Why do people barely complain about the really risque character designs?

Camilla

when fans complained about the story

By "fans" you mean SF, right? Because everywhere else the story got praise. It wasn't "OMG best story evar!!!!!!!" level but it was adequate.

Regarding Ophelia and Charlotte... Well Tharja was quite a bit more subtle, unsubtle as she was. But the series was never eroge, so these designs are a bit out of place. Nowi in Awakening, seemed "wrong", but FE is a series marketed primarily to the Japanese market, and they think this is normal, so what can we do...

As a straight man I can see past my cravings and acknowledge it's a bit, I wouldn't say wrong, but "awkward" to have these girls wear little, unless they were prostitutes, dancers or something like that (someone who uses her sexuality for a living). They look very pretty, though.

Cordelia was my favorite Awakening design. She does reveal her legs, but it's in great taste. The rest of the design is almost flawless IMO. The armor is very streamlined, compared to the bulkier sets Sumia and Cynthia wear, and the color combination is pure win.

I say give the women a bit of fanservice, too, and embrace it.

Edited by Cerberus87

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To Ophelia and Charlotte defense, their male counterpart (generic one in the case of Charlotte since Harold is fully clothed) are not disproportionately wear more clothing. Dark mages are bare chested, and wear speedos while fighter show offs their booty so often. Also these characters are side character, they don't have a CG where they appear jiggling their boobs. Despite that though, I still don't like design like this in general though make it equal to the male counterpart makes it easier for me to swallow it.

In complete fairness, Male Fighter (Harold aside) is also shit. I didn't like it in Awakening, I don't like it now and I think they got even worse now, since at least they wore pants in FE13 but now they all got thongs and armor and thongs really don't mix. I even tried to do a design of generic female fighter for FEA before and never came up with something that both fit the class design and fits my personal standards of design because the base design is just so bad.

Like, who the fuck thought it was ever a good idea. Why.

Edited by Thor Odinson

...Some days I question myself if I'm really just stuck in an endless time loop.

Explanation, please. Don't keep us guessing.

The poor design choices are bad for both genders. I don't care if both genders have fanservice, I'd prefer if it was toned down - or even better, just not there.

I'm not going to say all Awakening and Fates character/class designs are shit, but quite a few of them are not good either. I agree with Lumi about the fighters, for example, they're just terrible in general. Boyd, Nolan, and every fighter before them (or at least the ones I know of) looked fine, so what happened? Honestly, I think the fighter design could look more like this:

0da33c3f78.png

While the top of the female gladiator still shows a bit of skin, it looks more visually similar to Rinka's sarashi, which I don't hear as much complaints about in the first place. Both classes wield maces (closest equivalent to axes) and are described as warriors, so they fit the "fighter" archetype as well. Personally, I feel that FE character/class design could take notes from Etrian Odyssey character designs.

My point is that some character designs are spot on and others fell horribly flat, but people are going to complain about what they actually see. For example, I've been purposely avoiding FE Amie character models, so I had no idea Sophie and various other characters lacked pants. For my part, I'm most content to simply :facepalm: and move on.

In complete fairness, Male Fighter (Harold aside) is also shit. I didn't like it in Awakening, I don't like it now and I think they got even worse now, since at least they wore pants in FE13 but now they all got thongs and armor and thongs really don't mix. I even tried to do a design of generic female fighter for FEA before and never came up with something that both fit the class design and fits my personal standards of design because the base design is just so bad.

Like, who the fuck thought it was ever a good idea. Why.

I think you're on to something! Why is Harold's design so glorious and Charlotte's so hated? It's the cape! Charlotte needs a cape!

Yeah, I've actually seen some pretty good designs

like Belka and Gunther and Marx and maybe even Kazahana or Luna (haven't seen fullbody for either of them)?

But then we get Charlotte, Camilla, and arguably the Dark Mages and I just... question why some of them are radical and the others are just dumb. It's weird.

I'm gonna try to stop complaining from now on since the game is finalized and I know it's not gonna change anything anyway.

Btw, you can tell Charlotte waxes/shaves because pubes are supposed to be at the bit of her pubic region you can see.

