What is your least favorite Fire Emblem game?

Lantairu

144 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite game

• Dark Dragon Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • IF/Fates
    • Love them all!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were cool jedi ;~;

Sorry to disappoint!

Now while I say that, I do enjoy Sacred Stones, my wording was how I see it compared to the rest of the series, which I have played all of apart from Fates as of right now.

I understand how you could say it's dull but what do you mean by not intuitive?

Seth exists yet they introduce trainees, among other questionable choices.

They pull the Gaiden aspects, but don't fully split Eirika and Ephraims routes and have both playable, and its much shorter then the usual FE's. I dno I just felt like it dropped the ball in a lot of aspects.

Out of the ones i've played (Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance which I never got to finish, Shadow Dragon and Awakening.), Awakening.

I actually don't think Awakening is a bad game. The fanbase is another thing, but I had a really good time with Awakening. I did a Hard-Classic play through first time and I really loved it, especially the Valm arc. The game's really easy now that I'm replaying it again, but it was my first time playing FE so it was hard to me.

But it's still the worst out of the ones i've played. The story is really generic and bleh, the game's either too easy or poorly designed difficulty (Priam's Prologue and Lunatic+.), and there are so many unnecessary supports that have no reason to exist. It's just not as good as the older ones.

Seth exists yet they introduce trainees, among other questionable choices.

They pull the Gaiden aspects, but don't fully split Eirika and Ephraims routes and have both playable, and its much shorter then the usual FE's. I dno I just felt like it dropped the ball in a lot of aspects.

That makes sense, though I think the shorter story is because of the tower/creature campaign.

A full Eirika/Ephraim route split would have been cool though.

Gaiden is the one I have the least fun playing, and the fact that it somehow managed to be a step down from FE1 in some areas just confuses me.

Out of those I have played, Shadow Dragon. IMHO, it just lacks the appeal that other FE games have. I also consider it the worst thing I've ever played.

If that's the worst thing you've played then I must say I quite envy you.

Lol, didn't know people hated Awakening THAT much.

Well, no one's post really implied that they hated it. It has the most votes, but I'm assuming that's mostly just because people enjoyed it less than other games. That's why I voted for it, anyway.

I'm not a fan of Thracia's stupid difficulty, and lack of an easy mode for scrubs like me. FE1 I actually got into playing again recently and it's actually not that bad, though the inventory system is hella stupid.

I'm more surprised we haven't seen any votes for FE3 and FE6. I hear plenty of complaints about them but apparently they aren't enough to make them "least favorite" material.

honestly I probably would've voted for FE6 if I had actually finished it

FE1 sucks, playing a strategy game with four available buttons is a nightmare and I can't even get into it. For the same reason it's hard to get into Gaiden, but it has a lot of unique mechanics and it hasn't been remade yet to invalidate its existence. Neither game I've played enough to give a solid opinion of though, so I won't choose them.

Now, there isn't really any game I dislike entirely, some games that do certain things wrong do some things right. If I had to choose the one that does the most things wrong for me though, it'd be FE6. To me, it has the worst story of any FE game, and it has no excuse for it. Its game balance is weird, you get tons of fun-looking characters, but many of them are useless, and some only have niches, however, there isn't any really broken unit except for Rutger. There's a lot of weird game design decisions, like deciding to promote Roy near the last chapter and he's not even given a new outfit, a final boss that can be slain in a single round of battle, and weapons that hit much less often than they should (I don't care if it's because the enemies have higher speed or whatever, it's still an issue). That being said, it did introduce the GBA graphic style, it has some really fun moments, and Roy is awesome in Smash Bros. I can't really hate the game that much.

Now, there isn't really any game I dislike entirely, some games that do certain things wrong do some things right. If I had to choose the one that does the most things wrong for me though, it'd be FE6. To me, it has the worst story of any FE game, and it has no excuse for it.

I'm curious to know what makes you put this game's story below say, Gaiden(the worst story imo, though I suppose this one has more of an excuse), RD, or Awakening.

I'm curious to know what makes you put this game's story below say, Gaiden(the worst story imo, though I suppose this one has more of an excuse), RD, or Awakening.

Well, I discount Gaiden because it's an NES game, there are plenty of limitations that the console has that few games could overcome. I actually like Radiant Dawn, up until part 4. The parts where your armies are fighting each other are some of the best moments of the game, and many of the characters all have great personalities and its twists keep you entertained up until part 4 where everything comes to sluggish speed, but there's enough good moments to make it fun. Awakening is closer to Binding Blade, but at least Awakening doesn't feel like it's a complete retread of earlier games. FE6 feels like it's combining FE1 and 3 into a single game, changing the names of its characters and keeping nothing of what made those ones good (or at least decent). Roy just seems like he's being dragged along the continent, fighting wars because people tell him too, other FE characters seem to at least have motivations behind their actions, whether it to be to save a homeland, a sister, or get vengeance. You could argue Roy wants to keep his homeland safe, but he rarely ever comments on it.

Edited by Knight

Been playing every Fire Emblem since Blazing Sword and as such, nostalgia may be a big factor in my vote. That said, Awakening's probably my least favorite.

I don't know exactly why that is, but so far it's the only Fire Emblem title I've been struggling to finish...and not due to difficulty, but rather lack of interest.

I didn't dislike the game though, as odd as that sounds. Just not what I'd expect from a FE game with so much hype behind it.

I also happen to loathe the marriage/children system.

Awakening is closer to Binding Blade, but at least Awakening doesn't feel like it's a complete retread of earlier games. FE6 feels like it's combining FE1 and 3 into a single game, changing the names of its characters and keeping nothing of what made those ones good (or at least decent). Roy just seems like he's being dragged along the continent, fighting wars because people tell him too, other FE characters seem to at least have motivations behind their actions, whether it to be to save a homeland, a sister, or get vengeance. You could argue Roy wants to keep his homeland safe, but he rarely ever comments on it.

You know, there is a game tha combines FE1 and 3, it's called Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. In all seriousness though, I do agree with you on how a lord character needs good motivations

I always felt Roy's motivations were clear cut that he didn't want dear old daddy Eli fighting another war while seriously ill, but I will admit he doesn't comment on this beyond the first chapter and occasionally in supports, so I can see how one could miss reaching that conclusion.

FE6 does have the problem of trying to combine FE1 and 3 into 1 game, but I give it a pass since I feel it does a much better job of it than Mystery of the Emblem, which actually does do this with it's Book set up.

If that's the worst thing you've played then I must say I quite envy you.

It felt rather dull and unintuitive to me. And I'm confused by how IS could've set the bar so low despite waiting nearly 2 decades between the original and the remake... It's also one of the few games I sold, which is saying something. I felt it was just that bad.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Subjectively it's FE11, because it has almost no story and no character presentation. The game can be done in one day easily.

However it must be noted that it's a remake of the very first game. And it was intended not to change these things.

And this game features a few things the original didn't have:

• sidequests with new units (even if the requirement to get them is just stupid)
  • weapon weight of the Tellius series (bad for mages because they don't have strength growth)
  • ballistician class with different types of ballistas (great idea)

Objectively it's FE13, because it did two steps in the wrong direction. So many things were removed:

• ballistas
  • weapon weight
  • light magic
  • lots of staves
  • stealing
  • lots of mission objectives

This game was simplified a lot, which pissed me off. I loved the complexity of FE with their huge variety of game mechanics.

A bad implemented pair-up-system and the poorly balanced difficulties couldn't replace all these removed mechanics at all.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach