The Vanguard of Cheviel - Mercenary RP Interest Thread

Rapier

raiper? lol

Snowy is speculating so much about how I am going to let a meteor fall on the party's head at any given time, that he's mixing my nick with reaper. Freud explains.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this, and I agree that starting with deaths could be a bit too harsh for the beginning. -If- I decide to go with stats, I might give exceptions in the start and make the characters become injured instead. Then, after the players become used to the tone and to the system, I'd allow deaths. I also think of allowing remakes for characters who died, and recycling part of their stats.

But I'm being more and more inclined to take death away, make a statless RP and allow players to roleplay their characters' injuries or moments where they are that close to being killed, in order to develop their characters. I think I should go for the simplest solution for my debut, trying to develop complex stuff at my first time increases the chances of everything going wrong.

I think the latter method still manages to retain part of the dynamic I wanted to have in the RP. Depending on how I develop the missions, players will have to decide how they will approach them. Certain approaches lead to bad things happening. Other approaches are optimal, lead to the least [NPC] casualties and overall increase in fame. For example, let us suppose a scenario where Generic Bandits take a couple of hostages to their Hideout of Evil and the villagers contract the mercenary band to rescue them. Players could either choose to storm the hideout from the entrance like Leeroy Jenkins, alarming the guards and getting the hostages killed because their actions pissed off the bandits; or they could attempt to do stuff stealthily like Solid Snake, save the civilians, leave the hideout before they are discovered (or, in the off-chance they are discovered, leave before they are overwhelmed) and get to safety.

It seems the method above makes both my life easier, increases the chances of the RP not becoming too complicated or falling short of expectations regarding stats, and maintain the choices and consequences mood. But I'll need to make the outcomes as logically plausible as they can, so that player actions aren't punished merely because of some ambiguous thing I thought, but because they missed something that is very plausible to most people, like the aforementioned case.

but if there are going to be challenging things, i don't trust people on sf to be able to write them out properly without stats. stats are a limit, a confine that stops people from godmodding, accidentally or on purpose

If a player godmods, I'll give them a warn and change the outcome a bit, so to fit the RP. If they do it again, I'm taking them out. I'm not a very nice guy. =P

Edited by Rapier

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right. I'm still on the fence about statless RPs, mostly because of what I have seen of them recently and in the past, but you're the GM, so it's your bed to make, so to speak, lol.

Glad you cleared that all up.

I totally want this to happen. I want to have a small personal group of mercs do missions and grow to become friends. Then Gigantus the Skullcrusher shows up, shows every member why he's called Skullcrusher, and ends the RP in a blaze of glory. At the end, a little kid holds up one of the fallen merc's helmet and vows to continue their legacy. A sequel RP takes place a decade or two later.

This sounds awful! I like it.

Eh, but to do this, we need relatively equal footing for both enemies and players. But then we'd need stats. Whatevs, you're the one callin' the shots around here, Rapier. We just follow through with the plan... or something like that.

i almost feel intrigued to join this, since id assume we would take down brigands a majority of the time.... tho i feel i should wait till a full idea of how this roleplay would go before decideing to join.

So, other than still needing to find names for places, I have the worldbuilding set and a sign-up sheeit ready.

--

The Setting

Our story unravels in a medium sized continent, where the Empire of Astirania stretches from the center to the western inches of the land, including most of the nearby islands where the inhabitants were unlucky enough to live close to an expanding superpower. Or ex-superpower, since nowadays it is more centered around internal affairs and quarreling nobles. From the foundation of Astirania to its current days, the vassals managed to make enough pressure to lower the crown's authority to a bare minimum, where it is now safe to say that the Emperor's title is but a honorary one, recognized and valued as a strong polictical figure within the Empire and as its rightful representant in internal and foreign affairs, but not able to intervene in other nobles' properties by law. Some argue that the Emperor became a puppet in the hands of the most influent Kings within the Empire, those being the ones who actually rule. An imperialist political movement is slowly gaining support and strength...

