QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

update because i was reading more responses

i would be good at it because im good at everything really but i have no interest

nice

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what the person has to say.

Uhhhhhh you know this forum's been around for over 8 years, right? And might even still go on for much longer

That's a LOT of content to deal with (pinning every review?? that would probably take up multiple pages, that's way too crowded and it sounds like a crowd is what you're against considering your stance on necroposting)

At the very least I'm assuming you mean merging topics that were made recent and from that point onward...

I'm still confused why people think the necroposting is leading toward a bunch of repeated, spammed topics. The topic has to be months inactive, which means that in active forums it'll be pages back and out of sight. Otherwise, the topic ALSO has to be off the first page, which means that in inactive forums (looking at you general forum) any long inactive topics are still going to be out of sight. Which means that shouldn't be clogging forums up at all, because the old topics will start disappearing. Any repetitive topics are likely just somebody not reading that another topic like it already exists and if you have a problem with that report it to the staff because they might not have noticed yet and if they see your point they'll take care of it. I've seen similar topics merged before. The staff don't magically see everything that's going on, that's way too much work. That's why the report function (sorry but this feature can't get emphasized enough because many of the complainers about stuff going on on the forum don't even bother to use it, when using it could help fix the problem) is very very helpful. Or also helpful, if reporting doesn't really work conveniently, is to message one of the staff whether that to you is PM or skype or some other form of contact.

But anyway if you want it to be easier to find reviews, suggest to the staff to give it its own little forum section (but of course I guess you'd have to be convincing enough as well)

But if you were to become a moderator, you'd have to suggest your changes to the staff anyway! You don't get the final say in anything, everybody has to consult each other. So mod or regular member, you'd have to make the suggestion to the other mods/admins either way. The staff is a team, everybody has to work together.

As for the pinned FAQ threads, I think depending on how it's set up that could work fine and help avoid an excessive amount of topics. And if you don't make it onto the staff, just remember it's still a suggestion you could make to them!

First thing: I can't become a mod. Not only because of my awkward language skills and low internet time, but also because there are too many things in this fourm I'd like to change and I never could establish my ideas. Since this forum exists for already eight years, it's not possible to do a revolution.

There are lots of topics in the FE sections, which exist multiple times. Merging topics with similar content would make the overview for the members much easier. If they're common, they should also be pinned to prevent necros and starting more topics with a similar content. It'd save work for the mods: No locking of topics, no merging (if topics are pinned).

If a new forum was made, these mentioned points should simplify things for everyone imo.

BTW I made a suggestion about pinning videogame reviews, but I never have got a real answer.

Edit: I'd volunteer for doing a FAQ thread for FE10, but only if it'd be pinned and anyone could add stuff despite they're not the OP. However it'd take some time to do it and I'd add more and more stuff after the time.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

given that I am currently in lecture right now and not listening at all, no.

So, everyone who wants to be a mod:

You'll have to take care of Serious Discussion, too. :P:

As for me. . .it depends. Tee-hee~!

being able to warn people for making bad posts in SD seems a lot better than only being able to yell at them

Depends what the person has to say.

First thing: I can't become a mod. Not only because of my awkward language skills and low internet time, but also because there are too many things in this fourm I'd like to change and I never could establish my ideas. Since this forum exists for already eight years, it's not possible to do a revolution.

There are lots of topics in the FE sections, which exist multiple times. Merging topics with similar content would make the overview for the members much easier. If they're common, they should also be pinned to prevent necros and starting more topics with a similar content. It'd save work for the mods: No locking of topics, no merging (if topics are pinned).

If a new forum was made, these mentioned points should simplify things for everyone imo.

BTW I made a suggestion about pinning videogame reviews, but I never have got a real answer.

Edit: I'd volunteer for doing a FAQ thread for FE10, but only if it'd be pinned and anyone could add stuff despite they're not the OP. However it'd take some time to do it and I'd add more and more stuff after the time.

Those are some pretty awful ideas honestly. Merging all threads with similar topics is just confusing and an unnecessary display of mod power (remember, your job as a moderator is to /moderate/), and pinning an FAQ that might as well become inactive is also silly when it could be a normal, active thread that runs its course and dies when it is no longer needed. Besides, there are already fairly similar pinned threads with more specified purposes. It's just a silly ineffective way to reduce forum clutter, which isn't even a serious issue anyway.

It would also most certainly not save work for the mods. How is merging similar threads less work than locking necros? Why would merged threads be easier to have under control?

Besides, if forums were literally like a whole page of very generalized threads where all new content is inevitably merged (all topics about fire emblem invariably fall into one of a number of categories because its a videogame and theres not that much to talk about other than like a couple specific things) it would just be a stagnant, confusing mess.

Pinning videogame reviews serves literally no purpose whatsoever. I don't even understand that one.

i think we should have one collective thread as we are all one hive mind

question: no, as evidenced by the above

Edited by Tryhard