Muslim style Nation

Bagfisch

Sounds like an interesting idea, I would love to see a Middle Eastern themed country. It would be a fresh take compared to the usual European setting and Hoshido's Japanese feel in the upcoming game.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the class ideas posted a bit back (pg. 3?), i do think the cavalier revamp speaks more to the nomad/nomad trooper line? and i haven't heard of a class having three promotions (if that's not what it is, my apologies). that being said, i can see cavalier and a class similar to elibe nomad having a shared promotion.

also, i take it the "ameer" class would be the "lord" class? if so, i do think that more than two weapons for an unpromoted class is a bit much.

for the swimming swordmaster, rather than having that as an innate class skill, perhaps they just gain the "acrobat" skill (or a variant)? if i remember correctly, gangrel could move around on some water with that skill, and it would keep the walking on water skill a uniquely pirate class trait if it was in the game- for those who have never handled a pirate class, i'm saying this largely because pirate is an unpromoted class, and swordmaster is promoted.

i do like the sound of the added terrain bonus for the assassins, but i am curious as how the poison would be handled. if that was the case, it's likely that it would have a low use limit due to its status affect thing, or that it would have a serious nerf thrown to it.

as for the faris al rakh, would there only be one promotion? i don't mind either way, just curious.

anyways, yeah. i do really like the ideas, i'd love to see more!

Thanks for the feedback, highly appreciated;

let me make it clearer I'd guess:

You have:

Jundei (Soldier) : Lance

Promotes to

Samhar (trans: is the name of a great lancer in Arabian history he/she is a reference for Lancesman Ship you can he is Lance Saint)

(Halberdier): Lances,Axes

and

Ghazi (trans: Conqueror) (Great Knight/General): This unit has the ability to go on Horseback and on foot, weapons change depened on that, where Horseback he becomes like a Great Knight using only Lances and Axes, but once he is on foot he can use Swords/Lances/Axes.

Fares (trans: Knight) (Cavalier) : This unit is basically regular Cavalier where he uses Lances on horse, Bows on foot

Promotes to:

Khay'yal (Trans: Horseman) (Ranger): This unit is basically Nomad trooper weapons Lances and Bows can't go on foot.

and
Fat'tih (trans: crude meaning is Opener but the true meaning the Opener of the way to Enlightenment) (Paladin) : A normal Paladin, weapon Lances/Swords can go on foot to but the weapon set would Bows/Swords.

Say'yaf (Trans: Swordsman) (Myrmidon): Swords on foot.

Promotes to:

Hashash (Trans: Assassin) : Sword and Hidden weapon (Poison Daggers) Terrain advantage on desert

and

Ameer Al Behaar (Trans: Prince of Seas) (Pirate Swordmaster): Swords only on land but on water he gets to travel on his own ship the ship will be like a Horse basically.

Sah'ham (Trans:Bowman) (Archer) : Bows

Promotes to :

Qannas (Trans: Sniper) (Sniper) : Bows on desert terrain gets to have 2-3 range on all his bows and 2-4 on Longbows

and

Khay'yal (Trans: Horseman) (Ranger): This unit is basically Nomad trooper weapons Lances and Bows can't go on foot.

Sah'her (Trans:Magician) (Mage) : Scrolls

Promotes to:

Ar'raf (Trans: Fortune Teller) (Sage): Scrolls offensive Magic/ Scriptures Healing Magic

Mosha'weth (Trans: Necromancer) (Druid): Dark Scrolls/Hidden Weapon (Djin)

Moqat'tel (trans: Fighter) (Fighter) : Weapon Axes

Promotes to :

Mohareb (trans: Warrior) (Warrior): Axes and Bows

and

Bassel (trans: it's one of the many names of the Lion and it's refers to Courage and Bravery) (Hero): Swords/Axes

Meghuar (trans:Brave and reckless who begins fights) (Mercenary): Swords

Promotes to:

Bassel (trans: it's one of the many names of the Lion and it's refers to Courage and Bravery) (Hero): Swords/Axes

and
Saq'qar (trans: Falconer) : Weapons Swords/Hidden Weapon (Falcons)
So'louk (Theif) : Weapons Poetry (dancers and bards)/Hidden weapon (Dagger)
promotes to:
Hashash (Trans: Assassin) : Sword and Hidden weapon (Poison Daggers) Terrain advantage on desert

and

Sarab (trans: Mirage): Hidden weapon (Daggers) in the desert every 3 turns he can create 1 clone to divert the enemy.

Fares Al Rakh (trans: Roc Knight): Standalone unit can raise to level 40, weapons Swords/Bows

Ameer (trans: Prince) (Lord unit): Swords only Charisma

Promotes to:

Ameer Al Omara'a (trans: Prince or Princes): Swords/Hidden weapon Falcons/Bows

Raheb/Raheba (trans: Priest) (Priest/Cleric): Scripture to heal

Promotes to:

Asqaf (trans: Bishop) (Bishop) : Scripture to heal and can utilize it as weapon too.

or

Ar'raf (Trans: Fortune Teller) (Sage): Scrolls offensive Magic/ Scriptures Healing Magic

This the updated one...hopefully you like it.

