General US Politics

Ansem

There's a part of me that's always felt kind of bad for Boehner. Right-wing congressmen have pretty much been slamming everything about him from day one just for so much as attempting compromise with the Democrats. He's probably relieved to leave and get out of Ted Cruz's crosshairs.

otoh he did quite a bit to whip the base into a frenzy since before the 2010 midterms, so it's really a mixed bag

though given the GOP's previous record of courting dixiecrats mad about the civil rights act of 1964 and voting rights act of 1965 and then the religious right in the late 70s and 80s, one could see this as a continuation of their recent history of faustian bargains for electoral support

Edited by I.M. Gei

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/presidential-candidates-dashboard.html

i find this amusing, that though trump is gaining a lot of media attention, bush is still projected higher than him.

The article talks about endorsements being a major predictor, and it's true that Bush is leading there. But he only has about 7% of endorsements. It looks like a lot of the rep party is holding out on their endorsements for now. Probably waiting for candidates to be winnowed out.

Edited by Severian

Can't link on mobile, but the latest GOP poll shows Carson leading the field, a whopping seven points ahead of Trump. This, of course, correlates uncomfortably with his recent comments denigrating Muslims, but I'm not sure if that should come as a surprise at this point.

I'm fairly sure that's just a clerical error, as Real Clear Politics (again, sorry, can't link; just Google their poll data page) lists the 3% as belonging to Rand Paul.

I agree that this one poll should probably with a grain of salt, though, as other recent ones show Trump still in the lead and Fiorina gaining more significantly than Rubio. But I also wouldn't be shocked if it was accurate, considering Carson has likely gained with right-wingers due to his defiance of "political correctness."

Edited by TheCosmicDude

i'd take the ibd poll with a huge grain of salt given that it provides a paycheck for noted awful political cartoonist michael ramirez

p.s. carson's going nowhere; it's dubious if he's gaining due to his "defiance of 'treating people with respect'" given that pretty much the entire GOP field jerks off about how they're not going to let THE PC POLICE, MAAAAAAN keep them down, so much as because he's going through a bump; remember that back in 2012, you had your flavors of not-romney who had their brief moment in the sun before petering out. i dunno if it's more of a not-establishment bump, or a not-trump bump here, though

Edited by I.M. Gei

Though even considering that Trump/Carson/etc. may be temporary, the strength of the overall anti-establishment movement seems pretty high. I'm not sure Jeb can really win the nomination at this point- hell the Pew poll has him down to 4%. Romney was often not the leader, but usually at least was managing a solid second place.

Edited by -Cynthia-

i saw a post a while back that i thought was pretty insightful, and the basic essence of that post was that trump came in at just the right time; he announced his run right after movement conservatism had suffered a one-two-three punch with the obergefell and burwell scotus rulings, and then with the confederate battle flag going down from south carolina's state capitol and becoming anathema amongst a much wider swath of the public after stormfront roof's massacre in charleston. and it's not just that these defeats happened, but that they happened after the 2014 midterms, when the republican base turned up and had nothing to show for it a half-year later. republican politicians had been telling their constituents that gay marriage would lead to societal collapse and the like, that the ppaca was government tyranny, and when they lost on these issues, they couldn't do shit about it.

this made them receptive to someone like trump who came in and promised them all the things they wanted

I think Rubio probably has the best shot at it now. He's establishment, but his race and age allows him to paint himself as not too establishment, and the full out antiestablishment candidates aren't that sustainable long term. He's still as awful as the rest of the GOP though.

But I think part of me really wants Trump to win the nomination. It would signify the total implosion of the party.

Edited by Radiant head

I think Rubio probably has the best shot at it now. He's establishment, but his race and age allows him to paint himself as not too establishment, and the full out antiestablishment candidates aren't that sustainable long term. He's still as awful as the rest of the GOP though.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if establishment started migrating from Bush to Rubio. He doesn't have the stigma of the Bush legacy (a negative among most voters at this point) and is more charismatic in the debate setting. I don't personally like him as president of the United States, but I can see how someone conservative might like him- unlike the Carson popularity which still baffles me.

i saw a post a while back that i thought was pretty insightful, and the basic essence of that post was that trump came in at just the right time; he announced his run right after movement conservatism had suffered a one-two-three punch with the obergefell and burwell scotus rulings, and then with the confederate battle flag going down from south carolina's state capitol and becoming anathema amongst a much wider swath of the public after stormfront roof's massacre in charleston. and it's not just that these defeats happened, but that they happened after the 2014 midterms, when the republican base turned up and had nothing to show for it a half-year later. republican politicians had been telling their constituents that gay marriage would lead to societal collapse and the like, that the ppaca was government tyranny, and when they lost on these issues, they couldn't do shit about it.

this made them receptive to someone like trump who came in and promised them all the things they wanted

The question is if he was planning this. Remember when Trump first announced that he was running? Remember how we all said he would peter out in a month? Remember that that didn't happen, and now we're still insisting that it will, in fact, peter out, just give it another month? I don't think that Trump will win, but he is establishing a legitimate power base for his kind of Republican, and that power base is here to stay.

RIP in peace kevin mcarthy you were the shit

In all seriousness I thought he actually had a shot. I did not think that remark about Hilary would hurt him so much but I guess it did.

Yeah, that did not inspire a lot of confidence in his ability to be president lol. Jim Webb also spent most of his time complaining about not having enough time and I don't think running even further right than Hillary is going to help him much. O'Malley was ok but I doubt he's going to spike in the polls or anything.