Underrated units

Chiki

You know, I never hear many people talk about Legault; people seem to prefer Matthew and Jaffar over him yet I feel like he's the superior thief.

Matthew is around to be a Thief early when it actually counts, Jaffar comes as a level 13 Assassin before Matthew or Legault even have a chance to promote. Legault isn't terrible for what he is, but if people don't talk about him, it's because there really just isn't much to say about him.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never hear many people talk about Legault; people seem to prefer Matthew and Jaffar over him yet I feel like he's the superior thief.

In regards to ranking, Legault has hard mode bonuses, so if I only need one Thief, I will pick him up instantly. The issue is Matthew is there the whole time, so it is possible and very likely to have a Matthew with a lot more speed than Legault by the time he joins, which is really the most important stat for them. This in turn just has people default for Matthew. As for Jaffar, he's already promoted and built up, so it's easy to use him if you wanted.

I believe Legault is a fantastic unit and should nearly always replace Matthew on one-thief maps. I can understand why he's generally not anything special however.

EDIT: WOW more like Red Fox of Sniping

Wrt Laura: I don't think she's that bad. It's just that the pace of the game is very anti-healer, especially in the Dawn Brigade. I still use her in Part three tier one.

This is a good point.

C'mon Laura, get a horse!

Edited by Brinzy

• 4 weeks later...

I love Hugh, even when everyone thinks he's awful. I know, Hugh comes so late, but his stats are actually cool, for normal mode at least (i only play normal mode. Enough challenge that it doesn't become FE8 but still allows me to use whoever i want, instead of Marcus earlygame - zealot midgame - milady and percy lategame). And his promo gains are insane. 30% mag growth? take 4 points of mag uppon promoting!

Just give him good tomes (such as thunder or aircalibur) and that'll take over his meh magic. And his other stats are all good (some defense on a mage, awesome speed, skill doesn't matter when you use any non-dark magic in FE6). He may come late, but he's good enough.

...no, actually it's just that i have some huge favouritism for him. And that i don't play hard mode.

Legault's HM bonuses don't do anything for him. I often hear HM bonuses cited as a reason to use a unit but rarely does anyone mention what they do in practice. Here's what he gets: 3 hp, 2 skl, 2 spd, 1 res. No strength or def. Thief class growths are just the worst. He's a little better than Matthew probably is at this point, barring perhaps speed which Matthew can cap super quickly, but they're both fast enough to steal just about anything and they're just not combat units. Legault and Matthew are virtually interchangeable for almost anything they do and that's why he's just nothing special.

Let's see...

FE6 - Lot: He's by no means a brilliant unit, but I often see him paired with Wade as completely useless, and I don't agree. I think he's a pretty decent unit.

I don't know who else I'd truly call underrated. Maybe Fir, although Rutger obsoletes her, that 30% crit bonus coupled with a Killing Edge is just murder, she gets HM bonuses so she joins with good stats and she's easy to train since she joins you in a chapter filled with pirates and pirate reinforcements that she can take down easily even at level 1.

Maybe Ogier too, Dieck again obsoletes him due to supports, jointime and con, but at least he's got a sizeable speed advantage and more avoid. On his own he's a fine unit with great stats (by FE6 standards), and again very easy to train in chapter 9. I wouldn't say you'd have to really go out of your way and give him tons of favoritism to get him up to par.

Maybe Barth? Dunno, he is basically only HP/Str/Def, but he's the perfect wall pretty much, can promote quickly as he joins at level 9 and Bors will barely be able to outlevel him because of the axe-infested first seven chapters. Wendy is obviously not even up for debate. I still remember reading sometimes that Wendy was the best General because her stats would be the best overall, and that's not even true because Bors equals her in everything (maybe Wendy wins in 1 point here and there at 20/20, which isn't a realistic comparison) and thrashes her in Defense, which is a what a General wants anyway. Those good old days when average 20/20 stats were the only thing people looked at.

I don't really know about underrated units in FE7/FE8/FE9. I can't think of any underrated FE7 units. Maybe Harken? My god he has good bases and still pretty decent growths, even gets HHM bonuses. Maybe it's because of supports or his speed, although the latter is fine imo with 17 base on normal and higher (19 or something) on HHM. Like Pent, he's ready to go immediately, comes with nice weapon levels and a Brave Axe, but I guess he has more competition in Raven than Pent has in Erk. Still, I'd definitely say he's underrated.

