Is There a Fanbase of a Game(s) You Love That You Dislike?

CooledEvergreen

I would love to unleash the hate on the rest of the Treasure fanbase (for not spreading the glory of Treasure games enough), but I literally can't find it. Whyyyyyyyyyy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go with the Bayonetta fan base, because instead of being happy Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2 all they do is complain that it is not on PS4 or XBone. Sony and Microsoft both refused to help fund the game and the developer went to Nintendo as a last resort and saved the game. If you like a game series you should be happy if another game gets made that is good even if it ends up on a system you don't like as much as another. I proudly bought Bayonetta 2 day one because I liked the way it looked and the developer interviews I saw and man was it worth it.

I have really embarrassing memories of being an anime fan. Brrh... Not to say all anime fans are like that, but I was one of the really, really bad ones.

I have a few things I'd like to say about FE13/14's fanbase, but I don't want to get involved in that, so I'll say...

Xenoblade. They're really, really spoiler-sensitive. Like, you could say "Shulk's sword is called the Monado" and they'd flip.

I don't really dislike any fandom though, since there's always good people in them.

Touhou, FNAF, Minecraft, Sonic, and Kingdom Hearts are all by far the worset offenders.

Only one of those I dislike as a series is FNAF though. The other 4 I've found at least a little bit of enjoyment out of, especially Minecraft.

Smash, FNaF, FE, CoD, and MOBAs.

Smash can be VERY volatile due to elitism. Melee elitists are aggravating.

FNaF is a cesspool of dumb theories, dumb fanfictions that have no fraction of canon sense, and basically full of furries.

FE has some elitism and sometimes, the elitists are kinda like Melee fans in a sense. They seem like they never appreciate new things that could make the series more widespread, as if the fanbase are trying to be hipster.

CoD fanbase is just full of kids who whine and insult others just to cover up their own mistakes. There are a few good people, but I digress due to not playing as much.

MOBA fanbases are VERY toxic. Due to being part of PC, they can get WAY more toxic than Meleeaboos. They're elitist, overlook good things, and are very nitpicky to the point that it's not even helping. Sometimes, they whine about certain people being OP, and when they try the character they got salty from, they whine about how hard they are sometimes. It really depends i.e QQer who lost to Azir and then tries him out to become OP only to end the game with 0/8. In fact, it's so toxic that even the player's teammates are utter sore losers and quit as soon as a teamfight fails.

I don't think any one fanbase is bad in general, but sometimes they can be really annoying. Like the Smash fanbase for reasons people have already stated (Melee fanboys, elitists, etc.), as well as for saying dumb things like Marth and Ike should be replaced with Chrom and Lucina. And that either Marth or Ike should be cut at all. I mean, I kept getting told that Ike would be cut because Roy was, but no matter how many times I argued that Ike was surely going to stay, none of those people believed me and basically just laughed at me. But thankfully, those dipsticks had to eat their words, heh heh.

Pokemon fans can be annoying too. They sometimes whine that the games are the same formula over and over and want change, but when change happens, they whine about that too. They NEVER seem to know exactly what they want. I do agree with one complaint regarding change though, and that's how many times GameFreak has removed awesome features and never brought them back. I understand that they want each region to be unique, I get that, but removing so many good features all the time is just not the answer here, imo.

Oh, and Fire Emblem, particularly Awakening fans... They seem to think that FE is only about Awakening now and that the old games don't matter at all anymore. Don't some of them even refuse to play older FE games? What stupidity.

Biowarebiowarebiowarebiowarebioware.

I mean Bioware hasn't exactly been at their finest for a while, but that fanbase has devolved to nothing but irrational circle jerkers who denounce every move Bioware takes. Example would be how 2 or so years ago, Bioware announced that Shepard won't be your character in the new one (I mean you'd think that would be a given considering how 3 ended) and people have been complaining about how it won't be the same without them and that the series is kill despite not knowing next to anything about the next game as well as how many other RPG series have lived on different characters per instalment and have gone on fine.

KH fans are the worst

Yaoi, Yaoi everywhere

Touhou, FNAF, Minecraft, Sonic, and Kingdom Hearts are all by far the worset offenders.

Only one of those I dislike as a series is FNAF though. The other 4 I've found at least a little bit of enjoyment out of, especially Minecraft.

That's like people saying the Fire Emblem fanbase is a bunch of circlejerk elitists: get off reddit and 4chan and look at the actual fan-forums.

