The Legend of Heroes Series

王小小

I honestly can't wait to play the 3rd, since it has backstories on some characters and such. Also it opens the way to the Crossbell series. Zero and Ao are great yes. And i actually quite enjoyed ToCS. (Despite not understanding japanese) ToCS2 was good too. But of course i'd be able to enjoy them more in english. It'll be ages until zero/ao is translated, and they're both good. ;-;

Hopefully more people agree with you, and don't dismiss ToCS2 just because 1 was "generic highscool waifushit". Or perhaps it's just me being tired of full teenager casts - an industry standard the previous games in the series didn't follow

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I found ToCS the worst game in the series, though.

You're not alone buddy. Any time I read a comment from someone that's played the entire series something like this gets said. Beat Cold Steel last month and SC the month before that and all I have to say about Cold Steel is if that's the worst game in the series then I'm extremely excited for everything that hasn't been localized yet. Especially because of how a lot of posters on other forums will say how 3rd, Ao, or CS2 is their favorite game. That's a lot of potentially amazing games to look forward to and that's without counting Cold Steel 3 which should be coming out either later this year or next year in Japan.

Edited by Asakim

I loved Second Chapter, they fixed a couple gameplay issues I had with the first one (e.g more orbs variety) nightmare mode was so challenging I loved it every boss battle was so epic.

Whats part 3 like? Is SC the conclusion for Joshua and Estelle's story (i.e. are they involved in part 2) because I herd the main character is the priest guy who was introduced in SC

Trails in the Sky the 3rd is the game that will start the rest of the series basically. From what I remember Trails in the Sky's main story was done with Second Chapter but while they were writing the story for Trails of Zero/Zero no Kiseki they started to realize the script was getting too huge and that way too much background and world information was getting dumped in one game. So they decided to make another Trails in the Sky game with most of that part of the script mixed into it. Also I've heard that it's more of a dungeon crawler than the other games.

Edited by Asakim

I tried playing the other PSP localized trilogy but I disliked the story and gameplay. Maybe it was because Trails in the Sky is so much better than them in every aspect. I'd play Cold Steel if I had a PS3/PSVita, so until them I can only wait to see if they're willing to port it to PC.

Still haven't played much of SC. It looks really good, but I think I need to replay FC first in order to remember the story and how it feels to play a Trails in the Sky game. My hype kind of disappeared, but I remember it was a great experience and I want to enjoy that hype again.

The problem with the other Trilogy I heard is that in addition to the gameplay being really old and archaic the story was apparently machine translated. I would love for Xseed to get a crack at those games if Falcom ever goes through with remaking them like they've talked about wanting to do in the past.

Also I know it's bad to suggest buying a system for JUST one game BUT I'm going to do it anyway. If you ever see the PS TV on sale get it. So many Vita games have been patched to work on it at this point and also being able to play PS1 and PSP games on it is pretty great too. I've seen them go for as low as $20/£36.45 new. The only problems with them is buying a memory card large enough to hold all the games you would want can get expensive. That and a controller or two. Although if you have an old Dualshock 3 or Dualshock 4 they'll work with the system.

• 1 month later...

You're not alone buddy. Any time I read a comment from someone that's played the entire series something like this gets said. Beat Cold Steel last month and SC the month before that and all I have to say about Cold Steel is if that's the worst game in the series then I'm extremely excited for everything that hasn't been localized yet. Especially because of how a lot of posters on other forums will say how 3rd, Ao, or CS2 is their favorite game. That's a lot of potentially amazing games to look forward to and that's without counting Cold Steel 3 which should be coming out either later this year or next year in Japan.

I'll be honest, ToCS is the first time I'd ever even heard of the series and is so far the only game I've played. . . and I adored it. I've heard plenty of people say it was good but not as great as the older games but dammit I loved the experience I had with ToCS so much. It's been a long time since I've felt so emotionally invested in a cast of characters (and I mean like every single NPC too because god why do I find their lives so interesting???) and even though I was able to figure out a few of the bigger twists, it didn't lessen the impact they had for me. I also thought the gameplay was pretty great, and the music, my god, that music.

Look, just call me a new fan, okay? I can't wait for the sequel.

I'll be honest, ToCS is the first time I'd ever even heard of the series and is so far the only game I've played. . . and I adored it. I've heard plenty of people say it was good but not as great as the older games but dammit I loved the experience I had with ToCS so much. It's been a long time since I've felt so emotionally invested in a cast of characters (and I mean like every single NPC too because god why do I find their lives so interesting???) and even though I was able to figure out a few of the bigger twists, it didn't lessen the impact they had for me. I also thought the gameplay was pretty great, and the music, my god, that music.

Look, just call me a new fan, okay? I can't wait for the sequel.

Go get Trails in the Sky, which is on Steam! It doesn't look as polished as Cold Steel, but the story's just as amazing~!

Go get Trails in the Sky, which is on Steam! It doesn't look as polished as Cold Steel, but the story's just as amazing~!

Trails is super great and its on sale right now even.

Can't. . . resist. . . peer-pressure. . . !

Although ten bucks is a great deal. Sold!

Yay Third Chapter~ ... Hopefully I'll finish SC by then :P

Yeah, I've been playing Cold Steel super hard lately. I agree I haven't had this much enjoyment or attachment while playing an RPG in a long tiime.

Learning about the characters families makes me love 'em even more... not too many of the characters have been really explored yet for me, I'm hungry for more :D

Can't. . . resist. . . peer-pressure. . . !