Every FE characters shave, except Nolan and Hector.

But Charlotte design is strange....

Edited by Naughx

Yeah, I've actually seen some pretty good designs

like Belka and Gunther and Marx and maybe even Kazahana or Luna (haven't seen fullbody for either of them)?

there's their battle models and both are pretty solid. IMO Mercenary in general is one of the best designs as a class as a whole in this game.

Edited by Thor Odinson

People have been talking a lot about Charlotte. Even I noticed that and I wasn't keeping up with the new names and designs.

As for me personally, I couldn't have said anything about them since I hadn't seen them yet. And considering how Camilla looked, I was not exactly overly enthusiastic to stay up to date in that regard. Seeing those designs now, shows that they are pretty much what I was expecting.

Of course, it's natural that Camilla would get the most attention either way. After all, she is featured prominently on the cover and in the trailers.

I'm mostly in the same boat. I'd actually not been paying that much attention to a lot of newer information, and only just saw the full Charlotte design just today. It only generally reinforces my mentality to try to keep avoiding more information, since I just manage to keep being further and further dissapointed in ways I didn't think I could be.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah most people probably agree these designs are beyond silly. Nobody would ever wear these outfits. >_<

Honestly, considering people today, I wouldn't be suprised if they did. They just couldn't wear them modernly without getting arrested, and in FE without getting butchered.

Goodness I already disliked Charlotte's design, but I had no idea about her full body design until today. I also had no clue about Ophelia's full body design. There is no excuse for it at all. Along with that Ophelia looks like she is in her young/middle teenage years. And thank goodness for the redesigns. I wish Charlotte's redesign was in the game instead. I can only dream at this point since the games are complete.

Edited by Eevonee

Do we actually see the full body design in the Amie? I mean yeah it's weird they seem to not know what pants are in this world but it's also possible they didn't think anyone would actually see that far down.

That said the designs remind me a lot of something you'd see in an anime. That and the female designs seem to be pretty standard for video games. It's like they don't know what thigh chaffing is.

Though I'm going to be completely honest - I've seen bikinis/swimsuits marketed to teen/tweens that look a lot like the stuff the dark mages and Char wear. I do not miss being in that industry.

I laughed out loud once I noticed the (female?) general design. Like...really? A big hole to show off the buttocks? If there's one design people hated in Awakening it was definitely the general; here they just removed the stupid shoulderpads and added a literal ass hole.

Edited by Thane

I laughed out loud once I noticed the (female?) general design. Like...really? A big hole to show off the buttocks? If there's one design people hated in Awakening it was definitely the general; here they just removed the stupid shoulderpads and added a literal ass hole.

I'll defend pretty much any silly design, but that ass vent is just the worst.

Sucks 'cuz the top half of general actually looks pretty solid this time

and then you get to the bottom and it's like, rip

Heh, it definitely looks like something "ripped" alright.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

All of these designs are hilariously over the top and I love the reaction it gets out of most people. Welcome to anime hell.

Personally I love it and all the characters look great, practicality be damned.

^ I actually feel like there are plenty of moderate character designs (lazward Luna Benoit). It seems to me like there are enoughenough character s to have a team of all whacky or all reasonable designs, which is good forfor a mass appeal game like this.

Welcome to anime indeed. I have to laugh at the people saying that "there's no excuse for this", as if the designers have done something objectively wrong or committed some heinous crime by painting their vision exactly the way they wanted it to look. I get that tumblr latched onto Awakening pretty hardcore, but you're laying on the manufactured outrage a little thick.

I don't see why people are saying "welcome to anime" since there are so very many anime titles without any fanservice.

I think it's more appropriate to compare Fates to ecchi anime specifically.

It most certainly feels still unreal that this series would keep armoror the most part consistent between genders (by itself a rarity in fantasy) for 12 games, just to make a sudden turnaround and make even the likes of Dead or Alive look classy by comparison. Now, nothing quite beats finding your Avatar burning down thousands of people just so that the game can have yet another excuse to kiss your Avatar's ass, but it's still disappointing to see the series break with design aspects that one appreciated with such brutality.

Edited by BrightBow