The guys over at KH13 and KHinsider a rather tame bunch of people who'd much sooner debate about actual gameplay merits or decipher some aspect of the lore rather than exchange crack-ships.

The yaoi fangirls are non-existent in the core fanbase.

Edited by The DanMan

So. aside from said Yaoi, what exactly is wrong with the Kingdom Hearts fanbase?

I aak this not because I disagree, but because I never cared about Kingdom Hearts until like, 5 days ago. So I'm curious as to what's so bad about the fanbase.

A KH fan tried to argue to me that the KH series beyond the first game isn't a massive Kudzu Plot. That's like arguing that Sonic can't run fast.

that didn't stop game theory for trying to argue it

I've seen very little elitism outside of Reddit and Gamefaqs; most people here are just fine. Of course, the prevelance of actual elitists are exaggerated.

I'll just post this link: http://cappnrob.tumblr.com/post/120639414767/why-is-the-old-school-fire-emblem-fandom-so-bad

Though I don't necessarily agree about his point on Awakening, I will say this: a LOT of "elitism" attributed to the Fire Emblem fanbase means "criticizes Awakening".

this is actually a pretty neat post, thanks alot for providing it

i am seconding the bioware thing, not to even mentioning how awful their bi and homosexual characters are, as a bi myself, i'm not too happy that my sexuality is still being stereotyped so badly.

i've even had people try to argue with me about how i should be happy because i am getting represented, even if it is awful. what the hell? you wouldn't eat Poop Pizza just because it exists.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

A KH fan tried to argue to me that the KH series beyond the first game isn't a massive Kudzu Plot. That's like arguing that Sonic can't run fast.

That's like factually wrong. I've never had any trouble understanding anything and I haven't even played Coded for instance. The plot is all really obvious and I can't think of any time where a plot thread got too much or are unfinished without me knowing that it'll be finished in KHIII.

Like Ventus. I guarantee any loose plots involving him and the other 2 will be nicely wrapped up.

But instead, people make assumptions without actually thinking.

I don't think any one fanbase is bad in general, but sometimes they can be really annoying. Like the Smash fanbase for reasons people have already stated (Melee fanboys, elitists, etc.), as well as for saying dumb things like Marth and Ike should be replaced with Chrom and Lucina. And that either Marth or Ike should be cut at all. I mean, I kept getting told that Ike would be cut because Roy was, but no matter how many times I argued that Ike was surely going to stay, none of those people believed me and basically just laughed at me. But thankfully, those dipsticks had to eat their words, heh heh.

Pokemon fans can be annoying too. They sometimes whine that the games are the same formula over and over and want change, but when change happens, they whine about that too. They NEVER seem to know exactly what they want. I do agree with one complaint regarding change though, and that's how many times GameFreak has removed awesome features and never brought them back. I understand that they want each region to be unique, I get that, but removing so many good features all the time is just not the answer here, imo.

Oh, and Fire Emblem, particularly Awakening fans... They seem to think that FE is only about Awakening now and that the old games don't matter at all anymore. Don't some of them even refuse to play older FE games? What stupidity.

I hate the Smash Fanbase because whenever to try to reason with someone all they do is complain that they didn't get what they want. An example is when Roy came out they complained about FE having too many reps. One example of sad annoying and dumb fanbase was that clones shouldn't be in the game and Zelda deserved more reps than FE, yet the guy wanted Impa who would have been a sheik clone included.

I've come across Awakening Fans who refuse to play older FE games which is quite sad. One thing about this fanbase is that some new fans don't appreciate the older games and act as though new mechanics are all that matter Vice versa as well. I'd also say something about Fates, particularly Soleil but that's best kept to myself.

*the small minority

smogon's fanbase as a whole is pretty bad.

KH is just complex for almost no reason.

