Fire Emblem Got Very Lucky This Time Around

Captain Karnage

So I've been wanting to talk about this since Corrin's reveal, but when I tried to bring this up in the Corrin thread it seems that every one just ignored it and went strait for my other opinions

this is the point I've been trying to make

Fire Emblem just lucked out this time

Lucina was one of the three alt costumes who got upgraded to full character

Roy was the Melee vet that got brought back

Corrin is the only new Nintendo character from an established franchise

they all just happen to be from Fire Emblem

in regards to Roy, I think he was the best choice as a returning melee vet over a joke character and another version of Link

While I like Roy, I would argue on Pichu's behalf easily.

My Pichu moveset idea was:

B: Electro Ball - A stronger Thunder Jolt that moves faster and is unaffected by gravity. Think along the lines of Lucas's PK Fire.

Up B: Agility - Keep it the same, but give it more damage and the ability to lock in the opponent similar to Climhazzard.

Side B: Wild Charge - Skull Bash but stronger and with even more area taken up.

Down B: Discharge - Instead of Thunder being called down, Pichu makes a massive wreath of electricity around itself. Think along the lines of PK Flash's explosion's range.

I would make Pichu faster and stronger than Pikachu. Way faster and stronger in fact. However, it would have electrical effects on all attacks, not just most like in Melee. Pichu would still be really light and easily KO'd though, but Pichu's killer damage and combos could prove him to be a good competitor and even competitively viable. Lethal Joke Character anyone?

rate my idea out of ten

lucky how? it's not like they drew numbers from a hat

do you mean the fans got lucky?

B: Electro Ball - A stronger Thunder Jolt that moves faster and is unaffected by gravity. Think along the lines of Lucas's PK Fire.
Up B: Agility - Keep it the same, but give it more damage and the ability to lock in the opponent similar to Climhazzard.
Down B: Discharge - Instead of Thunder being called down, Pichu makes a massive wreath of electricity around itself. Think along the lines of PK Flash's explosion's range.

I would make Pichu faster and stronger than Pikachu. Way faster and stronger in fact. However, it would have electrical effects on all attacks, not just most like in Melee. Pichu would still be really light and easily KO'd though, but Pichu's killer damage and combos could prove him to be a good competitor and even competitively viable. Lethal Joke Character anyone?

rate my idea out of ten

very relevant post, friend!!!

very relevant post, friend!!!

you act smart but he said that Pichu and Young Link were unviable even though if both of them got roy level treatment they'd be great

hope you didn't hurt your wrist back handing that out

The only thing worse than an alternate incarnation of Link is literally the same Link but younger. What on earth were they thinking?

Pichu would never be buffed because he was specifically designed to be a handicap for skilled players, and is canonically weaker than Pikachu.

by chance

like I said

an alt skin became a full character

a melee vet returned

and a new Nintendo character was picked

all of them just happen to be from fire embleme

and yes if you love FE as much as me

rate my idea out of ten

A bit off topic but was this inspired by Brawl Minus?

But yah Fire Emblem just happened to seem relevant enough in Sakurai's eyes that it would get more characters than Zelda and equal to Pokemon :^).

EDIT: derp moment

Edited by ~Summer~

I'll give you Lucina but less of a case can be made for Kamui and Roy. There is no rule that stated the game 'needed' another melee vet (we already got Doctor Mario anyway) and there are other recent releases besides Fire Emblem for newcomers. Splatoon could have been promoted, for example.

A bit off topic but was this inspired by Brawl Minus?

But yah Fire Emblem just happened to seem relevant enough in Sakurai's eyes that it would get more characters than Pokemon :^).

Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, Jiggleypuff. I'm counting 6. Same as Fire Emblem.

Actually yes, Sakurai felt a DLC character should be a Melee vet.

With the exception of Mewtwo and Ryu (as far as I'm aware), every DLC character filled a predetermined slot:

- Roy, the returning fighter from Melee

- Lucas, the returning fighter from Brawl

- Cloud, the most requested Final Fantasy character

- Corrin, a character from an upcoming game

- Bayonetta, the most requested character

Sakurai wrote about it in his Famitsu columns after the character was announced. Source Gaming has translations of these columns on their website.

