What was the last book you read?

Icemario

Well yeah that would be the war part of it. It's one of the major topics I can actually follow in the book since it's talked about so much and I actually know who Napoleon is (while I don't know who Márya Dmítrievna Akhrosímova isand couldn't even begin to pronunce it ). And some of the characters are French refugees or spouses so it makes a certain degree of sense. It's just strange where some characters alternate between french and russian even in the one sentence. I guess everyone just knew the major European languages back then. Quite different to the world I live in despite my country having two national languages.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plato's The Last days of Socrates is the last book I finished. The last book I read, but not finished... Urgh, there's quite a lot of books that could fit that description...

Plato's The Last days of Socrates is the last book I finished. The last book I read, but not finished... Urgh, there's quite a lot of books that could fit that description...

History of my life. I read a lot of books but only 1 in 20 are finished, and they're usually fiction. Way to go, me.

Well yeah that would be the war part of it. It's one of the major topics I can actually follow in the book since it's talked about so much and I actually know who Napoleon is (while I don't know who Márya Dmítrievna Akhrosímova isand couldn't even begin to pronunce it ). And some of the characters are French refugees or spouses so it makes a certain degree of sense. It's just strange where some characters alternate between french and russian even in the one sentence. I guess everyone just knew the major European languages back then. Quite different to the world I live in despite my country having two national languages.

Well, French was basically the language of all the nobility back then. For example, King Frederick the Great of Prussia actually spoke French more than German despite his country being at war with France, and everyone was okay with that since French was simply what people spoke.

Edited by blah2127

I haven't finished any books after "foundation" due to my work, but the book i read before that was "things fall apart" which was quite good (if not as mind blowingly excellent as the hype might lead you to believe). The best aspect is how the author manages to craft a distinctly African style by using tropes from oral storytelling while still being mindful of the written medium. That book really makes you think about colonialism.

The book i read before THAT was "arrows of the queen" by Mercedes Lackey (the first book in the Vladimar setting which is one of those setting that the auther has written like 40 books in). It was decent, but i had issues with it, such as how the heroine felt a bit sueish, or how the part of the setting in the first few chapters is sexist in what feels like an over the top way, given the rest of the setting.

Edited by sirmola

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

When I had read the sequel to this first, some of the things in this book were really contradictory to what was written later. I was proven very wrong. I think I like this book more than Kiss the Girls, while they were both so good for what they did this one just takes you for a spin and then a spin and then hits you in the guts with a crowbar.

Although I must say, it's too ironic I was reading a book with this name while donning a Muffet theme.

Lone Wolf by Robert Muchamore.

Was pleased to see a book separate from the second series' initial trilogy, and definitely a very relaxing read to ease my mind after back-to-back tragics like The Road and Along Came a Spider.

Have just finished "My Name Is Red". My friend was not wrong, it's indeed a great book. Who know a coin can tell that many interesting tales (included the butt tale...cough).

Edited by Magical CC

Last time i posted in this thread, i had finished "foundation" by Isaac Asimov. Since then, i finished "foundation and empire" and "second foundation". I liked these more than the first one, primarily because it is boring when things go according to plan, and the second and third books deal with the plan going massively off the rails and various people trying to fix the problem. There are four more in the series, but they were published 30 years latter, and tie in/retcon in his other books that i haven't read. So Now I'm reading "I, Robot", which is the first of said other books.

Edited by sirmola

I recently finished "A Slip of the Keyboard", a collection of Terry Prattchet's essays and speeches. What a magnificent man he was. Right now I'm reading "Times of Contempt" by Andrzej Sapkowsky. It's the second book of the Witcher-Saga. It's a very fun read, even though the plot moves kinda slow - at least at the part I am right now - but Sapkowsky (and the guy who translated it from polish) has such great way of wirting, especially the dialogues, that I don't really mind.

So I finally completed The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I gotta say it's way better than Tom Sawyer was. Though it was difficult to read considering the somewhat old English was being used. Gonna start Sense and Sensibility now.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, actually pretty disappointing.

So I was told by the person who gave me the book its ending would make me really want to read the next one, but when I finished it, I felt literally nothing. It dawned on me that this was the case because I actually just wasn't attached to any of the characters. Its ending was such a mess imo, and now the more I reflect on what I read, the more I see I didn't like.

Probably still going to give the next book a chance, though.