Yet, for better or for worse, our group lies very far from the political conflict brewing in the Empire. In the western archipelago is the Kingdom of Cheviel, currently vassal of Astirania, where the nobles' quarrels leagues from their soil are eclipsed by their own problems. With the untimely death of the King, a young and naive successor heir rising to the throne, and nobles all too happy to influence the new ruler to complying with their own agendas, the kingdom slowly started to weaken itself from the inside. Banditry scaled, invaders from other islands have been successful in breaking past the borders and pillaging, and the adjacent kingdom from the mainland has been increasing their ranks as of late, its eyes set on an easy prey.

To address these issues, mercenary groups have been sprouting in the five islands that compose the archipelago, seeking to attend the increasing demand of capable warriors to secure the people and maintain order. You are one of these warriors, someone who was influenced to join a pioneer group of mercenaries for a reason. It is in Maeine, the southern and most trouble-ridden island in the Chevielan archipelago, that a small, experienced group of warriors, decided to settle in and found their own company. And they are hiring.

(I'll expand the setting if I see this RP has a chance of starting and being something decent, including descriptions of the islands and such.

If there is anything missing that you'd like to see, or any information about the setting that you need, ask me and I'll clarify. I'm also open to suggestions, as I know there are good writers around).

The Sign-Up Sheet

Name: ( )

Age: (No child soldiers allowed. I'm only accepting ages of 16 and above)

Appearance: (Images are acceptable, but I require at least two lines explaining how your character looks, in any case)

Personality: (I'll accept if you want to summarize and leave the rest to show in the RP, but I require at least two lines expounding on this)

Skills: (What your character is good at. Multiple skills allowed, of course. Is (s)he the best cook in the village he came from? Is (s)he the best swimmer, runner or hunter? Is (s)he decent at the forge or at tailoring? How well does (s)he fare with a weapon? Veteran combatants are forbidden. This has nothing to do with FE skills)

Gear: (What your character carries)

Bio: (Your character's story, the events that made them what they are today, as well as their reason for joining the group)

I will, if it becomes an issue. The sign-up sheet is in the opening post as well, so people who are reading this topic won't be lost in the discussion.

Also, although I won't be participating as much as the players, I'll roleplay as the veterans who founded the group. They'll be here mostly for guiding and building up the scenario, but the highlights will stay on the player characters.

Edited by Rapier

What about non-human races? Laguz-esque things? Manaketes? Dwarves? Gnomes? Elves? Pixies?

A gnomish pegasus knight, while impractical, would be so cute!

I confess I didn't think about this.

No, I'm sticking with humans only, sorry. =P

Technology level? :P Obviously no tanks, but how close are they to discovering gun powder?

EDIT: I ask because flintlocks are awesome even if insanely impractical.

Edited by Crysta

I actually once though of how firearms would work in an FE game. The best idea I had was a weapon which did insane damage but could only be used to attack.

So, it's a fine setting, but I must ask: Are you any closer to having a name?

Technology level? :P Obviously no tanks, but how close are they to discovering gun powder?

EDIT: I ask because flintlocks are awesome even if insanely impractical.

Ye Olde Days. No gunpowder.

Also, I have a couple of names in my head already, but I can't decide which should be put.

I don't think 'tech level' is a valid description for a fantasy game. Fire Emblem may still be using swords, but they also have a health-care system that trumps 99% of hospitals confined within a tiny staff and a trained airforce despite their comparatively 'low' tech.

can it be something that is developed over the course of the RP, because flintlocks are amazingly cool, even if entirely inefficient?

No.

Wait, so...I could do a weapon completely atypical for Fire Emblem, couldn't I? Not like a fancy form of a sword, but if I wanted to use, say, a ball and chain?

If you can somehow make it usable, I guess so.

If you can somehow make it usable, I guess so.

And...what if I wanted to use an atypical type of magic? Like...one that makes plants grow, I guess, though magic in FE admittedly doesn't use actual matter to much to my memory, mostly energy with the exception of dark magic, which still doesn't seem to use matter. Sound magic top tier. Not that I intend to use these things, but I would like to know the specific limits in case I have a specific idea for them, which I have not. I'll probably go with something far more standard.

Anything related to the four elements is acceptable. Magic that stops time or creates black holes aren't. Unless you are a certain character.

Edited by Rapier

can I have a scythe that changes into a sword that was totally a thing in Bloodborne right

or maybe an axe that turns into a BIGGER AXE

I'll see about throwing something or someone into this later maybe.