Keeping or selling great videogames?

MisterIceTeaPeach

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep a great videogame, even if you know you really can't use it anymore?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Do you collect videogames?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Why do you sell videogames?

• need room
    • need money
    • other
    • I don't sell at all.
    • not interested in this game anymore

I had a very hard decision to make.

After almost four years I was very close to the moment to sell two of my absolute favorite videogames of all time: FE9 + 10

Actually FE10 is still my favorite one.

It was a very VERY hard decision for me, because Radiant Dawn influenced my life quite a bit.

It introduced me into one of the best strategy RPG series.

I mainly loved FE10 because of its game mechanics.

It had the largest variety of mission objectives and the largest number of regular story maps.

Furthermore it featured unique mechanics like the ledges or the hit penalty for attacking with the bow from three range. Also the skill system is excellent, although some characters have an advantage for having free skill(s).

Many people complain about the story, but I didn't have a problem with it in total. Of course there are a few plotholes, but they didn't bother me. I only wished that Ike wouldn't steal Micaiah's spotlight in this game. I still claim her as the main character in this game.

The only real issues for me are the character and difficulty balance.

A few characters are unusable on higher difficulties because they join too late with low level and because of their terrible availibility.

Also the difficutly curve is weird. The DB chapters are way tougher than the chapters with the CK's and GM's.

In general the DB chapters on HM have the perfect difficulty for me. Challenging, but never unfair at any point.

The endgame chapters became much easier because of the mastery skills.

I don't care for the missing support conversations, because you can't expect that each support is unique with this huge number of support possibilities. It'd be nice to learn more about the characters, but this system doesn't really allow it. Gamplaywise this flexible support system is excellent.

Since I didn't know what happened three years ago, I also bought Path of Radiance.

It had a better story and you learned to know more about the characters in bosses. The map design and game mechanics were also great (of course FE10 improved them a bit).

Each character is usable and all important classes are represented.

However I found this game too easy. It had the easiest hard mode in the FE series. Unfortunately maniac mode only exists in the JP version.

All in all it was a very good FE game as well.

Unfortunately I was so obsessed by FE10 so much that I didn't play any other videogames.I played both game for about 150 times in total.

However my interest in FE is gone. I'm kinda tired of this series for now. I don't even know the causes. Maybe FE13 took me the fun, or the FE14 hype killed my interest.

Anyway I'll take a longer break of FE from now on.

After a long consideration I decided to keep them, because these games influenced my life and memorabilia.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Personally, I wouldn't sell them unless you need the money.

If you want to forget about FE for a while, stick them deep in a cupboard where you won't run into them.

You never know when you may want to play them again.

But if you're determined to sell them and they would work on an Australian (PAL) console, I'd be interested in PoR.

Don't be rash. If you love these games that much, I would strongly advise against selling them. Just because you don't feel like playing them now doesn't mean you won't feel like playing them again in a couple years, and you might not be able to acquire them so easily down the line.

Some of my greatest regrets in life are selling games that I wanted to play again years later. Unless you really need the money right now, hold onto them. You'll be happy you did.

Man atleast youl still have those sweet sweet FE 10 memories

Memories... sniff sniff...

No, I can't sell them!

Personally, I wouldn't sell them unless you need the money.

If you want to forget about FE for a while, stick them deep in a cupboard where you won't run into them.

You never know when you may want to play them again.

But if you're determined to sell them and they would work on an Australian (PAL) console, I'd be interested in PoR.

Don't be rash. If you love these games that much, I would strongly advise against selling them. Just because you don't feel like playing them now doesn't mean you won't feel like playing them again in a couple years, and you might not be able to acquire them so easily down the line.

Some of my greatest regrets in life are selling games that I wanted to play again years later. Unless you really need the money right now, hold onto them. You'll be happy you did.

Damn... this decision is so hard.

On the one hand I don't really need the Wii (only steals room) and these games would bring me tons of money, but on the other hand they're memories and maybe I could introduce my kids (if I'll have any) into these amazing games.

... But yeah, these games mean too much for me to sell them.

I cancelled the selling for now!

Idk, if it works on Australian console. I own the EU version of both games for being German.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. I think the Tellius games kind of ruined FE as a whole for me, because I definitely don't think I'll ever like an FE game nearly as much as I liked FE9 and 10. FE9 seems like it just set the bar too high as far as what I expect from a game's narrative and characterization, and even though FE10 is poorer in those aspects, it's building off the same world, which in of itself makes it passable.

I have been playing around a lot with Awakening recently, but I've gotten super burnt out on grinding and minmaxing so I'm probably done there too.

Don't sell the games though. I'm sure they'll feel fresh again after a while.

I've imported games from England, so it would work. I think only the US version is incompatible.

It's likely that all future games will be in the same vein as Awakening/Fates, there's no point in messing with a successful formula from a business standpoint. So that's all the more reason to keep older games that you enjoy.

Edited by Baldrick

EDIT: These games mean me too much to sell them! I couldn't do it.

I'm glad you didn't sell your games; after I realize how much I miss my old SNES games when I sold them and even my first copies of Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, I never let go of any of my games, no matter how good they actually were, because of sentimental value. Even if you don't want to play FE9 and 10 for the longest time, or just take a break from FE in general, i wouldn't ever recommend selling them.

