Prototype Roy > Final Roy?

I've just came across Roy's prototype mug from FE6, and I somehow feel he would have been a far more interesting character than the final Roy, because Roy was very bland in FE6 and had nothing going for him. At least the prototype Roy (or Protoroy, as I like to call him) has some form of character to him, looking much more energetic and optimistic.

Who else feels the same? Why do you think I.S. changed Roy to his more bland, function-only form in the final FE6?

protoroys.png

(This is a recreation of Roy's mug from prototype FE6 screenshots. I found the mug here. Credit goes to the spriter over at Pixel Joint).

Edited by Blue Druid

People maybe haven't noticed it but FE6 Roys battle animation resembles the prototype mug.

I'll prove it.

c5a8123184a996ae1fbd944989f47f88.png

Just look at the hair and even the armor is the same as the one on prototype mug.

I.S. is lazy confirmed.

Edited by Lord Wolfram

People maybe haven't noticed it but FE6 Roys battle animation resembles the prototype mug.

I'll prove it.

c5a8123184a996ae1fbd944989f47f88.png

Just look at the hair and even the armor is the same as the one on prototype mug.

I.S. is lazy confirmed.

Wow, I didn't notice that. We could assume from this that the final Roy was a last minute change and they didn't have time to make a new personality for Roy and change his animation.

Am I just seriously blessed or something, cause in my 3 different playthroughs of FE6, Roy never turned out anywhere near as bad as people seem to have horror stories about. In fact, I consider him a superior unit to Leif, Micaiah, and SD Marth. Am I just really blessed or something?

He does look ten in the prototype, tho, but I wouldn't mind that, since I like young protagonists.

Am I just seriously blessed or something, cause in my 3 different playthroughs of FE6, Roy never turned out anywhere near as bad as people seem to have horror stories about. In fact, I consider him a superior unit to Leif, Micaiah, and SD Marth. Am I just really blessed or something?

He does look ten in the prototype, tho, but I wouldn't mind that, since I like young protagonists.

... His stats aren't bad but he stays mediocre and unpromoted for too long before becoming a powerhouse for... 3-4 chapters?

You know, I find the prototype status screen to be particularly interesting. You can really see the whole transition they were going through between FESNES and FEGBA. It's pretty cool.

I know! It's really fascinating how the transition went on. Early FE6 looks like the love child of Thracia 776 and FE7. I would've personally preferred it if more stayed more true to the SNES look, but that's probably just me.

Also, is the fact that both Roy and Leif are both the sole Lords of their games who wield swords and don't gain any weapons upon promotion a coincidence?

I don't think I could look at Prototype Roy and take him seriously as the leader of a continental army.

Yeah, I see what you mean, and that's probably the reason they changed him. But I'm going to be devil's advocate and say that I didn't take final Roy seriously either.

Edited by Blue Druid

His hair looks too wild for Royalty.

He looks far too young to inherit a position leading the Lycian Alliance

He looks as though he has little tactical know how with relation to the actual wars going on

He looks significantly more angry, for a calm and collected royal figurehead

I like nothing about this Roy except perhaps the irony

I don't think I could look at Prototype Roy and take him seriously as the leader of a continental army.

This for sure. I also just straight up like his actual design more, although his Smash appearance is probably my favorite incarnation.

I personally really liked how Roy looked in the final, and his final personality, but that's just me.

It is nice to have an explanation for why his animation looks off tho.

I actually like Roy's design and personality too. He does look a bit younger in that prototype version. Maybe that's why they changed it?

This for sure. I also just straight up like his actual design more, although his Smash appearance is probably my favorite incarnation.

Yeah, his smash 4 design, is the best by far.

yeah i'm more of a fan of final roy then prototype roy

Well, I guess I'm alone on this one. I totally see what you guys mean though.