SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

Yes; we have to study a foreign language in the U.K., and many schools only offer French.

I'm always heartened when native French speakers say they have trouble with French, too. French made me feel so stupid!

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your French is probably better than mine.

I took French and German in school and knew enough to get by when I visited Europe, but I haven't used it in years, so it's pretty rusty.

18: Favorite Harry Potter book?

19: Which House do you think you'd sort into?

20: Least favorite English monarch?

Your French is probably better than mine.

I took French and German in school and knew enough to get by when I visited Europe, but I haven't used it in years, so it's pretty rusty.

18: Favorite Harry Potter book?

19: Which House do you think you'd sort into?

20: Least favorite English monarch?

Mine is extremely rusty also!

18. Prisoner of Azkaban. I don't think JK Rowlings is a great writer of prose, but she knows how to spin a captivating yarn; I feel her shorter works are better paced and more exciting as a result.

19. Almost decidedly Ravenclaw, but Pottermore sorted me into Gryffindor and I'm still salty about it.

20. Tough question. Did you know we study very few British monarchs in history in schools in the U.K.? I know very few of them. Maybe King John, seeing as I'm a fan of the Robin Hood legends.

18. Prisoner of Azkaban. I don't think JK Rowlings is a great writer of prose, but she knows how to spin a captivating yarn; I feel her shorter works are better paced and more exciting as a result.

19. Almost decidedly Ravenclaw, but Pottermore sorted me into Gryffindor and I'm still salty about it.

20. Tough question. Did you know we study very few British monarchs in history in schools in the U.K.? I know very few of them. Maybe King John, seeing as I'm a fan of the Robin Hood legends.

18: I love that one, although I do like the long ones as well, and OotP is my favorite. I felt Book 7 had the worst pacing, maybe because they didn't have the backdrop of the school year to metronome the plot. I've said it should have been called Harry Potter and the Farting Around in the Woods for Six Months.

19: Funny you say that because the same thing happened to me! I got Ravenclaw when I first did the quiz years ago, then tried to make a new account this year, and they gave me Gryffindor.

20: That's odd, what sort of things do they emphasize in history class?

In the US, lots of the lesser known presidents get glossed over, but when I took AP US History, they all at least got a mention.

I love Medieval History, so I sort have memorized the line of British monarchs, partly also since my uncle traced our family back to the Normans invading in 1066.

18. Bahaha, yes, I said pretty much the same thing at the time.

19. See! More proof of our parallel lives.

20. There's more of an emphasis on social history, so lessons look at very specific periods of time and discuss how people lived, how the events of the period affected their lives, etc. For example, here are the revision notes for your high school history exam (GCSE): http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/shp/

In terms of purely British history, we studied: 1066, the Tudor period, Cromwell, the industrial revolution, 20th century Northern Ireland conflict and the world wars.

We did not learn dates, monarchs, etc.

Prisoner of Azkaban is up there among my favourites too but I actually like her longer works. Which has encouraged me to ask you to list all seven books in order from favourite to least favourite and why.

Prisoner of Azkaban is up there among my favourites too but I actually like her longer works. Which has encouraged me to ask you to list all seven books in order from favourite to least favourite and why.

I'll give it a go, but you'll have to understand that it's been a decade or more since I read some of these!

1. Prisoner of Azkaban: It's a good length, exciting reveal, and introduces Sirius Black to us.

2. and 3. are interchangeable: Philosopher's Stone and Goblet of Fire. I think the first book, though not as interesting as the later books, does a great job of laying the foundations and really drawing the reader in from the very start. Goblet of Fire I recall as being a good mid-length, setting the tone for the later books, and having a decent death scene.

4. Order of the Phoenix: I really, really detest Dolores Umbridge. She makes my skin crawl and she's possibly the greatest villain in the series. And it's because she's so repulsive that I rate this book up here: JK Rowling did a phenomenal job of creating someone so believably awful.

5. Probably Chamber of Secrets? But I really like snakes, and I really liked that Harry has the ability to speak parseltongue.

6. Half-Blood Prince: As I recall it was pretty fun once they started tracking down the horcruxes.

7. Deathly Hallows: There's the boring first few chapters, then the battle (for some reason I'm always a little meh on ending battles? Like the third Lord of the Rings movie is my least fave.), then the awfully twee ending. I completely understand why she wrote the epilogue the way she did, but it did feel a little too neat and tidy.

1: Opinions of the tumblr linked to in my sig (getoutoftherecat)?

2: Have you seen "Wake that slugabed up!"?

3. Did you know that "slugabed" was an actual word before playing Fates?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1: Opinions of the tumblr linked to in my sig (getoutoftherecat)?

2: Have you seen "Wake that slugabed up!"?

3. Did you know that "slugabed" was an actual word before playing Fates?

1. Yes, yes, excellent! I love cats in wrong places. Kitty in the plates cabinet!

2. Nope!

3. I didn't know for certain, but I assumed it was.

> If you were a character in Fates, which side would you fight for?

