Nintendo releasing "Making of" Fire Emblem book in Japan

Shadow Stalker X

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the same blog mentioned above:

• Hoshido is meant to convey an impression of a great Japanese continent that might be a little reminiscent of China. That’s why they chose the aesthetic of the highly Chinese-influenced Nara period.
  • The Invisible Kingdom/Touma is meant to give the image of being placed between the East and the West, and hence is supposed to give “the feeling of the exotic culture at their meeting point” like India or Afghanistan. (PS: Don’t shoot the messenger, just what the book says.) Hence the movements of Aqua’s battle model is supposed to invoke the way the Indian goddesses move.
  • The FE14 divine weapons correspond to the sun, moon, earth, and heavens. “Sun” was the Raihanotou (Ryouma’s thunder sword; that’s not an official reading of the kanji btw) which doesn’t quite match up exactly. Brynhildr (as you might guess) matches up with Earth.
  • For some reason, there’s a lot of detail on the various changes to Roy’s design.
  • There are a bunch of deets on FE9’s development hell. Apparently Begnion was originally called Babylonia, and Ike’s dad was a lorded knight of the noble house of Belsys/Persis/whatever. (It’s the title they ultimately gave Sephiran.) When Ike was 12, his dad was accused of treason and died in an assault on his castle. His mother went missing, and also there’s stuff like Tibarn (whose fiancee is Leanne) and Soanvalke(=Stefan) being profoundly loyal to Begnion, and Mist was the female heroine, and Titania was the leader of a group of mercenaries (DO WANT), and yeah. Proto-Tellius was pretty different.
  • There’s a bunch of stuff about the ecology and literary culture of each of the FE10 countries. Do want…
  • Also, jfen has recently acquired the slang “salty” within the last year, meaning roughly the same thing that it does here–to treat the fans of a celebrity in a cold manner. Fascinating!

The Tellius details were most interesting to me. I wonder if anything else was said. I got the book myself, but my Japanese reading comprehension is so poor...

Edited by Together We Ride

So happy that the bulk is Fates and Awakening. Those old games had their chance and the newer games should get the main stuff. The old games had books, so I don't know why people expected them.

Admittedly, I wish Chrom and Azura were there instead of Eliwood and Lucina.

The info about Tellius is also great. of course 9-14 whip the early titles so i don't care but controversial opinions and all that

So happy that the bulk is Fates and Awakening. Those old games had their chance and the newer games should get the main stuff. The old games had books, so I don't know why people expected them.

Admittedly, I wish Chrom and Azura were there instead of Eliwood and Lucina.

The info about Tellius is also great. of course 9-14 whip the early titles so i don't care but controversial opinions and all that

Please direct me to books that were made for The Sacred Stones, PoR, and Radiant Dawn.

I actually think FE6 did get some sort of character book.

Edited by L95

Please direct me to books that were made for The Sacred Stones, PoR, and Radiant Dawn.I actually think FE6 did get some sort of character book.

I did mention the Tellius games though. 9-14 is really what deserves it. The older books cover the Kaga games though.

as for sacred stones i actually don't like the gba games please don't hurt me

The contents of the book are listed in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3v14q2/cant_read_much_japanese_yet_but_here_are_some/

Also, photos of some of the pages (including a FE10 Execution cutscene storyboard): https://www.instagram.com/thetanooki/ (also by the reddit user in the link)

More pics: http://greenclosed.tumblr.com/post/134368432343/more-the-making-of-fire-emblem-12-fire

Edited by RidellCrimea

Hoshido is meant to convey an impression of a great Japanese continent that might be a little reminiscent of China. Thats why they chose the aesthetic of the highly Chinese-influenced Nara period.

And yet, the actual Nara Japan is noticeably more interesting (and more war filled) than Hoshido. Edited by Alazen

And yet, the actual Nara Japan is noticeably more interesting (and more war filled) than Hoshido.

Are we really moving toward Fates-slamming

we get it you dislike fates people

and I quote your post but there's like five other people in this topic alone

now please get over it

And yet, the actual Nara Japan is noticeably more interesting (and more war filled) than Hoshido.

