Communication... Is hard.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[7:59:49 AM] Lenh: Arch vs. Errant, tomorrow!
[8:01:24 AM] (Arch): I'll diss myself so hard, your socks will fall off!
[8:01:52 AM] Lenh: yes!
[8:04:13 AM] ErrantShepherd: arch you gonna make me cry?
[8:04:27 AM] ErrantShepherd beckons
[8:04:41 AM] ErrantShepherd: bring it!
[8:04:48 AM] ErrantShepherd: lol
[8:07:22 AM] ErrantShepherd: ...damn now I feel like actually recording stuff

[8:12:40 AM] ErrantShepherd: Arch vs Errant 2016
[8:13:03 AM] ErrantShepherd: who can give more back to community
[8:13:15 AM] ErrantShepherd: NICE off!
[8:14:04 AM] Lenh: Turnips everywhere
[8:14:04 AM] ErrantShepherd: I will say you are doing a fantastic job mutha effer
[8:14:09 AM] ErrantShepherd: lol yes

[8:14:24 AM] Lenh: Arch has already given a ton, that'll be hard to beat, Errant
[8:14:38 AM] ErrantShepherd: Arch and Errant have a complimentary competition
[8:14:57 AM] (Arch): lols :)
[8:15:03 AM] ErrantShepherd: I will out nice you, you bastard!
[8:15:08 AM] ErrantShepherd: lol

[8:16:47 AM] ErrantShepherd: Arch... He's A magnificent bastard!
[8:17:24 AM] ErrantShepherd: he makes me happy about this community and hopeful about what we can acheive
[8:17:42 AM] ErrantShepherd: balls in your court Arch ;)
[8:17:55 AM] ErrantShepherd: serve it up!

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

both start with C? Close enough?

California and BC are like cousins. We love Californians, great weather. Great people! ;)

Question is what should the rules of engagement be here? Need some great ideas for this competition. :D

Here are some of mine...But I am certain Arch has some really good ones. ;)

-Compliments competition? Don't talk smack, or talk down, talk about what makes your competitor AWESOME? XD (live comp version, first one to repeat a compliment or have related thought loses: single words that describe your fellow? Nicely?)

-Good deed off? Help out as many Serenes people with their issues in your area of expertise (spriting/hacking/concepts etc) within one week. Most people helped wins. Volunteers sign up to get help, and are assigned to either Errant or Arch. One's falling into a category outside, or in overlapping areas will be randomly split between Errant and Arch?

-The silver Lining? Errant and Arch take a look at some stuff that needs work(games, hacks, something?) And try to come up with as many suggestions to fix it as possible, or why it isn't too bad after all... Perhaps?

*suggests a YouTube video series for these competitions*

Up for it bud? Could be really good, Arch... Or at least a hell of a lot of fun? ;) :p

I second the YouTube option. Let THE WORLD know about this! :P:

As for how. . .uh, how 'bout giving the new guys some practical advice, whether it be hacking, spriting, general FE stuff. . .whatever?

I'm a Californian, actually.

...well...there's one Canadian still.

California and BC are like cousins. We love Californians, great weather. Great people! ;)

Here are some of mine...But I am certain Arch has some really good ones. ;)

Geeze. could your behavior be any more cloying?

-Compliments competition? Don't talk smack, or talk down, talk about what makes your competitor AWESOME? XD (live comp version, first one to repeat a compliment or have related thought loses: single words that describe your fellow? Nicely?)

-Good deed off? Help out as many Serenes people with their issues in your area of expertise (spriting/hacking/concepts etc) within one week. Most people helped wins. Volunteers sign up to get help, and are assigned to either Errant or Arch. One's falling into a category outside, or in overlapping areas will be randomly split between Errant and Arch?

-The silver Lining? Errant and Arch take a look at some stuff that needs work(games, hacks, something?) And try to come up with as many suggestions to fix it as possible, or why it isn't too bad after all... Perhaps?

*suggests a YouTube video series for these competitions*

Up for it bud? Could be really good, Arch... Or at least a hell of a lot of fun? ;) :p

Why not everything? All on youtube, of course.

Take the literal worst hacks of all time and try to find the most redeeming qualities.

I like this

That idea has some good potential. I like it... You up for it Arch? :)

that awkward moment when you realize not everyone gets your in-joke with a bud and thinks you're just some random kiss-ass :\

I second the YouTube option. Let THE WORLD know about this! :P:As for how. . .uh, how 'bout giving the new guys some practical advice, whether it be hacking, spriting, general FE stuff. . .whatever?

Good suggestions, thanks Eclipse! :)

Maybe ground rules should be... We have to be sincere? No BS compliments/actions? ...'cause that would be fake nice? ;)

True that.

Was thinking about things. It does seem... Kinda weird to promote/give airtime to poorly done hacks, when some of our really good stuff doesn't get much recognition... Outside of the Fangame forums I guess.

Maybe we could frame it with comparisons? Good Hack, Bad Hack, (food hack, rad hack?)

Like... What is good in the community as well? What should we be talking up? Besides trying to find the diamond in the rough...

Fake nice is just another name for using sarcasm to be mean.

True that.

Was thinking about things. It does seem... Kinda weird to promote/give airtime to poorly done hacks, when some of our really good stuff doesn't get much recognition... Outside of the Fangame forums I guess.

Maybe we could frame it with comparisons? Good Hack, Bad Hack, (food hack, rad hack?)

Like... What is good in the community as well? What should we be talking up? Besides trying to find the diamond in the rough...

Why not just talk about everything? All the hacks which don't get enough attention or never got enough attention, give 'em some attention, be constructive, you know, nice people things. I mean, technically no one asked you, so...ask permission before doing your nice critiques? It could be taken as not very nice otherwise.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

can you really say there is a difference between fake nice and real nice if your intent is to facilitate a more pleasant and open discussion?

/me forces a smile

Fake nice is just another name for using sarcasm to be mean.

Not necessarily. It can also be motivated by flattery, either to ingratiate oneself, or out of a genuine desire to avoid hurting the other party's feelings and perhaps even to make them feel better about themselves. Maybe other things too.

can you really say there is a difference between fake nice and real nice if your intent is to facilitate a more pleasant and open discussion?

Not necessarily. It can also be motivated by flattery, either to ingratiate oneself, or out of a genuine desire to avoid hurting the other party's feelings and perhaps even to make them feel better about themselves. Maybe other things too.

Those are legitamately good points. But they contradict me so I'm going to ignore them.

Even then though, what you're saying is either motivated by a desire to improve the discussion or not offend, which is nice. Unless you do it to, as Severian said, flatter, which...isn't very nice? I don't man...