Marriage and Romance Speculation and Discussion Topic

UnknownUber

I'm gonna Stick with my opinion that the marriage mechanic will not be returning and Platonic S-Ranks will be in this game. However, for certain pairings (Perhaps Oboro and Takumi?), marriage/Romance is a definite possibility. A lot of the best Supports in Awakening were platonic so that's what I hope for.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is when people want their self-insert avatar to be able to marry anyone of the same gender regardless of whether or not it would be in character for the other person. Like, are you really some kind of wizard who can convince anyone in the world to reconsider their sexuality? Don't answer this

If they were reserved for only a few pairs in the game (e.g. Nephenee and Heather lol) that would be fine though

to be fair, it is pretty strange and fantastical that everyone of the opposite sex will want you either, when straight. I do get frustrated with realism arguments when not applied to other parts of the game in some areas. Personally, I agree with you, only to the extent that probably every character should not be an option, but if that is true, I feel it is equally valid to say not every character should be an option for Straight characters either. For Fire Emblem, many characters that made no sense could marry nearly everyone else. This gets even more ridiculous with More pairings of any same gender.

But really its ridiculous to start with. What I don't think is ridiculous is it counting for just the Avatar, since the Supports are written anyway, and already it is at ridiculous levels of shipping. Now every same sex unit with any other? No, very much disagree. But if they limit the straight options so it isn't anyone available in the whole army, then I believe 2 or 3 options for a gay player is very acceptable.

I am saying if incest is allowed with even creepy levels of acceptance, I feel that gay players should be able to be with anyone too because we crossed the realism line, if not, a couple options sounds more than reasonable.

to be fair, it is pretty strange and fantastical that everyone of the opposite sex will want you either, when straight. I do get frustrated with realism arguments when not applied to other parts of the game in some areas. Personally, I agree with you, only to the extent that probably every character should not be an option, but if that is true, I feel it is equally valid to say not every character should be an option for Straight characters either. For Fire Emblem, many characters that made no sense could marry nearly everyone else. This gets even more ridiculous with More pairings of any same gender.

But really its ridiculous to start with. What I don't think is ridiculous is it counting for just the Avatar, since the Supports are written anyway, and already it is at ridiculous levels of shipping. Now every same sex unit with any other? No, very much disagree. But if they limit the straight options so it isn't anyone available in the whole army, then I believe 2 or 3 options for a gay player is very acceptable.

I am saying if incest is allowed with even creepy levels of acceptance, I feel that gay players should be able to be with anyone too because we crossed the realism line, if not, a couple options sounds more than reasonable.

Yeah I mean, I also don't feel that it's necessary to have the avatar be able to marry everyone of the opposite sex. I'd be fine if Kamui was only limited to a small subset of paired endings, as was the case for many of the lords in previous games. If there are any characters that are obviously homosexual then it would be cool if they were also an option for same-gendered Kamui, if the player chooses to go that way. Of course with a limited list like this, many of the Awakening fans regardless of orientation would cry if their desired waifu/husbando was off-limits, so I'm not seeing an elegant solution that would please everyone...

Honestly, I doubt Nintendo would make same-sex pairings a thing in this game. Don't get me wrong, I want them put into the game ut I feel it is unlikely. However, Nintendo is going to include same-sex couples in the next Tomadachi Life, so perhaps they'll follow suit in If? (At best, I think they will only put in 1-4 homosexual options. :P)

Good to see this was pinned. Anywho, I realy want to see the dynamic romance between the servants and the avatar. Like I wonder if Felica and Joker were Avatar's childhood friends like Cyrus because they look the same age. I saw one post saying they would pair Felicia and Joker. It makes me wonder if they could be relatives, like there's an entire maid.butler family that serves Nohr or Cyrus is Felica and Joker's father.

I doubt it cause they would have said that when they were officially announced.

Not that this will stop anyone but it's probably worth mentioning that Fire Emblem is a SRPG first and dating sim second. If IS only gives us a few romance option, if any, for characters, I'd say that's a fair choice and not at all a "total failure to appeal to everyone" like some have suggested. Some dating sim stuff can be fun but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of proper characterization.

As some others have suggested, 4-7 supports per character with some romance/paired endings would be best. I don't know if Kamui will have enough characterization to not be a self-insert but if he does, he should have a limited pool of romantic supports.

In any case, homosexual or not, the final case rests in the Japanese fanbase and Nintendo more than our own so let's see what happens. I just want some good groundwork for the romances if they are there and a good amount of acknowledgment of actually being married in the game. Just a few changes in the game's dialogue would fine by me. Like Neko said before, this is primarily a SRPG and dating sim second, so all I want is a slight bit of progress.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll adress this whole marriage debate in the next Famitsu magazine. Awakening revealed their marriage mechanic two weeks before launch, let's see if lightning strikes twice since there's only 2-3 weeks left until it releases over in Japan

Edited by Raguna

I'd rather not go back to limited supports between each character. I'd be fine with the Avatar being the only one that has unlimited supports (and marriage options) while giving the rest limited (marriage) options though.