Look, everybody who bothers to visit the FE14 sub-forum knows of it's flaws; I don't want this thread to devolve into that. Considering you've labeled anybody who expresses a differing opinion "apologists", I wouldn't mind if we just moved away from this topic altogether.

Look, everybody who bothers to visit the FE14 sub-forum knows of it's flaws; I don't want this thread to devolve into that. Considering you've labeled anybody who expresses a differing opinion "apologists", I wouldn't mind if we just moved away from this topic altogether.

lol

are you serious

so this other poster (not you) is literally the worst type of fe elitist

I'm really interested in reading the interview with Kozaki.

Curious to see non-FE IS games are featured there. The only ones I can think of are WarioWare, Battle Clash, Paper Mario... uh, pretty much these. And there's also Codename: S.T.E.A.M. ... Panel de Pon... hmm...

EDIT: crap, I forgot about Advance Wars. Shows how much they care about it nowdays :(

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

Q) In three years, Sothe has grown so much. How old is he exactly? Also, Tormod is supposed to be around the same age as Sothe, but he isn't anywhere near as tall, so what is his age as well?
A) Tormod hasn't grown much, but Sothe has grown 10cm. Does he look more greater? (smiles)
A) We have ages and heights for all characters, but we apologise that we cannot diclose such information.
I still want to see FE10 character's height. >w>

And things like:

Q) For new characters, such as Nolan and Heather, we don't learn much about their background stories. Will their stories be disclosed to the public?
A) Every character has their own background story. If there is an opportunity, we would like to reveal them, but it is still undecided.

Question: There is something about Jugdral Series in the book?

And I agree with the point of a book about the series evolution don't having a single word from Kaga being a bad one!

Please don't eat me for saying it!

Edited by Light Master

What kind of 'Making of Fire Emblem' book doesn't feature a single word from Kaga?

A bad one.

what are some of the worst fans of any fandom? pre-awakening elitists.

its like you hate broccoli and try to constantly tell others you do.

thanks for reminding us why pre-awakening fans can be some of the worst elitists of any fandom and this is coming from someone who played every game released in the west.

seriously I get it that you don't like things post-kaga but calling something bad without even owning it or knowing all what's inside is lame.

on a more insightful note, the book is surprisingly big judging from all the content its supposed to contain, has it been confirmed that it has fates character artwork like knights of iris had character artwork? I'm so interested in the kozaki interview, hope it gets translated!

a50a16c507.jpg

I shot coke out of my nose when I saw Lucina in here wearing Sariya's swimsuit, because my mind immediately went to "WHERE'S THE CURTAIN?!"

what are some of the worst fans of any fandom? pre-awakening elitists.

its like you hate broccoli and try to constantly tell others you do.

thanks for reminding us why pre-awakening fans can be some of the worst elitists of any fandom and this is coming from someone who played every game released in the west.

seriously I get it that you don't like things post-kaga but calling something bad without even owning it or knowing all what's inside is lame.

on a more insightful note, the book is surprisingly big judging from all the content its supposed to contain, has it been confirmed that it has fates character artwork like knights of iris had character artwork? I'm so interested in the kozaki interview, hope it gets translated!

Thanks for reminding us why a lot of Awakening fans are well-acquainted with knee-jerk reactions and treat anything said that doesn't agree with their opinion as a personal attack on their core beliefs.

Though lacking in context or explanation, RJW's post was simply an opinion; if I didn't understand it, I would've asked for him to elaborate. But, it's one which I perfectly understand (having paid attention to everything said here but not owning the book); the book is a pretty crappy celebration of the series. Not even mentioning Kaga once is pretty stupid; he was heavily involved in the series' early years (those of which IS is trying to ignore; guess it makes sense they wouldn't want to mention someone who opposes avatars and who left them before one-upping them).

Edited by The DanMan

Alright, alright, I don't think we need to continue dragging down the topic with pointless accusations and arguments.

Clearly some people wanted more from the Making of Fire Emblem book, while others are content.

Personally, I think people shouldn't have expected much from the book to begin with.

One, the subtitle was a major hint that Awakening and Fates would be the main games covered. Two, the book is written by Nintendo Dream, so there's only so much they could do.

