Should I feel ashamed for playing on Normal/Classic?

ApathyBeam

I mean imagine if you were playing a RTS, and you play Hardest mode, and it's like: yeah, don't build all of those other units, just spam Unit A and you'll win.

Using that analogy, it's more of a case of not using units not suited to the situation. In Age of Empires 2, you can very well try to rush with Spearmen because they're the unit you want to use, but you'll get wrecked for it because they're not meant for that. Chrom is in exactly the same situation- he's not meant for fighting the Prologue Boss. That doesn't mean he doesn't have his uses (just like Spearmen)- he's a great support, and his weapon lets him shrug off earlygame neglect and catch up later very easily. There is nothing wrong with a difficulty that makes certain units better able to handle certain situations than others, but there would definitely be a problem if unit choice didn't matter and you could use anything you want with perfectly good results.

Continuing on that analogy, say unit A is indeed capable of taking down the enemy by themselves- but they also only cost a certain type of resource. You have additional stuff not needed to make unit A that you could be using to make other unit types (that compliment unit A), and if you don't like using just unit A, there's not much reason not to.

But honestly... I'm not getting why Yoshi is having such a problem with me basically saying "I didn't like it"

I have no problems with people not liking anything, I've said several times that Lunatic(+) aren't for everyone. You play what you like, I play what I like, we're all happy. My issue is that you're basically asking for Lunatic to be a difficulty where you can make any unit good at everything with a little effort. Seeing as there's already a perfectly fine Hard mode that does that already, taking away what sets Lunatic(+) apart as difficulties- teambuilding that actually matters- it feels a little like you're stepping on the modes I like and saying you want the whole game to be the way you like it, instead of using different difficulty types that appeal to different audiences.

Now, me and my preferences aside, that's not even good game design- the whole point of Awakening is to have as broad of appeal as possible, and I think the difficulty design did a pretty good job of making sure there's something for everyone (as evident by the point of this thread). Homogenizing it and making every difficulty play similar to the first two (harder, maybe, but with the same principles) lowers the amount of people the difficulty can appease, and that's not a good thing.

As for why I'm "trying to explain things" to you... Explaining stuff is pretty much all I ever do on SF. It's like my job here, I do it all the time. What did you expect?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no, and don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. I've played this game many times through on every mode from normal casual to a low turn count run of lunatic+ classic. Everyone is different, if you're a casual player who doesn't have much time to devote to the game you shouldn't let anyone make you feel ashamed for playing on normal. Not to mention most of the people who would give you shit for it have probably played on normal themselves as pre-dlc it was essentially the only realistic method to achieving 100% completion.

Well, no need to feel ashamed... If I had to be blunt I'd ask you who actually does care about how you play, besides a minority of close-minded people ? But no need to be rude, so... just play the way you feel the best.

If you really feel ashamed, then just play on Hard Mode, I'm sure there is someone competent in SF who can help you on Hard.And not everyone can make through Lunatic first chapters with everyone alive or even make it throughat all. However, you shouldn't be ashamed for something that you aren't guilty about.

you should be happy you found a difficulty that is just right for you. I am one of those (probably) many people who find hard easy but find lunatic to be just ridiculously difficult.

Edited by Mackc2

The thing about hard mode (for me) is that it looked really balanced to me early on, but once your units get going and your pairs reach S-support, it eventually just becomes normal, only with random reinforcements. I guess if you put a self-imposed ban on pair up, this would work.

No shame at all, this is one of the main reasons why Awakening is my favorite (but that title is slooooowly changing to FE7) normal classic makes the game acessible to all audiences with the hard difficulty being a pretty big jump in difficulty. Overall, keep playing in this difficulty, I've made 3 playthroughts on normal before going to hard and I didn't felt left behind or ashamed at all (again, a jump of difficulty happens on hard mode with the Reeking Box abuse not being possible anymore).

The thing about hard mode (for me) is that it looked really balanced to me early on, but once your units get going and your pairs reach S-support, it eventually just becomes normal, only with random reinforcements. I guess if you put a self-imposed ban on pair up, this would work.

Idunno, I've always found Hard to be easiest at the start and then get harder as the enemies catch up (aka a real difficulty curve, unlike Lunatic(+)).

Congrats on finding a difficulty that is right for you. Play whatever feels comfortable to you because in the end that's all that really matters.

For me, normal is too easy but hard is too gimicy. I don't grind, lowman, use staffbots, spotpass, or abuse rescue staffs. Without using any of these things I always get caught up in Valm because of one problem. Same turn reinforcements. The same turn reinforcements force me to reset until I get aggravated and call it quits. One of these days I'll finally finish awakening but I don't know when.

EDIT: I've read fates doesn't have same turn reinforcements at least on normal difficulty. Can anyone confirm if that applies to higher difficulties as well?

Edited by TheBakonBitz

Hard is doable without grinding/lowmanning/staffbot abuse (keep one of Lissa/Maribelle around for healing and the occasional Rescue)/Spotpass. You'll have to make up for it with positioning, pair-up bonuses, and use of Galeforce (Chapter 19).

Perhaps give Hard/Casual a whirl?

Can anyone confirm if that applies to higher difficulties as well?

Not from experience but I definitely read it dozens of times, so aside from one chapter in Nohr they're always tacked-on next-turn spawns.

Well, everyone has their own difficulty before it's just not fun anymore. For example, I, don't know where to stop, ever, so I've found myself sobbing profusely in Chapter 3 limbo of Lunatic plus. The only reason I can say hard/classic is braindead easy for me is ONLY because I passed lunatic classic. It sounds so stupid to get all haughty around people like you who either chooses not to or just can't play any harder? People are different, and I'm sorry they treat you that way, but it's good they're not all like that.

If it's something you honestly feel bad about though, my good friend thinks normal classic is difficult, and she's pretty smart and cool. So it doesn't say anything bad about you if you prefer playing on a lower difficulty.

• 3 weeks later...