Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

BRSxIgnition

Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 'support' LGBT supports in "Fire Emblem: if"?

• Yes, I would like to see - or wouldn't mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"
    • No, I would not like to see - or would mind - LGBT characters in "Fire Emblem: If"

Honestly, the sexual orientation of a character should only be a plot point if there's romance or if it's important to the character in some way. And yes, this applies to heterosexual couples, too. If you add a character and just say he's gay or bisexual without it being important, it makes little sense and is pure pandering.

Also, when you add homosexuality, you need to take into account that it's not exactly what we as humans are "supposed" to be, biologically speaking, therefore there's going to be some stigma associated with it, unless the setting is extremely liberal. Chances are a medieval setting will be less tolerant of homosexuality. You must make a choice, and this choice must be believable.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to be LGBT to support it being implemented in a game.

I never said you did. But you do have to like those kinds of pairings to support it being in a game. Otherwise, that just makes no sense. I only like shipping straight pairings. Thus, why would I enjoy LGBT relationships in a game?

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly, the sexual orientation of a character should only be a plot point if there's romance or if it's important to the character in some way. And yes, this applies to heterosexual couples, too. If you add a character and just say he's gay or bisexual without it being important, it makes little sense and is pure pandering.

Also, when you add homosexuality, you need to take into account that it's not exactly what we as humans are "supposed" to be, biologically speaking, therefore there's going to be some stigma associated with it, unless the setting is extremely liberal. Chances are a medieval setting will be less tolerant of homosexuality. You must make a choice, and this choice must be believable.

exactly, let me go back to arcade gannon

there's exactly two or three lines that state his sexuality, which he's pretty open about, it also allows you to recruit him if your character has the "confirmed bachelor" perk which gives your male character access to gay dialog and a bonus damage vs males, there's alot of ways to recruit him (having a very high speech stat, being mentally retarded (3 INT) come to mind) but being gay is the easiest way to get him, thus it has a purpose.

I never said you did. But you do have to like those kinds of pairings to support it being in a game. Otherwise, that just makes no sense. I only like shipping straight pairings. Thus, why would I enjoy LGBT relationships in a game?

My point came across wrong, I apologize.

What I meant is that even if it doesn't affect you, you should support it because it will mean a lot for people who do want it.

If it doesn't bother you, then why stop it from reaching people who want it?

I don't have too much of an opinion, but I slightly lean towards only straight. Pretty much what Ana said. It's not that I have a problem with LGBT people, I would just prefer not to have those kinds of supports in this game. But it won't be the end of the world for me if they are present.

My point came across wrong, I apologize.

What I meant is that even if it doesn't affect you, you should support it because it will mean a lot for people who do want it.

If it doesn't bother you, then why stop it from reaching people who want it?

i don't think you understand what being "neutral" is

ana is being completely neutral by not supporting it or condemning it, its her opinion and she has the right to it.

All in all, I will welcome LBGT characters, should they be written like real human beings.

This, please and thank you. I might just cry if we get a Vincent/Victor duo in this game.

I understand that marriage or romance isn't the central focus of this game, but I don't think it would hurt to add one LGBT playable character, even if their sexuality is just hinted at.

Although, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any realistic LGBT characters in FE:if at the end, but I would personally be somewhat disappointed as a lesbian girl. at least let me marry Rinka or Aqua...

i don't think you understand what being "neutral" is

ana is being completely neutral by not supporting it or condemning it, its her opinion and she has the right to it.

I perfectly understand what being neutral means - I find you saying that to be rather insulting.

Regardless, if it doesn't effect a person, being neutral is a fine option. It does nothing for either side.

The only thing that bothers me is that far too often, being neutral could be synonymous with choosing the side of the oppressor/default, rather than actually being neutral and not supporting anyone.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

This, please and thank you. I might just cry if we get a Vincent/Victor duo in this game.

I understand that marriage or romance isn't the central focus of this game, but I don't think it would hurt to add one LGBT playable character, even if their sexuality is just hinted at.

Although, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any realistic LGBT characters in FE:if at the end, but I would personally be somewhat disappointed as a lesbian girl. at least let me marry Rinka or Aqua...

This.

Also, I'm not getting my hopes up either, but Nintendo did promise they'd be more inclusive, so there's a sliver of a chance.

Mmmmmm Rinka.

Edited by BRSxIgnition

I don't have too much of an opinion, but I slightly lean towards only straight. Pretty much what Ana said. It's not that I have a problem with LGBT people, I would just prefer not to have those kinds of supports in this game. But it won't be the end of the world for me if they are present.

Pretty much this. I'm also the same as Awakener and am more fine with lesbian pairings than I am with gay ones. Don't know why, really...

"I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist"

If you're quoting me...you totally missed the point. Again, I have NO problem whatsoever with gay people. Now, that's not to say that I enjoy gay pairings and the like. If people want it and it's in the game, good for them. As for me, I don't care too much, I just would personally lean a little bit towards not having them. Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I perfectly understand what being neutral means - I find you saying that to be rather insulting.