I personally love Heath as well and I don't think everyone agrees. He's a fantastic Wyvern Lord and a staple on my team, but again, supports and being obsoleted by Florina/Fiora coming earlier and being great Peg Knights make me understand his comparably lower ratings.

FE8 has no underrated units. Everyone is overpowered compared to the enemies, so it doesn't matter who you use anyways. Same goes for FE9. Wouldn't know about FE10/11/12. I don't know which units people underrate in Awakening, not really familiar with that, and for multiple reasons it doesn't seem really relevant to me in that game because of the endless grinding opportunities thrown at you coupled with infinite reclassing. Pretty much everyone becomes a max-stat bot anyway, it's more about classes and skills in that game it seems to me.

FE8 has no underrated units. Everyone is overpowered compared to the enemies, so it doesn't matter who you use anyways.

Without grinding, units like Amelia and Ewan would be weak enough for a player to consider benching them. As there's plenty of enemies that can 1 or 2HKO them at base, and training them would likely result in a high turn count for the player. Even if they're trained up to lvl 10 in their starting chapter, there's zero guarantee that they'll be strong enough to be able to help the rest of the team out.

The units I'd say would be at least close to underrated would be Ross, Kyle, and Forde. In Ross's case, he's obsoleted by Gerik and, to a lesser extent, Joshua and Garcia. But he can be trained in a reasonable time frame, his offense is solid to warrant at least some mention, and he does have the opportunity to become a Pirate and not have to compete with either of Gerik, Garcia, or Joshua, for a promotion item. However, he's instead be competing with Colm for a promotion item, and there's only one Ocean Seal that comes in the game before the Secret Shop in Ch 14. Kyle and Forde do seem to be units in their own right, but I can understand that they're not often talked about since Seth and Franz (and Duessel, if you go on Ephraim's route) obsolete the both of them.

Same goes for FE9.

There's not enough BEXP on hand to train up your entire forces in FE9. And there are some units that may require BEXP just to function (like Rolf).

Without grinding, units like Amelia and Ewan would be weak enough for a player to consider benching them. As there's plenty of enemies that can 1 or 2HKO them at base, and training them would likely result in a high turn count for the player. Even if they're trained up to lvl 10 in their starting chapter, there's zero guarantee that they'll be strong enough to be able to help the rest of the team out.

The units I'd say would be at least close to underrated would be Ross, Kyle, and Forde. In Ross's case, he's obsoleted by Gerik and, to a lesser extent, Joshua and Garcia. But he can be trained in a reasonable time frame, his offense is solid to warrant at least some mention, and he does have the opportunity to become a Pirate and not have to compete with either of Gerik, Garcia, or Joshua, for a promotion item. However, he's instead be competing with Colm for a promotion item, and there's only one Ocean Seal that comes in the game before the Secret Shop in Ch 14. Kyle and Forde do seem to be units in their own right, but I can understand that they're not often talked about since Seth and Franz (and Duessel, if you go on Ephraim's route) obsolete the both of them.

There's not enough BEXP on hand to train up your entire forces in FE9. And there are some units that may require BEXP just to function (like Rolf).

Nah, I guess they're not overpowered. But they aren't underrated either, they're just pretty pointless units, I think everyone can pretty much agree on that.

Ross is fine with his early jointime, but he's not an amazing unit, and still takes a bit more effort to train than others. However, I'm not familiar with his status in the community, whether he's truly hated or super underrated or something. And yeah, I like Kyle and Forde too but they're just rather unnecessary, much like Treck and Noah in FE6 (those even moreso though). Their stats aren't better than Franz's or Seth's and they join quite a bit later, even though you have 5x but you'll probably want to level up Ephraim mainly.

And I guess it's the same for FE9. Maybe not overpowered, but I don't really see who would be underrated. The game, like FE8, is too easy to really notice. Even if you need to give units bonus experience or tower training, it's there and so easy to use and abuse, options that FE6/7 don't have (or any pre-FE8 game minus Gaiden if I remember correctly). I guess in ranked runs it's different.

If I had to pick an underrated unit from FE9, maybe Calill? She has good stats and growths, still has quite a few chapters to go when you get her, B ranks in every magic...I guess the fact that she has knives rather than staves is a downer though, but still, easy to use unit.

• 3 months later...