Also Makalov how are they poorly written? I'm actually curious since I've not played any bioware games since DA:O.

for me the biggest issue is that, not all of the bi/homo characters, but some of them are definitely portrayed by their sexuality first, character second, if it even exists.

hell going back to bioware doing an example right was Juhani in knights of the old republic, its a a small part of her character but its in there, just more obvious if you play as a female character (it also helps that she wasn't designed with fan service) or the ever famous Arcade Gannon who's a fantastic character with only 3 or so lines stating his sexuality (rather openly mind you) hell taking the "i'm Bi/gay" trait allows you to recruit him the easiest (others require high speech, low intelligence, or doing alot for his group)

its part of why i actually wasn't too happy about Zero in FE fates, sure he's bisexual, but he's also a sexual deviant who has some REALLY raunchy supports and my castle lines, i don't like this idea of "all Bi's have to be flaming men and women that always talk about how they like to do it" more so because i, myself, while a pervert, that's only in the bedroom, hell you could make an argument about Ike, Soren, Raven, Lucius, and Legault if you really think any of them are bi/gay, but they is more to them then "i really like sex and am proud of my sexuality" so in theory, fire emblem has done alot better with bi's and homo's in the past.

sorry for derailing due to sexuality off topic discussion, i'll refrain from it in this thread in the future.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

That's like factually wrong. I've never had any trouble understanding anything and I haven't even played Coded for instance. The plot is all really obvious and I can't think of any time where a plot thread got too much or are unfinished without me knowing that it'll be finished in KHIII.

Like Ventus. I guarantee any loose plots involving him and the other 2 will be nicely wrapped up.

But instead, people make assumptions without actually thinking.

How are you so sure Ventus' story will be wrapped up

I'm not doubting it or anything I'm just curious since the closest I've ever gotten to finishing a Kingdom Hearts game was yesterday I finished Ventus' story in Birth By Sleep

Lol, this.

Yes, there's elitists, people who bash older games without playing them, but when you think about it, they're a vocal minority.

Every other fanbase that has a bad rep I only know because every likes to complain about them, haha.

Yes thank you

One thing I tend to notice is that there's almost always more people complaining about a fanbase than there are actually problems in said fanbase

In most fanbases the good tends to greatly outweigh the bad; people just like to complain about the bad more often, thus making the fanbase infamous for being bad.

The Fire Emblem fanbase. Never before have I seen so many elitist arseholes in one place.

More or less this and the Smash fanbase.

I haven't seen much of Awakening and/or Fates fans treating the previous FE games poorly, but if that is a serious thing, then I apologize. I started with Awakening, it's currently my favorite in the series, and Awakening fans who act like that are the plague.

However. I've seen plenty of fans of the older FE games hating on Awakening fans simply because they like Awakening. I'm not referring to criticizing Awakening, I'm referring to treating FANS of Awakening poorly for liking Awakening and starting with it. And treating said fans as if they were useless and unneeded and that they'd rather the series die than Awakening of all things save it.

That and giving people hell for playing on Casual Mode.

Edited by Deviddo

How are you so sure Ventus' story will be wrapped up

I'm not doubting it or anything I'm just curious since the closest I've ever gotten to finishing a Kingdom Hearts game was yesterday I finished Ventus' story in Birth By Sleep

Like,[spoiler=oops spoilers] waking him up is pretty much it. Vanitas and whatever was sort of finished, although DDD did bring Vanitas' heart back so maybe I'm not so great lol

@Makalov, I guess I've just been lucky then, I haven't seen many of those stereotypes. Actually FE has the only two I can think of, Zero and maybe Heather? I haven't gotten the chance to play RD.

Excellent post though.

Lol, this.

Yes, there's elitists, people who bash older games without playing them, but when you think about it, they're a vocal minority.

Every other fanbase that has a bad rep I only know because everyone likes to complain about them, haha.

Yeah, this.

I mean on 4chan even /feg/ is somewhat tame compared to a board like /xivg/ and /gsg/, which do nothing but complain about their games. But, look beyond that and you will find many people who love them. The majority of the people I talk to on here barely show such negative attitudes toward FE. I mean it's impossible to get rid of the bad, but it's also unwise to look at just the surface of a community.

I haven't seen much of Awakening and/or Fates fans treating the previous FE games poorly, but if that is a serious thing, then I apologize. I started with Awakening, it's currently my favorite in the series, and Awakening fans who act like that are the plague.

However. I've seen plenty of fans of the older FE games hating on Awakening fans simply because they like Awakening. I'm not referring to criticizing Awakening, I'm referring to treating FANS of Awakening poorly for liking Awakening and starting with it. And treating said fans as if they were useless and unneeded and that they'd rather the series die than Awakening of all things save it.

That and giving people hell for playing on Casual Mode.

I honestly haven't seen much of any of the hate you describe here, not even Casual mode hate. I have seen it, but the number of toxic people is still vastly outweighed by the number of people who are reasonable about their opinions, as many others in this thread have already stated.