QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

divine command theory is a common criticism with moral absolutism that states that if morality is defined by God, then whatever God commands is right or 'morally correct'

this raises problems such as, "what if God commanded us to kill babies?"

i'd imagine most sane people would disagree on whether this is morally, let alone socially acceptable

you could then argue something like, "God would never command that," and we're faced with an entirely different argument of whether or not we can accurately interpret God, if at all. our only source thus far is any religious text, and whether or not you choose to believe in that is totally up to you, but it's preposterous to think that its existence implies some kind of scientific proof (i personally do not believe in a god, though i'm not going to go and say believing in a god is bad or go full-atheist, because atheists have problems of their own; the athiest's wager)

I mean, for me, at least, I believe that being good is intrinsic to being God. That's my belief, you know, so...I am quite frankly the guy who says 'God wouldn't command that'. That's what I believe, at least.

Of course, we all know the true problem with atheists is where is their moral barometer?

Hashtag terrible reference!

good job you managed to religion into this

Should we stop?

Also, I mean...to be honest, that probably could have been seen coming.

as long as you can be chill about it, it's fine

sadly I don't trust the members of serenes forest dot net with such a topic, but it's fftf so it should be fine, so I was mostly being sarcastic

as long as you can be chill about it, it's fine

sadly I don't trust the members of serenes forest dot net with such a topic, but it's fftf so it should be fine, so I was mostly being sarcastic

Are you kidding? I don't even trust myself to be chill about it.

I mean, for me, at least, I believe that being good is intrinsic to being God. That's my belief, you know, so...I am quite frankly the guy who says 'God wouldn't command that'. That's what I believe, at least.

Of course, we all know the true problem with atheists is where is their moral barometer?

Hashtag terrible reference!

that was a pretty nice reference tbh

i'd then ask you to define 'good'

in a previous talk i had with a friend similar to this one, he replied with all of the things he defined as good. i asked why they were good, and he stated they were good because god commanded that they were good

it ends with god being good because things that are good are commanded by god, and that's pretty circular if you ask me

i'd love to continue this conversation btw ethical philosophy is my shit

if you don't though that's totally okay

Edited by Knight of Argentum

is nobody going to bother referencing the fact Integ suspended me for six hours because I'm a loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules.

he's done it to many other people before, it's nothing new~ sorry

that was a pretty nice reference tbh

Hashtag success.

i'd then ask you to define 'good'

in a previous talk i had with a friend similar to this one, he replied with all of the things he defined as good. i asked why they were good, and he stated they were good because God commanded that they were good

it ends with God being good because things that are good are commanded by God, and that's pretty circular if you ask me

Well, eh...it is kind of circular, I guess. There's a saying among my kind, God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good. It does certainly show that, you know, and I want to preface this by saying that faith, like...is important. It's a time where believing is seeing.

But at the same time, I think things are good...like, yes, God does them because they are good and because God does them they are good, because God is good and it goes in a loop and all that, yes, God is good, end of the discussion, really, but there are things you can look at about those good things and see why they are good, the good they do, good things benefit people who will accept it, to simplify and not really think about it and I might have some revelation which will completely change that overnight.

Hashtag success.

Well, eh...it is kind of circular, I guess. There's a saying among my kind, God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good. It does certainly show that, you know, and I want to preface this by saying that faith, like...is important. It's a time where believing is seeing.

But at the same time, I think things are good...like, yes, God does them because they are good and because God does them they are good, because God is good and it goes in a loop and all that, yes, God is good, end of the discussion, really, but there are things you can look at about those good things and see why they are good, the good they do, good things benefit people who will accept it, to simplify and not really think about it and I might have some revelation which will completely change that overnight.

i'm a really big logic guy and i appreciate all of the good organized religion does for the world, i just can't get past the faith leap required to believe in it. i'll believe in a god when i see evidence of there being one, but until then, i'm ambivalent

i'm a really big logic guy and i appreciate all of the good organized religion does for the world, i just can't get past the faith leap required to believe in it. i'll believe in a god when i see evidence of there being one, but until then, i'm ambivalent

Well, that's the issue man, it's like...my uncle, I would not call him a great example in terms of faith, but he said something I did like, which is that if you can prove God, then faith is meaningless. It takes no faith to believe in the atom. I like logic too, but, as a religious guy, I will say that faith is required for it.

Well, that's the issue man, it's like...my uncle, I would not call him a great example in terms of faith, but he said something I did like, which is that if you can prove God, then faith is meaningless. It takes no faith to believe in the atom. I like logic too, but, as a religious guy, I will say that faith is required for it.

believing requires faith, and faith is destroyed by evidence. i'd agree with your uncle, the moment god is proven, i don't need faith to believe in it, since... there's nothing to believe in. god is real in this scenario, and it would be fact

i don't need faith to believe that we are composed of subatomic particles, it has been proven

i do however need faith to believe in a god, since it hasn't been proven

i think it really comes down to the personal preference of whether you choose to have faith or not, which is a completely subjective matter; i don't have a right to encroach on one who believes in a god as much as that same person doesn't have a right to enforce his beliefs onto me

Edited by Knight of Argentum

Faith would play a big part in morality. I'm not going to start spiting religious stuff at you guys, but I will say that, even if the church, bible, etc said "Thou shalt drink alcohol" or something along those lines, I wouldn't do it. I have enough common sense to know that doing so is wrong, despite what my religion may say about that.

...I know that was a stupid example, but it was the only one that came to mind... (See current member title)

it was bound to happen at some point

it's hard to argue ethics involving absolutism without it

can you define "absolutism" for the rest of the class, then, because requiring god to tell you what is right or wrong isn't part of it afaik

i think it really comes down to the personal preference of whether you choose to have faith or not, which is a completely subjective matter; i don't have a right to encroach on one who believes in a god as much as that same person doesn't have a right to enforce his beliefs onto me

ALRIGHT EVERYONE TANGENT OVER YOU CAN ALL GO HOME!

NO MY TANGENT what have you done ;~;

according to my personal moral standards, suppressing that line of discussion is ABSOLUTELY IMMORAL smh

NO MY TANGENT what have you done ;~;

according to my personal moral standards, suppressing that line of discussion is ABSOLUTELY IMMORAL smh

You can thank the dude I quoted for having a perfectly healthy and logical view of how that issue should be handled. :P:

You can thank the dude I quoted for having a perfectly healthy and logical view of how that issue should be handled. :P:

the entire point of a qotd is for everyone to answer not just one person :(:

actually tho which tangent were you ending

just the one about "faith is okay y/n" or anything to do with faith having a bearing on morality