Controversial Aspects in Fates? (Possible Censorship in NA?)

Perriot Lunaire

Leaked image of Camilla's new design, courtesy of Treehouse.

3426307191_3ca18011a8.jpg

This is a SFW board. Can you spoiler the racy images?

Those two openly-gay NPCs even look identical.

Clearly the gay bandit twins decided to hop on a spaceship to Mira.

But yeah, back on the subject of Fates, I can also see them censoring some of the skimpier outfits a little, at least on the younger characters. XCX has some extremely skimpy bathing suits, but on Lin they become much more modest. I can see them doing that maybe for the youngest royals and Midoriko.

I'd approve of such "censorship". Although the real problem stems from having underage characters equal participants in adult relationships/activities.

Edited by NekoKnight

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the same folk who translated Xenoblade Chronicles X? If so I can see the raunchy jokes/skinship lines staying.

Nope; 8-4 did Xenoblade X, while FE14 is being done in-house by NOA (or in-Treehouse, to be exact).

It seems kind of stupid to censor their clothing in a game where they're killing people left and right.

Eh, I essentially think the opposite. I mean, those two elements are used together after all. The implication that the act of murdering people is apparently meant to be sexy and arousing deeply disturbs me.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't know that anyone else is seeing that implication.

There has to be some reason why one would mix sex and violence like that. Of course one could also try to deliberately disturb the audience, but I never got the impression that this is what they were going for.

Edited by BrightBow

A friend of mine also told me that Foleo's supports with Eponine and Soleil are really bad, the former fetishizing homosexuality (As you would expect from Eponine, but not to this degree) and the latter verging on sexual assault. But I haven't actually read them myself so I don't know the exact details.

I haven't read them either but there are some pretty cringey supports that made it through in Awakening (ex: Inigo x Nah, Kellam x Nowi, etc), so who really knows? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There has to be some reason why one would mix sex and violence like that. Of course one could also try to deliberately disturb the audience, but I never got the impression that this is what they were going for.

I don't think that's what they were going for at all.

Many JRPGs have sexy outfits, and in almost all of these you kill people. Take for example Tales of Symphonia: I can have Sheena kill all human/half elf/elf bosses in a skimpy swimsuit.

But can this truly be seen as actual violence? I think not-- the picture you see does not have blood or an incredibly shocking depiction of pain, it's only anime people going GUH!! and then getting used to mop the floor. It feels more like seeing people mocking a fight, without true bruises and pain. It's just cool looking anime fighting, like BlazBlue.

Now I remember that they added clothes getting torn, but that's probably another way for fanservice and show more sorcerass.

I guess a good way to put it is "Anime fights are cool, but anime fights with people in sexy clothes are cooler and also sexy".

Plus, now they added the option to move the camera and zoom in, to get good shots. It's all titillation and for the most part, with the dress store in My Castle, it doesn't even have to be in-battle.

AFAIK you can't use sexy outfits and accessories outside of My Castle (probably due to cutscenes and such), but I could be wrong.

I don't think they're trying to deliberately interplay violence and sex. The games started out as just violence, then people took a liking to the characters off the battlefield, sometimes in weird sexual ways, so IS indulged it.

The stuff that goes on in the barracks, or support convos, or My Castle are pretty much entirely divorced from the actual battlefield and combat.

Leaked image of Camilla's new design, courtesy of Treehouse.

3426307191_3ca18011a8.jpg

Tis simply beautiful and stunning, more so than her Japanese outfit.

Nintendo knows what us Murican's want.

Also HOW in the living hell does marrying a child character make you a pedo? Most of them are grown. Stupidest thing I've read all day.

Edited by GrayClouds23

Because skimpy outfits are the big trend in anime and this lets them dip into the otaku market more heavily. When you talk about "mixing sex and violence" you make it sound like you're stripping them naked and punching them in the face.

I don't think they're trying to deliberately interplay violence and sex. The games started out as just violence, then people took a liking to the characters off the battlefield, sometimes in weird sexual ways, so IS indulged it.

The stuff that goes on in the barracks, or support convos, or My Castle are pretty much entirely divorced from the actual battlefield and combat.

I think part of it it is, like I said above, tied in to anime. Looking at the promotional art for the older games, even, there's a lot of similarity to styles from anime of the time. And right now that's what's popular in it.

some of the replies in here. S M H.

Anyway, likely junk thats gonna get localized differently:

Niles' naughtier moments. (Such as his supports with Elise, etc)

Pieri. Like most of her.

