was an unknown skill icon in a screenshot of Kamui's stat page.

I don't really know much about programming, but I think it would take less effort to program in a reduction in the speed stat on a weapon then it would to program in a variance in the doubling threshold.

They're professional programmers, they built the engine. I don't think it being harder or easier has anything to do with it.

Partial transformations now? Damn, this just keeps getting better!

Kamui is definitely not a manakete now though. Manaketes could never partially transform. Glad to know I was right and that he's something new!

Eh, I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Manaketes have functioned differently in different games.

There's even a blurb, although it's probably from the author's perspective that says along the lines of "Kamui can use dragonstones, so does that mean he's a Manakete by series standards?"

"Manakete" is a term to describe a dragon who stores their energy in dragonstones. So be definition, Kamui is at least a Manakete.

I'm leaning more towards skill because he still has his sword equipped in the first pic.

That's what I was thinking about. IIRC, there was an unknown skill icon in a screenshot of Kamui's stat page.

This too.

Eh, I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Manaketes have functioned differently in different games.

There's even a blurb, although it's probably from the author's perspective that says along the lines of "Kamui can use dragonstones, so does that mean he's a Manakete by series standards?"

"Manakete" is a term to describe a dragon who stores their energy in dragonstones. So be definition, Kamui is at least a Manakete.

Oh, huh. I suppose, yeah. We'll see though.

I think I see what you're saying. You read it as, "If you shift down (i.e. from Classic to Casual) you can't later shift back up in the same file" but you believe it may be possible to start in Casual and shift up to Classic partway through the game so long as you never downshifted partway through?

While I suppose they haven't explicitly mentioned that possibility, my reading of it is that there is no shifting up of any kind, only down. If you start in Casual and find it too easy you'd have to start a new file.

The idea of switching difficulties on the go has been revealed for a few days. Kinda assumed it went both ways at the time, so it was more about getting it disproved than confirmed to me. But that was a complete assumption to begin with.

well of course you cant freaking switch to a higher difficulty the main point of classic is for the sense of acomplishment and bragging rights, and what would be the point if someone plays pheonix than beats the game on/swiches when not fighting to classic, what would there streetpass difficulty say, but on the other hand if they go with displaying the lowest used its not fair if someone plays casual/pheonix for one or 2 maps and then plays classic for the rest of it especcialy as they might not tell yoy this if its "free" to switch back. This is the best way i think for it to be fair.

I'm fairly sure bragging rights and what appears on your street pass profile isn't of much concern to IS. Mainly because it's highly unimportant. At worst, they could simply hide what mode you're playing on if it meant nothing.

I forgot to make it clear in the translation that they said completing classic gives a sense of accomplishment. Japanese implications in that sentence means you can safely bet that YOU CANNOT under any circumstances switch up to classic from any other setting.

I said the same thing to DeoGame.

Honestly, your post to him was a bit confusing to me. The bolded part had little to do with what you were trying to say(how does "can't switch back" translate to "can't switch up"?), and it wasn't clear what premise you were referring to. But as said above, I was just defending an assumption as if it was a likely possibility. I somehow forgot nothing was confirmed yet.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Cysx

^ uh yes I'm pretty sure that IS knows of the value older players place on classic and difficulty and they display your difficulty quite prominently and wether you beat the game so i think it does affect their decision also if lunatic + exists they might want to stick with the lower/lowest difficulty unlocks lunatic+ only on the the lowest/lower difficulties, so not changing up is easier. Not even to mention lowering the difficulty cause its too hard is one thing raising it up cause it suits you and you can just go back up is quite another.

Hmm, it seems that IS wanted to create more weapons and to make players use more unique weapons and they felt that durability interfered with that idea. Though, I hope they consider limiting access to these weapons in Hoshido (and we pretty much know Nohr is going to limit access given the linear nature of that route) by means of price point since accessibility to shops won't be an issue due to the world map.