Thanks for the feedback, highly appreciated;

let me make it clearer I'd guess:

(clipped for length)

yeah, this is great! thanks for rewriting it and all that, i really appreciate it. :-)

i am a fan of the dismounting idea in order to use a different weapon. i do know that it was in a previous game, but i've never played that one before, haha.

Edited by falcoknights

That is a good point, but I don't think Jehanna was really meant to be the Middle East. Remember, even in that game, Joshua's default weapon is a Killer Sword, while Marisa of all people has a Shamshir. Even the Sacred Twin Audhulma, while it sounds Middle Eastern to many of us Americans, is actually a corrupted romanization of the Norse Auðumbla, a cow of ice.

Every FE that I can think of had a Killing Edge - it's part of the high-crit Killer family. The GBA games had That One Other Sword With A Bit More Crit For Swordmasters. In Elibe's case, it was the Wo Dao. . .and oddly enough, all playable the myrmidons/swordmasters had some Sacaean blood in them (or whatever the hell Karel/Karla descended from). Sacae seems to be patterned around China/Mongolia, so that sword name fits. In Magvel's case, it's the Shamsir. Furthermore, Jehanna's in the middle of a desert, and ruled by a woman (and weren't Arabian women a bit more progressive than most during that time?). Joshua ran away a decade ago, and if he didn't want to be associated with his old home, I think it would be logical that he wouldn't carry around a Shamshir.

As for the sacred weapons, I think the non-lord ones not named Excalibur are Norse (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive Garm and Slepneir are). Pretty sure IS would rather preserve the overarching naming scheme of such important relics, rather than having the individual countries name them!

IMO, it's probably a very loose theme, similar to what Sacae is.

"Hello, you are watching FOX NEWS! Today, we shall once again blatantly overinflated the facts in our quest to provide the best argument for censorship in history! Now, lets talk about the video game that lets you play as Nazi ISIS gays!"

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone aside from some stupid rednecks will think that.

You forgot communist, you're banned :P:

Do NOT underestimate the opinions of the conservative crowd. . .or their size. Then again, if they're playing a game with magic in it. . .(I may or may not have talked to someone with these views, and may or may not have mentally facepalmed at the notion)

That's way too long to quote. If you're serious about this, you can put the details in a publicly-viewable Google doc (or something), and link it in your sig.

Not to be the downer of the group, but does everyone realize that using Middle Eastern influences would be bad for the American market right now?

"They put terrorists in my game! I'll never buy from Nintendo again!"

Not saying that it's logical, but it would happen. There would be an uproar.

In a world where Prince of Persia is a thing, I think that's EXTREMELY unlikely.

Not to be the downer of the group, but does everyone realize that using Middle Eastern influences would be bad for the American market right now?

"They put terrorists in my game! I'll never buy from Nintendo again!"

Not saying that it's logical, but it would happen. There would be an uproar.

Do NOT underestimate the opinions of the conservative crowd. . .or their size. Then again, if they're playing a game with magic in it. . .(I may or may not have talked to someone with these views, and may or may not have mentally facepalmed at the notion)

I don't like to get into political discussion so this is all I'll say about it.

I can assure you coming from one who considers themselves a conservative/libertarian. I'd still play it and probably enjoy it because at the end of the day its still Fire Emblem made by IS and that's all that matters. Oh and the quality of the game part too.

^ enh you don't need to have different classes and in-game style to be a distinct culture. Sacae for example seemed pretty distinct to me. Sacae even had their own semi exclusive classes, and dark mage/sorcerer seemed pretty distinctly plegian to me.

^ enh you don't need to have different classes and in-game style to be a distinct culture. Sacae for example seemed pretty distinct to me. Sacae even had their own semi exclusive classes, and dark mage/sorcerer seemed pretty distinctly plegian to me.

Yeah but to bring up a fair point as well Awakening didn't exactly do a bang up job of world building either. Also while the starting dark mages were from Plegia nothing prevented other characters from becoming them. Not like with what we are seeing in If with exclusive classes to each side.

Edited by LordTaco42

In a world where Prince of Persia is a thing, I think that's EXTREMELY unlikely.

Prince of Persia was released WELL before ISIS showed up.

Plegia wasn't one?

I don't think every country that has a desert is one, or Arcadia (from FE6/7) and Khadein (Archanea) would count! I think the closest tie the latter has to the Middle East is the fact that people went to some place in the middle of the desert specifically to study.

I don't think every country that has a desert is one, or Arcadia (from FE6/7) and Khadein (Archanea) would count! I think the closest tie the latter has to the Middle East is the fact that people went to some place in the middle of the desert specifically to study.

Thing is that the setting is much more European, hell it's hard to pin-point exactly where in Europe fire emblem is based. Hoshido here is the only direct reference to a country we've seen in FE and even then it's feudal japan, which is anime as all fuck more than anything else. Besides It's probably better of this way because thanks to the crusades and overall medieval history it's hard to implement Muslim culture as anything less than villains, which might cause big ruckus.