Granted, a case still could be made for Corrin. Considering the options though (since they specify upcoming, the options are Star Fox Zero, Zelda Wii U, Hyrule Warriors Legends and Paper Jam), if Sakurai wanted a newcomer from an upcoming game, his only options were really Corrin, Paper Mario or a Warriors character. If you had to pick between FE, Mario and Zelda in terms of advertising one, I honestly feel like the choice (FE) is obvious.

There's also the fact that Fire Emblem Awakening got released in Japan the same year Sakurai finished Kid Icarus Uprising and started development on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. In that one translated interview, he stated that he probably wouldn't even consider Awakening characters at all if Fire Emblem Awakening were to be released earlier or later than 2012 (that was before he had any plans for DLC).

The problem with FE in Smash is HOW was so much promoted by continuous additions: there were Lucina, Robin, Roy AND CORRIN.

Four in a row, yikes. That's quite what I call an outstanding growth.

But actually, I don't care on the other hand. You know, Fire Emblem was in danger of extinction if not for Awakening's success. A bit of over-advertising never hurts, a necessary evil if you wouldn't mind that way. But it's the way it is.

Edited by Edrall

Actually yes, Sakurai felt a DLC character should be a Melee vet.

With the exception of Mewtwo and Ryu (as far as I'm aware), every DLC character filled a predetermined slot:

- Roy, the returning fighter from Melee

- Lucas, the returning fighter from Brawl

- Cloud, the most requested Final Fantasy character

- Corrin, a character from an upcoming game

- Bayonetta, the most requested character

And? These are criteria he came up with himself. Let me tell you a make believe scenario. Here's the reason Meta-Ridley, King K Rool, Tetra, Cia, and Peppy are in the game. Disclaimer: I'm not specifically saying any of these characters should really be in the game.

Meta Ridley, the most requested Metroid series character.

King K Rool, the most requested Donkey Kong series character.

Cia, a new character from the popular Hyrule Warriors game.

Tetra, a character from a recent HD remake title.

Peppy Hare, a character from an upcoming game.

See, I can make up whatever criteria I like, and Legend of Zelda got "lucky" by getting two more DLC characters. Sakurai is the game director, there are no coincidences for content getting in the game, least of all when it concerns characters coming from a series he really likes.

EDIT: Even concerning the original criteria he chose, Mewtwo is a melee vet chosen for DLC and "character from an upcoming game" could be a lot of characters besides Kamui. For a series that already got two new characters in the base game, I think Fire Emblem was adequately served without even concerning DLC.

Edited by NekoKnight

Meta Ridley, the most requested Metroid series character.

King K Rool, the most requested Donkey Kong series character.

Cia, a new character from the popular Hyrule Warriors game.

Tetra, a character from a recent HD remake title.

Peppy Hare, a character from an upcoming game.

I don't think people would have been nearly as happy with this set of characters to be perfectly frank with you.

Ridley and K Rool? Yeah tons of happiness except in Japan where they'd be absolutely enraged with Sakurai putting Ridley in, Cia, Tetra and Peppy would have got nearly universal disdain. Because it would be, "Oh a Team Ninja character... Great", "Oh another Zelda? Did we need a third Zelda?" and "Why isn't it Wolf?"

With what we got, we have the 2 fan favorite cut veterans of Melee, one of the fan favorite cut veterans of Brawl, the Face of Final Fantasy, freaking Bayonetta and an upcoming new FE character. Bit better of a set imo. It still amazes me that people on an FE forum are so bitter that FE is actually getting some much needed attention.

But to be perfectly honest, no matter what happened. We'd still be discussing why people are salty about a set of characters, no matter who they were.

Edited by Jedi

See, I can make up whatever criteria I like, and Legend of Zelda got "lucky" by getting two more DLC characters. Sakurai is the game director, there are no coincidences for content getting in the game, least of all when it concerns characters coming from a series he really likes.

EDIT: Even concerning the original criteria he chose, Mewtwo is a melee vet chosen for DLC and "character from an upcoming game" could be a lot of characters besides Kamui. For a series that already got two new characters in the base game, I think Fire Emblem was adequately served without even concerning DLC.

