Fire Emblem Got Very Lucky This Time Around

Captain Karnage

I don't think people would have been nearly as happy with this set of characters to be perfectly frank with you.

Ridley and K Rool? Yeah tons of happiness except in Japan where they'd be absolutely enraged with Sakurai putting Ridley in, Cia, Tetra and Peppy would have got nearly universal disdain. Because it would be, "Oh a Team Ninja character... Great", "Oh another Zelda? Did we need a third Zelda?" and "Why isn't it Wolf?"

With what we got, we have the 2 fan favorite cut veterans of Melee, one of the fan favorite cut veterans of Brawl, the Face of Final Fantasy, freaking Bayonetta and an upcoming new FE character. Bit better of a set imo. It still amazes me that people on an FE forum are so bitter that FE is actually getting some much needed attention.

But to be perfectly honest, no matter what happened. We'd still be discussing why people are salty about a set of characters, no matter who they were.

The characters I listed were just examples. My counterpoint to this thread is that "luck" was not involved in the selection of characters. Sakurai put in who he wanted to put in, and I believe his favoritism played a part in it. I do agree with you that there would be salt no matter what, but seriously, 4 new Fire Emblem characters.

I'm not sure Japan would be "enraged" by Ridley's inclusion just because he's more popular here. He's literally the archnemesis of Samus and appears in virtually every Metroid game so I think his absence on the roster is more unusual than anything else.

What you're missing is that the slot was filled after the criteria was decided. I'm not saying it's a coincedence, but I don't think Sakurai liking Fire Emblem has anything to do with it. Heck, he was hesitant to add Corrin because he'd be the sixth FE character and only went with it when the moveset decided on worked out the best. (See Source Gaming).

Also, interestingly enough, Sakurai never referred to Mewtwo as a Melee vet. The only character he described as a Melee vet was Roy. This may be due to Mewtwo's spot being decided much in advance, or at least a Melee vet slot being decided after Mewtwo was planned. I dunno. So if your options are Roy, Pichu and Young Link, I'd like to think the choice is pretty straightforward, as much as I would have preferred Pichu.

My point was, the criteria is made up to be whatever he wants. You say it's a choice between Roy, Pichu and Young Link. I say, it only came to that because he decided that would be the pool of characters he chose from (after adding in two other cut melee vets).

nekoknight here's a tip

please pick actually good DLC characters if you're trying to prove a point

because you just make your own point look awful if you're attempting to battle Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta with Cia, Ridley, Peppy, K. Rool, and Tetra. The only one of those who are even decent is Tetra.

Here's a tip for you, compadre. Learn to read.

Disclaimer: I'm not specifically saying any of these characters should really be in the game.

I didn't say any of the characters I mentioned were objectively better choices. They were just examples to say that any character can be selected when you choose your own criteria for the selection.

yes but either way those choices were inexcusable and I can't see why 6 FE characters rustles your jimmies so much. ESPECIALLY when we got such a diverse cast of DLC. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta? Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy? It's perfect.

I'm pretty sure Sakuri picked Roy as the Melee vet because he was the most popular Melee clone who didn't make it into brawl

yes I know Mewtwo is a clone but it dosen't count lol

you can't deny that Roy wasn't a popular choice, if you watched the Nintendo World Championships when they brought out smash bros you could hear the croud shout "ROY'S OUR BOY, ROY'S OUR BOY"

and when they were developing the game 4 characters got other characters as skins, and three of those skins got upgraded to full character, one of them just happened to be from FE

I don't think Sakuri has an FE bias, because the hate for one series gets moved on from one franchise to the next, if I recall just a few months ago everyone seemed to be crying that there was too much Kid Icarus stuff

as for the Inklings and why I didn't think they ever stood a chance or ever will

well for one the 3ds couldn't handle the transformation from kid to squid

for them to be able to spray ink anywhere on the stage and move around it would require a massive overhaul to make every stage campatable with this fighter (too costly)(and the 3ds probably couldn't handle 4 of them at a time)

it would make the stages look very messy and unclean

I'm pretty sure Sakuri picked Roy as the Melee vet because he was the most popular Melee clone who didn't make it into brawl

yes I know Mewtwo is a clone but it dosen't count lol

you can't deny that Roy wasn't a popular choice, if you watched the Nintendo World Championships when they brought out smash bros you could hear the croud shout "ROY'S OUR BOY, ROY'S OUR BOY"

and when they were developing the game 4 characters got other characters as skins, and three of those skins got upgraded to full character, one of them just happened to be from FE

I don't think Sakuri has an FE bias, because the hate for one series gets moved on from one franchise to the next, if I recall just a few months ago everyone seemed to be crying that there was too much Kid Icarus stuff

Note: Sakurai was personally involved with Kid Icarus and his love for Fire Emblem is no small secret. I don't fling "Mario bias" around because that's Nintendo's biggest series, unlike KI or FE.

Also, Splatoon is just one game, and the Inkling's are a species, not a character.

Pokemon are just species too.

Shulk got in because of one game as well.

The characters I listed were just examples. My counterpoint to this thread is that "luck" was not involved in the selection of characters. Sakurai put in who he wanted to put in, and I believe his favoritism played a part in it. I do agree with you that there would be salt no matter what, but seriously, 4 new Fire Emblem characters.

I'm not sure Japan would be "enraged" by Ridley's inclusion just because he's more popular here. He's literally the archnemesis of Samus and appears in virtually every Metroid game so I think his absence on the roster is more unusual than anything else.

Fair enough, I may have been a bit too heated lol.

Also I have seen a number of Japanese responses to the Wests want for Ridley, the majority of them were not very nice responses.

as for the Inklings and why I didn't think they ever stood a chance or ever will

well for one the 3ds couldn't handle the transformation from kid to squid

for them to be able to spray ink anywhere on the stage and move around it would require a massive overhaul to make every stage campatable with this fighter (too costly)(and the 3ds probably couldn't handle 4 of them at a time)

it would make the stages look very messy and unclean

It can handle Corrin's transforming into a full fledged dragon in certain techniques, you could have done the same for Inklings.

Also, Splatoon is just one game, and the Inkling's are a species, not a character.

Yoshi's are a species too, as are Pokemon,

Also Shulk has 1 game, Sheik has 1 (official) game shes in.

I'm honestly seeing more "Inklings shouldn't be included because I don't like them" then actual reasons from either of you. I'm not big on Splatoon myself, still need to play it, but you should at least make valid arguments.

It's pretty much the foreseen fandom demand (which is not limited to here apparently) and the timing of the releases of their video games of origin are what allowed Robin, Lucina, and Corrin to be considered and be given the greenlight, moreso for Robin and Corrin as they have unique characteristcs (Lucina was only added due to extra development time before the release of the original game and that clone characters do not require as much work when compared to non-clone fighters).

From what it looks like, Marth and Ike were decided for Smash 4 at the start.

Roy only got in because of significant fan demand for his return as the Melee favorite (since Mewtwo is considered the overall fan favorite (hence its being revealed as the first ever DLC character in Smash)) and that Toon Link effectively replaced Young Link and a lot of players aren't particularly fond of Pichu being a little too faithful to its Pokedex entry.

Edited by Roflolxp54

The Fe. Get it? Maybe not all the folks here are FE fans, and don't know where to find another Nintendo forum.

You don't think people can use google to find another nintendo forum? I'm sure there are some people here who don't like FE, maybe even never did, but I suspect it's a pretty small group here.

That being said, people who aren't big fans of fates seem to be prevalent. If anything, I'm amazed by how many people seem to have played fates already, but I've heard there's an english patch in addition to getting it from japan or something so...