That moment in games you thought you couldnt get out alive.

The_Vernster

So today I actually was playing New Vegas for the third time and I got to the part where I had to visit one of the Great Khans. Not gonna say why cause spoilers. Anyway the only way to get there is to go through Deathclaw territory and I was still at a relatively low level so I was scared of doing this. I took the Vault 19 route which usually is the best route but that route was invested with Deathclaws so I tried to sneak, I didn't have a Stealth Boy with me so I just had to cross my fingers. On the way I got spotted and then the Deathclaws were on top of me and I couldn't outrun them so I just spam fired my Service Rifle in hopes I could maybe survive. I had Arcade Gannon and EDE as companions and for some reason they were doing a ton of damage to them and I just kept firing at the Deathclaws. Eventually I did come out of that situation alive with a ton of Deathclaws at my feet. Arcade and EDE didn't even go unconsious which was what really surprised me.

Below is an image of the aftermath of the encounter. I honestly had my heart racing at the end. Still am.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/387666306424311426/C1CCED382B789E4A9AAA963B8B5E81BEB62AF3BD/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black

So what were you lucky breaks in games?

Edited by The_Vernster

I got cocky with this song (warning: it's a bit loud):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-c41rGNyU

This video shows normal gauge - you need 80% or more to pass, but you don't fail if it empties, AND you can refill it by not missing. Idiot!me decided to try it on Hard - you lose ~10% of your gauge every time you miss (with a bit more leeway once you get to something like 10% remaining, and the gauge will blink once there's 30% remaining, as a warning not to fuck up further), and regain 2% if you chain enough notes together. Then, I put it on Random, because I wasn't thinking straight.

As soon as I saw the middle portion of this song (~0:48), I realized I might've bit off a little more than I could chew. Somehow, I made it to the 1:00 mark, and saw that my gauge was blinking, and way too empty for my liking. Fortunately, the RNG decided that it liked me JUST enough such that the hellish pattern I'd endured for the previous 12 seconds turned into something manageable, until 1:43. Imagine hitting a button for every single white/blue rectangle that scrolls down on the screen, while being able to miss only six of them. . .at most.

I ended that song at 4% (in other words, winning by the skin of my teeth), and was so rattled that I failed the next stage. . .but that's a story for another time. :P:

As for my score. . .it was pretty close to that video.

I was fairly sure I was stuck in a segment of Shovel Knight, a platform you pushed that made a rainbow path went too high up, and there were only some small platforms that erupted in flames below me and slightly above, until I realized with some precision that I could use the Phase Locket in conjunction with the Propeller Blade and I barely made the 3 tricky jumps. My friend was like

:0 WHAT!?

Yesterday I capped a great deal of the Mystical Power Plant Ex boss blind.

I was so surprised.

Other things were beating Rhapthorne's second form even after he wiped everyone but the hero in DQVIII, completely random lucky dodges in other Touhous, capturing Saigyouji Flawless Nirvana blind, and anything involving Puppet Ganon's third form.

It's in World of Tanks. I was disconnected right after getting into a match and 5 minutes later, when I finally able to reconnect, all of my teammates died. I was alone against 8 enemies, all of them are in the same tier with me. My teammates screamed, cried and cursed my "afk-ing". I decided to roll out and fight instead of giving up and God, I destroyed all of the enemies, 4 of them have the ability to two-hit-kill me. When the last enemies was destroyed, I asked myself "did I just do that?" while enemies cursed me with all of their might and my teammates sang my name.

One time I beat Sin and Punishment 2's final boss on Hard with 1% of my life remaining. Literally, if the battle had gone on for another fraction of a second, I would've lost.

It's in World of Tanks. I was disconnected right after getting into a match and 5 minutes later, when I finally able to reconnect, all of my teammates died. I was alone against 8 enemies, all of them are in the same tier with me. My teammates screamed, cried and cursed my "afk-ing". I decided to roll out and fight instead of giving up and God, I destroyed all of the enemies, 4 of them have the ability to two-hit-kill me. When the last enemies was destroyed, I asked myself "did I just do that?" while enemies cursed me with all of their might and my teammates sang my name.

This is a beautiful story. If you remember any highlights of the last stretch of fighting, please provide them.

you know that part in wind waker where you have to break that door with the bombs to get one of the orb things

I got it with the very last bomb I had

okay I don't think I would have died but still

Edited by maybe

Metroid Fusion, in sector TRO after the fight with Yakuza. There's the final, major encounter with the SA-X (not counting sector NOC due to the fact that the SA-X ignores you entirely) where you actually have to somewhat fight the damn thing. You're supposed to run away, but the thing is is that the hallways are so narrow and littered with obstacles and barriers, the SA-X is ridiculously fast, can hurt you very hard, and can break free rather quickly from being frozen. And, at the dead-end, you may not realize what you have to do. Suffice to say, I died many a times before I finally figured it out. And when I did, I had the health warning blaring.

Those moment doesn't really happens to me anymore, after all, with enough work, determinaton, thinking, luck and powerleveling ,you can always win. Especially after playing a Souls game for the first time.

That said, Beldr from Devil Survivor is so, sooooo full of BS, it's tasty, that's Atlus for ya.

