Butler and Maid classes

dragonlordsd

Since the main thread's seven pages long now, I'm posting this to a new thread.

Ok, so we've now confirmed not only are there maid and butler classes, but they actually have promotions.

First off, I want to say that I object to them making maid and butler classes. Sure, the bride class in awakening was amusing, but that was the point. It was DLC. DLC are allowed a certain level of leniency on the weird. Making actual, main characters' default classes maids and butlers is weird.

Now that I've got my hate out of the way, I want details and speculation.

First off, why does Hoshido even have maids and butlers? That makes no sense! They're western servants. I assume that there were servants among the Japanese aristocracy, so why don't they have classes for those? It's weird, and goes against the whole east/west thing.

Second, what weapons do they use, can they use magic, and other stuff.

There. Go.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not any less ridiculous then dancers being a class.

Just because we are used to them, we don't raise an eyebrow, i'm surprised that FE's only had proper "bards" twice.

It's not any less ridiculous then dancers being a class.

Just because we are used to them, we don't raise an eyebrow, i'm surprised that FE's only had proper "bards" twice.

Good point, but still.

Bards and dancers are well established classes in fantasy games, and have been for decades. Bards make sense, because they are essentially traveling entertainers, and it would be reasonable to expect them to have some level of combat knowledge.

Dancers are incredibly acrobatic, and often merge with assassins or thieves, although I will admit that FE to date has never taken this approach.

I dunno. Maybe it just seems weird to me because it's different.

Good point, but still.

Bards and dancers are well established classes in fantasy games, and have been for decades. Bards make sense, because they are essentially traveling entertainers, and it would be reasonable to expect them to have some level of combat knowledge.

Dancers are incredibly acrobatic, and often merge with assassins or thieves, although I will admit that FE to date has never taken this approach.

I dunno. Maybe it just seems weird to me because it's different.

Maybe, sorry if I came off a bit rudely. I'm just used to seeing kick ass maids even in freaking Castlevania as enemies lol.

I like the idea of maids and butlers, but that's probably because I'm used to the idea by now since I've been assuming Felicia would be a maid-like class since we first saw her. And it seems that Maids use staves and "concealed weapons" and I'm guessing it will be the same with butlers. Maybe that one Healer we see alongside Elise in that one screenshot is actually Joker assuming he is the butler-like character on the Hoshido cover which seems very likely.

And I'm guessing Felicia and Joker are loyal to Kamui and not Nohr so they follow him wherever he decides to go and that is why we have them in both Nohr and Hoshido.

Edit: Forgot some words.

Edited by BeartholdtFubar

Maybe, sorry if I came off a bit rudely. I'm just used to seeing kick ass maids even in freaking Castlevania as enemies lol.

True, true. There have been maids in many classics.

Also, I do like the idea that they could be Nohr's equivalent of ninjas.

Edited by dragonlordsd

This game has, officially, WON ME OVER. Maids...and Butlers!? As if BATTLE NUNS weren't enough! ÅŽUÅŽ

Edited by Soul~!

I love the new maid class, and really like Felicia thus far. Also, wasn't Cherche technically a maid? And these new classes don't seem too out of the ordinary. I mean, it's about damn time we see Royalty actually live like Royalty,

http://31.media.tumblr.com/d67f2242a87f921476d8b4c7c6e37e2d/tumblr_nf1v4oE7mu1u02ph8o1_500.gif

Don't you know that any butler worth his salt uses the silverware to fight with?

I'm really interested in this new butler class. I can wait to find out more about it.

If "spoon" is an actual weapon, that would make this the best game of all time, ever.

Just think about the puns... we could have the real "spoony bard."

I know people are pissed about the whole 'anime trope' thing but come one, butlers and maids have been used in fiction for a very long time. And with all the characters with a servant thematic, it was about time we gave them an actual class.

Personally, I'm quite excited about the new classes. Healers who fight back with knives? Sign me up.

Granted I liked Felicia from the beginning, but still.

If "spoon" is an actual weapon, that would make this the best game of all time, ever.

Just think about the puns... we could have the real "spoony bard."

I want this so badly.

I love the new maid class, and really like Felicia thus far. Also, wasn't Cherche technically a maid? And these new classes don't seem too out of the ordinary. I mean, it's about damn time we see Royalty actually live like Royalty,

Cherche was a vassal. Pretty big difference.

They appear to me as previously said to be the equivalent of ninjas for nohr, and it kinda makes sense to have some servants capable of defending themselves by stabbing people, or being able to assassinate "guests" with a knife,ect plus they might not be used as enemy units unless they make sense such as in battles in nohrian castles or mansions. Plus fire emblem has plenty of units who can fight with barely any training so i don't see a problem on that front

One can say that they can be a noble's household retinue who may be able to fight a bit... I suppose Maid and Butler are as appropriate as any other. I look forward to seeing how they are in game.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but my current theory about the servants is that they all belong to a clan that trains them to be bodyguards and servants to royalty.

I believe that it was confirmed in the latest article that all the butlers and maids will follow you regardless of your path. Is this correct?

If you ignore the names of the classes, the two seem ok. They both use hidden weapons (which sound like they'll be either really useful with the debuffs or completely worthless) and the maids use staves, while the butlers use... something. Probably swords, since I can't imagine a Butler with an axe and you would see the lance or bow if Joker (cravat-san) used one.

I was waiting for such a thread.

Gre Nade did it first. This guy. And yes that's his actual name.

evolutioncyframe_1009_2-452484_640w.jpg

Otherwise I'm not too fond of the idea, but I guess we did have a butler with a weapon in front of us the entire time.

Also, the Hoshido may not have butlers or maids. This Joker guy, whose name is also a problem by the way, apparently comes from Nohr. Same goes for Felicia.

For those questioning Maids/Butlers in the game, wouldn't they have to have some sort of protection. I mean, they're in the middle of a bloody war, and both family's heads are on the other's chopping block. If the gaurds fail, which, seeing as this is an FE Game is inevitable, they may be needed as a last ditch attempt. Also, what really differentiates Maids from Clerics. Maids appear to similarly be clerics with a form of self defense, while Butler appear to be more along the Jagen side. It's not like we haven't seen similar classes before, hell many of said classes are returning in this game, these classes are simply more powerful versions. Not unlike Aqua as a Songstress.

I don't know how I feel about this. I like a debuffing weapon type in theory, but i'm wondering how usefull it will be. Enemies usually don't need to be debuffed too badly.

Maids and butlers is also something i'm not sure about. Almost all classes in Fire Emblem have been combat orientated with the exception of the dancer, which is a class meant to motivate your other units. Butlers and maids aren't exactly made for combat as far as i'm aware.

I don't know how I feel about this. I like a debuffing weapon type in theory, but i'm wondering how usefull it will be. Enemies usually don't need to be debuffed too badly.

Well think of it this way, we'll already be buffing and debuffing ourselves with our weapons. Any additions to the enemy or us may be an edge.

Butlers and maids aren't exactly made for combat as far as i'm aware.

Considering they both wield the debuffing weapons, and the maids also have staffs, it's more like they are support classes.

I don't see it as fanservice, it's fine, now if maids were taking up war clerics' axes I would think it was stupid but the way they're supposed to work is pretty interesting and fits IMO.

I was under the impression maids and butlers are from Nohr though? Or at least, not from Hoshido. Even if they can join you in Hoshido, they have Western names. Which again, feels appropriate like how Hoshido has some Asian-inspired classes (ninja, miko).

Do we know what butlers use actually? I thought it was just the male version of maid but I'm not sure.

Edited by Book Bro