Although ten bucks is a great deal. Sold!

Enjoy~ I know I did when I got it.

I'm still running through the Second Chapter haha.

Third chapter is still a full year away, so you should have plenty of time.

Then the next issue big will be when and how they will release Zero and Ao...

Yeah, I've been playing Cold Steel super hard lately. I agree I haven't had this much enjoyment or attachment while playing an RPG in a long tiime.

Learning about the characters families makes me love 'em even more... not too many of the characters have been really explored yet for me, I'm hungry for more :D

Like, I don't know what this says about me but I was literally weeping through the last two hours of the game. The feelings were real. To be fair, it was a weird day for me. . . but still, it's just a really engaging game. The way they handled the field studies also forced me to get to know and like members of Class VII that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

weeell it did take me like... 4 years to beat FC XD

oh man oh man, that's exciting to hear @_@ I'm just in the Nord Highlands right now. Nothing has gotten too intense, but

Jusis telling Rean about how he's the duke's bastard son and his mom's death tugged some heartstrings for me, especially since how poorly his pappy treats him. And the soup sidequest ;_;

I know what you mean, usually when I play RPGs I just pick my favorites in my party and don't bother with anyone else, but here the pool of characters to use is constantly switching. Like I was always pretty indifferent towards Gaius, but now that he's on the study group in his homeland I've really embraced using the character on my team.

oh man oh man, that's exciting to hear @_@ I'm just in the Nord Highlands right now. Nothing has gotten too intense, but

Jusis telling Rean about how he's the duke's bastard son and his mom's death tugged some heartstrings for me, especially since how poorly his pappy treats him. And the soup sidequest ;_;

I know what you mean, usually when I play RPGs I just pick my favorites in my party and don't bother with anyone else, but here the pool of characters to use is constantly switching. Like I was always pretty indifferent towards Gaius, but now that he's on the study group in his homeland I've really embraced using the character on my team.

Oh Jusis <3

Like, you know he's going to get defrosted as the game goes on and what's revealed about him really isn't groundbreaking, but how the game presents it to you really pulls on the heartstrings.

And I always liked Gaius because spears, but meeting his awesome family really bumped him up the list of favorites. And it's not even anything sad, he's just the only one with a totally normal, loving family with no drama or angst about it at all and it's heartwarming to me.

Just a question about TC : is it needed to have the previous games' saves ? Since it seems I won't be able to play it on Vita like FC and SC.

Nord Highland was when I really started loving this game. Absolutey everything about this part is perfect.

The fact it happens after the awfull exam period only makes it better (in a way, it's brilliant. I really felt this feeling of freedom after spending hours in class.)

I have some issues with ToCS : It's both too formulaic (Free Time - Old Schollhouse exploration - School Trip) and too disjointed (there's too many sequel hooks. Having so many points of interrest and knowing we won't have any kind of answer before a while is frustrating.)

But the battle system is truly great, the soundtrack is amazing, and all the usual Trails magic is present : fully fleshed world, likable characters (both main and secondary). And Erebonia's politics is a fascinating subject (No, shut up girl! I want to know all the political and economical implications of the railways!)

Well, I played SC just before, so obviously it couldn't be as good (story wise. And the characters had time to grow on me.)(Comparing a 1st chapter to a 2nd one is plain unfair.). I'm still awaiting ToCS II impatiently, because it may fixes some of those issues and I think it'll be really great.

Wow, what a coincidence! I log on and head to the General Gaming sub-forum, and the first topic is a Legend of Heroes thread. I say this because I literally started Trails in the Sky FC yesterday, since it was on sale and I wanted to give it a shot.

Edited by DragonLord

Just a question about 3rd : is it needed to have the previous games' saves ? Since it seems I won't be able to play it on Vita like FC and SC.

3rd does have save transfer but it apparently only checks for Estelle's rank for some bonus items so there shouldn't be much problem in just getting a save file from somewhere instead of using yours

Just a question about TC : is it needed to have the previous games' saves ? Since it seems I won't be able to play it on Vita like FC and SC.

Not really. You get one or two accessories and maybe a little sepith if you have a SC save, but that's it. No extra dialogue or quest rewards like in SC, Ao or CS2.

Wow, what a coincidence! I log on and head to the General Gaming sub-forum, and the first topic is a Legend of Heroes thread. I say this because I literally started Trails in the Sky FC yesterday, since it was on sale and I wanted to give it a shot.

The game is rather slow at first, hopefully you won't be discouraged by it.

Well, I played SC just before, so obviously it couldn't be as good (story wise. And the characters had time to grow on me.)(Comparing a 1st chapter to a 2nd one is plain unfair.). I'm still awaiting ToCS II impatiently, because it may fixes some of those issues and I think it'll be really great.

ToCS2 is quite legit imo

Well, except for a certain intermission chapter, if you take it seriously

Edited by TheEnd

I was warned of this as well before I played FC, but I actually like how relaxed the beginning is, because it gives some nice insight to the world you're about to experience, and getting to know some of the characters.

But maybe I'm just weird :P:

Well I mean Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda, and everyone knows how slow that game's introduction is. I'm a pretty patient guy, and I don't mind when a game takes its time with the story.

Well I mean Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda, and everyone knows how slow that game's introduction is. I'm a pretty patient guy, and I don't mind when a game takes its time with the story.

You'll be fine for sure then, (I love TP too).

I think its a very good way to get started in FC's case because it introduces the world in a very laid back way, as I already said.