Was this only in fire emblem 7?

It's occurred to me that I haven't actually allowed a unit to die without resetting since my first Fire Emblem game, FE7. In that game, if you completed a chapter and a unit died, after the end-chapter stuff, the lords would ask their assistants what happened to that character, or there'd be a scene showing them talking about how they won't be able to fight anymore.

Have they done that in other games and I've just never seen it, or was it just in FE7?

Well, I have only continued the story letting a character die in FE7 and seen those conversations like you mention, also in Awakening and in it was in the Endgame, so there was no conversation at all. Don't know if that happens if you let someone die during the campaign.

Something Else I noticed on my very first time playing FE7, I let Legault die without recruiting him (Actually I killed him) and he kept appearing in the next cutscene, but that is because he was part of the story, always found that odd.

Yes, only in the tutorial. This because it's a tutorial. All the losed units will come back soon.

Even after the tutorial, I once let Rath die, and he had a conversation with lyn telling her he could no longer continue with her.

Edited by Darkhar

That's because Rath is a very special character considered very precious from the game, and subtly insinued ship for Lyn.

But I don't know this: It was before Lugren death? Tutorial's ending is at the end of Lyn's story, eh.

Edited by ENS

Yes it was in the chapter where you have to rescue/talk to Nino and Jaffar when he died, this was of course on my very first play through ever of any FE, and I had been having a really bad time with that chapter, since he died almost at the end, I let him stay dead.

That's because Rath is a very special character considered very precious from the game, and subtly insinued ship for Lyn.

But I don't know this: It was before Lugren death? Tutorial's ending is at the end of Lyn's story, eh.

No, it happens for virtually everyone, at any time, in any chapter.

No. I don't know why you should say this, but is false. After the tutorial no one has a dialogue after the battle, but evidently a few like Rath.

It's been a while since I've looked at death quotes in FE7 (I usually reset right away), but I'm pretty sure that the scenes where they left without dying were all either due to the character being connected to FE6 (which comes after FE7 if you didn't know) either through having kids that weren't born yet in FE7 (requiring them to live longer- Nino is an example) or actually showing up in FE6 (like Bartre or Karel). Basically, it's to prevent a time paradox.
Well, that and the standard "you're too important to the plot to die" which happens with Ninian and Nils but no one else as far as I can remember.

I think that this might happen for a few characters in Tellius, but I've only really played RD and it's been a while so I can't remember.

EDIT: From what I've seen Bartre, Nino, Rath, Karla, Pent, and Louise all have the after chapter scenes because they have kids in FE6 that aren't born yet in FE7 (well, except Bartre, who also actually shows up in FE6). Marcus gets one because he shows up in FE6. Ninian and Nils have one so they can still be part of the plot without needing to just give you a game over.

Edited by Espella

It's occurred to me that I haven't actually allowed a unit to die without resetting since my first Fire Emblem game, FE7. In that game, if you completed a chapter and a unit died, after the end-chapter stuff, the lords would ask their assistants what happened to that character, or there'd be a scene showing them talking about how they won't be able to fight anymore.

Have they done that in other games and I've just never seen it, or was it just in FE7?

It kind of happens in Path of Radiance, after each chapter (after chapter 8) Soren will show you a report and the names of any units who died or retreated will be listed.

Ike and Soren will change expression if there are lost people to a more pained/lamenting look, but not say anything about them.

Edited by Jedi

Rath, Marcus and Oswin all have such scenes (although the Rath one sounds like he might have actually died. But you know, it was really unclear). Maybe other main character have them too but I think that Pent and Louise leave immediately if the other dies?

On a related note, there were also characters in the Tellius games who had rather excessive exchanges with other characters before they died. Sometimes this also happened against bosses. Jill in PoR is a particular unusual example, in that she has such an conversation if she is killed by Mordecai or Lethe while she is still an enemy. Same with Shinon when Rolf is deployed.

Edited by BrightBow

Karel also has an after chapter conversation.

EDIT: I thought he did, other post says he didn't...?

EDIT2:

Okay actually Karel doesn't have an after battle scene, he just makes it clear he's retreating in his "death" quote.

Yes he does

Karel

Karel:

“Death cannot be bested with a sword… My skills are not yet honed to such a level. I should take my leave of this battle.”

(End of chapter)

Eliwood:

“How is Karel? I heard he suffered a grave wound.”

Hector:

“It seems he just vanished… like the wind. I’m sure he’s out there somewhere.”

Eliwood:

“Hmm…”

Edited by L95

No. I don't know why you should say this, but is false. After the tutorial no one has a dialogue after the battle, but evidently a few like Rath.

I'm fairly positive that I saw Eliwood and Marcus talking about one of my dead units, and I know for a fact that after I stupidly tried to have my not-at-all trained Nino try to talk to Linus in Cog of Destiny and she got KO'd, she had a dialogue with Lyn patching her up.

Edited by Alastor15243

Rath, Marcus and Oswin all have such scenes (although the Rath one sounds like he might have actually died. But you know, it was really unclear). Maybe other main character have them too but I think that Pent and Louise leave immediately if the other dies?

Yes, Louise and Pant leave if one of them "dies" but is only wounded and they do not have a scene after the chapter, is only a couple of lines inmediatelly after one dies.

Edited by Darkhar

Karel also has an after chapter conversation.

EDIT: I thought he did, other post says he didn't...?

EDIT2:

Yes he does

Okay that's what I get for not actually checking in game and just using the internet.

Yeah, I just opened a save file I had in FE7, chapter 22, I let several charaters die and none had a conversation at the end of the turn. they were all lesser chars, so as said before it only happens with characters that have some sort of importance in the story or for FE6