As for the people wanting more from Kaga or his games, it's not an easy road to tread. Even though Kaga helped create the series, I'd wager IS consider his departure a "betrayal", especially after he tried to continue the Emblem games without them... and you don't mention "traitors" during a celebration.

Plus as people stated, a lot of the old staff are gone and the current staff probably aren't that familiar with Kaga's games to shed any additional light on them. Don't forget in the past, it was mostly Kaga who gave insight into his games, whether on the official site, FE Treasure, Playing Guide or the numerous mini-interviews.

There's no excuse for games 6 to 12 having minimal content, but I guess they figured fans would be more interested in the more recent games.

EDIT

You know, there are a lot of really cool tidbits in the book that people are continuously digging up, but not in this topic and probably not on Serenes Forest because people would rather complain about what's not there.

Edited by VincentASM

^Plus, the older games probably have fewer resources and pre-development stuff laying around to begin with, precisely because of their age. Also, if RidellCrimea is to be believed, Judgral got shafted even harder than 6-12.

I didn't know about the Nintendo Dream part, though; that certainly explains some things.

Thanks for reminding us why a lot of Awakening fans are well-acquainted with knee-jerk reactions and treat anything said that doesn't agree with their opinion as a personal attack on their core beliefs.

Though lacking in context or explanation, RJW's post was simply an opinion; if I didn't understand it, I would've asked for him to elaborate. But, it's one which I perfectly understand (having paid attention to everything said here but not owning the book); the book is a pretty crappy celebration of the series. Not even mentioning Kaga once is pretty stupid; he was heavily involved in the series' early years (those of which IS is trying to ignore; guess it makes sense they wouldn't want to mention someone who opposes avatars and who left them before one-upping them).

I'm sorry I just find it very annoying that someone who doesn't like something goes into that thread just to say "thiz z bad", you can disagree but don't be such a jerk about it, you can say something decent that is disagreeable without having people hate you for it, something like "I find it so disappointing that there isn't anything about kaga's work on the series but welp" nothing about personal attacks there.

good for you and all that jazz but just because you don't like something doesn't mean its "a crappy celebration", you don't see me going in other threads and saying that something is bad and just to show everyone that I hate it and I don't see awakening fans going into jugdral threads saying they hate it, its usually the other way around, not everyone is a hardcore elitist who played every game in the entire series including the japanese only ones.

and read my entire post before you respond, I'm a fan of all western released games, how ironic since you said awakening fans had knee jerk reactions. that seems like one to me.

why are kaga fans acting like mindless drones about him? he's the one who copied the series into tearring saga and tried to rip it off, I love the guy for being involved in the early series but he has done some douchey stuff, not much different from how you think awakening fans are.

Edited by Citadel Heroine

If we really want more information about the Jugdral Series the best way to find it is to call Kaga himself.

Because if we depend of Nintendo and IS to give it, we will await forever.

For Awakening fans: Critics are normal, just analyse them and think if they are legitimate or not, if they are not legitimate, just ignore it, Okay?

The same goes for the "older" fans, don't be idiots.(because calling someone "elitist prick" is more easy than thinking)

Anyways, I got my copy and there are some really interesting tidbits here and there. Due note if you are expecting a full blown concept art book, you are not going to find it here. It's mostly interviews, small little insights and studio information. So unless you're well versed into Japanese you probably won't find much value in this other than collectors item or just a fan in general. There are some pretty cool unique things like some Tellius storyboarding, concept arts for FE6 battle animations, Future Past DLC concept map works and a FE9 Titania concept art something that I don't think has been posted or uploaded before.

Here are some snapshots of interesting things I seen in the book.

Generic Tellius Soldier concept arts

1fYyU9l.jpg

Titania Concept art

4cjiIss.jpg

Future Past DLC concept maps.

ogjJVIC.jpg

Earlier prototype Roy FE6. Totally not Marth looks

SjMYKYM.jpg

A bit more parts of build 3 avatar art revealed where it shows the Male avatar holding his belt and female avatar's hands on her waist

t8ywApE.jpg

Edited by kingddd