On another note, the idea that weapons will be more diverse excites me because I enjoyed the larger roster of potential weapons you could get in RD, even if some were questionable choices. I hope IS takes this idea far. Aqua being a songstress that uses lances is awesome, because I was getting tired of dancer types using swords, hopefully she gets more interesting skills later on in the game. As for Kamui's partial transformation, I think it could be a crit animation.

^ uh yes I'm pretty sure that IS knows of the value older players place on classic and difficulty and they display your difficulty quite prominently and wether you beat the game so i think it does affect their decision also if lunatic + exists they might want to stick with the lower/lowest difficulty unlocks lunatic+ only on the the lowest/lower difficulties, so not changing up is easier. Not even to mention lowering the difficulty cause its too hard is one thing raising it up cause it suits you and you can just go back up is quite another.

The worst part is, you may be right. Nothing was forcing them to put the difficulty/mode on display for streetpass, yet it happened. The rest also makes sense, except that last part, which I'm not understanding.

I still really dont like the idea that if the thought of allowing to switch the difficulty up crossed their mind, the reason they didn't go with it would be akin to "But guys, what about bragging rights and the display on streetpass?"

^ the last part is that switching up lowers the need to stay on classic, when you can just go back to casual/Pheonix whenever you freaking want to also classic actually doesn't raise the difficulty at all if the game is easy on casual you are pretty much playing classic anyway.

^ the last part is that switching up lowers the need to stay on classic, when you can just go back to casual/Pheonix whenever you freaking want to also classic actually doesn't raise the difficulty at all if the game is easy on casual you are pretty much playing classic anyway.

But why would you assume that, if switching up were to exist, it would allow to switch back down afterwards, when the opposite doesn't stand true for simply switching down?

Edited by Cysx

In case anybody wants to play catch up or have something to reference, I've written up a report now : )

feif-skirmishmenu-300x177.jpg

When initiating an optional battle in the Hoshido route, players can select from a list of locations, such as a suspension bridge, mountainside village, royal capital plaza, grasslands and a fortress. Now this could just be an innocent, handy shortcut to quickly get straight into battle.

On the other hand, what if this is a sign that Hoshido doesn’t actually have a traversable world map? After all, the developers never explicitly said Hoshido had a world map–just that it has a “world map-like” system where players could train outside of missions.

Am I over-thinking things or is this a valid concern? XD

But why would you assume that, if switching up were to exist, it would allow to switch back down afterwards, when the opposite doesn't stand true for simply switching down?

Cause switching down exists for a reason, it lets you beat the game if it is too difficult, One of Phoenix's main reasons for existing seems to be for if you have a low level team in Nohr and are stuck and can't grind. I don't think they want people to switch up and then get stuck. While switching up is a different can of worms as i have previously mentioned.

In case anybody wants to play catch up or have something to reference, I've written up a report now : )

I think it's valid and most likely true. Thinking from the dev's point of view, why use time and resources to create a world map that is going to be only used in one version? This system accomplishes the same goal while being cheaper and faster to make.

Still, we shall see.

Cause switching down exists for a reason, it lets you beat the game if it is too difficult, One of Phoenix's main reasons for existing seems to be for if you have a low level team in Nohr and are stuck and can't grind. I don't think they want people to switch up and then get stuck. While switching up is a different can of worms as i have previously mentioned.

Well, fair enough.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

But even if they don't have an interactive map, they'll most likely do something like what the earlier games did and show one if you're moving longer distances or where the positioning is relevant to the story.

Edited by vilkalizer

Phew...the interview is done... just formatting it to upload on my site and will paste it here too.

Looking forward to it : D

Also, that was really fast XD

It took me this long to just paraphrase the feature.

I think it might make things better, in a way. The one thing I thought was weird about the world-map like system is that you could traverse the entire continent a million times over regardless of what might be going on there story-wise. If the story says that you shouldn't be able to access certain areas, then having a choice of generic areas to skirmish at might make better sense. It could be the case that these areas are the various 'battlefronts' of the war that you could join to help out smashing the Nohrian mooks or something.