Really, I don't think IS will allow same-sex marriages given how Japan views it. At most you'll get someone like Tharja who has the same supports towards the Male/Female Avatar but can only marry the opposite gendered Avatar.

But honestly, I don't think IS will remove one of the most popular features of Awakening. Not to mention how the Japanese audience seems to be looking forward to that more than the western audience. From what I've seen, don't take my word for it.

There was a Cordelia topic previously but I'll just leave this here:

If Oboro has a crush on Takumi, then let her get with Takumi. No unrequited love pls, especially if her other supports are going to center around her whining about it. If her other supports do talk about it, then end her Takumi support at A and leave the marriage for paired endings at the end so we don't get another case like Cordelia fawning over Chrom even while married to someone else.

I get lots of Innes vibes from Takumi (silver haired arrogant archer type) so it'll probably be like Innes/Vanessa.

Okay can someone please explain to me what the heck the "Marriage mechanic" is? We need to set a definition or stop using such a vague term. As far as I know, it can apply to

-The ability to S support

-The ability to only S support if it results in romance

-The ability to only S support if it results in marriage

-The ability S support and have it result in a child

-Probably more.

I find it hard to discuss something with someone when I have no idea what their stance is. Not to mention nothing but the first and last ones are actual mechanics and are more story/flavor.

I always think of the word marriage as you know 2 characters getting married which i think was in every game. If you add the word mechanic i think of what was in Awakening and Genenolagy.

Which iiiiiiiisssssss……???? Be specific. My post was lamenting a lack of specificity.

I don't why so many fans of the older games are so up in arms about the whole support romance from what I play, which are the portable GBA and that was before I play Awakening. The whole you can merry off your party was a part of the game well unlike Awakening the characters got hitch at the end. I guess people are against it because it became mainstream or just that it what new fans like about the supports in fire emblem 13.

I don't why so many fans of the older games are so up in arms about the whole support romance from what I play, which are the portable GBA and that was before I play Awakening. The whole you can merry off your party was a part of the game well unlike Awakening the characters got hitch at the end. I guess people are against it because it became mainstream or just that it what new fans like about the supports in fire emblem 13.

It's mostly the self-insert, waifu/husbando stuff that gets people worked up, not paired endings. The creation of this thread was exactly because this board was flooded with "Can I romance X?" "Can I do incest with X?" "Can I have gay romance with X?" threads.

It's mostly the self-insert, waifu/husbando stuff that gets people worked up, not paired endings. The creation of this thread was exactly because this board was flooded with "Can I romance X?" "Can I do incest with X?" "Can I have gay romance with X?" threads.

Oh I got you but that the price you have to pay when you hit mainstream.

Like others have mentioned there's the stupidity involving the self-insert (who somehow manages to magically make everyone of the opposite gender fall in love with them), but I think the main issue is that the supports are a lot more clearly romance focused and bring with them terribly written "romantic" dialogue since almost every support had to end in marriage, whereas in the GBA games they were a lot more subtle and often focused on things other than romance.

Not that this will stop anyone but it's probably worth mentioning that Fire Emblem is a SRPG first and dating sim second. If IS only gives us a few romance option, if any, for characters, I'd say that's a fair choice and not at all a "total failure to appeal to everyone" like some have suggested. Some dating sim stuff can be fun but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of proper characterization.

As some others have suggested, 4-7 supports per character with some romance/paired endings would be best. I don't know if Kamui will have enough characterization to not be a self-insert but if he does, he should have a limited pool of romantic supports.

I meant if they brought back romance,but didn't bring homosexual relations for Kamui at the very least,it WOULD be a total fail in my opinion,at least in the romance aspect,I'm sorry,but that's how I feel,if they didn't bring back romance at all? I would be 100% fine with that actually,but it doesn't seem like it.

I meant if they brought back romance,but didn't bring homosexual relations for Kamui at the very least,it WOULD be a total fail in my opinion,at least in the romance aspect,I'm sorry,but that's how I feel,if they didn't bring back romance at all? I would be 100% fine with that actually,but it doesn't seem like it.

How would you implement gay relationships? Would you select sexuality at character creation?

japan would never do openly gay romance unless its in a VN type game, i'm not sure why people can't comprehend this, i guess they just don't understand japanese culture like us weeaboo's do.

This. Most people don't seem to realize that that homosexuality is typically treated as comedy and a deviant orientation. Gay marriage is illegal in Japan.

Uh, there are plenty of japanese novels, mangas, films and other stuff with gay relationships portrayed in a non-fetishized way. Even mainstream manga/anime stuff like Attack on Titan. There are also openly homosexual and transgender politicians. It's not America in the 60's.

Edited by Terper