Undertale

Cerbuirus

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised you guys have been referring to [charactername] as male, they look a lot more like a girl imo.

Did Toby confirm it or something?

Nope, and chances are, he never will. It's supposed to be left up to interpretation. I don't really think of them as a specific gender all the time, although I agree that they look more feminine

also you said the name that should probably be a spoiler considering you only learn it at the very end of the game

Edited by maybe

I mean, default names for characters in RPGs aren't typically spoilers. What would definitely be spoilerriffic, however, would be

[spoiler=this.]noting the difference between Frisk and Chara.

This being said, yes, they were certainly made intentionally gender-ambiguous. This is why I opt for "they" pronouns when referring to them.

Nah, one of them is kinda jumpscary but they're more subtle scary than jumpscary. Which terrifies me way more than jumpscares. None of them have the melty face, so don't worry about that.

If you count the red eyes and creepy as hell laugh as "subtle scary", then yes. I certainly didn't like to see it at midnight.

The other isn't jumpscary, but the song and the picture are really nightmarish.

On neutral routes after a genocide route:

Does Chara manifest themselves in that route, like they do in the pacifist route?

Another genocide route thought:

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of fights, like Mettaton NEO (?) and Asgore, since the former received a stronger form (and an awesome theme, if not repetitive) and the latter was said to absorb the six souls of the fallen kids, but he seems weaker and too reluctant to fight the child who's been terrorising his kingdom. Also, not being able to face Chara, even in a hopeless boss battle, was disappointing. There should've been an option where Chara is suppressed (in a boss battle as hard as Sans), the world is reset and the endings aren't tainted anymore.

Also, my bad for it. I could swear I had seen somewhere in the game where it mentions the player character is a boy, but I'm probably wrong.

Will there ever be a hard mode?

Will there ever be a hard mode?

There are a lot of easter eggs in the name selection screen, depending on the names you input. A "hard mode demo" is among them.

(Be forewarned that looking up a list of easter egg names may be somewhat spoilery; you-know-who from true pacifist brings up a silent objection, for instance.)

Edited by Tamarsamar

For the record, the character's gender is ambiguous. Everyone in the game refers to you as "they" or "their."

I think that's pretty neat.

They do this for Napstablook and Chara too! Pretty cool.

Also I'm streaming this game on my twitch around 7pm EST tonight. (4pm PST)

http://www.twitch.tv/0chocolachao0

All of my yes. But no really I can't defeat this boss holy.

I'm surprised you guys have been referring to the main character as male, they look a lot more like a girl imo.

Did Toby confirm it or something?

To be fair the only thing that you can really say makes them look feminine is their hair, and that's not much. They're a child, most children don't really look either sex when they're young. My actual issue is the fact that they have a canon name, as with Chara. Especially since the name in question sounds rather masculine if you ask me.

They do this for Napstablook and Chara too! Pretty cool.

I actually felt terrible when I realized that Napstablook was never referred to as male yet I called them as such the entire game.

About the player character

I thought they were a boy because of the name, Frisk, but at first I thought they were a girl.

I think their sex depends on what the player wants it to be, since Toby said we're supposed to name them after our own (which I never do). Schrodinger's Gender issues.

Also, to incentivate discussion, which parts were the best in the game?

(Waterfall spoilers)

napstablook and the player character chilling in the ground, feeling like garbage and seeing the cosmos

always happens to me

So apparently, when dr. gaster 'split up' as part of his failed experiment, two big pieces of him took the form of sans and papyrus.

Sans representing his intelligence, and papyrus representing his self-esteem and ambition.

He was a skeleton too, apparently. Sort of a goat skeleton. Like that goat head thing in the true laboratory.

Whoa, I didn't know this.

I figured W.D Gaster was a skeleton as well, since Sans and Papyrus are also skeletons named after their fonts, but where'd you figure out the Sans/Papyrus thing?

So apparently, when dr. gaster 'split up' as part of his failed experiment, two big pieces of him took the form of sans and papyrus.

Sans representing his intelligence, and papyrus representing his self-esteem and ambition.

He was a skeleton too, apparently. Sort of a goat skeleton. Like that goat head thing in the true laboratory.

What the hell? Who is Dr. Gaster? I didn't see or hear any mention of a Dr. Gaster when I watched the LP.

That's saddening. I now wish Papyrus and Sans were unique beings, not fractions of one person... :(

EDIT: I just read that Reddit leak. Thank god it is just a theory, though a pretty good one.

Edited by Leif

I actually felt terrible when I realized that Napstablook was never referred to as male yet I called them as such the entire game.

Yeah I didn't notice until like my second playthrough! I always refer to him as male!.

Also regarding that Gaster theory, I always believed Gaster wasa brother or father of Papyrus and Sans. I never thought about Gaster being split into the two!

