The Year's Almost Over... Which is Your GOTY?

Jave

Am...I allowed to say a game that wasn't released this year, but I just got it this year? :(

Yes. Now edit your post and tell us. But it better be good.

EDIT: Jave says no. So I made a new topic. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59394

Edited by Zera

Maybe a bit predictable, but I'm gonna have to go with The Witcher 3, not only because it's my favorite game this year (Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 came close, but they had issues), but I think objectively it's one of the greatest games in recent memory, particularly the story (side quest)/choice aspect of the game. This is the only game I can recall that I've played recently that actively made me question my choices. I really loved the no "right or wrong" in this game, because it made me think more on the possible consequences, making for a more... emotional (?) experience, let's say. The gameplay is tactical, challenging, and fun (although, at times, frustrating), the game looks (I just wish I could say it ran the same) gorgeous, the world felt really alive, and Gwent. Fucking Gwent. Weird to think this was the dev's first attempt at an open-world game, and they nailed it. There's more to say about this game; lots more, but I think you should go out and get it so you can experience it for yourself, instead of listening to some nerd tell you how good it is/was. And while you're at it, buy the Hearts of Stone expansion too.

Some other great games, but not my personal GotY are: Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bloodborne, Hotline Miami 2, and possibly others that I didn't play this year.

Edited by Disinnocence

Freedom Pla... wait, that doesn't count? Well, how the Wii U port then? No?

I suppose I'm going to say Metal Gear Solid V then. But I am talking specifically about the Steam version because of modding. Because of mods, I was able to make a playthrough with maxed preparedness and am currently on a run were enemies have improved visual range, which makes things a lot more exiting. I was also able to deal with various annoyances, like for example shortening the time that Snake needs before he opens the door of the chopper or just skipping the chopper ride altogether.

Edited by BrightBow

Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain

It was the perfect ace for story, graphics (Fox Engine), gameplay IMO. Multiplayer is dicy but you'll get used to it eventually.

I am still not done with the game as it holds a lot of content for gamers to enjoy. If there is a few things a game series should be known for, MGS Phantom Pain has phenomenal graphics & music.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is my favorite game of the year, I'll say this so I don't sound like a broken record:

I like games that feel alive, it's not just a matter of making the world look good, or having the best effects, it's a matter of making the player's interactivity have absolute meaning to them and the world of the game responds to you and acknowledges what you did. The Witcher series is remarkable and Wild Hunt just took everything I loved about the previous games and amplified it. It pulls you to a fantastic main storyline with great characters and gives you side content that are just as good, and it just never ends.

Tell me more about axiom verge please.

You know how all of these modern Metroidvanias tell you where to go, give you complete maps of the world right away, and never trap you in any way? Axiom Verge doesn't do any of that, these small details made it the first modern Metroidvania where i actually felt like i was playing Metroid.

I kind of feel like these kinds of threads mostly generate titles from the second half the year. What even came out in first quarter?

...that said, it's Undertale for me. Couldn't be anything else IMHO.

Edited by Papyrus