Edited by B.Leu

I had a couple in Dark Souls and Undertale, though I only have visual proof of the latter. The story of the first is that I decided I wanted to solo Ornstein and Smough with no HUD, shield, or healing(though I still used the BK Greatsword as a crutch) and kept getting my ass whooped. After a few frustratingly weak runs, a new attempt resulted in my getting hit either two or three times, usually the marker of a failed run, but I guess I just entered a kind of super focused mode and somehow dodged everything from there on out. After killing Super Smough, I turned my HUD back on and couldn't even see my remaining health. The number of hit points I had left was 4.

The Undertale one:

[spoiler=no mercy spoilers] I don't even remember how I survived her last attack. I do remember being speechless and immobile for several seconds. [spoiler=no mercy spoilers]well%20then_zpsb17xzpxe.png

Edited by Ambling Falchion

Once in Devil May Cry 4 recently.In Bael's mission on Son of Sparda mode,in the fight against the Blitz in the gallery.When it could've easily killed me,it used the easily dodge-able/escape-able self destruct attack.

This is a beautiful story. If you remember any highlights of the last stretch of fighting, please provide them.

The no.1 rule to survive when you fight against multiple opponents is never let them gang up on you. I ran over the map, killed the faster ones to stop them from flanking me before taking on the slower but more powerful ones. I separated them while killing them one after one.

While I was doing that, a light tank decided to capture my base instead. I was in the middle of the map while he started capturing (it takes a while to capture). Usually, I could just run straight home and kill him but the problem was that my engine and both of the treads were damaged which reduced my tank to slug. During that moment, I had two options, go home, and hope that I am fast enough to stop him or go straight to his base and capture it (I was closer to his base than my base). I decided to go home instead and I managed to arrive just 2 or 3 seconds before he could finish capturing and shot him, resetting all of his process. He then ran but I killed him with another hit.

The sole reason why he lost is that he lost his cool. Light tank has crazy camouflage. I wouldnt be able to see him from afar if he had stayed in one place! But he moved when he saw me which remove all of the camouflage bonus for an immobile tank. Heavy tanks have very bad camouflage and I bet that when he saw me dragging my ass toward him, he panicked and tried to find a cover which in turn also light him up and allowed me to shoot him early.

Edited by Magical CC

Fighting Amygdala for the first time in Bloodborne.

I used up all of my Blood Vials and I only have one more bullet. It does some attack that was definitely going to kill me. I fire my gun as a last ditch effort and surprisingly shot it when it was vulnerable and dealt the Visceral attack for the kill.

Hrm, I think these would count:

- I accidentally left Ike in range of a Knight in PoR once, and with low health. But Ike went and dodged the dude's attack and then critted him. Saved my ass there. lol

- Several times in Awakening, I left my Avatar, Kelli, in danger of being killed because of her crappy defense. Somehow, she'd get hit hard a lot despite being paired up with her hubby Frederick all the time. But Frederick repeatedly dual-guarded to save his wifey. He really means it when he says "I vow to defend you as knight and husband until death should part us"! :D

- Fairly recently, in Zelda: Skyward Sword, I accidentally stepped into the red water in the Lanayru Desert Silent Realm and I swear I was literally inches away from being caught by one of the guardians when I grabbed a tear to save myself. :P

Edited by Anacybele

They count for me Ana.

Another one from me was when I actually nearly died of radiation poisoning when i visited Vault 34 in New Vegas. I should have stocked up on RadAway. Didnt get addicted to Rad-X which was lucky.

- Fairly recently, in Zelda: Skyward Sword, I accidentally stepped into the red water in the Lanayru Desert Silent Realm and I swear I was literally inches away from being caught by one of the guardians when I grabbed a tear to save myself. :P

It kinda doesnt...because I'm pretty sure the guardians don't kill you? But it's close enough.

That one motherfucking wolf boss in Tales of Vesperia, i think it was named Gattuso?

it kicked my ass from one end of the planet to the next and it kept pissing me off. i knew one of the ways to make it out of it just barely was killing these flower goons that had that kept poisoning my party. though i was able to finally take those goons out there was still the main boss himself. i had lots of doubt and thinking i was gonna eat another game over after he killed my healer, but through some persistence and some spare healing items, i somehow one with half of my party barely still alive.

only other moment i can think of was that endgame chapter in Radiant Dawns part 3. trueblade Edward was going to attack my trueblade Zihark and low and behold he activated astra. through some divine intervention or something zihark was able to dodge all five of Edwards hits and was able to kill Edward in a counterattack.

and most recently was in Samurai Warriors 3 were i thought i was gonna die in Yukimuras last chapter in Osaka Castle b/c there was just too much enemy forces piling up and they kept getting some cheap shots in while i was trying to combo kanbei and masamune to death. But thanks to some level ups and an extra musou bar popping up i was able to make it out alive and beat Kanbei, Masamune, and charge in to defeat Ieyasu.

Xenoblade Chronicles.

3 level 87s (Shulk, Dunban and Reyn) vs 6 level 88s and 1 level 91 Unique Monster.

Dunban and Reyn KO-d.

Shulk on low HP.

Decided to revive Dunban and Reyn, as if Shulk died, they could revive me as well.

Shulk didn't die.

Reyn didn't die.

Dunban didn't die.

All the enemies died.