Anyone else roll their eyes at this?

Dragoncat

Sigurd and Deidre fall for each other at first sight...to me this just seems cheesy. Romance needs to have time/development to be believable. Without it, you have lust/attraction, not love. Think Ashnard and Almedha. That didn't end well.

I know it has to happen because of plot stuffs, but having it develop over a few chapters wouldn't be hard, seriously, IS? Thankfully in newer games they didn't repeat it. If there's ever a remake, I sure hope they fix that issue...

Love at first sight DOES happen mind you, its rare yes but still. I thought it was kinda cute personally.

Also I doubt IS is gonna remake a game from the Kaga era again because fe4 is one of the weirder titles in the series and despite us westerners who do play the Japanese Fe's loving it. It probably wouldn't sell very well.

Not really, I never took particular issue with it. It's perhaps a little hurried, but it all makes sense in the context of the story.

Love at first sight DOES happen mind you, its rare yes but still. I thought it was kinda cute personally.

Also I doubt IS is gonna remake a game from the Kaga era again because fe4 is one of the weirder titles in the series and despite us westerners who do play the Japanese Fe's loving it. It probably wouldn't sell very well.

But it INTRODUCED the marriage that newcomers seem to be so invested in.

But it INTRODUCED the marriage that newcomers seem to be so invested in.

This is very true! I'm not sure if how the castles worked and such would appeal though.

I like how people say the mechanics and it not selling well would be why it wouldn't get a remake/attract people and not

i don't know

the massive amounts of incest

I like how people say the mechanics and it not selling well would be why it wouldn't get a remake/attract people and not

i don't know

the massive amounts of incest

Game Of Thrones does well here in the States does it not?

And by massive you mean 2 people for sure and an implied pair.

Edited by Jedi

Game Of Thrones does well here in the States does it not?

And by massive you mean 2 people for sure and an implied pair.

Nintendo and HBO have pretty different audience targets to be fair.

Nintendo and HBO have pretty different audience targets to be fair.

Fair and I don't really like GoT that much but remember Nintendo did publish No more Heroes 1 & 2 and Bayonetta 2

Robin, it develops. Olivia...meh, but it still has more context.

Sigurd and Deidre is more believable then chrom/femrobin its not even funny.

Fair and I don't really like GoT that much but remember Nintendo did publish No more Heroes 1 & 2 and Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta 2 was still rated M which Genealogy would have to be rated since I highly doubt it could get away with a T.

And if you're currently riding the Fire Emblem train why take a risk on a game rated like that which could lose you money.

Also while you only have Diadora/Alvis confirmed and Lachesis/Eltoshan implied, you can still pair Sylvia/Claude who are implied siblings or Holyn/Ayra and then Lakche/Shakasher, or Lex/Ayra and Lakche/Jo Bro. There's the fact you can pair Brigid and Aideen's kids who would be half siblings due to their mothers being twins. And I feel like a 4 remake would somehow include a 5 remake too and Nanna/Leaf were basically raised like siblings or you could do Nanna/Aless who are cousins.

Like there's so many possible incestuous pairings you can't really do the Lucina/Owain thing and just slightly rename it I feel.

Bayonetta 2 was still rated M which Genealogy would have to be rated since I highly doubt it could get away with a T.

And if you're currently riding the Fire Emblem train why take a risk on a game rated like that which could lose you money.

Also while you only have Diadora/Alvis confirmed and Lachesis/Eltoshan implied, you can still pair Sylvia/Claude who are implied siblings or Holyn/Ayra and then Lakche/Shakasher, or Lex/Ayra and Lakche/Jo Bro. There's the fact you can pair Brigid and Aideen's kids who would be half siblings due to their mothers being twins. And I feel like a 4 remake would somehow include a 5 remake too and Nanna/Leaf were basically raised like siblings or you could do Nanna/Aless who are cousins.

Like there's so many possible incestuous pairings you can't really do the Lucina/Owain thing and just slightly rename it I feel.

Well Nintendo's pretty good at skating around things in localizations, not sure how they'd pull it off in Fe4, but maybe my comparisons were a tad silly. I knee jerked and I apologize lol, I however don't feel it would push the ratings up that much. It was in the Japanese rating system the same as our "E" rating is I'm not mistaken, now I know the ratings vary but I'm not sure if with some careful wording and maybe changing the non plot point pair that you could get away with it.

The rating system is kinda weird..

Never had a problem with that. The game knows it can't do a romance justice anyway, so it doesn't even try. I mean, if you gotta fall in love, get married, become pregnant, bear a child, get kidnapped and marry again in just 5 chapters, you have to mind your schedule.

But I would actually go as far as to say that I feel that it's actually quite appropriate anyway. I always associated the "love at first sight" trope with the kind of classical stories that Fire Emblem seems to be inspired by. So I personally think that it's just right that way.

Edited by BrightBow

Never had a problem with that. The game knows it can't do a romance justice anyway, so it doesn't even try. I mean, if you gotta fall in love, get married, become pregnant, bear a child, get kidnapped and marry again in just 5 chapters, you have to mind your schedule.

You got a RL chuckle out of me. Thanks for making my day~!

I assume that there's other meaningful interactions that happen off-screen (COUGHLACHESISANDDEWCOUGH), but the point of the story isn't how Sigurd and Deidre got married. Thus, even if I don't like how awkwardly rushed it feels, I can see why it was handled that way.

I mean, if you gotta fall in love, get married, become pregnant, bear a child, get kidnapped and marry again in just 5 chapters, you have to mind your schedule.

Lol best quote ever.

Yeah, a lot of old fairy tales have this sort of thing. But to me, if a story wants to be taken seriously it shouldn't do stuff like this.

You got a RL chuckle out of me. Thanks for making my day~!I assume that there's other meaningful interactions that happen off-screen (COUGHLACHESISANDDEWCOUGH), but the point of the story isn't how Sigurd and Deidre got married. Thus, even if I don't like how awkwardly rushed it feels, I can see why it was handled that way.

I agree with this, its skirted around because it isnt the main focus of the plot. Like say FF8 (regardless about peoples love or hate attitude about that game aside) part of the games focus is Squall truly maturing and getting rid of his more childhood assuming the way he acts is cool and adult. Riona plays a pretty significant role in that and their bonding is what ties parts of the plot together.

Make Arvis and Deirdre share an ancestor, and lock out any incesty 2nd gen cousin pairs, woo

Jealousy system. Have Seliph marry his half-sister.

I did think it was super cheesy actually, I was surprised because everyone praises this game's writing. Though I let it slide as this is an older game so story scenes are still pretty short compared to some of the later games, and there is a short time skip between when they meet and when they marry.

I do find it better than Chrom/Olivia because it's played up as a "star crossed lovers" kind of thing, whereas Olivia is just one of several options for Chrom and they don't speak at all before getting married.

Edited by Book Bro

Jealousy system. Have Seliph marry his half-sister.

That's an easily fixed glitch though.

I did think it was super cheesy actually, I was surprised because everyone praises this game's writing. Though I let it slide as this is an older game so story scenes are still pretty short compared to some of the later games, and there is a short time skip between when they meet and when they marry.

I do find it better than Chrom/Olivia because it's played up as a "star crossed lovers" kind of thing, whereas Olivia is just one of several options for Chrom and they don't speak at all before getting married.

There may be a short time skip, but they still talk about being destined to be together when they meet. Facepalm. Characters aren't supposed to know anything about the story's plot.

I find this almost equal to Chrom/Olivia, but even that gives some context. Chrom says something about a romance developing quickly and you get to read the supports in the support gallery. Whereas Sigurd/Deidre is just...there. Star crossed lovers or not, it's cheesy and unrealistic. But it is an old game...

Sigurd and Deirdre's romance may be cheesy, but it's really no worse than what had been seen in the series up to that point. All of the games prior to and the one after Genealogy had predetermined couples, and they generally did not get a whole lot of in-game development. Genealogy was the first to attempt such a system, so it's only natural that it's going to seem a bit rough compared to games that came later. You keep mentioning context, and that's a very important bit of context I think you're overlooking.