Same-Sex Marriage Confirmed

Kirokan

I find the problem to go further than IS just being incompetent at writing anything close to resembling good characters and relationships. The support in question halfassedly dwells on the taboo nature of their relationship (Tharja: "I wish I was a man so my attraction wasn't weird!") - doing this shifts the focus on homosexual relationships as opposed to the characters themselves and subsequently, predictably makes a mockery of it. As a result I find its inclusion to be detrimental to Nintendo's approach on equal representation as opposed to just not including it in the first place.

If the notTharjaxKamui support was in line with the typical S support from Awakening, I wouldn't have as much an issue with it. Instead, they make an effort to point out and dwell on the homosexual relationship.

As for the other relationship, this quote from a redditor sums up my thoughts:

"Wow, IS made the sadistic prison rapist the only gay option."

Edited by Constable Reggie

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm bummed out Azura isn't a option, and bummed the lesbian option seems 'iffy' at best, I'm happy none the less. It's a small shaky step, but a small shaky step in the right direction.

I'm represented in an IS game. Yes I would have liked for the options to be nicer, but it is better than being swept under the carpet as usual.

I find the problem to go further than IS just being incompetent at writing anything close to resembling good characters and relationships. The support in question halfassedly dwells on the taboo nature of their relationship (Tharja: "I wish I was a man so my attraction wasn't weird!") - doing this shifts the focus on homosexual relationships as opposed to the characters themselves and subsequently, predictably makes a mockery of it. As a result I find its inclusion to be detrimental to Nintendo's approach on equal representation as opposed to just not including it in the first place.

If the notTharjaxKamui support was in line with the typical S support from Awakening, I wouldn't have as much an issue with it. Instead, they make an effort to point out and dwell on the homosexual relationship.

If the support is somehow even worse then the one with Tharja...man, that's a scary thought.

Well, until I read that one I can't really comment more on that but do we know already if she is the only option available? From my understanding, she and Joker are merely the only ones confirmed so far.

Edited by BrightBow

If the support is somehow even worse then the one with Tharja...man, that's a scary thought.

Well, until I read that one I can't really comment more on that but do we know already if she is the only option available? From my understanding, she and Joker are merely the only ones confirmed so far.

The whole femaui/Shara S support is up on the hype thread and I actually thought it was really sweet.

Here it is (spoilers, obviously):

Edited by EJ107

Soo I personally didn't find it too insulting. Yes the whole "If only I could be a man" thing was a weird, and implies that there is some form of taboo in this fantasy world.

On the other hand it was still sweet to me. It's still all about Femui and Shara being in love, without her acting like a creepy yandere stalker. This is an improvement over her original support line imo.

If Shara is a possible marriage option and considering what we know about Shara... doesn't that mean then that the children are actually part of the main campaign? I guess this tells us indirectly that we'll be using similar logic as the previous game.

Edited by Devola

Zero may be a creepy asshole but if you actually read his S support with male Kamui, he was really sweet and says he wants to protect Kamui and doesn't want to see him suffer.

It's also implied he had a, SUPRISE SUPRISE, NOBODY EXPECTED IT, dark past, and he is afraid male Kamui might reject him because of it.

It was a good support and I will marry him in a playthrough.

No hatin'.

Actually he does. For the character spoiler thread Eponne エポニーヌ

Zeros daughter. Though she is cool and collected with a good intellect, she also has dubious delusions.

eponne.png?w=545

How did he accomplish that?! Clearly she takes off her mother in the looks department.

Wow, really, now? That's unexpected. This whole subject was a rollercoaster: first skinship made it seem more likely then the children made it seem less likely but in the end, it is in.

I'm just a little sad they litterally chose the male character I like the least for the only option. Oh well, better than nothing.

I'm so happy this is happening! I wouldn't chosen Zero (I don't find him very sexy haha) but I'm so happy Shara is now a real option for people to marry! I obviously will and will marry Zero too!

I would chose one girl and one boy for each route, but it's okay :)

Congratulations Nintendo!!!!

Well, one option is better than none I suppose. Personally I was hoping for Jakob (I believe that's what Joker's name was localized as), but Zero isn't bad looking. Hopefully they won't play up the sadism that they mentioned for his character too much.

For all my grousing, and complaining though I am still really happy that same-sex marriages got in. Even if it does end up being Japan only.

A lot of people here said that they would want to see a gay option option even if it turns out to be horribly written, so we'll see if that is the case.

Edited by Tryhard

Well, one option is better than none I suppose. Personally I was hoping for Jakob (I believe that's what Joker's name was localized as), but Zero isn't bad looking. Hopefully they won't play up the sadism that they mentioned for his character too much.

For all my grousing, and complaining though I am still really happy that same-sex marriages got in. Even if it does end up being Japan only.

Nintendo of America would be idiots to exclude that feature over here. The whole Tomodatchi controversy started overseas not over there and if anything adding the marriage was more to please the West than the Japanese crowd. Plus if skinship, and gazing at people in tight swimsuits is allowed in the final product, that would really cause quite a backlash.

Also, just be careful guys. Like Tryhard said, representation is nice, but just keep an eye out onto how Shara and Zero pan out.

Edited by Raguna

Been lurking around for a bit, thought I would pop up and say hi!

And staying on topic, this is great news indeed! This is off to a great start, hopefully!

One more thing, does that mean that they will adopt a child together? Will the adopted child be playable?

Nintendo of America would be idiots to exclude that feature over here. The whole Tomodatchi controversy started overseas not over there and if anything adding the marriage was more to please the West than the Japanese crowd. Plus if skinship, and gazing at people in tight swimsuits is allowed in the final product, that would really cause quite a backlash.

Also, just be careful guys. Like Tryhard said, representation is nice, but just keep an eye out onto how Shara and Zero pan out.

I doubt they would be censored in the west, as it tends to be more open about things like this than Japan nowadays. And considering some of the other stuff in the game, particularly some of the S rank skinship lines... I think the censors have far more pressing concerns than Zero and Shara.

The S rank supports for both have already been leaked and linked in other threads and they are pretty harmless and sweet, so I think they did an OK job.

Edited by EJ107

One more thing, does that mean that they will adopt a child together? Will the adopted child be playable?

Apparently the epilogues mention that they adopt children together but they don't appear in the actual game like the other children.

Edited by EJ107

I really hope the localization team cuts the, "I wish I was a man so my attraction wasn't weird," and "B-but I'm a guy!" lines. That seems to be the norm in the Japanese portrayal of homosexuality-- characters can be gay, but only if the express extreme discomfort (otherwise it would just be too gay).

That said, my MaleKamui is going to marry the heck out of Zero.

On the one hand 'Yay representation', but on the other hand, why do the gay options have to be the two most psychotic cast members? :/ Hopefully we'll get sane options next time.

Pretty much my feelings.

I'm not going for Zero/Shara just because the option is there. Maybe I'm just shallow.

It really depends on what they're like to me. If they are creepy/insane, then it's ehhh to me.

Still, I'm glad representation exists. I wasn't expecting it at all.