Excellent time to be a FF fan

Life

Also, there was this rule of 'Run away from FF sequel' after FFX-2, which I still haven't even played.

I consider that FFX-2 is superior too FFX.

For that, I need to explain my main problem with FFX : It feels completely insincere. It wants to be a serous drama in a rich, beautifull and mysterious world.

And it is pretty damn stunning, not gonna lie.

Every new environment is a feast for the eyes. An invitation to adventure and discovery accompanied by an amazing soundtrack.

But it also have pretty ridiculous moment (every time Wakka talk, the costumes, ...) that distract from the story because they don't seems to be assumed. The best example is Tidus, who is childish, selfish (kinda go with childish), and downright manipulative (His relation with Yuna wants to pass as "romantic" but is particularily unealthy), but in the end, with no effort of his part and no character growth whatsoever, he becomes some sort of saint.

FFX-2 assumes this part of ridiculenes and totally embraces it. It's light, and pretty dumb, but it's fun. The games doesn't really wants anything more than having fun with its world, and such made me like the world far more than FFX ever did.

TL;DR version : FFX is "Avatar" written by an emo teen

well now TAY is on steam and uses the graphics of the ff4 steam release. i personally enjoyed TAY. has some interesting mechanics and the story i thought was decent enough. but it has a weird structure kinda like SA1 if you've played that game. not as good as the original but enjoyable enough in it's own right.

To be perfectly honnest, my opinions on it are quite mixed. His episodic nature, and kinda grindy system if you want to be fully equipped can be quite awkward.

The scenario itself is a mixed bag.

The best demonstration of this Palom. His relation with Leonora is pretty interresting, and good character growth, but the love triangle with Luca is something expectd out of a bad Harem Anime.

Same thing with the main villain, whose idea is truly interresting but execution is kinda lacking.

The gameplay addition are interresting : the moon phases is in theory a good way to adds a little more strategy, and the multi chracter attack are quite fun.

The lack of music at some point is also kinda annoying.

It's disappointing because it follows a classic title, and could have been great. In truth, it's not that horrible, but it does suffer from a sort of hype backlash and is never truly able to be as good as the original

Its rushed nature continue to put it down.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I like your opinion on FFX and FFX-2, it's very interesting. And then I'm saying 'interesting', I'm not being sarcastic, I really thing it's interesting.

In fact, I agree with it, I like FFX, but I'm not gonna lie, some part of it, as in a lot of it, I don't like it. Tidus, I dunno what to make of him, because he is just so many things in this game, I don't really hate him, I find his childiness endearing. it's just as if the writers didn't exactly knew what to do, which is probably the case, considering that it was confirmed that there was some dummied out content and that they were late in development.

It doesn't help that the last time I played it, was the same time I was ridiculously blind to things such as the vallue dissonances in Persona 4.

And this is one of the reasons I once said in a topic that 'since FFX, FF is not the same'; because they took the awkwardness of FFX's storyline and writing, and put it in future FF, and imo, it is bad.. Then I was laughed at and my heart cried bouhou.

The gameplay of FFX ? I find it great. Genius even.

It doesn't change the fact that playing FFX gave me the need to sleep too. Damned road.

FFX is such a mixed bag.

Edited by B.Leu

I want to get a gaming PC for FFXI and FFXIV, but are they worth playing? And are they pay to play or buy to play? If the former, I won't do it, but if the latter, I'll definitely consider.

Both games are amazing but they are subscription games. They come with a month of game time when you first purchase them and you can get FFXIV pretty cheap whenever it's on sale, so if you just want to polish off the story content it ends up being plenty of time. The user base in FFXI is dwindling as it is over 10 years old at this point but FFXIV is still very active.

If you ever decide to play FFXIV I am Samias Lemura on Behemoth and I play pretty frequently.

@Sami,

I just downloaded 14 w/ Hsward during the steam sale this weekend....might see you in another MMO that we share interest in :D

FFX-2 assumes this part of ridiculenes and totally embraces it. It's light, and pretty dumb, but it's fun. The games doesn't really wants anything more than having fun with its world, and such made me like the world far more than FFX ever did.

In the words of Spoony, a Sandbox Final Fantasy with literal days of sidequesting

Edited by Elieson

@Sami,

I just downloaded 14 w/ Hsward during the steam sale this weekend....might see you in another MMO that we share interest in :D

Whoo! I don't know if you picked a server yet but if you are at least on the Primal data centre we might run into each other through duty finder. Behemoth is a medium-large server but it's usually open to character creation unlike the uber big boy servers of Gilgamesh and Balmung which are on the Aether data centre.

With regards to FFVI, there was a Christmas sale going on in the Play Store and I bought that shit for about 30 NIS (equivalent to $10). As opposed to my original cart on the GBA for $25 a good 10 years ago. Having Bushido fixed is worth the 30 NIS right there. It's double the price now, of course.

