I actually like the new Weapon Triangle.

Knight

Sure it doesn't make sense, but it does give some more depth to the gameplay. Though to be honest, I think bows should be in the same category as lances. I haven't heard that many thoughts on it, so what do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes more sense then some of the possible other combinations.

I quite like this new system. The weapon triangle desperately needed something, even if the DS games utilized it the best. Most other games didn't and it was hugely pointless past early game in most other FEs.

Well it adds more thought and with the colour coding and playing the game a few time, I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to memorize, I like it.

I don't have any issues with it making or not making sense, I'm more interested in the fact that they're actually changing it.

Yeah the core system hasn't been really touched since FE4. I mean the magic one has bounced around but that wasn't really the same lol.

I like it. It's not likely that the magic triangle is coming back, so this seems like a better way of handling magic. Even though the great thing about the magic triangle was the variety in magic classes, not any glorious balance it may or may not have brought.

And really, I think it makes sense that all the human weapons are interrelated and antagonistic with one another, while the dragon weapon is its own standoff category; detached from any human concerns.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Honestly, its okay.

I just can't stop thinking the old triangle wasn't broken IS, so why try to fix it tho.

It's a good way to start balenceing inf. durability weapons tho.

assumeing they make the bonuses/deductions FE4 esque

Something in me thinks bows should beat magic, to give them an edge as the primary range weapon.

Absolutely agreed. That's my biggest problem, is that I just can't wrap my head around how it plays out in battle.

As someone who has tried this before, I can definitely say that lances beat swords, and swords usually beat axes, although I never got the "axes beat lances" part. I just imagine a little guy chopping the end off the lance.

Absolutely agreed. That's my biggest problem, is that I just can't wrap my head around how it plays out in battle.

As someone who has tried this before, I can definitely say that lances beat swords, and swords usually beat axes, although I never got the "axes beat lances" part. I just imagine a little guy chopping the end off the lance.

That's definitively true for a realism standpoint, but Lance > all is not the best idea gameplay-wise.

Anyway, I love the idea of the new triangle. I never found the magic triangle to be too relevant, so I prefer to have it integrated with the other weapon types. I always felt that bows > magic logically, but I'm more than willing to overlook that since I feel that this idea is very promising.

It kind of makes sense actually.

Magic is elemental and strong winds and stormy weather interfere with an arrow's trajectory. It beats axes due to the brains beat brawn trope.

Swords and Magic relate to the upper class nobility. The nobility were prime target's for assassins so they get beaten by hidden weapons.

I don't understand how bows beat lances and hidden weapons though.

The placement of bows actually made sense to me. There's kind of a trope in Japanese media of skilled swordsmen being able to knock away arrows. That would be harder to do with something more unwieldy like an axe, and almost impossible to do with a lance.

I don't get magic's placement on the physical triangle for the life of me, though. Why is magic strong against axe users, but less effective against lances and concealed weapons? Also knights get a weapon advantage against mages now, and that's a little weird.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they're expecting more weapons that do magical damage, and I agree. Tomes can't be 95% of the magic damage output in this game, or you're making a whole stat (res) that's only relevant against 1/6th of the weapons!

Someone mentioned in another thread that they're expecting more weapons that do magical damage, and I agree. Tomes can't be 95% of the magic damage output in this game, or you're making a whole stat (res) that's only relevant against 1/6th of the weapons!

That does sound pretty likely. We've seen Linca (basically a big barbarian) hitting an enemy mage for 4 damage; however there was a fire "puff" when she hit with her mace, so it looks very likely that it was dealing magical damage. And since they are trying to make every weapon unique...

Honestly, the whole setup IS made would actually kinda make sense if they were two separate triangles (Magic beats Bows because of what Lynsanity said, Bows beat Hidden Items because of the obvious range advantage, and Hidden Items beat Magic because they allow the user to get the element of surprise and take advantage of the Mage's squishiness and need to read something from a book before attacking). It's really the interactions between the original triangle and the new one where things start to fall apart. Though, at the same time, merging them into one adds more strategy, so I support the decision IS did make from a gameplay perspective.

Though I do wish they didn't nerf bows so much. Not only does this do more to set up mages as the definitive long-range attacker, but swords were probably the best weapons to use bows against due to the fact that swords with ranged attacks tend to be much rarer than hand axes, javelins, and the like.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

I like bows having an advantage over hidden weapons. Weapons that debuff seem like something you will work insanely hard to avoid since they can make winning a level you're on impossible, so archers being able to take them down WITHOUT risking being hit by them and weakened seems like a great way to make archers more important.

I have a feeling plenty of hidden weapons may be ranged weapons though.

Well..I still hope being effective against them will make them more useful to the player. I've always liked archers and I want others to like them too.

Although now I'm thinking about hidden weapons..I wonder if it would be good strategy to have one pair up with a low damage/high health unit and basically hide behind them while weakening foes enough for the tank unit to do heavy damage.