What you're missing is that the slot was filled after the criteria was decided. I'm not saying it's a coincedence, but I don't think Sakurai liking Fire Emblem has anything to do with it. Heck, he was hesitant to add Corrin because he'd be the sixth FE character and only went with it when the moveset decided on worked out the best. (See Source Gaming).

Also, interestingly enough, Sakurai never referred to Mewtwo as a Melee vet. The only character he described as a Melee vet was Roy. This may be due to Mewtwo's spot being decided much in advance, or at least a Melee vet slot being decided after Mewtwo was planned. I dunno. So if your options are Roy, Pichu and Young Link, I'd like to think the choice is pretty straightforward, as much as I would have preferred Pichu.

It still amazes me that people on an FE forum are so bitter that FE is actually getting some much needed attention.

Way I look at it, people are kind of bitter we've lost our niche status in video games ((even though many of the older games will still hold that, FE doesn't number its games like FF does so not everyone knows Awakening is FE13)) and they've reverted to hipsterism by saying they liked FE before it was mainstream ((but continue to support it anyway)). And to an extent that's true. A lot of our older things we won't get back. I don't think we're gonna see MU go away any time soon, and the marriage system looks like it's here to stay for a bit. Either way that's somewhat irrelevant. I think the representation in FE in Smash is a bit extra, especially it's on par with Pokemon, one of the best known and best selling franchises from Nintendo there is. That said, FE kind of exploded in popularity recently due to FE13, and it's probably a great sign that we're getting so much out of it in Smash.

nekoknight here's a tip

please pick actually good DLC characters if you're trying to prove a point

because you just make your own point look awful if you're attempting to battle Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta with Cia, Ridley, Peppy, K. Rool, and Tetra. The only one of those who are even decent is Tetra.

and yes you are targeting the FE characters but who even cares

like, roy being gone would not mean that someone super cool would be there, and Corrin does not mean anything else. I despise Splatoon so Inklings would have be vomiting. Fiora would have been best because Xenoblade 3D or something but ah well

nekoknight here's a tip

please pick actually good DLC characters if you're trying to prove a point

because you just make your own point look awful if you're attempting to battle Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta with Cia, Ridley, Peppy, K. Rool, and Tetra. The only one of those who are even decent is Tetra.

and yes you are targeting the FE characters but who even cares

like, roy being gone would not mean that someone super cool would be there, and Corrin does not mean anything else. I despise Splatoon so Inklings would have be vomiting. Fiora would have been best because Xenoblade 3D or something but ah well

You were making a good point until you said that Splatoon would be a bad choice and Fiora would be a good one.

If you go by popularity, then I'm pretty sure some of the choices for DLC would be

Inklings

Isaac

King K. Rool

Ridley

Waddle Dee

Wolf

Shantae

(This list may not be entirely accurate, it's just what I've mostly seen.)

You were making a good point until you said that Splatoon would be a bad choice and Fiora would be a good one.

If you go by popularity, then I'm pretty sure some of the choices for DLC would be

Inklings

Isaac

King K. Rool

Ridley

Waddle Dee

Wolf

Shantae

(This list may not be entirely accurate, it's just what I've mostly seen.)

of those I like Bandana Dee and Shantae

yeah no Fiora was my most wanted DLC newcomer along with Dunban and Melia and Bandana Dee because Xenoblade is the best game ever

I love Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta but lol how could Splatoon ever stand up to the perfect game that changed my life: Xenoblade?

the only Mii costume I even bought was Dunban so no thnx to anything else

It still amazes me that people on an FE forum are so bitter that FE is actually getting some much needed attention.

The Fe. Get it? Maybe not all the folks here are FE fans, and don't know where to find another Nintendo forum.

of those I like Bandana Dee and Shantae

yeah no Fiora was my most wanted DLC newcomer along with Dunban and Melia and Bandana Dee because Xenoblade is the best game ever

I love Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta but lol how could Splatoon ever stand up to the perfect game that changed my life: Xenoblade?

the only Mii costume I even bought was Dunban so no thnx to anything else

My point being is that those are your opinions.

^^I mean that's fair but after being here five years I can say most of the people here ((esp the well known bunch)) are pretty big FE fans, even if they don't play as much as they used to.

Edited by Papyrus