Skinship lines not being AS lewd.

Possible wording dealing with the Hoshidan siblings. (Japanese version doesnt even hint remotely that this lot isnt blood related unless on a specific path and/or in supplimental stuff)

Some characters getting aged up a bit/deeper voice acting.

Soliel's support with MU.

Stuff UNLIKELY to get censored:
Camilla's scene in Birthright right before you fight her.

Costumes/clothing.

The ability or inability to S support a character.

Removal of entire features.

I can agree with most of that, though I'm not sure what you mean about Pieri. Remember that they made Henry MORE sociopathic in the localization.

Costumes/clothing I can see going either way, though. Some of them are very skimpy, yes, and some of the characters are suspiciously youthful, so they might clean that up a bit, but at the same time they're all rather low res models anyway.

I have a strange feeling that the big N will make it if you are

female Sakura and Hinakona will be related to you by blood

male Ryoma and Takumi be related to you by blood

What do you mean by this?

I don't think this will be the case at all, given it's highly unlikely

1. that they will change Kamui's parentage

2. that Mikoto could have mothered two non-consecutive children while Sumeragi was married to Ikona, given she only recently fled to Hoshido and was already pregnant with Kamui when she got there (making her motherhood to Ryoma and Hinoka impossible)

UNLESS they completely change that storyline

Edited by nordopolica

I can agree with most of that, though I'm not sure what you mean about Pieri. Remember that they made Henry MORE sociopathic in the localization.

The difference is Henry doesn't actually kill people randomly.

Costumes/clothing I can see going either way, though. Some of them are very skimpy, yes, and some of the characters are suspiciously youthful, so they might clean that up a bit, but at the same time they're all rather low res models anyway.

Henry wasnt perpetually nine years old inside, remember? Pieri literally behaves like a nine year old girl in the Japanese version. She speaks in third person and acts so childish and this is why she has such rapid moodswings and cries at the drop of a hat. She literally doesnt understand that a lot of what she does is wrong. She basically a little girl psychologically trapped in a grown body. Its pretty fucked up and makes a lot of interactions with her (supports) very very questionable. (see Zero's S support with her for a good example.)

Henry, hes more psycho in localization, but he gets called out on it in supports and he does act like a young adult for the most part. Pieri being murderous isnt the thing thats gonna change.

It seems kind of stupid to censor their clothing in a game where they're killing people left and right.

The difference is, the characters are soldiers fighting in a war. Killing is unavoidable unless you're Kamui. Revealing outfits and child brides is something for the players to enjoy (I cringed while typing this.)

some of the replies in here. S M H.

Anyway, likely junk thats gonna get localized differently:

Niles' naughtier moments. (Such as his supports with Elise, etc)

Pieri. Like most of her.

Skinship lines not being AS lewd.

Possible wording dealing with the Hoshidan siblings. (Japanese version doesnt even hint remotely that this lot isnt blood related unless on a specific path and/or in supplimental stuff)

Some characters getting aged up a bit/deeper voice acting.

Soliel's support with MU.

Stuff UNLIKELY to get censored:

Camilla's scene in Birthright right before you fight her.

Costumes/clothing.

The ability or inability to S support a character.

Removal of entire features.

I agree with most of these. Pieri might remain mostly intact. I think instances of violence (as far as western sensibilities go) can be played off as comical but sexual indecency (underage characters, incest, etc) will be taken more seriously and altered.

So she's like an inside-out Nyx then. :P

Sorta. Another thing, Nyx. Nyx being physically a kid is likely to change. I think they are going to make it so Nyx's physical body is like nearly 18 years old instead of like 12

What do you mean by this?

I don't think this will be the case at all, given it's highly unlikely

1. that they will change Kamui's parentage

2. that Mikoto could have mothered two non-consecutive children while Sumeragi was married to Ikona, given she only recently fled to Hoshido and was already pregnant with Kamui when she got there (making her motherhood to Ryoma and Hinoka impossible)

UNLESS they completely change that storyline

Considering that the existing timeline already is a bit sketchy, I'd be impressed if they made it a hell of a lot worse in the localized version.

Edited by Sunwoo

Considering that the existing timeline already is a bit sketchy, I'd be impressed if they made it a hell of a lot worse in the localized version.

Honestly I'm looking forward to seeing how much if any of that particular plot point changes in the localisation mostly because I want to see how they stumble through that mess. Keep it the same and it's the same mess, change it and it could range from 'superfluous' to 'trainwreck.' I'm excited for the latter, to be honest.