Edited by Neofranky

Yeah but they released PoP games and even a Disney produced movie after 9/11. If that didn't put a stop to ME themed media, ISIS has no chance.

I can assure you coming from one who considers themselves a conservative/libertarian. I'd still play it and probably enjoy it because at the end of the day its still Fire Emblem made by IS and that's all that matters. Oh and the quality of the game part too.

As somebody who does have a conservative bent, I never got the disconect between the enjoyment of fantasy fiction and it.

Plegia wasn't one?

The Plegia seemed to have an evil Ancient Egypt vibe

thing is that Setting is much more European, hell it's hard to pin-point exactly where in Europe fire emblem is based. Hoshido here is the only direct reference to a country we've seen in FE and even then it's feudal japan which is anime as all fuck more than anything else. Besides It's probably better of this way because thanks to the crusades and overall medieval history it's hard to implement Muslim culture as anything less than villi ans, which might cause big ruckus.

Or just solve the problem by making them morally ambiguous like Hoshido and Nohr.

As somebody who does have a conservative bent, I never got the disconnect between the enjoyment of fantasy fiction and it.

Personally I've never really seen it or been exposed to it myself but I guess its out there. Somewhere.

Edited by LordTaco42

Or just solve the problem by making them morally ambiguous like Hoshido and Nohr.

Easier said than done, the only reason Nohr is morally ambiguous now is because it's a path to choose, and even then it's clearly the more "evil" path. Chances are that in the Nohr path you're gonna have to change the way it's ruled or, in the worst cases, attempt to stop the invasion of Hoshido. I hope the latter doesn't happen.

I'm also thinking that there's more to Hoshido than we are being let on. Like some dark secret or motive to getting Kamui back. Something we are not told till the end. IS is probably keeping it a secret to keep people interested but thats part of my incentive to try it and I wouldn't say its more "evil" as it seems you choose the people you were raised with and they stay loyal to you even when

Garon orders Kamui to be executed/tortured regardless (seen in the new FE if trailer)

So there are ways to do it creatively and I genuinely think that IS is making the story in If a priority.

Edited by LordTaco42

Yeah but to bring up a fair point as well Awakening didn't exactly do a bang up job of world building either. Also while the starting dark mages were from Plegia nothing prevented other characters from becoming them. Not like with what we are seeing in If with exclusive classes to each side.

If the elibe games had reclassing i don't think the designers would shy away from making a charecter a myrmidon, they kind of already did with Loyld, honestly if they weren't getting used to the 3ds hardware, i think they might of added a nonpelgian dark-mage model, kinda like what they did with Loyld. Plus the design still looks pelgian to me (can't quite pin a irl equivalent though) it is just that everyone in the class does too. Anyway my point is you can still have a distinct culture without going to FE:if's lengths, not that i mind that they are of course i think it's awesome.

Yeah i agree, though certain classes in the other games did have a fair bit of personality fleshed out, some more than others i admit. But i welcome that the 3ds adds the opportunity to get more personality and Character out of of the models, if the i had to name a flaw of the simple armour designs of the tellius games i would say that it was the simple armour designs. They worked for me don't get me wrong, but they had the opportunity to take advantage of detailed battle models and to me they kinda took the safe route. Say what you will about awakening, but i don't think other games had tankards as part of their class designs. God i wish we had a playable barbarian.

So? What does that matter? :)

Yeah, I guess so. Its just that Persia adopted much of its culture through assimilation by the Arabs, so ancient Persia doesn't really feel Middle Eastern, unlike the Arabs and Ottomans.

While Plegia really did have that whole "exotic Middle East/ ancient Egypt" vibe going on it didn't really translate well into the map other than the desertic parts, I think; and there was too much focus on having certain Plegian characters like Tharja and Validar really look all "evil sorcerer/ otherworldly" with the gold and sandals and...weird bits of body that they chose to expose (I'm not a fan of her bodysuit and bikini nor do I like the whole pecs and abs window they gave Validar), but not for other Plegian characters...Aversa looks more like a generic dark mage with a revealing costume and high heels than she does "Plegian," and Henry's outfit looks more European to me, complete with that possibly Elizabethan ruff thing. Even the Plegian enemy npcs, except for the dark sorcerers.

And as for a Middle Eastern influence for future games? Besides the whole thing about Persia and the Abbassids and whatnot, I think the costumes of other groups, like Kurds, Palestinians, and Jews (I especially like the ephod for a priest class, as well as what Yemenite Jewish brides wear) could translate really well into a fantasy game. Plus they look really cool.

Since we have Hoshido as Japanese/Asian style nation and Nohr as western style Nation. I have thought up the concept of another huge faction. Of course not in this game. Muslim style units like Arabs or even Ottomans would use shamshirs as swords and ride camels for mounted units, maybe even elephant-like creatures. Maybe even introduce firearms into the series.

What do you think? Is it something that would be possible in future FE games since I'm pretty sure IS won't just throw away all those Japanese weapons after If. Do you have your own ideas?

Elephant riders would be awesome, but overpowered. It's way harder to kill an elephant rider than it is to kill a horse rider.