Favorite characters in all of fiction

blah the Prussian

So tell me, my fellow forumites, who is your favorite character ever and why. For me, it would be Howard Campbell, JR. from Mother Night. I think he is quite frankly the most heroic character in fiction because he sacrifices literally everything- his legacy, his reputation, and eventually his life- to help defeat Nazi Germany. He does this by going undercover in Germany as an American Nazi, and spying for the CIA. However, no one outside the CIA is ever told he is a spy, so for the rest of his life he's considered a Nazi. He also was almost certainly the inspiration for Snape. Fiction BTW includes basically any form of storytelling. So, have at it.

Well I mean

I don't keep using Thor Odinson as a handle for years if he wasn't my favorite person, I could go into detail but that'd be a huge meta

Also Jotaro Kujo, fucker's gotta be the most relatable (to me) character I've ever encountered in...anything really like, a lot of people call him boring because they don't pick up on the subtleties of his characterization but it was very easy for me because a lot of things he does I also do and I can see exactly where his character comes from and it was just like, wow this guy is basically me but 6'5" and has an invisible punchghost in a loincloth. I think Thor barely edges out Jotaro, but they're close enough

There's also Sun Wukong, for being my childhood hero. I grew up on Journey to the West and Wukong actually shaped the way I speak (in Chinese) and was a huge influence on my early years.

Honorable mentions to Ezio, Sirius Black, and Ayra.

This pic ought to answer the question. :)

can_you_guess_them__by_great_aether-d4ud

Top row: Ike (Fire Emblem), Luigi (Super Mario), Scooby Doo and Shaggy Rodgers (Scooby Doo, Where Are You?), Kieran (Fire Emblem), Ezlo (The Legend of Zelda)

Bottom row: Vaati (The Legend of Zelda), Mr. L (Paper Mario), Joey Wheeler (Yu-Gi-Oh), Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony), Cilan (Pokemon)

I filled this out before Awakening came out here though, so it lacks Frederick. He would most certainly be there otherwise. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

L from Death Note (I find him even better than Light), Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass, Tyrion Lannister and probably many others that I forgot about right now.

Oh, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure deserves its own paragraph: Joseph Joestar leading the wagon, followed by Dio, Giorno, Bruno Bucciaratti, Jotaro, Polnareff, Kira Yoshikage (who I think is even better than Dio in his gambits, except.... well, on the part he fails miserably by the end of part 4) and Whammu.

From all these, I think I prefer Lelouch. Yes, I like magnificent bastard characters full of ambition and the wits to turn them into reality, they are fascinating.

Edited by Rapier

Ohh let us travel back to the depository of mine favorite characters. Ohhh boy....

We got ourselves a lot of various weirdos in here. Theres Magus from Chrono Trigger being all bamf over here leaning on his scythe. Wow, so edgy.

On the right, we got Louis Creed from Pet Sematary being all insane over there, cleaning off grave dirt on his shoes. Hey, careful with that shovel, mate.

Not far from him, we see Armand from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles being all broody and shit. Standing next to him is Marius from the same series. Oh how i ship it.

Severus Snape from Harry Potter is in the corner being all Snape. Probably brewing something gnarly in that cauldron. Soren from FE Tellius peaking in the cauldron and giving an approving sniff. Loki from Marvel is cackling at everybody because shit's just so funny, you know? But Egon Spengler has a logical quip at the ready, and that makes Krelian from Xenogears laugh. Elly from the same game seems really shocked that that guy is laughing at all. (and backs away slowly) Dunban from Xenoblade, Funboy from the Crow (film and graphic novel), John Murdoch from the movie, Dark City, Arya Stark from ASOIAF, and her big brother Jon Snow, and Adam and Eve from Only Lovers Left Alive are just having a good time. Florina from FE7 is singing the Pegasus Counting Song.

I have a lot of favorites. So very many. Thats not even all of them. Theres that other door in the depository of favorite characters....

With a gun up to my head, I pick Thursday Next from Jasper Fforde's main series (the Thursday Next files). There's just something about a badass mom who doubles as a literary detective inside books who can be foul mouthed and obscene whenever she wants.

Top Ten because too many to choose from ahhhh

Daenerys Targayren: Game of Thrones

Gaius/Matthew: Fire Emblem

Johan Liebert: Monster

Theodore Decker: The Goldfinch

Nathan Drake: Uncharted

Samus Aran: Metroid

Locke and Celes: FF6

I could make an extremely long list, but I'll just highlight a few favorites.

DBZ: Goku, Goten, Yamcha, Bardock

Fire Emblem: Edward, Cain, Avatar (Awakening)

Death Note: Light Yagami

Zelda: Link

Code Geass: Lelouch Lamperouge

Yu Yu Hakasho: Kurama, Yusuke

Yugioh: Bakura

SAO: Kirito

Assassin's Creed: Ezio

Naruto: Gaara, Minato, Kakkashi

Bleach: Renji

Blood Lad: Staz, Braz

Psyren: Aghea

Edited by SSbardock84

The Emperor of Mankind, our lord and our savior. May his light shows us the way and destroys our foes. Now, goes burn some heretics, mutants and filthy xenos for The Emperor!

Edited by Magical CC

The Emperor of Mankind, our lord and our savior. May his light shows us the way and destroys our foes. Now, goes burn some heretics, mutants and filthy xenos for The Emperor!

Yes, Your Imperial Majesty! After starting LOGH, I'm going to have to add Rienhard von Loengramm. There's something extremely novel about a protagonist who wins entirely by his brilliant strategic mind, and he seems to be Napoleon crossed with Frederick the Great. He is definitely the most unique protagonist I've ever seen. Also, Job Truniht is a great villain.

Wander from Shadow of the Colossus.

I mean, he risks his life by taking on 16 colossal beasts and still having to pay a price for it when it's all said and done just to resurrect one girl.

That's serious dedication.

Nirgal and Ann Clayborne from Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.

The main character, last leader of the pans, and the main character's final love interest from Anvil of the Stars. I can't remember any of their names.

Tony Chopper from One Piece.

Serpico from Berserk (makes it on the merit of his fights with with Guts alone).

Odysseus, Arachne and Daedelus from greek mythology.

(as far as Daedelus goes, specifically the chapter with him and Icarus in The Metamorphoses. My favorite Arachne story was in a kid's book of greek myths, where her work is judged as superior to Athena's before she is turned into a spider).

Every character I can think of in the first chronicles of thomas covenant, but especially Mhoram.

That guy in one of Borges's short stories who plans on reproducing Don Quixote on his own.