people that talk to themselves creep me out

Ansem

We're all a little strange (read: insane) OP.

Sometimes when I'm fuming mad I will do it.

Alternatively, as Integ says, they might be schizophrenic or have some other condition.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes talk to myself when practicing Arabic (even just the sounds). So not only do people sometimes give me funny looks, but they don't even understand me.

Yeah, well, there are "studies" that claim this and that, and then go ahead and claim the very contrary about a week later. So excuse me if I don't actually buy that!

This is why I linked two sources with a large datemark range of 5 years.

Also, there are definitely studies that are worth the doubt, but that's not an excuse to dismiss them in the broader sense.

Edited by Interest

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of the word "habit"~ Let me enlighten you.

Sneezing is not a habit, it is a reflex, but sneezing gives a warning that it's about to happen and it's a feeling that pretty much immediately jumps to the front of your mind (at least ime), so if you don't want to sneeze/don't like sneezing, you have a warning to try and stop it (unless, obviously, you're somebody who doesn't want to stop it or the sneeze is too strong/fast to stop). When it comes to habits, you don't pay enough notice to them and sometimes it takes a while for your brain to register what you're currently doing/have been doing unless you've actually been thinking about it at the time (like "man I wish I would stop talking to myself"). But even then, not everybody is quick on the catch.

It's the exact same as people who habitually tap their fingers, scratch their neck, bite their fingernails, etc. You don't think to rein it in unless it's on your mind at the time. And not everybody obsessively thinks 24/7 about their habits~

I'm sure something as easy as not talking to yourself (outloud) in public is pretty easy to, you know, not do. Something like playing with your thumbs is a lot more subtle and easier to hold on to.

I'm sure something as easy as not talking to yourself (outloud) in public is pretty easy to, you know, not do. Something like playing with your thumbs is a lot more subtle and easier to hold on to.

Well you'd be surprised! I'm actually pretty surprised myself that you never understood how habits work this long in your life, whether from yourself or from others.

I think people probably do typically talk to themselves less often in public, but habits still always catch people off guard when they aren't paying enough attention to themselves.

And yeah it is less subtle than twiddling your thumbs and I think people who talk to themselves can hear themselves fine, but I think it's that they don't always realize what they're doing, even though they can hear themselves talking...

Though I still don't think that's all that different from somebody feeling themselves biting their nails just fine, but it still doesn't occur to them straight away that they're doing a bad habit.

Like last night integrity posts in here saying I'm "speaking to twilight princess"...... actually, I think I only have that habit when somebody is around me... like in my mind it's my way of sharing what's going on with somebody else >u> But yeah I could hear myself perfect fine when I was doing that, but it never occurred to me that I was doing something that might bother/amuse ike so I didn't think to stop myself. Even if I had realized so, I'm sure I would have accidentally slipped sometimes anyway, because that's how habits work.

dictionary.com

"an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary"

one of merriam-webster's many definitions

"b : an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary"

the free dictionary

"a. A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition"

I could keep going on, but hopefully that gives you a better picture by now already

Edited by Freohr Datia