But the Grey NPCs..... didn't they say gaster fell into his creation and was split across time and space or something??? I'll admit I'm pretty kerfuffled in his existence too and I am furiously wanting more info on this guy!

Yeah I didn't notice until like my second playthrough! I always refer to him as male!.

Also regarding that Gaster theory, I always believed Gaster wasa brother or father of Papyrus and Sans. I never thought about Gaster being split into the two!

But the Grey NPCs..... didn't they say gaster fell into his creation and was split across time and space or something??? I'll admit I'm pretty kerfuffled in his existence too and I am furiously wanting more info on this guy!

From what I know, he was involved in some sort of horrible accident and is now in the game's code. You can look into the code (I think?) and find a cut NPC who tells you about him iirc. His last line is something along the lines of "Well, I shouldn't gossip. After all, it's rude to talk about someone who's listening."

As far as I know, one of the or the only thing the game itself tells you about him is the river person, whos says 'Beware the man who speaks in hands', which is referring to wing dings, W.D Gaster's font.

Thanks for sharing that Shezzy, I didn't know a lot of what they said. I want to know as much about this dude as possible.

From what I know, he was involved in some sort of horrible accident and is now in the game's code. You can look into the code (I think?) and find a cut NPC who tells you about him iirc. His last line is something along the lines of "Well, I shouldn't gossip. After all, it's rude to talk about someone who's listening."

As far as I know, one of the or the only thing the game itself tells you about him is the river person, whos says 'Beware the man who speaks in hands', which is referring to wing dings, W.D Gaster's font.

Thanks for sharing that Shezzy, I didn't know a lot of what they said. I want to know as much about this dude as possible.

Some people suggest that the amalgamations you fight in the true lab could be Dr. Gaster..

Some people suggest that the amalgamations you fight in the true lab could be Dr. Gaster..

I feel like that's wrong. They're just reconstructions of dead things Alphys tried to bring back, iirc.

Edited by Draco

I just finished reading literally everything and like wow. It gave me shivers down my spine. I knew most of the facts about Sans..... except for the fact that even Sans still manages to find a way to remember somethings even after a True Reset.

It's crazy that the events beofre a True Reset still has happened, and his speech during a Genocide gives a lot more impact about his dreadful situation. Especially since he seems to be the only one that can remember it.

I also never knew there was a fifth Grey NPC (The Donut Guy) and woah.... The key to literally everything in this game is W.D Gaster and he's not even physically here to tell us stuff!

Also thank you guys who watched my stream today!! I'll be continuing on streaming more Undertale like around Tuesday! I'll keep you guys informed.

Edited by ChocolaChao

neither, Ghouliday is far superior

Chill is the secret of life, the universe and everything.

Also, is the song that plays in the end of the genocide route

and post-genocide route runs, for that matter, the battle theme slowed down by 400%?

Edited by Rapier

There was a theory going around that every song that appears in Undertale gameplay is the same song played at different speeds and soundfonts. While this is a gross exaggeration (I don't think any of the other songs have remotely the same sequences as Megalovania, for starters), once you notice that you can link, for example, Dogsong with both the first encounter theme and with Temmie Village, you will start to wonder whether or not you can count the number of unique tracks on one hand.

BTW, Spooktunes are dead.

Edited by Tamarsamar

I finished Undertale today myself and although I had a lot of criticisms towards the gameplay, I really do appreciate the characters, story and music.

It's weird because for me, I have to distance myself from the gameplay to really enjoy the story and characters. And by gameplay, I mean the battle system. I really really did not like the battle system.

Like, to me, it felt like the battle system ruined some of the experience for me in a way? I just found it so gruelling and frustrating that there were many moments where I didn't want to play anymore.

But idk, that might actually end up being part of the message behind the game. Sometimes in life you have to do things that you don't like or aren't comfortable with to see more and proceed. You just have to suck it up, you know?

Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good game! Even though I personally didn't enjoy it as much as I'd thought, it deserves all the praise and recognition it's getting.

I'm one of the rare cases that liked the battle system. I'm kind of fond of bullet hells, and the dynamic fights (dodging bullets, acting and getting reactions from monsters) were enjoyable to me, since they break the monotonous cycle of grinding. I think I like it more that way than if it was a plain RPG like the Mother series.

Edited by Rapier

That's true. I do appreciate that the developer came up with a different twist to contrast the usual RPG battle formula to give players a different experience.

...Bullet hells just give me a headache, hahaha. (It felt like I was playing a really tame version of Touhou)

Hmm, I'm surprised people think the gameplay is too tough. I haven't played many bullet hells but for the most part I think the # of bullets on the screen is not bullet hell level intensity. There are exceptions of course (some bosses).

Edited by Severian