Eventually, you'll get the want to play those games again, and then you'll slap yourself for selling them. Yes there are emulators that can let you play them still, and I even say to others that you can just emulate the games, but there's something about having the physical cartridge that just having the game file itself in a folder on your computer doesn't have.

I gave these potentially customers the option to lent these games for a few months instead. Meanwhile I can play other games.

I don't want to do something I'll regret later.

One of my friends pointed it out:

all my favorite games bring back memories to me, me selling games I like would be like selling myself.

I'm pretty sure that the Fire Emblem Hype will come back sometime.

Thank you for giving me the (right) advice to keep these games!

Fickleness is one of my weaknesses.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Yeah if anything give/lend them to a friend or someone you know will appreciate them. I don't need to tell you this but those games are collectible as all hell so if for whatever reason you so much as want to look at the game case again and you sold it for good then you'll have regrets trust me I did lol.

I never sell games

It's a collector thing for me.

Actually I sell 95% of my games after I've playthroughed them once and am not interested anymore in replaying them.

I'm no collector and I've no room for the games.

Most games will lose their worth after the time anyway.

However there are a few exceptions like in this case.

Actually I sell 95% of my games after I've playthroughed them once and am not interested anymore in replaying them.I'm no collector and I've no room for the games.Most games will lose their worth after the time anyway.However there are a few exceptions like in this case.

This isn't exactly a very good idea.

If I sold games after I no longer needed them I'd never be able to play again.

I've been giving Paper Mario TTYD a second playthrough to see if my criticisms are misguided. If I sold it, I never would have been able to play it again.

My brother sold Portal 2 without asking anyone. That made me more than angry. I can't see why anyone wouldn't keep all of their games unless they really didn't like them.

I've been giving Paper Mario TTYD a second playthrough to see if my criticisms are misguided. If I sold it, I never would have been able to play it again.

My brother sold Portal 2 without asking anyone. That made me more than angry. I can't see why anyone wouldn't keep all of their games unless they really didn't like them.

On the other hand, if you abstain from ever selling your games, you're very realistically going to end up not replaying most of them again. If you don't happen to be a collector, the money and room you get in return for selling them can easily outweigh the benefits of having insane amounts of physical games just lying around, for many.

I'm a hobby videogamer.

I'm a hobby gamer.

I don't really have the time to replay most of my videogames, except they really inspired me.

There's no real reason for me to keep them except for becoming dusty.

It's better to save room and to get a bit money, which I can invest in new videogames. My pocket is small anyway.

However I must admit it only really applies to games for Nintendo games (3DS + Wii). These games still bring me some money.

I got most of my PS3 games for a very low price (got three Tales of games in a collection for 20€). I got all the games for <=30€.

In this case it's more worth to keep them and to replay them later sometime, because they wouldn't bring any money.

Idk, if it works on Australian console. I own the EU version of both games for being German.

Well there is like 4 regions.

NTSC-U/C (United States, Canada and Mexico)

NTSC-J (Japan)

PAL/SECAM (European Union, Australia...)

NTSC-K (Korea)

So European games (France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain) are going to work on an Australian Gamecube or Wii console and vice-versa.

Edited by Naughx

If I really like the game I keep it, but if I don't end up liking it I sell it. I am a collector when it comes to series I like but I only use Nintendo systems and games and I plan to keep it that way because I would never have time to play all the games if I ended up with a PS4 as well. I am glad that you decided to keep your games because of how much they mean to you, I would never get rid of my copy of FE 8 because of how many memories I have of playing it.

I keep everything because what if I need it

why would I ever sell anything when I could use it later

As for the poll, I don't sell anything but I'm not a collector. I buy what I want.

i also never have game money issues as a privledged American teen so why should I go looking for more money

Edited by Freyjadour

I hold onto my games forever! Which is good because a lot of the games I loved growing up that I still own hard copies to are worth a ton now and would be a pain to rebuy. I still forever regret letting a friend borrow my copy of Chrono Trigger in middle school, because I never got it back and it's way pricey now.

I dont really collect tbh, but i cant part with some very special games that i can either play through emulation or cant play anymore. Unless im so destitute, that i must sell something to feed myself, maybe then ill do it. But otherwise, no. Me getting rid of my Chrono Trigger cart would flatten me. I couldnt do it.

Take from someone who lost/sold most of his old games. Don't do it (but if it's a game you don't like, by all means sell it, I don't regret selling any games I didn't like that is for sure), keep them, you wil thank me later you never know when you will want to revisit them. I have owned pysical copies of every American released fire emblem (expect shadow dragon I got that during my pirating days... I only emulate if game I already own or are not available in my county now) now I only have copy of Awakening and it makes me sad.

Edited by Locke087

I did a small cleanup session once, where I sold some games, but other then that I never sold any of the games I owned.

Part of the reason is because I like the games. Who knows, perhaps i'll plug my old console in sometimes and play through them again. I occasionally did it with my Gamecube.

The other reason is that I usually just can't be bothered. They're fine on my shelf and bringing them in usually doesn't earn that much.

Edited by Sasori