Wondering, is swapping to a top tier really worth it? (Smash)

So I've come to the conclusion that Roy and Falcon are not enough to win tournaments. I tried out some top tiers and found that ZSS was legitimately fun, but I don't want people to think I'm a tier whore. What do you guys think? I've been thinking a decent amount about it.

The heck is wrong with Roy and Captain Falcon? Last I checked they were bangin' rushdown characters.

Anyway, the best option as per always is to play the characters you like. Personally I have stuck to my guns with Yoshi, Charizard, and Robin (and Mii Swordfighter where applicable) and I have seldom been disappointed.

If anything, I have actually become a bit apprehensive about using Yoshi simply because of how good he ended up being, out of fear of alienating my peers--but then, I actually do not frequent the tournament scene at all. I find FGCs to usually be particularly toxic places to be.

Edited by Tamarsamar

but I don't want people to think I'm a tier whore

that's just what salty people say. if you really want to win tournaments, you should use a top tier.

using better characters can also make you more skilled with worse characters since you'll know how to approach situations and use the worse characters' tools better. when i stopped "maining" pichu, my pichu became way better.

Edited by Comet

I'm saying that because Sheik (most common/best character) destroys Falcon and Roy imo. ZSS doesn't get destroyed.

Bad sheiks get destroyed by Falcon/Roy, you mean

yeah, you only really wanna pack a top tier for shitty matchups if you don't already play them as a main. like, I play Ganondorf mainly, so if there's a matchup that's just unwinnable, I'd just switch to my other main in Ryu.

Bad sheiks get destroyed by Falcon/Roy, you mean

Yeah, but I have some really good players at my locals

that's just what salty people say. if you really want to win tournaments, you should use a top tier.

using better characters can also make you more skilled with worse characters since you'll know how to approach situations and use the worse characters' tools better. when i stopped "maining" pichu, my pichu became way better.

Makes a lot of sense to

yeah, you only really wanna pack a top tier for shitty matchups if you don't already play them as a main. like, I play Ganondorf mainly, so if there's a matchup that's just unwinnable, I'd just switch to my other main in Ryu.

Yeah, a lot of MUs are ones I can only see myself using my primary characters for.

me. Probably need to do this to make me a better player like Comet said

Edited by Dreadfighter

yes it's worth it, if you do have skill already

otherwise, and this is the flip side of what Comet said, you may just find yourself compensating for flaws in your play by using your top tier's advantages (frame data, etc) as a crutch

also, actually a good video on the subject:[spoiler=minor language warning]https://youtu.be/1bNlI4jzNQ8

Captain Falcon is a great character, and he's better than Samus. I'm also willing to think Roy is a tiny bit better than her, if only because she just really lacks a good hand-to-hand and her grab, despite paying off, is pretty damn risky. Switching to a Top-tier is only really "worth it" if you just really want to win. You can have fun, want to win and actually win. You just have to be dedicated enough. I think Smash 4 is arguably the most balanced. The only really bad MUs I've seen are something like Sheik vs. Ganondorf...

soul did you watch the video I posted? it lists some pretty good reasons to use top tiers that aren't just "I want to win"

The video was largely a waste of time. The only good argument given was, if you know how the overhyped character plays, you will be better-equipped to play against them.

I mean, if that's all you got out of it, more power to you.

But being passive aggressive and referring to top-tiers as "overhyped characters" doesn't really improve your credibility.

also OP why is this thread in fftf are you like trying to encourage me to shitpost?

I mean, if that's all you got out of it, more power to you.

But being passive aggressive and referring to top-tiers as "overhyped characters" doesn't really improve your credibility.

also OP why is this thread in fftf are you like trying to encourage me to shitpost?

i honestly can't remember why I put put here.

play to win

Roy and C.Falcon are solid and can win, but higher tiers can win easier/better, that's just a fact (right now, anyways)

if you're really feeling that they're not working for you and not getting you the results you want, then switch. Just avoid character overload, since playing one or two at a "high" level is far better than playing like 5 just at a mid level because you spread yourself too thin.

you'll probably care less about what others think/"tier whoring" when you walk away with $$$

my first local I played Rosalina(always my main) in my first match and the guy was pretty bad, so I switched to Shulk next game to make it more even. It was, and I still beat him, but afterwards I didn't appreciate that handicapping myself could make me lose out on the prize, so I ran Rosa through the rest of the tourney, got first, and came out $30 richer.

If I cared about the game competitively and planned to enter more, I'd practice Sheik more because then if I lose with Sheik/Rosa it means I was just straight up outplayed. No room for excuses or feeling like my character held me back.

Not saying everyone should pick a top tier, but if you're competing and your character is what you're doubting instead of your own skill, it's a good sign to switch and see what happens.

Edited by PKLucas531

soul did you watch the video I posted? it lists some pretty good reasons to use top tiers that aren't just "I want to win"

I watched it right after I posted what I did, and I still don't take back what I said.

oh ok @soul

oh also

imo top tiers are often more fun to play because they simply have more options (which is part of what makes them good, obv)

Is it just me, or is Euk the only one making sense here?

Yes, I disagree with him, and honestly would argue that it's more fun to use a character you like using, but that's a different argument entirely.

Here's the thing: A character is high in the tier list because a lot of great things were studied about a character, Shiek has plenty of counters, yes, but that's just that, Shiek can counter a bunch of stuff, but you shouldn't be looking at the character and thinking "Oh shit, I'm gonna lose," you should be looking at your opponent and thinking that. If you're facing ZeRo or something, then yes, be worried, ZeRo is a badass smash player. But there should still be one thing to note, and that's that you're fighting other people. Just because those players know a few tricks with those characters, doesn't mean you can't just study your own fighter that you wish to use, and figure out a way to counter it for yourself.

The point I'm trying to get at is It's stupid to think that just because somebody is using a high tier or lower tier character, they automatically have shit taste.

You know what? That brings me to another point, what the fuck is with all this double standard crap? The logic I keep seeing is that "If you use a low tier character, you're shit," and "if you use a high tier character, you don't actually like the character."

Simply put, use whoever you like, if you want to use ZSS because she's fun to play as, go ahead. If you want to use Roy or something because you like using him, just do it, learn to get better with the character, the internet is not the only source for what makes a character good or not. Personal skill is involved, and learning the character yourself is another thing.

Sorry for the rant, I just get sick of people thinking it's okay to advocate sacrificing your own enjoyment of the game, just so you can "objectively" do better in tournements.

Is it just me, or is Euk the only one making sense here?

there are definitely other people making sense here so it is neither only you nor only me

I'd get a handle on all the top-tier characters, so you know how to get around them.

Personally, I play whoever the hell I want (in my case, it's Falco), but I'm not competitive.