Star Wars The Force Awakens- Final Trailer

riariadne

Episode 1 was harmless enough overall IMO, was a bit too kiddie, but it made up for it with the epic Lightsaber duel. But then we have stuff like Jar-Jar...

Episode II, Obi Wan's stuff was fine, but omg the Anakin & Padme stuff... *gags* Not to mention Anakin is a whiny bitch, not the "great warrior" that Obi Wan describes him as in Episode IV, sure episode III got this portrayal down better, but... damn. Also the fights at the end are... Pretty boring, and make no sense considering you are using Jedi for a fight against a disposable army with a disposable army alongside them already.

Episode III, overall fairly decent, although I feel we needed some more Anakin transition to PURE DARKNESS, from the whole Windu scene, but the build up is actually pretty good.

Episode 1 was too slow paced and Anakin was boring. The villains also fail miserably and don't seem much like a threat. Again, bad presentation, even if the idea is really good (present young Obi-Wan and his mentor, present Anakin, show how he becomes his apprentice, show his abilities and motivations, introduce the Sith and the Jedi Council etc.)

Episode 2 spent too much time on Anakin's love story, which was sudden, boring and wooden. Sometimes I feel like his character was established with a lot of edge (maybe because of the dialogue?), sometimes I like his character presentation (because I relate to the character somewhat). Count Dooku was a solid villain which unfortunately was dispatched too quickly and had only a few moments on screen.

Episode 3 was good, but it failed in some parts. I don't think Anakin's mistrust on the Jedi Council was portrayed too well, and his complete trust on whatever Palpatine said felt forced. And, by the way, healthy people don't just die just because they don't feel like living. I know, if we were to take the move "realistically" then Anakin would've died instantly in the lava, but this...What the hell.

tl;dr, the episodes were great in theory and if you look at it closely and think more about the concept, but other than that the execution was either boring or mediocre. George Lucas is very good at creating stories but terrible at showing them, I guess.

I'm very confused. I don't really have a good idea of the premise or what the movie is about. Are you supposed to watch other trailers first?

I didn't really mind the prequels. Yeah, Jar Jar was annoying. The Anakin/Padme love story wasn't great, but the structure of the movies was a limiting factor there(I guess they could have had more of it offscreen, but considering it's a major plot point that would have been weird). I was also not a big fan of Padme 'losing the will' to live or whatnot, I pretend it's pregnancy complications instead. I think maybe they bit off more than 3 not terribly long movies could handle with all the time skipping but I think I actually like the plot ideas better than the original trilogy.

I read the novels that accompanied the movies, so maybe that's why I liked them better? It helped explain things a little more at least.

I love to give the prequels shit but honestly a lot of it is in jest (alright, not Episode 2, that one I just didn't like much.) Episode 1 is an alright first watch and the Darth Maul part is amazing, and Episode 3 is actually just a good movie that I think just kind of is a casualty of the hatred for the previous two. Maybe it would've went better if there was a more overarching "prequel villain" (not Palpatine), instead of Darth Maul, Tyranus, and General Grievous having their short stays, I dunno. Of the three Maul is actually pretty well liked despite Episode 1.

Ewan (edit: this said Ian fsr) McGregor also did a really good job in the prequels which sort of goes under the radar with the backlash that came after it.

(apparently i had this post typed and saved but not submitted- i have no idea how, i never save posts. thanks sf?)

Edited by Reinfleche

I really don't understand why George Lucas thought it was a good idea to make Anakin and Padmé a couple... It feels weird to date someone who you've first seen as a child, lol. Padmé was already Natalie Portman when Anakin was a child... No, it couldn't work!

The midichlorians were an attempt to add "pseudoscience" to Star Wars but they don't seem to work well with the way the Force works. The Force seems to be something borderline "religious", based on feeling and belief in oneself, never scientific.

I've never understood the "allure" of Star Wars... Yes, it's cool, but it's got this kind of "cult" around it that spawned hundreds and hundreds of fanmade material. Am I not a true nerd for not caring too much about it? :(

I really don't understand why George Lucas thought it was a good idea to make Anakin and Padmé a couple... It feels weird to date someone who you've first seen as a child, lol. Padmé was already Natalie Portman when Anakin was a child... No, it couldn't work!

The midichlorians were an attempt to add "pseudoscience" to Star Wars but they don't seem to work well with the way the Force works. The Force seems to be something borderline "religious", based on feeling and belief in oneself, never scientific.

I've never understood the "allure" of Star Wars... Yes, it's cool, but it's got this kind of "cult" around it that spawned hundreds and hundreds of fanmade material. Am I not a true nerd for not caring too much about it? :(

I think with Star Wars, at least with the originals, the reason why people like it so much is because they had groundbreaking visuals and effects, and that the sci-fi epic fantasy had never really appeared much in film before it came. Those things are what attracted people to the franchise I think, and then they stayed because they were invested in the character arcs of people like Luke or Vader, etc.

Even if the effects look dated now (I don't really think they do) people keep coming to see Star Wars because of its sheer cultural impact that it made and continues to make with all its spin-off media and parents showing their kids the movies (you can go on Youtube and see kids reacting to the famous plot-twist, it's hilarious). Of course, whether Star Wars is actually good or not depends on how much you like the main story and the fantasy world, and personally I do a lot, but I can see how some people don't. You shouldn't worry about being a "true nerd," for not liking Star Wars, but it's good to understand why many people do.

I think with Star Wars, at least with the originals, the reason why people like it so much is because they had groundbreaking visuals and effects, and that the sci-fi epic fantasy had never really appeared much in film before it came. Those things are what attracted people to the franchise I think, and then they stayed because they were invested in the character arcs of people like Luke or Vader, etc.

Even if the effects look dated now (I don't really think they do) people keep coming to see Star Wars because of its sheer cultural impact that it made and continues to make with all its spin-off media and parents showing their kids the movies (you can go on Youtube and see kids reacting to the famous plot-twist, it's hilarious). Of course, whether Star Wars is actually good or not depends on how much you like the main story and the fantasy world, and personally I do a lot, but I can see how some people don't. You shouldn't worry about being a "true nerd," for not liking Star Wars, but it's good to understand why many people do.

I don't think the OT looks bad. I've watched the remastered A New Hope and it looks pretty good for its age. Granted, the extra CGI Lucas added to it seems a bit out of place, but the picture is still nice.

The lore is what I like the most in Star Wars, but I admit to not knowing much about it. :P My brother-in-law is an aficionado, though. He owns a lot of Star Wars merchandise, including the Book of Sith with notes by Luke, I loved that!

I recall Padme being... 14? And Anakin was... 9? There isn't much difference if you look at it, there are couples where the husband/wife is 4 or more years older than their partner. I also recall she was very protective of him even while he was a kid, oblivious to the new world he was brought into (and not without a lot of opposition from the Jedi Council). For me, it feels natural that he grows fond of her.

I didn't mind the midichlorians, tbh. I wouldn't care if the explanation for their powers were some hidden small life forms that live inside someone in symbiosis, varying only in number (which explains why some are adepts on the Force while others are ordinary humans). That said, it reminds me of Power Levels.

The prequels were a big hit because the effects and presentation were revolutionary to the time it was released. That, and a simple but enjoyable story with charismatic characters made it such a success. That's the way I see it, at least. I confess I don't care about the Expanded Universe (I don't believe different writers can tell a story that has the same mood and catch as the original ones, made by the author, which for me eliminates its essence) and I think that some ideas seem ridiculous in hindsight.

Edited by Rapier