Am I the only one?

I've seen plenty of discussion about Kamui's dragon blood. I don't know why, but I hate this. There's just something about a main character who is half-dragon that I really dislike. It just seems to open the door almost for a repeat of Awakening with the person becoming a "bad" dragon.

Discuss. Rip my ideas to shreds. Do whatever you want.

I doubt we'll see a repeat of Awakening. However, I do share some of your reservations regarding the dragon blood, and I don't know why. Probably because it introduces an element that could easily affect the story in a negative way.

Kamui having Dragon's Blood doesn't bother me... everyone else having it does. I mean, from a Hoshido standpoint, it MAY make sense, but seriously, 10 characters with the same bloody abilities. I mean, those with Dragon's Blood/Manaketes are essential to the lore (Hell, I love Ninian partially because of it) but an overabundance isn't good. My biggest fear is that the bulk of the screen time will go to said Characters... again. Don't get me wrong, I like FE's story, but they need to give more focus on other characters. Awakening came closest with their support system, so anything goes!

Because we never had part dragons or people with dragons blood in any fire emblem games before. Sorry for the sarcasm, but i really don't mind dragons or part dragons or people with dragon blood in fire emblem, dragons and things relating to dragons are kinda a theme in fire emblem.

I doubt we'll see a repeat of Awakening. However, I do share some of your reservations regarding the dragon blood, and I don't know why. Probably because it introduces an element that could easily affect the story in a negative way.

yeah thane I agree. Like his/her ability to move terrain or whatever. I mean, come on, this is fire emblem not a puzzle game. And it might mess up the story too.

Because we never had part dragons or people with dragons blood in any fire emblem games before. Sorry for the sarcasm, but i really don't mind dragons or part dragons or people with dragon blood in fire emblem, dragons and things relating to dragons are kinda a theme in fire emblem.

However, things seem to be distinctly different in this game in terms of abilities, appearance and pretty much everything, really. What I'm afraid of are poor excuses that serve as plot conveniences, such as surviving lethal wounds or gaining cutscene powers that breaks the suspension of disbelief. Like I said, I don't hate the idea or anything, I'm just afraid of where they'll choose to take it.

yeah thane I agree. Like his/her ability to move terrain or whatever. I mean, come on, this is fire emblem not a puzzle game. And it might mess up the story too.

Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and the Dragon Pulse ability seems to be able to provide new layers of strategic thinking, especially since your siblings will be able to use it as well. Going by what we know so far, it sounds like a fantastic addition to the game.

It never really bothered me with Roy.

But the mixed blood thing doesn't bother me at all. FE has a long history of the people/dragon transformations. As long as I find main character interesting and compelling, I don't really care what race they are, but most of that is reliant on the writing and story--not whether the character has dragon blood or not.

As far as the terrain difference being "puzzley" and not strategy, I disagree. Being able to affect a map by setting up choke point, opening up movement options, or creating a shortcut for an escape chapter could all be interesting strategic elements. As long as there is a balance of risk vs reward as you open or close new paths. Like maybe the shortcut is unstable, open to attack on both sides, or even has some sort of falling rocks or other dangers.

I'm fine either way with the half-dragon thing, though in game I probably won't use my MU's ability to turn into a dragon at all in battle. Though the terrain changes would had more strategy to the game so I'm up for that.

It never really bothered me with Roy.

But the mixed blood thing doesn't bother me at all. FE has a long history of the people/dragon transformations. As long as I find main character interesting and compelling, I don't really care what race they are, but most of that is reliant on the writing and story--not whether the character has dragon blood or not.

As far as the terrain difference being "puzzley" and not strategy, I disagree. Being able to affect a map by setting up choke point, opening up movement options, or creating a shortcut for an escape chapter could all be interesting strategic elements. As long as there is a balance of risk vs reward as you open or close new paths. Like maybe the shortcut is unstable, open to attack on both sides, or even has some sort of falling rocks or other dangers.