> What would be your personal skill?

> What units would you S support with?

> Which units would you A+ support with?

> Favorite weapon in Fates?

> If you were a character in Fates, which side would you fight for?

> What would be your personal skill?

> What units would you S support with?

> Which units would you A+ support with?

> Favorite weapon in Fates?

- Assuming I'm not Corrin and therefore didn't grow up in Nohr's royal family, I'd fight for Hoshido. But I also hope I'd have the courage to stand up to the wrongdoings on both sides, and be a part of Corrin's Revelation army, too.

- When enemy triggers battle, damage -2 and resistance + 4.

- Assuming I'm fighting for Hoshido, ummm, Takumi, Saizo, Kaze, Yukimura, Kagero, Kaden. If Revelation, Laslow, too (I wouldn't turn down a tea date).

- A+ Orochi (access to magical classes), Hinoka (purely for Pegasus lessons).

- If we can count divine weapons, Fujin Yumi. If I can only pick from generic weapons, the animal rod spirits are pretty cool. I bet tiger spirit would be especially intimidating.

1. Diplodocus, for sentimental reasons. One of my earliest memories, and my introduction to dinosaurs, is of walking into the Natural History Museum in London and laying eyes on the diplodocus skeleton in the great hall there.

2. Elastigirl, aka Mrs Incredible; she's a feminist in a traditional marriage, she's relatable as a mother, she has her wits about her, she helps save the day, and I bet giving birth is a cinch, too.

3. Bigger is always better in these cases. So yes (never seen the movies, though).

4. Boudica.

5. Hm, I can't say I care much for any president, but I do respect the constant racism and criticism Obama has endured, and his family is probably the best family to have resided in the White House.

4. What would your reaction be to getting a Nintendog out of an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros.? (In case you don't know, the Nintendog pops up right in front of the game's camera and obscures your view of the battlefield)

5. Have you played a Super Smash Bros. game?

6. Do you own a PS3?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

21: Do you have any interest in genealogy?

22: What part of England are you from?

23: Opinion on petticoats?

24: Opinion on kilts?

25: Favorite kid unit from Fates?

21. Yes, but not to the extent that I want to do the legwork to look things up. ;) I know my aunt managed to trace my dad's side back 400 years and my mom's family kept a good record. I personally have an exceptionally boring family history with no real known scandals. On the plus side, many of my ancestors lived into their 80s and 90s on both sides.

22. The south-east! But I lived for 7 years in Sheffield (close to where my grandmother's family was from).

23. They look super cute on under dresses/skirts! I don't own any.

24. Kilts are cool. Unfortunately I'm only like 1/10 Scottish so I have no claim to them. :(

25. Personality-wise, Hisame. Unit-wise, Velouria and Kiragi nearly always turn out awesome for me. Kiragi had some insane growths the past Birthright & Rev runs I did.

21. Yes, but not to the extent that I want to do the legwork to look things up. ;) I know my aunt managed to trace my dad's side back 400 years and my mom's family kept a good record. I personally have an exceptionally boring family history with no real known scandals. On the plus side, many of my ancestors lived into their 80s and 90s on both sides.

22. The south-east! But I lived for 7 years in Sheffield (close to where my grandmother's family was from).

23. They look super cute on under dresses/skirts! I don't own any.

24. Kilts are cool. Unfortunately I'm only like 1/10 Scottish so I have no claim to them. :(

25. Personality-wise, Hisame. Unit-wise, Velouria and Kiragi nearly always turn out awesome for me. Kiragi had some insane growths the past Birthright & Rev runs I did.

21: Cool, my uncle did some research, and the notable things were my male line traces back to the Normans, but apart from a last name with a bit of history, doesn't give much a thousand years later. My Scottish blood comes from clan Leslie, which I guess was a bit of a force. Longevity is nice, I had two great to the x grandmothers live past 90 in the 1800's. The men weren't as lucky in general, but a lot of them were coal miners, which cuts the years down a bit.

22: I'd like to visit more of the UK someday. I visited back in 2004, but only got to see London.

23: Petticoats are one of my guilty pleasures. I have about a dozen in my collection. Although, usually, I just dress up around the house, since I'm too embarrassed to wear them in public.

24: I'm not much more Scottish than you, but I do have stubborn red leg hair, that I think comes from that part of my family. To be honest, I'm a European mutt, with English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, German, Austrian, and Lithuanian, so if I didn't cheat to celebrate my heritage, I wouldn't be pure enough to claim anything.

25: Cool, I love Kiragi.

I love London but it's a world apart from the rest of the isle. There're two Englands: London, and not-London. I do heartily recommend visiting again! I've been pretty much over the entire U.K. and there's a lot of beauty.

My great-grandfather was in the coal mining industry but as a foreman, so he was rarely down the actual mines!

