What's with the hate on the fire element?

ChronosFlame

Sorry, guess it's not the most important thing, but what's with fire being the weakest tome (with no crits/skills) and petit fire is the unfit for battle? Is there no other fire-themed spell than the bad ones?

I can't say. It could'be been worse, though (and in fact, it WAS in Genealogy).

I don't know much about the tome situation in Fates, but based on my experience in Awakening, wind tomes are obviously good for their high accuracy and bonus damage, and thunder tomes have higher might and crit chance than their fire counterparts even though some accuracy is sacrificed. So fire was, unfortunately, just a little too mediocre in everything...

And the game threw way too many Bolganone's at me when I was doing post-game grinding. Sold them for Thoron's and Celica's Gale's :P

I want to see more anima magic types outside of those three. Maybe ice magic that's weak like wind, but inflicts debuffs, or earth magic that hits the target's Defense instead of Resistance.

Generally Ice magic goes under the Wind category, while Earth Magic is associated with Dark Magic.

I feel that Fire Tomes suffer from being too basic. They should have some sort of secondary effect like a 10-20% chance of inflicting a burn status that reduces hp by a little bit every turn or an atk/def debuff like in Pokemon which actually does both but only the attack stat is cut.

How good fire was in the various FEs (that iv'e played)

FE3: Fire is outclassed by thunder, but elfire is good when you need extra power and the enemy is not very fast. Bolganone does an absolute ton of damage, but is a brick. Both can be usefull.

FE4: By far the worst magic type in the game. Who exactly thought it was a good idea to diferentiate tomes by changing the wieght and nothing else. Valafleme is great though, so of course it is enemy only. That being said, the way weapon ranks work means that some people are stuck as fire users, and they can get a lot of use out of it.

FE5: literaly the only magic type in the game with a mid rank tome, and meteor is easy to capture midgame. Bolganone got dummied out though, so no high rank closs ange tome. Most people start with a higher rank in another tome type. Also impossible to find endgame.

FE6-8: Just fire and elfire again. It varies slightly, but fire tends to be your bread and butter untill you promote and stop getting wieghed down by thunder. Elfire tends to be the most powerfull buyable tome (although aircalaber in fe6 ties it and has better other stats). Forblaze also appears as the ultimate anima tome in 6 and 7, and it's really good

FE9: all the dedicated fire mages stink. Thunder is also a much better type. Fire is effective against beast laguz, though, which can be usefull.

FE10: Thunder's nerf (plus the fact that the game gives you an arcfire early) gives fire a niche. Rexflame also apparently the best magic for endgame, but i havn't got that far.

FE11: Same as FE3, exept they changed bolganone, to just be more powerfull and less acurate than elfire, and not have the weight gimick. It is the most powerfull tome you can buy, which is nice

FE12: you get one copy of bolganone, on the last chapter, by which point it tends to be pointless. Elfire is the most powerfull tome you can buy, but noferatu and shaver get used a lot instead of it. Katrina's book is pretty good, if you randomly get one, but fire is still outclassed by thunder, and nurufire has 1 point of might. Meteor Is incredably good, but you only get it for one of the DLC chapters.

FE13: The generic fire tomes are inferior to either thunder or wind depending on the situation, but the special ones are all bpretty good. Just like in fe4, Valaflame is still the best one due to its magic boost (which is even moere usefull because it boosts staff range, but you can actualy get one this time. Dying blaze has glass weapon utility (incredably powerfull. E rank. 3 uses.) Michia's pyre is iavalble infinatly to buy from spotpass teams as soon as that feature onlocks, and it is better than all the B rank generic tomes IMO. That being said, celicia's gale is better.

TL;DR Fire tomes of ten have "most spamable" , "best i can get" or "best i can buy" utility but other magic types tend to be better overlal.

Edited by sirmola

Maybe Fire Tomes could deal extra damage (Not like x2 or x3, just x1.5 or x1.33) damage to armored units?

Or maybe something other than armored units, since armor should logically protect you from fire magic better than it does thunder magic...

Maybe Fire Tomes could deal extra damage (Not like x2 or x3, just x1.5 or x1.33) damage to armored units?

Or maybe something other than armored units, since armor should logically protect you from fire magic better than it does thunder magic...

Armored units tended to be gimped enough, especially after Awakening undid Radiant Dawn's buffs to them.

I dunno, in all my runs of Awakening I find that magic tends to outclass physical weapons in just about every way. The only enemies with good Resistance tend to be War Monks/Clerics, and they don't have much offensive presence anyway. And all Magic is two-ranged by default, giving them a huge advantage over everything except Tomahawks, Levin Swords, and Spears.

I was under the impression magic got nerfed pretty hard here, though?

Dark Magic got destroyed in this incarnation. There's an unused Mire tome, but the only Dark Magic we have now is Nosferatu. The tome has been reduced to lacking the ability to use battle skills and double attack. =/

Back on topic...

...there is a Ragnarok tome that's Fire-based, though. It's similar to a Silver Weapon; it reduces your stats after use.

I assume that magic was never super game breaking. I think it is just Nosferatu in general. Tomes were not OP, but that specific one was.

Advera's Night and Nosferatu were crazy broken, but you're forgetting about Celicia's Gale too. I had my Laurent!Morgan Solo Ike's DLC map with that tome. Vantage + Luna + Wrath + Armsthrift = Death.

Dark Magic got destroyed in this incarnation. There's an unused Mire tome, but the only Dark Magic we have now is Nosferatu. The tome has been reduced to lacking the ability to use battle skills and double attack. =/

Yeah, I know about Dark Magic getting nerfed to the point of uselessness. I just was under the impression that magic in general (Or at least all the magic-using classes or units) was a lot weaker than it was in Awakening.