Because Roy never had a dragonstone

It just feels different to me because it is the main character. I'm not really sure why it bothers me, it just does. I guess it could add strategy. It just seems like it's going off course so far from the old games in some ways. Which, granted, is not necessarily bad.

However, things seem to be distinctly different in this game in terms of abilities, appearance and pretty much everything, really. What I'm afraid of are poor excuses that serve as plot conveniences, such as surviving lethal wounds or gaining cutscene powers that breaks the suspension of disbelief. Like I said, I don't hate the idea or anything, I'm just afraid of where they'll choose to take it.

Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and the Dragon Pulse ability seems to be able to provide new layers of strategic thinking, especially since your siblings will be able to use it as well. Going by what we know so far, it sounds like a fantastic addition to the game.

but what does differences in the dragon form have to do with anything about possible badly done writing. Plus dragon blood is a good reason for why kaimui is powerful ingame. Nearly every fire emblem character is far more powerful than they really should be without any reasons for why, if anything characters in fire emblem normally suffer from a bit of incompetence or being weaker in cutscenes not cutscene powers (let alone to the max). Also the differences are partly in appearance which is different in every game. (Even in the same freaking game: FE 3 tiki was different in book 1 and 2) and the rest seems to be in part an extension of holy/dragon blood from FE 4/5

Aside from the fact that this is the only Fire Emblem game I've been able to speculate about since I hardly knew about the franchise before playing Awakening? Perhaps none. However, the way they phrased the dragon powers' and Kamui's high concentration of dragon blood just made me raise an eyebrow; like I said, I don't hate the idea or anything, and I love the Dragon Pulse idea, I just don't want to see them use his blood as a way to break the suspension of disbelief, nothing more.

Well, the series is kind of all human supremacy with the dragons, or anything not human for that matter, getting the short end of the stick. That's a tad a annoying, and I'll find it even more if they pull a 'Dragon bood dispear and Kamui lose his power to live happily with his (human of course) friends' ending.

And you're going to tell me 'but the laguz/branded', thing is, they were badly written and not developed.

Edited by B.Leu

I'm reading the dragon blood as an analogue to royal blood, since after all, both royal families have it. It's like an AU where royals actually have something special about them besides being the descendants of conquerors.

If there's anything to be upset about, it's that fire emblem keeps following royal protagonists (Ike being the exception), instead of common folk. I mean,

even Robin in awakening turned out to be a surprise! royal.

I'm reading the dragon blood as an analogue to royal blood, since after all, both royal families have it. It's like an AU where royals actually have something special about them besides being the descendants of conquerors.

If there's anything to be upset about, it's that fire emblem keeps following royal protagonists (Ike being the exception), instead of common folk. I mean,

even Robin in awakening turned out to be a surprise! royal.

Uh Robin wasn't a Royal at all, though you could argue he technically became one. But to me this is a stretch.

Nah, I agree with you. But the thing that bothers me the most is Kamui's ears, I mean, if the rest of the royals have the dragon blood too, why is it only Kamui that gets the ears? Granted, there isn't a single scan that show's Sakura's ears, but that's probably not relevant... I feel that Kamui's sort of going to be treated unfairly because of his/her dragon status and that will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Uh Robin wasn't a Royal at all, though you could argue he technically became one. But to me this is a stretch.

Robin have a kind of complicated holy blood, seems pretty royal to me. And at one point, Validar become king of Plegia, well, that's make Robin the prince of Plegia. Technically.

Wasn't the sect of Plegia actually royal in the past actually ? I don't remember.

B-but my natural selection. In all seriousness, this is just a parallel of real life. Humans aren't dominated by fire-breathing lizards in the real world.

That's what they want you to believe.

Nah, but you see what I mean, it's always humanity, human society, human ideals, and screw everything not human.

Of course, they never said that directly.

Edited by B.Leu

I can see the worry, but I'm pretty optimistic.