You should totally wear the petticoats! Honestly right now I'm too heavy to look good in a petticoat; I think I'd look too much like a cream puff. Anya looks adorable in puffy skirts though! I've always wanted to make/wear a Victorian outfit.

I didn't mean to imply people can't claim their heritage; I would just personally feel uncomfortable doing so because of the English/Scottish dynamic. If I were American and not English it'd be very different.

7: Favorite final map theme in a FE game?

8: You stated earlier that your tastes were not always common when it comes to video games. What obscure games and franchises do you like?

9. If I told you about a PS2 video game inspired by Harry Potter, would you be interested?

6. What fossil Pokemon do you want next?

7. Do you have any interest in alternate history?

8. So if you don't like any President from the past, by virtue, probably, of racism, why do you like Boudicca?

9. What moment from history would you most like to witness?

10. Do you think " Not the essay Gotham deserves, but the one it needs" is a good title for an essay about the Dark Knight Trilogy?

7: Favorite final map theme in a FE game?

8: You stated earlier that your tastes were not always common when it comes to video games. What obscure games and franchises do you like?

9. If I told you about a PS2 video game inspired by Harry Potter, would you be interested?

7. Theme as in music or... (apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm pretty tired and not thinking straight!)

8. Hmm, my tastes aren't so much uncommon as I tend to like the least popular ones in popular series. For example, my favorite Rockstar game is Bully. My favourite Mass Effect game is probably the first. I prefer Fates to Awakening. ;)

I'm trying to think of more uncommon games... I have the impression the Broken Sword series wasn't that popular in the U.S. That series was my first love and introduction to video games and I backed the last installment on Kickstarter. I also think Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines doesn't get talked about as much as it should. (I would say Ghost Trick, too, only Thane does a really great job of promoting that game on these forums).

I don't play that many games because I prefer to really get into the few that I do play. My favourite games I have sunk hundreds of hours into (this year I have 500+ hrs in Fates). Whereas my husband has over 2,000 games easily, including many indie games, but he rarely plays any of them for more than a few hours.

9. Potentially! I play almost solely mobile games these days because of the flexibility (I can play them while putting the kids to bed, for example).

6. What fossil Pokemon do you want next?

7. Do you have any interest in alternate history?

8. So if you don't like any President from the past, by virtue, probably, of racism, why do you like Boudicca?

9. What moment from history would you most like to witness?

10. Do you think " Not the essay Gotham deserves, but the one it needs" is a good title for an essay about the Dark Knight Trilogy?

6. Pass; I really don't know enough about Pokémon to say!

7. Yes! I haven't read much, though.

8. Well, it's also that I don't know that many presidents past the better known ones. ;) I love history, just more interested in social history! Anyway, it's because she spearheaded an uprising against the Roman Empire and impressed the Romans enough that their historians paint a somewhat flattering portrait of her, but at the same time nothing else is really known about her, so it enables her to pass into near-mythological status. (Also it should be mentioned that her army did horrific things to the Romans, so admittedly a contentious choice).

9. If we're talking a single moment, being present at the Battle of Hastings would be pretty meaningful, given it's probably the most important date in British history (also Battle itself is not far from where I grew up!). Otherwise, I'd love to just take a stroll through Ancient Rome (Ostia, too). I wrote my dissertation (it wasn't terribly long, my architecture degree placed a heavier emphasis on design) on Trajan's forum.

10. It's definitely better than any I'd be able to come up with! Titles were always my least favourite part of essay writing.

7. Theme as in music or... (apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm pretty tired and not thinking straight!)

8. Hmm, my tastes aren't so much uncommon as I tend to like the least popular ones in popular series. For example, my favorite Rockstar game is Bully. My favourite Mass Effect game is probably the first. I prefer Fates to Awakening. ;)

I'm trying to think of more uncommon games... I have the impression the Broken Sword series wasn't that popular in the U.S. That series was my first love and introduction to video games and I backed the last installment on Kickstarter. I also think Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines doesn't get talked about as much as it should. (I would say Ghost Trick, too, only Thane does a really great job of promoting that game on these forums).

I don't play that many games because I prefer to really get into the few that I do play. My favourite games I have sunk hundreds of hours into (this year I have 500+ hrs in Fates). Whereas my husband has over 2,000 games easily, including many indie games, but he rarely plays any of them for more than a few hours.

9. Potentially! I play almost solely mobile games these days because of the flexibility (I can play them while putting the kids to bed, for example).

7. Yeah, I had music in mind.

8. I didn't think of it like that.

9.Huh. Well, do you play your PS3 often?

(BTW, the Super Smash Bros. games don't play like traditional fighting games)

7. Yeah, I had music in mind.

8. I didn't think of it like that.

9.Huh. Well, do you play your PS3 often?

(BTW, the Super Smash Bros. games don't play like traditional fighting games)

26: Opinion on facial hair?

27: Favorite Disney movie?

28: What are your kids' favorite TV shows?

29: Have you been to any parts of America other than California?

30: Have you played the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate, and if so, what did you think of them?