As for the guy who wanted to know where to start, VI and IX are my choices. IV is not a well designed game (this one isn't arguable because the game leaves very little to the imagination), V is slightly difficult for beginners and I/II can be pains in the ass. VII hasn't aged well, VIII isn't the first game you want to try since it'll turn you off of the series and while I love X and XIII (especially XIII and its sequels), don't go there for a while.

VI has it all. Vibrant characters with personalities (something that Aeris, Cait Sith and Red XIII desperately need in the remake), an excellent battle system where each character feels distinctive but the mix and match possibilities are endless and an expansive world where you can legitimately explore to your heart's content. Granted, the last point applies to the second half of the game but once you get there (and you will know when), the game literally says "alright, now it's on you to find my goodies if you want or to put the final boss in the ground if that pleases your fancy".

And then there's Kefka. Probably the single best villain in FF history (Kuja ranks a close second), he's very well fleshed out and he's the kind of villain that you love to hate. You just want to take him out for all the misery he's caused because he doesn't give two shits about anyone else. That's all I'll say in order to avoid ruining the story but since you meet Kefka within the first 10 minutes of the game, you'll understand what I mean.

IX is the other game I put up and that's a great console entry for FF newbies. Like VI, you have a diverse team with amazing personalities (it's always nice when the main love interest for the protagonist isn't dumb as a rock), a very accessible and fun battle system that is similar to IV and VI and another amazing villain. The world itself is quite fleshed out and even the philosophical tones of questions of existence work within the story. It's another excellent starting point for those new to the series.

• 2 weeks later...

FF9's gone live on Mobile, and until 2/21, sells for $16.99

Square Enix launched Final Fantasy 9 today on mobile devices. The PlayStation classic is now available on the App Store and Google Play for $16.99 — that's 20 percent off its regular price, a discount that's offered through Feb. 21.

Although the description for the game says the price is applicable starting tomorrow,Final Fantasy 9 is available to buy right now. In its mobile version, the game will offer new features, like high-speed and no encounter modes. It will also offer autosaving and achievements. Its visuals, although updated for the hardware, strongly resemble those of the original game's — unlike previous Final Fantasy ports for smart devices, like Final Fantasy 6.

In December, Square Enix announced that the role-playing game would be coming to both mobile devices and Windows PC. The PC release is still on the way and is pegged for an "early 2016" launch, according to its Steam listing. The Steam page mentions that Final Fantasy 9 for PC will include many of the new features added to the mobile versions.

No encounter mode seems curious...I might splurge on this, since I just got an iPhone 6 and had no idea that I had 17.45$ in iTunes money from like, 5 years ago, just sitting on my account

Edited by Elieson

I'm awaiting reviews, since the app store/play store descriptions are vague on the "multiple add-ons", but considering the FastForward mode and AutoSave, I might just splurge just for those.

Also, if I buy it on Mobile, I might actually play it lol. my PC gaming backlog is too huge

I-store and Play-store say:

・7 game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.

Assuming we have 1 and 2 for High Speed and No Encounter modes, the other entire set of other game-mode "boosters" should include:

0b24a9ef46.jpg

1. High Speed
  2. No Encounters
  3. Master Abilities
  4. Lv/Magic Stone Max
  5. Gil Max
  6. ?
  7. ?

I wonder what the other two are...Probably will be announced in the next day or so, when ppl like Kotaku and IGN download it.

Also This is a 4GB game on Android, and 2.1GB on iDevice, so I hope you have pleeeeeeeeenty of space.

Edited by Elieson

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, February 9, 2016 - no u
Hidden by eclipse, February 9, 2016 - no u

ugh just delete this

Edited by Elieson

Heh, those easy mode options. I actually don't mind, if you want to just play FF9 for the story and not spend a hundred hours on sidequests then this is the best way to do it. Especially for a mobile game where battery life is at a premium so you only get to play for chunks at a time. $16+ is a bit too high for my blood though, as the original is on PSN and playable on the PSP for only $10. High speed mode might honestly be worth the extra money though. Too bad the CDN$ is crap right now.

Edited by Samias

Doubleposting because http://m.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-ix/IOS_and_Android_Cheats

The 7 boosters are out.

Mid-battle, you can activate 9999 dmg mode, Full Meters mode, 0 random battles mode (totally need for low level playthroughs without demanding that you flee constantly, huge timesaver) and fast forward which i guess speeds up everything but the in game clock?

Edited by Elieson

Doubleposting because http://m.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-ix/IOS_and_Android_Cheats

The 7 boosters are out.

Mid-battle, you can activate 9999 dmg mode, Full Meters mode, 0 random battles mode (totally need for low level playthroughs without demanding that you flee constantly, huge timesaver) and fast forward which i guess speeds up everything but the in game clock?

Ah so they continue the traditions of the re-releases of 7 and 8, 7 had a Cloud save feature and you could boost your stats and levels stupidly high if you wanted.

8 had a nice thing where it would give you low-mid-some high level spells at 100 draws for junctioning if you wanted.