For one, 90% of FE4's cast had dragon blood.

I'm also looking forward to the battles where the enemy can use Dragon Vein too.

Out of 7 billion people on the planet, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Almost every FE world deals with dragons in some way. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Because Roy never had a dragonstone

It just feels different to me because it is the main character. I'm not really sure why it bothers me, it just does. I guess it could add strategy. It just seems like it's going off course so far from the old games in some ways. Which, granted, is not necessarily bad.

I see you point. It still needs to feel like an FE game and have those core basics. But at the same time, I want the series to grow and evolve. For me, playing FE 11 felt like such a step backwards after FE 7-10. I don't want the same exact gamepaly from game to game, otherwise there wouldn't be anything better than FE 1.

I can see the worry, but I'm pretty optimistic.

For one, 90% of FE4's cast had dragon blood.

I'm also looking forward to the battles where the enemy can use Dragon Vein too.

I actually had not considered that possibility. Your siblings could end up opening a back door right into you party or something. That could lead to some tense chapters. I hope the enemies use the ability well.

Kamui having Dragon's Blood doesn't bother me... everyone else having it does. I mean, from a Hoshido standpoint, it MAY make sense, but seriously, 10 characters with the same bloody abilities. I mean, those with Dragon's Blood/Manaketes are essential to the lore (Hell, I love Ninian partially because of it) but an overabundance isn't good. My biggest fear is that the bulk of the screen time will go to said Characters... again. Don't get me wrong, I like FE's story, but they need to give more focus on other characters. Awakening came closest with their support system, so anything goes!

But if we have most of the screen time split between ten different characters, certainly that's better than Awakening's 3? (If they all have their roles to play and don't become entirely pointless after a certain part of the story, of course. *cough* Lucina *cough*.)

Edited by Leon of Nohr

But if we have most of the screen time split between ten different characters, certainly that's better than Awakening's 3? (If they all have their roles to play and don't become entirely pointless after a certain part of the story, of course. *cough* Lucina *cough*.)

As much as I like Lucina, she was pretty lame after the chapter she joined. She's just like "We have to stop Grima. No, wait, this isn't supposed to happen. Crap, we didn't stop Grima...wait, just kidding we stopped Grima. It's all good, guys." Pretty lame as a character. Even her supports, from the ones that I have seen, didn't do her a lot of justice.

Don't forget that she is a time-traveler who do nothing really worthwhile. ;p

Kind of like your common peggy-sue when you think about it.

As much as I like Lucina, she was pretty lame after the chapter she joined. She's just like "We have to stop Grima. No, wait, this isn't supposed to happen. Crap, we didn't stop Grima...wait, just kidding we stopped Grima. It's all good, guys." Pretty lame as a character. Even her supports, from the ones that I have seen, didn't do her a lot of justice.

Don't forget that she is a time-traveler who do nothing really worthwhile. ;p

Kind of like your common peggy-sue when you think about it.

The scene where she confronts the avatar after chapter 21 is pretty much the most memorable moment in the game for me, and it came pretty close to the end. It's super obvious throughout the game what the avatar does in the future, and Lucina is the only one who actually wants to do something about it.

The scene where she confronts the avatar after chapter 21 is pretty much the most memorable moment in the game for me, and it came pretty close to the end. It's super obvious throughout the game what the avatar does in the future, and Lucina is the only one who actually wants to do something about it.

Yeah and I agree with you in that that scene was very poignant. The problem is, as whatever, emotional, as it was, it still gave her no extra characterization. All it did was reaffirm what she had said the entire game: she would do whatever it took to stop her future from actually taking place. Heck, she wasn't even strong enough to keep that promise when she only had a platonic relationship with the Avatar. So not only is she a) suffering from an immense lack of characterization but also b) we find out that she is too weak to even do something directly in line with said main character trait.

Long story short, I want to like Lucina, but her whole personality is just bleh.