Regardless, if it doesn't effect a person, being neutral is a fine option. It does nothing for either side.

The only thing that bothers me is that far too often, being neutral could be synonymous with choosing the side of the oppressor/default., rather than actually being neutral and not supporting anyone.

looks like OP has a very nice understanding

"I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist"

i love you

Edited by Chrosion

I feel shoehorning a non lgbt character to be one is pretty lame.

Just make a solid good character who happens to be lgbt.

Though then I'm faced with, MU can have his pick of (thus far lady) characters, so why not throw guys in there too? Which is fine.

But, having a specifically gay character, as a REAL character, would be interesting.

Honestly in the whole support it or not controversy I really don't give a fuck.

If you're gonna do a specific character, do them well. That's all.

This, but I don't like the idea of just hinting at it as it will cause massive debates on if they're gay or not.

And this all the way.

Your sentence is in quotations, so I am not sure if you are being serious or not.

If you are serious, I'll respectfully disagree. Don't worry, I am not going to go on an "I'm offended, I'm such a victim of my homophobic society!" rant. I'm not that type of person, nor do I think it's constructive getting angry and shutting down someone else's belief.

However, I believe it's wrong pretending gay people don't exist. They make up a portion of society and have played integral roles in modern society. Many powerful men, like Tim Cook, are gay. Gay men were important in history too. Look at Michelangelo, Da Vinci, etc. They were homosexuals that assisted the human race's development both culturally and scientifically. Ignoring homosexuals is hurtful. Being around a gay person isn't going to infect you with a gayness disease, haha.

I absolutely don't want to incite a flame war, nor do I want to sound like a typical, hyper-reactive SJW. It's just important to challenge other people's beliefs. That way, there can be discourse and enlightenment for both parties. Make sense?

EDIT: GAH, he was quoting another member...

EDIT 2: I am not implying, with regards to FE: IF, that straight people HAVE to experience gay supports. They have every right to ignore it. My post is just critiquing an attitude about homosexuality in a broader sense.

Edited by Leif

Yes, I support it.

And I'd like to add for whomever it may apply to: you need not be personally interested in LGBT pairs to support their inclusion. Basically, if you think those options should exist for the people who do want them, then even if you don't personally care, it could be said that you support it.

Yes, I support it.

And I'd like to add for whomever it may apply to: you need not be personally interested in LGBT pairs to support their inclusion. Basically, if you think those options should exist for the people who do want them, then even if you don't personally care, it could be said that you support it.

Very true. Wise words. I wish I could be this concise.

Edited by Leif

I never said you did. But you do have to like those kinds of pairings to support it being in a game Otherwise, that just makes no sense. I only like shipping straight pairings. Thus, why would I enjoy LGBT relationships in a game?

That is completely untrue, I for one only really support canon(or might as well be canon) parings so the vast majority of the pairings i like are hetro because of the amount of it that is in media. And not that many characters from media i enjoy, have multiple canon pairings that involve both genders, if at all. So if a character is paired in canon with a character of the same gender that is fine with me. But i don't have any real hard feelings on wether i like a type of pairing more as for canon pairing purposes i don't see any real difference. And quite frankly i dislike most fandoms non-canon slash pairings (but mainly only the bad slash fan-fiction) But i do support LGBT pairings as i believe LGBT people should be represented in Media (if it is not offensively done) for a number of reasons. So yeah i do not like most non-canon same sex ships, that doesn't mean i don't or can't support LGBT relationships in Media including FE:if.

Edited by goodperson707

Your sentence is in quotations, so I am not sure if you are being serious or not.

If you are serious, I'll respectfully disagree. Don't worry, I am not going to go on an "I'm offended, I'm such a victim of my homophobic society!" rant. I'm not that type of person, nor do I think it's constructive getting angry and shutting down someone else's belief.

However, I believe it's wrong pretending gay people don't exist. They make up a portion of society and have played integral roles in modern society. Many powerful men, like Tim Cook, are gay. Gay men were important in history too. Look at Michelangelo, Da Vinci, etc. They were homosexuals that assisted the human race's development both culturally and scientifically. Ignoring homosexuals is hurtful. Being around a gay person isn't going to infect you with a gayness disease, haha.

I absolutely don't want to incite a flame war, nor do I want to sound like a typical, hyper-reactive SJW. It's just important to challenge other people's beliefs. That way, there can be discourse and enlightenment for both parties. Make sense?

EDIT: GAH, he was quoting another member...

EDIT 2: I am not implying, with regards to FE: IF, that straight people HAVE to experience gay supports. They have every right to ignore it. My post is just critiquing an attitude about homosexuality in a broader sense.

He was quoting me and TOTALLY misinterpreting what I said. I'm fairly certain he was trying to start a flame war himself. Anyway, good post.

I don't have a problem with lgbt people, I just don't want to have to see them or acknowledge they exist.

Without the quotas!

Also note I don't understand acknowledge as in accept they exist, but as in appreciate...

Pls hold back your salt, as 1. do not care and 2. do not want to waste time on this endless debate.